Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2004, 02:17 AM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Baseball Offseason 2004-5 Thread

Bucc? What's the word down in San Diego about the little May/Long swap?

Here, it's basically "we're glad to be rid of that clubhouse cancer in Darrell even if we had to take on Long's awful contract because we were looking for an OF and with the cash we get back, it's a wash". Buckvich doesn't seem to have that high of a ceiling- hard thrower, can't harness it, average pitches. I'm happy to get Tank back who could benefit from a change in scenery but no one else seems to care. He's expected to work long relief and compete for the 5th spot in the rotation.

I'm assuming there it sounds something like "man, we're glad to get rid of Long and his contract and we got a 200 IP guy back". I'm guessing with a change of scenery, particularly changing leagues and being a puss armed lefty, he'll throw his 200 IP, give up less homers in a more pitcher friendly park, have a 4.50 ERA and you'll be happy to have gotten something for Long. Buckvich might find a spot in your pen as a 6th or 7th inning fireballer.

If May isn't too disgruntled (moving teams, probably not), you'll get a decent 5th starter while we're happy to be rid of him and maybe, just maybe we'll have gotten something in return.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:59 AM   #2
oykib
College Starter

Isn't Tankersley a part of that deal?

He was supposed to be the next big thing not that long ago.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:14 AM   #3
FBPro
College Starter

Yankees sign whoever they want..........who cares. Really sad though, since baseball used to be interesting for me.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:18 AM   #4
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
Yankees sign whoever they want..........who cares. Really sad though, since baseball used to be interesting for me.

What the hell does that have to do woth the price of tea in China?
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:22 AM   #5
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib

What is the price of tea in China BTW? Do you have any insider's info, you being in Japan and all???
Old 11-10-2004, 07:29 AM   #6
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:

It DOES!!! ?
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:35 AM   #7
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Isn't Tankersley a part of that deal?

He was supposed to be the next big thing not that long ago.

Yep, he was part of the deal. I don't know much of anything in regards to the guys we got from KC, to be honest.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:42 AM   #8
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Cubs fans, brace for impact.

Steve Stone's replacement on WGN has been announced - Bob "Barfy" Brenly.

Serious downgrade, IMO. Stone was one of the best in the business, and it was a mistake for the Cubs to bash him into resigning.

As for Brenly - meh.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:55 AM   #9
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
Serious downgrade, IMO. Stone was one of the best in the business, and it was a mistake for the Cubs to bash him into resigning.

Absolutely terrible. I don't dislike Brenly really but Steve Stone is the man. It'll be more weird watching a Cubs game without Stone than it was watching the Cubs without Harry.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:16 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, what was the deal a couple of years back when Stone wasn't doing games? Maybe 3-4 years ago, I remember they had someone else on there for a while, like he had retired for a season or two.

SI

Old 11-10-2004, 03:18 PM   #11
Suicane75
Coordinator

Bring Steve Stone to Philly and ship Chris Wheeler out to timbuck 2.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:25 PM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't know what the news out of Anaheim looks like, but it seems like the Pirates are interested in acquiring Jose Guillen, if he becomes available. Pirates' manager Lloyd McClendon was the hitting coach when Guillen came up with the Bucs and they apparently have a pretty good relationship.

Pirates also appear to be close to resignging Jose Mesa to another one-year deal. If Mesa pitches pretty well, like he did last season, the Pirates should have a pretty good setup team in place with Gonzalez-Torres-Mesa.

In non-Pirates related news, I read that the Dodgers and Mets are discussing a Piazza for Green deal. Might be interesting to see Piazza back in Dodger Blue, but he probably should be looking for a half catching/half DHing job at this point.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:28 PM   #13
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Well, what was the deal a couple of years back when Stone wasn't doing games? Maybe 3-4 years ago, I remember they had someone else on there for a while, like he had retired for a season or two.

SI

Stone had health issues and took two years away. He was replaced with Joe Carter for the majority of games. It was horrible.

I think Brenly's a decent guy, but I agree with others that he won't be as good as Steve Stone.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:28 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and HFP, apparently Baird has been wanting to get Kevin Mench for months now and is suposedly trying really hard to get him before the winter meetings are over. Any truth at all to these rumors and is Texas even trying to get rid of Mench?

SI

Old 11-10-2004, 03:28 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Pirates have been prominently mentioned as a possible destination for Guillen. Also mentioned: Mets, Expos, Royals and perhaps the Bluejays.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:29 PM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
Absolutely terrible. I don't dislike Brenly really but Steve Stone is the man. It'll be more weird watching a Cubs game without Stone than it was watching the Cubs without Harry.

Not that many people care, but Chip Caray also left, so it will be an entirely new crew.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:29 PM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Pirates have been prominently mentioned as a possible destination for Guillen. Also mentioned: Mets, Expos, Royals and perhaps the Bluejays.

CR

Yeah, he's been on the Royals radar ever since that little blowup at the end of the season gave him his ticket out of town.

SI

Old 11-10-2004, 03:33 PM   #18
Desnudo
Coordinator

Schilling ankle pictures. The surgery today was successful:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=1919387
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:34 PM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

are the pictures really necessary? we get it dude...you are tough.

When is it ever reported that surgery wasn't successful?

Last edited by rkmsuf : 11-10-2004 at 03:36 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:43 PM   #20
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
are the pictures really necessary? we get it dude...you are tough.

When is it ever reported that surgery wasn't successful?

When the guy dies.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:37 PM   #21
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Despite Bill Bavasi's emphatic denials, there are all kinds of rumors that Richie Sexson is all but signed by the M's.

I'm not sure I'm terribly excited by this, but I guess that depends on how much and for how long, and how it will affect any other signings this offseason. Hopefully Sexson is structurally sound after missing most of this season. From the numbers, he looks like a 1B version of Jay Buhner - moderate average, 40+ bombs, lots of strikeouts, enough walks to make the OBP respectable.

I don't recall hearing any great reviews on his fielding, but I haven't heard he's awful either. I guess I'll check the Stats, Inc review on him at ESPN.com...

EDIT - I checked his reviews, and he sounds like a pretty respectable fielder at 1B. Coming on the heels of John Olerud and David Segui, he'll have a lot to live up to in that area.

Last edited by dawgfan : 11-10-2004 at 09:38 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:33 PM   #22
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Oh, and HFP, apparently Baird has been wanting to get Kevin Mench for months now and is suposedly trying really hard to get him before the winter meetings are over. Any truth at all to these rumors and is Texas even trying to get rid of Mench?

SI

They have tried to trade him before. He supposedly isn't a Buck Showalter player for some stupid reason. I am sure the braintrust of Hart and Hicks will trade him for the worst pitcher in the Royals system, so the Royals will do great.

The only thing out of Rangers camp is they have no starting pitching and they aren't going to do much of anything in the FA market. Shocker.

I heard there has been talk of trading Soriano. I don't know to whom though.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:35 PM   #23
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog Purple
They have tried to trade him before. He supposedly isn't a Buck Showalter player for some stupid reason. I am sure the braintrust of Hart and Hicks will trade him for the worst pitcher in the Royals system, so the Royals will do great.

God knows we have a plethora of bad ones. We'll give you 2 or 3. How about Colt Griffin, 1st high schooler to ever throw 100. Hasn't gotten out of AA and can't throw strikes to save his life. He's perfect for you.

SI

Old 11-15-2004, 07:43 AM   #24
Ksyrup

Interesting bit from Jayson Stark's latest column:

Don't be so sure the Yankees will be willing to give Beltran whatever he wants -- or that Boss Steinbrenner is so desperate to win now that he'll be throwing money around like confetti.

One baseball man says the Yankees' payroll will be watched very carefully by MLB this winter -- because 1) Bud Selig's debt rules will, for the first time, be strictly enforced and 2) MLB continues to make noises that the Yankees are underestimating the true value of the YES network.

So if the Yankees are going to have a payroll north of $200 million -- plus pay another $100 million in luxury-tax and revenue-sharing bills -- they need to prove to the commish that they have more than $300 million in revenue to pay for it all.

But they're reporting to MLB that they make "only" $50 million a year from their own personal cable venture. The skeptics at MLB, on the other hand, have been quietly investigating to see if they're actually taking in a lot more.

