Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(MLS/Soccer news) Landon Donovan recalled from Loan, returns to Bundesliga

And San Jose Earthquakes go SPLAT

from yanks-abroad.com:

Landon Donovan has played his final MLS match, as the 22 year will return to Germany to rejoin Bundesliga outfit Bayer Leverkusen following a long-term loan, Yanks Abroad has learned.

The now ex-San Jose Earthquake is due in Leverkusen this weekend and will attend Saturday's match against SC Freiburg at the BayArena, Leverkusen press officer Uli Dost confirmed to YA.

"He will arrive in Leverkusen Friday," Dost says Thursday morning. "At that time we will present him to the players and the coaching staff."

"During the following week we will meet with the player and his advisors, and an official announcement will come at that time."

Donovan will not be able to play for the Bavarians until the January 1st transfer window opens, but will be available in the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League if the side progresses, or the UEFA Cup if they finish in third position of their group.

Yanks Abroad will be monitoring this breaking story throughout the day, please check back throughout the afternoon for more details.

SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:35 AM   #2
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Not surprising - Leverkusen needs him, and he'll be right in the battle up front with Franca and co. He was a little too good for MLS now anyway- lets hope he can do well on the larger stage.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:50 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's about freaking time. He doesn't do America any good playing in the MLS.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
Bomber
High School Varsity

It's about time, hopefully he doesn't crash and burn this time. Anyone know how DaMarcus has been doing for PSV?
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber
It's about time, hopefully he doesn't crash and burn this time. Anyone know how DaMarcus has been doing for PSV?

He scored a great goal in the Champions League against fellow American Robbie Russell (RB for Rosenborg) on Tuesday; he had one terrible game against Arsenal, but other than that has been quite good.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:33 AM   #6
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I'm glad he's been around to give MLS some exposure but, as has been mentioned, it's about time he goes back to Europe. I don't think he has much left to do in MLS. I think it's about the right timing. Hopefully, his development continues in Bundesliga (then onto EPL!).
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:46 AM   #7
MrBug708
Head Coach

I pray to God he doesn't end up in the EPL. That's where players go to crash and die. He needs to go to the Continent, not England.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:57 AM   #8
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Eh, I don't necessarily agree. There have been players who did not necessarily fit the physical nature of the league or those who did not fit into the system of their team terribly well. But others can and have done well.

He has the skills to eventually be able to compete in the EPL, if he can learn to cope with the physical style of play. I don't really think he necessarily fits any of the other top league any better. Even "bulk up", I don't really see him as a fit in Italy. He is at best a *maybe* fit in Spain where I don't know that he has the technical skill to achieve the highest level there.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:50 AM   #9
Desnudo
Coordinator

I think he's got the physical skills necessary to compete at the highest level. It's whether he has the mental skills to take it there. I think there's been some indications in the past that he might not be 100% on making the most out of his abilities (and potential).
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:55 AM   #10
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I think he's got the physical skills necessary to compete at the highest level. It's whether he has the mental skills to take it there. I think there's been some indications in the past that he might not be 100% on making the most out of his abilities (and potential).
That's one reason I'm happy to see him out of MLS. Nice as it is to have a "star" in his prime stay around and give MLS some exposure, I don't think he gets much challenges out of it. That won't be the case in Bundesliga.