Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2004, 04:05 PM   #1
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Any tips to know the Fictional players in your Dynasty League?

Any tips to know the Fictional players in your Dynasty league when you are simming the games?

do you guys sim one game at a time, then look at stats for each team? or look at every gamelog, etc?

thanks

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

Honestly, jb, I have had a running dynasty of over 50 years that I still play in FOF, totally fictional teams and players (obviously). I really, only track my own team. I know a handful of players that never played for my team, usually because they dominate awards, for example. However, I usually recognize the name of any player who has played on my team, and I will check and see how they are doing.

If you want to get to know the entire league, join a multiplayer one, honestly. I am in no FOF one, but the OOTP league I am in, I essentially know the players like the back of my hand.

There are some great FOF leagues out there, would that suit your interest?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:38 PM   #3
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I know Keith Horne.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:43 PM   #4
vtbub
College Starter

Multiplayer is the best way. Not only do you learn about your players, but your other GM's learn about your players and everyone elses (see my sig).

If solo play is your thing, then I recommend Fast Break College Basketball or playing evry game out in OOTP, for your team. FBCB givs you the advantage of getting close to 14 guys and playing a max of 30 games a year.

FOF is good, but 46 man rosters in pro and 80+ in college makes it hard to know everybody.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:46 PM   #5
FBPro
College Starter

I've played over 100+ seasons w/ a couple of FOF careers and get to know my players only. They do change over time, etc but I check my boxscores after each game and at times my game logs but if you sim week by week as I do it isn't hard and I enjoy it.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:50 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

agreed with FB, i keep track of my own players and get to know them through the boxscores
Old 12-01-2004, 04:53 PM   #7
Anthony
Banned

at the very least spend some time looking over the end of season award screens. look at who won the All-FOF awards and click on as many as you like. once you start seeing the same names win multiple awards year ofter year you get a great idea who are the stars in your league. you might take an interest in that player's career after a while. look at the top FA's in the pool, see where they came from and then follow them as they score a huge contract - do they live up to their salary or were they busts as FA's. as you play decades and decades look at the list of former #1 overall picks. what kind of careers did they have?

do it enough and the same names will pop up often.

but the best way is to join an MP league. you not only will have owners who will promote their own players but will likely have some league writers who will be quick to highlight the accomplishments (and failures if the league hates you) of some of the league's top guys.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:29 PM   #8
jbmagic
Pro Starter

thanks guys

i am in an ootp 6 online league..really fun

once i get use of FOF solo play and get familar with FOF i join a online league too...i use to be in a FBpro 98 league that was fun...

i see most of you that sim in solo play is mainly just worry about learning your players on your team only...that makes sense....

it had me going crazy trying to get familar with every player in the league..

what kind of things you look at after you sim your team's game, before simming the next game?

how fast you guys sim?

Last edited by jbmagic : 12-01-2004 at 06:31 PM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:19 PM   #9
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

It depends, one season I had a quarterback who threw only one interception the whole season. I noticed the streak that he was on midway through and would check each time to see. You start to notice streaks like consecutive 100 yard games your back has or consecutive times you hold another team to under 100 yards rushing. Sometimes I'll look at a blowout to see if my back up qb got to play or if the game was close I'll check and see how the 4th quarter played out. The only thing I consistently check out for my team is the injury report.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:01 AM   #10
CraigSca
Pro Starter

In our TCY Groupthink, I've played out all our games and have provided write-ups as the game is happening. By far, I have become most familiar with this TCY team than all of my own solo projects. While it's probably not feasible to provide complete play-by-play write-ups of every TCY game you play, it might be fun to write-up a little fictional story about your team's game. It's a lot bigger investment on your part (and will slow you down considerably), but it'll be a more rewarding experience for you in the long run.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 12-02-2004 at 07:02 AM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:16 AM   #11
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

In single player, I usually watch my team's games play. This gives me a lot better feel for the players, and who is doing what.

I also usually keep track of things in a Word file, if not a dynasty. Doing a simple dynasty helps me tremendously in getting to know my players and keep track of things. I've played a few text-sim careers lately without doing that, and I just can't get into my teams as much. It's also a lot of fun to go back and read your team's history in a long career.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:19 PM   #12
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
thanks guys

i am in an ootp 6 online league..really fun

once i get use of FOF solo play and get familar with FOF i join a online league too...i use to be in a FBpro 98 league that was fun...

i see most of you that sim in solo play is mainly just worry about learning your players on your team only...that makes sense....

it had me going crazy trying to get familar with every player in the league..

what kind of things you look at after you sim your team's game, before simming the next game?

how fast you guys sim?

jb, i usually sim a game, check the box score, then go to the roster screen (during the season i have it set on the injury view) and see if i need to inactivate/activate any players due to new injuries. rinse, and repeat through the season.