Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Congress pay raise

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html

Ah yes - good to know that the politicians are taken care of.

Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:11 AM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

I've always felt that giving any legislative body control over its own pay is a monkeys-running-the-zoo situation. I mean, hell, I don't get to dictate /my/ pay raises, why should they get to dictate theirs?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #3
mgadfly
High School Varsity

I think it is fine. It is expensive to maintain two homes (1 in your district, another in D.C. area) travel back and forth and all the other related costs of being a representative. Not that I think they are getting a bad deal or anything.

I do like the automatic adjustment for cost of living as it continues to allow people without an independent means of wealth to act as legislators. If the salary couldn't pay the above costs, and didn't adjust with the cost of living, eventually the only people who could afford to take the job are those who have the money to afford it. (Which in my opinion, we already have a heavy bias toward rich people representing us since they are usually able to leverage more political power in getting elected in the first place).

Plus, 2%, chump change.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Very good response, mgadfly.

I think pay for elected officials is a vastly overrated "issue" in public policy.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:58 AM   #5
Huckleberry
College Starter

536 (including VP) x $4,000 = $2,144,000

Budget Deficit for 2004 = ~ $440,000,000,000

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:06 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgadfly
I think it is fine. It is expensive to maintain two homes (1 in your district, another in D.C. area) travel back and forth and all the other related costs of being a representative. Not that I think they are getting a bad deal or anything.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't Congress' travel tab already picked up by the government? I can understand the residence argument, but beyond that, if travel is paid for, what significant expenses do they have outside of the basics? Never mind the fact that the cost of living is not equal. A 'home in your district' in Alabama isn't going to be remotely as expensive as one in California.

Oh, hey, for that matter - does Congress pay taxes? Because if not, that's a fairly hefty chunk of change they're getting each year that their constituents don't.

They have costs, yes, and they deserve to be fairly compensated for those costs, but my quibble lies in the definition of 'fair compensation' that ought to be used.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Congress' travel tab already picked up by the government? I can understand the residence argument, but beyond that, if travel is paid for, what significant expenses do they have outside of the basics? Never mind the fact that the cost of living is not equal. A 'home in your district' in Alabama isn't going to be remotely as expensive as one in California.

Oh, hey, for that matter - does Congress pay taxes? Because if not, that's a fairly hefty chunk of change they're getting each year that their constituents don't.

They have costs, yes, and they deserve to be fairly compensated for those costs, but my quibble lies in the definition of 'fair compensation' that ought to be used.
Yes, elected officials (Congress and the President) do pay income tax on their salaries.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:55 PM   #8
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Oh, so there *IS* some bipartisan work going on in D.C. after all!
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote