Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2004, 02:14 PM   #1
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quick FM Question

In my latest dynasty, I am a Welsh club playing in the English leagues. I remember seeing somewhere that clubs in England that were in another country got to play in the home nation's cup competitions. So even though I am in England, I would still get to play in the Wales Cup. Is this true and if yes is the a feature of FM?

GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:21 PM   #2
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I found this at http://www.walesonline.com/info/spor..._wleague.shtml:

Quote:
The creation of the first national football league for Wales in 1992 was a rather traumatic event. Because of geography, it has always been much easier to travel east-west than north-south, so it was natural for clubs to tend to look east to England for competitors, and the principal non-Football League teams such a Bangor City and Barry Town played in the English non-League pyramid. In the early 1990s UEFA insisted that clubs should not play in a "foreign" league (and arguments about the United Kingdom being one country do not wash with UEFA because all four countries participate in international competition in their own right), thus came about the creation of the League of Wales. Many of the northern clubs refused to participate in the new league initially, and for a time played their "home" English league games in exile at grounds to the east of the English border. Eventually the new order was accepted, although the presence in the English League of the professional Welsh teams, Cardiff City, Wrexham, and Swansea City, remains an anomaly in the eyes of UEFA, ameliorated only by their being debarred from competing for the Welsh Cup which used to provide one of them with near-guaranteed European competition each year.

So, it looks like it used to happen, but not any more.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
ice4277
Pro Rookie

dola

I seem to remember that about a year ago, Hammam, chairman of Cardiff, tried to either his reserve team or his youth team into the Welsh Cup, with the idea of (hopefully) winning it, then sending his full team into the UEFA Cup. I'm guessing they nixed that idea as well.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote