Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2004, 08:59 PM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

MP3 Player Buying Question

I'm in the market for an MP3 player that can also do FM radio. I went to Best Buy, and saw a couple that I liked. Does anyone have one of these, or ever used them?

- CreativeLabs Nomad Muvo Slim 256 MB MP3 Player ($169.99)
Link

- Joybee 120 MP3 Player, 128MB ($119.99 after rebate)
Link

- RCA Lyra 128 MB ($129.95)
Link

Prices are what I saw at Futureshop or Best But here in Canada.

I like the internal batteries of the first two. I like the storage capacity (relative to price) of the Muvo. I like the expandable memory of the RCA Lyra, and also the fact that it can wrap around your arm. I'm not sure if the RCA has a FM Tuner though.

Another option would be buying a MP3 CD Player. I could hold more songs, but I wouldn't have the portability or flash device for storage.

Any input is appreciated.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:10 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I just bought an iriver iFP-790. It holds 256MB. I love it. It holds just enough (actually, more than enough) to keep me thrashing during my work outs. And, the FM radio, as little as i've used it, is pretty good. It also has an arm band. It takes 1 AA, and supposedly lasts for up to 45 hours (!).

It cost $179 at Circuit City, but I got it online, $5 S&H and no tax, for $155.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:29 PM   #3
Joe
Pro Starter

best buy sucks, i'll never buy anything from there ever again
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
sundeviljjoiii
n00b

I recommend the Dell Digital MP3 player. A 15 gb for $199, can't beat that. You can also buy the FM rec. I have really enjoyed mine and have loaded 2000 songs and still have 65% left.
sundeviljjoiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:31 PM   #5
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Is there some kind of MP3 player that could be easily used to work-out, etc. in, and also use in the car (even if it's via some kind of adapter hook-up)?
Old 09-21-2004, 09:43 PM   #6
Taco
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Is there some kind of MP3 player that could be easily used to work-out, etc. in, and also use in the car (even if it's via some kind of adapter hook-up)?

The Rio Cali is the one I bought and it is perfect for working out. I would expect that there is some sort of adapter available for the car too, but I haven't actually seen one.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Most of them have wireless adaptors. You just set them to an empty radio station and turn your tuner to that station and you are all good.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:53 PM   #8
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Most of them have wireless adaptors. You just set them to an empty radio station and turn your tuner to that station and you are all good.

Nice; better than I'd hoped for. Something just bugs me about seeing a bunch of wires hanging all over my front seat (and makes for a pain in the ass when someone else is riding).

Is there any chance you could link me to one? I'm having trouble finding what you describe (just because I don't really know the name of it).
Old 09-21-2004, 09:57 PM   #9
MikeVic
Head Coach

The Rio one is $229.99CDN... which is too high for me. And I can't find the iRiver on the website.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:00 PM   #10
Ksyrup

Quote:
Nice; better than I'd hoped for. Something just bugs me about seeing a bunch of wires hanging all over my front seat (and makes for a pain in the ass when someone else is riding).

Is there any chance you could link me to one? I'm having trouble finding what you describe (just because I don't really know the name of it).

Something like this, although I've seen them in all kinds of shapes/sizes:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/shoptron...ptofmraca.html
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-21-2004, 10:00 PM   #11
Ksyrup

Quote:

The iriver model I have is great for working out.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-21-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:05 PM   #12
Ksyrup

BTW, here's the site I bought mine from. It's $10 cheaper than when I bought it about a month ago.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...150-027&depa=0
Old 09-21-2004, 10:20 PM   #13
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Something like this, although I've seen them in all kinds of shapes/sizes:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/shoptron...ptofmraca.html

Thanks!

They had a two for $30 deal going so I snagged a couple - one for my car and the other I'll use as a gift or just for my parents car or something - EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

Much, much appreciated - now I'm in the same boat as the original player, looking for an MP3 player.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:50 PM   #14
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks!

They had a two for $30 deal going so I snagged a couple - one for my car and the other I'll use as a gift or just for my parents car or something - EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

Much, much appreciated - now I'm in the same boat as the original player, looking for an MP3 player.

. I like the Creative one more now, but if only there was some arm band with it. It owuld be hard to run with this thing. I don't even know what kind of strap it comes with (if any).
Old 09-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #15
Ksyrup

The strap that comes with mine is the weakest part, IMO. I need to see if I can find a generic stretchy armband that will work with mine.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:33 PM   #16
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
. I like the Creative one more now, but if only there was some arm band with it. It owuld be hard to run with this thing. I don't even know what kind of strap it comes with (if any).

MV:

I just snatched the Creative 256 NOMAD MuVo TX for $130 (inc. shipping). If you click on "Technical Details" it does indeed mention that it has an arm strap - crucial for me (runner also)!

I REALLY did NOT want to spend that much, but this one had all the features I wanted - Armband (crucial), Drag-and-Drop Flash Drive (almost crucial), FM radio (very nice ammenity), Shuffle mode (almost crucial), Small Size (crucial), and the 256MB thing is nice (I was planning on 128 but didn't see a comparable device at the 128 level).

I'll be sure to update how it turns out once I get it!!!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:36 PM   #17
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Also, MV, NOTE:

I think you might as well go with the version that I got - it's dimesions are very reasonable...

Quote:
Technical data

Size: 1.4 inches by 2.9 inches by 0.6 inches
Weight: 1.5 ounces
Power: 1 x AAA Alkaline battery
Battery life: Up to 15 hours of MP3
Playback formats: MP3, WMA (DRM)
Recording: IMA ADPCM, Mono
Signal to Noise Ratio: >90dB
Harmonic distortion output: <0.1%
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
Headphone out: 3.5 millimeter stereo mini jack
Interface: USB 2.0, compatible with USB 1.1
Box Contents: NOMAD MuVo TX FM Player, Neodymium Earphones, Armband (Armstrap and Case with clip), AAA Alkaline Battery, Quick Start Guide, Installation CD
Bundled Software : Creative Media Source -- New to Digital Music? Creative MediaSource converts your CDs to MP3s or WMAs at the touch of a button. Get started in minutes making your music collection into a portable digital music library.
Minimum System Requirements: Microsoft Windows 98SE/2000/Me/XP Intel Pentium II 233MHz or AMD K6-2 266MHz

I mean, great battery life, very light-weight, extremely reasonable size, ARMBAND AND CASE W/ CLIP, and Drag-and-Drop w/ Shuffle mode - what else could you want?

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 09-21-2004 at 11:37 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 08:49 PM   #18
MikeVic
Head Coach

I saw a Body Glove arm band today for $20... I bought the Creative MuVo, and it would fit in the arm band... but I haven't bought the arm band yet.

However, I almost made another purchase....

- Sony MZ-NF520DC Net MiniDisc Recorder
Link

Has anyone ever had a MiniDisc? I like the fact that I can have multiple discs to hold music... but the guy at the store said if you jog with it, it can skip. Can anyone tell me more?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:11 AM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

Would anyone here trust eBay, or bought and MP3 player off of eBay? Seems like you can get a nice price...
Old 09-23-2004, 07:40 PM   #20
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hopefully this question will get answered...

Are the jukebox types (with a hard drive, GBs of storage) not good to use when jogging/working out? I read on CNET that with the moving hard drive parts, they're not ideal for physical activity...
Old 09-23-2004, 07:48 PM   #21
Taco
High School JV

Quote:
Are the jukebox types (with a hard drive, GBs of storage) not good to use when jogging/working out? I read on CNET that with the moving hard drive parts, they're not ideal for physical activity...

That's what I read too which is why I went with the Rio Cali - no moving parts.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:25 PM   #22
Airhog
Captain Obvious

the RIO Nitrus is a good MP3 player 1.5GB and only 150$US

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:11 PM   #23
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

This is counting out the IPODs for what? cost?
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:10 PM   #24
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hopefully this question will get answered...

I'm pretty sure the MuVo comes with an armband (at least the one I bought - MuVo 256MB TX - does). I got mine for like $125 on Amazon from an independent dealer - a nice $20 savings over the full price.