So if they run up $300 million in bills next year while they're only claiming, say, $250 million in revenues, then the debt-rule police will start blowing their whistles.

Which could mean, believe it or not, that even the Yankees have their limits. Sheez, what's the world coming to?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-15-2004 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:10 PM   #25
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Regarding Soriano.

I have heard Javier Vasquez for Soriano.

Also.. The Tigers, according to ESPN.com, are the ones who will end up with Matt Clement. I think that is a solid pick up for the Tigers, because we need another right hander.

If we do get Clement, I think Maroth is probably gone. I doubt he'll move to the pen, so he'll wind up getting traded. He's a solid lefty who can give good innings, so he has some value. Question is, where will he wind up?

Anyone have any ideas?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #26
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have heard Javier Vasquez for Soriano.

Why would Texas do that? Vasquez makes a ton of money as well, thanks to the deal Steinny has given him. I'd think they'd want cheaper pitchers for Soriano.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:45 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Latest rumor in Atlanta seems to be ??? for Kevin Brown. Some say that ??? is Andruw Jones, but that seems a little unlikely to me.

Other tidbit that seems to be getting some play (courtesy of ESPN I suspect) is Armando Benitez to the Braves ... which would seem to imply Smoltz is going to get a shot at the rotation. Also Millwood back to Atlanta, presumably as a replacement for Ortiz?

Eh, I just think they ought to re-sign J.D. Drew & then sort out everything else.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:05 PM   #28
Ksyrup

Moving Smoltz into the rotation has definitely been discussed. Problem is, for 2005, he has incentives that would earn him $15M if he makes 30 starts (base salary plus $100K a start). So, I've read that they might be willing to guarantee him another year (he'll be a free agent after 2005) in exchange for dropping the incentives. Either way, he intends to be a starter in 2006 with the Braves or someone else.

Andruw Jones is getting moved if the Braves can find someone to take him. If they don't trade him, they can't afford to make a run at Drew or do much else. I read somewhere that right now, they have a little over $4M to work with.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:10 PM   #29
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
One baseball man says the Yankees' payroll will be watched very carefully by MLB this winter -- because 1) Bud Selig's debt rules will, for the first time, be strictly enforced and 2) MLB continues to make noises that the Yankees are underestimating the true value of the YES network.

So if they run up $300 million in bills next year while they're only claiming, say, $250 million in revenues, then the debt-rule police will start blowing their whistles.

What are debt rules?
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:14 PM   #30
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Moving Smoltz into the rotation has definitely been discussed. Problem is, for 2005, he has incentives that would earn him $15M if he makes 30 starts (base salary plus $100K a start). So, I've read that they might be willing to guarantee him another year (he'll be a free agent after 2005) in exchange for dropping the incentives. Either way, he intends to be a starter in 2006 with the Braves or someone else.

Andruw Jones is getting moved if the Braves can find someone to take him. If they don't trade him, they can't afford to make a run at Drew or do much else. I read somewhere that right now, they have a little over $4M to work with.

I would not be surprised to see the Red Sox trade for Jones. I know Johnny Damon (Baseball Jesus) is the hero of the playoffs, but Jones seems to fit the Red Sox profile. Just a gut feeling.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:15 PM   #31
MrBug708
Head Coach

One rumor has the Angels and Mets swapping Guillen for Piazza, amoung other names. Piazza might bring over a few more Dodger fans and gets rid of Guillen.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:52 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Anybody that wants Andruw can have him AFAIC, give us some reliable pitching in return.

And as much as I like Smoltz as a closer (which is a lot) the starter experiment (whether he's hell-bent & determined to do it or not) is a disaster waiting to happen. Far better it happen on somebody's else's dime than Atlanta's. And I'll wonder whatever happened to the days when coaches/managers told players their roles instead of the other way around?
Old 11-15-2004, 03:44 PM   #33
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Why would Texas do that? Vasquez makes a ton of money as well, thanks to the deal Steinny has given him. I'd think they'd want cheaper pitchers for Soriano.

If they pull that off, Texas can officially be designated as the dumping ground for unwanted Yankees players.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:30 PM   #34
stevew
Hall Of Famer

ExpoSeNationals already appear to be overpaying free agents.

Quote:
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The Expos made their first big splash since announcing their move to Washington, agreeing Tuesday to a $6.2 million, two-year contract with third baseman Vinny Castilla and a $16.8 million, four-year deal with shortstop Cristian Guzman.

Castilla, 37, hit .271 with 35 homers and an NL-leading 131 RBIs last season for Colorado, the best season for the two-time All-Star since he was with the Rockies in 1990s. Castilla also has played for Atlanta, Houston and Tampa Bay, and has 303 career home runs.

Guzman, a 26-year-old switch-hitter, batted .274 last season with eight homers, 46 RBIs and 10 steals, and he led AL shortstops with a .983 fielding percentage.

"The nice things about this is that two big holes on the left side of the infield are filled," manager Frank Robinson said. "It was nice to go out and fill those holes in a short period of time with quality players."

The signings were the first major moves by Jim Bowden, hired as general manager on Nov. 2 to replace Omar Minaya, who became GM of the New York Mets. Bowden said he hasn't been told how much money he can spend by the commissioner' office, which is operating the team until it is sold.
"We do not have a budget, but we're trying to send this franchise in the right direction," Bowden said. "We couldn't wait to make these moves. We wanted to make sure we had a shortstop with his prime years ahead of him. ... If you have to cut in other areas, you cut in other areas. But we feel those two players will fit into our budget."

Castilla will receive $3 million in 2005 and $3.2 million in 2006. His signing signals that the Expos have given up on keeping their sole marquee free agent, third baseman Tony Batista, who hit 32 home runs with 110 RBIs last season.

"They made an offer to us that was not in our ballpark in length or in dollars," Bowden said.

Bowden got a similar response when pursuing Corey Koskie, Guzman's teammate with the Twins, so he worked the deal with Castilla, who declined a $2.1 million mutual option with Colorado.

Castilla's signing also met with approval from Robinson, who wanted some veteran clubhouse leadership for a young roster.

"That's very important for me," Robinson said. "You have to have a presence in the clubhouse. It just can't be management and the coaches."

The Twins declined a $5.25 million option on Guzman's contract for 2005, and he will receive $4.2 million in each of the next four seasons. He had been plagued by injuries since becoming an All-Star in 2001, but he rebounded this year with his most consistent season.

Baseball owners announced the Expos' move on Sept. 29 and are set to approve the relocation Thursday. The deal is subject to the District of Columbia government enacting funding by Dec. 31 for a new ballpark.

The Expos are expected to be renamed by the commissioner's office before the end of the year. The franchise is owned by the other 29 teams, although baseball recently began the process of selling the team by soliciting feelers from potential buyers.

Seems to be a bit extreme for Guzman and his sub . 700 ops, even if he does have a good glove.

Last edited by stevew : 11-16-2004 at 07:32 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:32 PM   #35
Desnudo
Coordinator

Pedro met with The Boss today.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:35 PM   #36
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I bet Guzman's agent was positively giddy when he saw the offer.

SI

Old 11-16-2004, 07:39 PM   #37
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If Washington plays with outfield walls that go about 300 -345 - 290 then Castilla is a fine pick up.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:46 PM   #38
Bomber
High School Varsity

I'd like to see the Yankees re-sign Lieber, sign Pavano, sign Wells, trade Vasquez for Johnson straight up, trade Brown and Lofton for Jones, and sign Polanco.

Starting Lineup:
R. Johnson
M. Mussina
J. Lieber
C. Pavano
D. Wells

Starting Lineup:

1B - J. Giambi
2B - P. Polanco
SS - D. Jeter
3B - A. Rodriguez
C - J. Posada
RF - G. Sheffield
CF - A. Jones
LF - H. Matsui
DH - B. Williams
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:58 PM   #39
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tigers are possibly signing Jeff Kent and Troy Percivial. I dunno if I like the Kent move. Maybe if he goes back to third, or Guillen goes to third and Infante to short.

I just hope they keep Omar in the middle of the infield.

Perci would be great in our pen.

Now lets get those two and Clement or Pavano.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:14 PM   #40
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber
I'd like to see the Yankees re-sign Lieber, sign Pavano, sign Wells, trade Vasquez for Johnson straight up, trade Brown and Lofton for Jones, and sign Polanco.

Starting Lineup:
R. Johnson
M. Mussina
J. Lieber
C. Pavano
D. Wells

Starting Lineup:

1B - J. Giambi
2B - P. Polanco
SS - D. Jeter
3B - A. Rodriguez
C - J. Posada
RF - G. Sheffield
CF - A. Jones
LF - H. Matsui
DH - B. Williams

I doubt the DBacks do a straight Jacquez for Johnson trade. I would guess something like Lieberathal and Tim Worrell from Philly for Kevin Brown and Lofton. Then Posada and change for Johnson. Vasquez for Soriano. Resign Leiber and Duque Sign Beltran and Pedro.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:02 PM   #41
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
What are debt rules?

Not sure what they are specifically, but I think it has to do with your total debt can't exceed 40% of your overall liquidity. Not overall franchise value, but liquid assets. Meaning if the Yanks have, say, $200m in liquid assets, they can't have more than $80m in outstanding liabilities.

Or something like that. The 60/40 rule is vaguely familiar, because it was discussed during McCourt's attempt to buy the Dodgers, but I'm not sure what the specifics of it are.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:03 AM   #42
Scholes
High School Varsity

Guzman can barely throw to first base... most of them hit the ground about 4 feet before.

He got injured a few years ago and was never the same...
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 05:55 AM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from http://www.radioandrecords.com/NewsR...Streettalk.asp

* Longtime New York Yankees announcer and Sportscenter anchor Charley Steiner joins the Los Angeles Dodgers broadcast team next season.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:00 AM   #44
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber

Starting Lineup:
R. Johnson
M. Mussina
J. Lieber
C. Pavano
D. Wells

Starting Lineup:

1B - J. Giambi
2B - P. Polanco
SS - D. Jeter
3B - A. Rodriguez
C - J. Posada
RF - G. Sheffield
CF - A. Jones
LF - H. Matsui
DH - B. Williams

I wonder what that payroll would add up to.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:33 AM   #45
Blackadar
Retired

Hmmm...guess I killed this thread.

I was looking at the FA list today. The best value among starting pitchers must be Russ Ortiz. He's not considered much better than a #2 or #3 rotation guy, yet he's won 67 games over the last 4 years and is only 30 with a career ERA of 4.00.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:55 AM   #46
MikeVic
Head Coach

I saw on some channel that the Jays are interested in Matt Clement, and Clement's agent said the feeling is mutual.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:13 AM   #47
Router Help

Gabe Kapler signs with a team in Japan: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1929514

Kind of an odd move. He said he went because of guaranteed playing time. I know Boston's outfield was tough to break into, but surely there is some team in the majors that could use him.
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:14 AM   #48
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar

I was looking at the FA list today. The best value among starting pitchers must be Russ Ortiz. He's not considered much better than a #2 or #3 rotation guy, yet he's won 67 games over the last 4 years and is only 30 with a career ERA of 4.00.

Ortiz is considered, rightly, a 3rd-tier guy. Last I heard, TB was the only team to express a strong interest in him. He'd probably do well to hold out until some of the better guys get signed, and perhaps a team that lost out on a Clement or Lowe will make a play for him. He will be a good value, but I'm not really sure what he's worth to a mediocre/bad team. He only wins because he plays for winners.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:06 PM   #49
Cuckoo
College Starter

Cubs resign Nomar to one year deal.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:25 PM   #50
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar

Most overrated- 5 years in SF, and now a FA. barely league average, and looking for $10 million+ per year. W-L is pointless in measuring - his ERA+ over the last 4 years is 122, 105, 109, and 104 - league average (just above) since leaving SF. Will get killed in a Hitters park - especially a HR one. One of my favorite pitchers, but oh so overrated.

Edit: K beat to me it. Though I've heard him associated with a lot of teams- apparently, they all buy into this "winner" junk. Call him a Jack Morris clone, with similar hype (couldnt win goddamn game 6 though).
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote