Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What will be the next Solecismic Release?
Front Office Baseball 30 12.45%
Front Office Basketball 10 4.15%
Front Office Football 6 63 26.14%
Front Office Hockey 12 4.98%
Political Sim 42 17.43%
TCY 2 68 28.22%
Other (Please Comment) 16 6.64%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2004, 06:07 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

The new Solecismic poll, in light of new info

(I figured it would get started some time this morning anyway, so why not go ahead and do it. )

With Jim having updated TCY to version 1.3, what do you think the next Solecismic release is going to be?

NOTE: This is not what do you WANT the next release to be, but what do you THINK it will be.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:29 AM   #2
Bee
Pro Starter

I went with the Political Sim. I think that is something Jim was really wanting to do and this would be the best year to release it until the next presidential election. Jim has also dropped quite a few references to political sites that could be used for research in some of the political discussions on the board in the last couple months. With the update of TCY, I think that weakens the possibility of it being TCY2 (although that's still debatable).
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:42 AM   #3
Icy
Pro Starter

Let's think out loud so it will be more funny to see how wrong/right we were when we get the real answer

- TCY2 won't be the next release, else why to release the new patch?

- FOF6 ummmm it could be, and that is the cause of the TCY new patch to make it more compatible....but ater skydog's threads asking about our sugestions i think it won't be the new game, the thread was too near the new season for Jim to release FOF6 adding some of that suggested features.

- FOF Hockey i don't think so, Sigames + EHM is a really hard rival.

- FOF Baseball, could be as Jim is an excellet stats games programmer.

- FOF Basketball i don't think so, at least never saw any interest from him on Basketball.

- FOF president, this year of course was the best one for USA potential customers with the elections. I think this is going to be the new game so that is my vote.

I really hope that it will be FOF6 or at east any sport sim, i haven't any interest on politics, and even less on USA ones that i dont' follow and underestand.

Last edited by Icy : 09-14-2004 at 06:45 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:48 AM   #4
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I have no idea, personally. The TCY Update threw me for a loop.

I'm leaning towards a different game now, but I'm not sure what that would be.

The only issue you have with a political sim is the fact that it's popularity probably wanes in-between 4 year elections, and the window for this election is rapidly closing.

Baseball would be an interesting concept (but again, you face possible poor timing of the product). However, I think there is an opening with the SI purchase of OOTP, and I also think the market would embrace a Jim Gindin "statistically accurate and quick to play" type of baseball sim.

Other than that, I got nothin'.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:55 AM   #5
Bee
Pro Starter

Does anyone else think it's a potential clue that Solecismic voted "other"...
Old 09-14-2004, 06:57 AM   #6
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Does anyone else think it's a potential clue that Solecismic voted "other"...
You gotta love Jim's sense of humor about all the speculation!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:58 AM   #7
timmynausea
College Starter

I voted for political, just cause it seems most "hints" point that way. Last year around this time, though, when people were speculating in the time before FOF2004 came out, I suggested it could be a political sim and Jim said that he had lost interest in doing one because both sides were so entrenched and bitter toward each other.
So I'm almost 50/50 on baseball and politics based on that comment.
I could go for a good baseball sim with a solid engine and much care put into realistic/widely varying player development. I really think Jim would blow everyone else out of the water with either baseball or politics. I've yet to play a satisfying baseball or political sim, and I really want to.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:01 AM   #8
Ben E Lou

FTR, I've now voted "other" as well, for two reasons:

1. I was tired of having to give an extra click to see the resuts.
2. I'm in the "unsure" category, pretty evenly split between a couple of options.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:03 AM   #9
Kevin
High School JV

Front Office Olympic Steroid Detection
(will also be able to detect trout DNA manipulation)
Old 09-14-2004, 07:08 AM   #10
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I think we can safely remove TCY 2 out of the running due to the posts above. I feel that a political sim is out of the question, due to the small population that would want it (remember, this is also a business for Jim). I would say that either FOF6 (unlikely) or hockey will be it.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:10 AM   #11
Samdari
Roster Filler

"Solecismic Software is a privately held entertainment software company founded in 1998 and dedicated to producing career-play football simulations."

Did noone notice this?

I think that the TCY update clearly points to TCY2. He has got some of the work done due to his work in TCY2, and it could also renew interest in the game.

When do signups for the 108 man multiplayer league begin?

By the way, while undergoing the draft for IHOF, I come to the realization that TCY sets up better than FOF for multiplayer. The awkward part of FOF multiplayer is the draft - which does not have a great way to do quickly in game, except for a preference export which noone seems to like. But, with TCY, there is no offseason stoppage for player acquisition - that part of the game neatly fits into the in season weekly exports.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:15 AM   #12
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Samdari convinnced me.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:16 AM   #13
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
"Solecismic Software is a privately held entertainment software company founded in 1998 and dedicated to producing career-play football simulations."

By the way, while undergoing the draft for IHOF, I come to the realization that TCY sets up better than FOF for multiplayer. The awkward part of FOF multiplayer is the draft - which does not have a great way to do quickly in game, except for a preference export which noone seems to like. But, with TCY, there is no offseason stoppage for player acquisition - that part of the game neatly fits into the in season weekly exports.

Oh man, can you imagine the recruiting wars in a multiplayer league?! Sign me up! I'll pre-take Maryland, please
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:18 AM   #14
timmynausea
College Starter

I've got dibbs on WVU should this be the case.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:20 AM   #15
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I'm torn about the FOF6 posibility.
I think the existence of the IHOF can be a major influence on the arrival of FOF6/FOF2005, whatever the name will be. Or that Ann Arbor victory must have totally destroyed the desire for Jim to keep playing FOF 2K4 and created a new challenge.

TCY2 seems logical, but, in fact, I voted on Political Sim.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:20 AM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I picked political sim, because that's what I'm thinking, but TCY2 or FOF6 would be what I would like to see.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:42 AM   #17
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I noticed it. And was gonna comment on it if you hadn't beat me to the punch! That's why I went the safe route and voted FOF6. Jim probably voted "other" because of his hoping one day that "FOF Curling" would come out... ALthough the "football" line may have been just to keep us off the scent...

Last edited by BigJohn&TheLions : 09-14-2004 at 07:42 AM.
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:48 AM   #18
Ben E Lou

Quote:

Did noone notice this?
Well, did no one notice this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic Web Site
And I've been fortunate enough to be able to spend all of my time in the home office, working on Front Office Football. One of my long-term goals is to maintain the football games, keeping them on the cutting edge for this type of career simulation. My desire to break into new sports continues to grow, however, and my notebooks are littered with partial designs for other games. In this field new challenges always beckon, and this has been a tremendously rewarding experience.
I think the information at the site is intentionally non-committal. I don't think you can read anything into it either way.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:02 AM   #19
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

I voted 'other' as 'in not a clue' !!!

Whatever it is though, I'll probably buy it...
Old 09-14-2004, 08:07 AM   #20
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I think the information at the site is intentionally non-committal. I don't think you can read anything into it either way.

On the other hand, you can read anything into anything. I think you know something...
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:10 AM   #21
Bee
Pro Starter

Assuming for a second that Jim just isn't kidding with his vote...

If it's something other than the games listed in the poll, does anyone have any good ideas of what it might be?

From what I understand, Jim has already shot down NASCAR and possibly other types of racing sims (horse racing, etc). I can't imagine him going to a High School Football Sim since it's so limiting without recruiting, etc. I can't imagine Jim making a soccer game. Not really sure what else it could be...
Old 09-14-2004, 08:11 AM   #22
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Front Office Cooking.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:13 AM   #23
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic Web Site

And I've been fortunate enough to be able to spend all of my time in the home office, working on Front Office Football. One of my long-term goals is to maintain the football games, keeping them on the cutting edge for this type of career simulation. My desire to break into new sports continues to grow, however, and my notebooks are littered with partial designs for other games. In this field new challenges always beckon, and this has been a tremendously rewarding experience..

I did not forget about that Ben, but this was written shortly after FOF4 was published. I believe we know that Jim was working on a game in another sport, and for unknown reasons (business related, iirc) abandoned it and put out FOF2004. And we all know that Jim does not change information on that website very often.

Jim posted about TCY 1.3 with the tagline about the company being dedicated to creating quality football simulations was posted this week. Now, I realize that this could simply be boilerplate stuff that was created even earlier, but Jim tends to be careful about what he posts on this board.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:17 AM   #24
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I did not forget about that Ben, but this was written shortly after FOF4 was published. I believe we know that Jim was working on a game in another sport, and for unknown reasons (business related, iirc) abandoned it and put out FOF2004. And we all know that Jim does not change information on that website very often.

Jim posted about TCY 1.3 with the tagline about the company being dedicated to creating quality football simulations was posted this week. Now, I realize that this could simply be boilerplate stuff that was created even earlier, but Jim tends to be careful about what he posts on this board.
Granted, but that is very similar language to what has been the first sentence on his web site as long as the "desire to break into other sports" stuff. ("Solecismic Software is an entertainment software company dedicated to producing cutting-edge career football simulations.")

Point being, maybe he was dropping a hint there, but maybe not.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:24 AM   #25
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I voted baseball, but as I think about this I am leaning towards FOF6.

My reason, I expected an update like this from Jim, but not for TCY, i thought one for FOF2004 was coming. There are so many little things in MP that guys would like fixed or added, not too mention solo play.....i dunno, confuses me. Bastard is laughing right now isn't he?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:30 AM   #26
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I have to say I'm absolutely clueless. I'd be a bit surprised if me made it 3 straight FOF (pro) releases, so I thought TCY was a distinct possibility. Does the patch reduce the odds of TCY2? I would say yes.

I still think Baseball or a Political Sim are strong possibilites, but really have no idea.

I'd be quite interested to see what those who voted 'other' have in mind.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:30 AM   #27
condors
College Starter

i voted other i honestly could care less what it is as i have faith it will be well done. I will buy first ask questions later as i have gotten more than my money's worth from tcy and FOFI-FOFV
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:33 AM   #28
Huckleberry
College Starter

TCY2. The patch secretly makes it super-duper-easy to import TCY saved games into TCY2.

A man can dream.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:34 AM   #29
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm with Samdari on this. I think the update to 1.3 could mean that he is working off of the same code for TCY2, was doing this piece for TCY2, and went ahead and patched to 1.3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:38 AM   #30
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
IDoes the patch reduce the odds of TCY2? I would say yes.

Could you please expound on the logic of this conclusion? Several people have mentioned it, and it does not make much sense to me. To me, the patch was a clear indication that Jim was knee deep in working with TCY, and releasing this patch to whet people's appetite for the game is a brilliant strategy for a month away release.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:39 AM   #31
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
I'm with Samdari on this. I think the update to 1.3 could mean that he is working off of the same code for TCY2, was doing this piece for TCY2, and went ahead and patched to 1.3.

ok, if this is true, this is cruel. If Jim keeps kicking me like a wimpering puppy...well.......damn, guy has my money most likely, forget it.

BUT! I was just thinking of restarting the College part of my league, to reflect the conference changes and because hopefully the ratings are carrying over much better. I don't want to do this, and then do it again if a TCY 2 comes out....
Old 09-14-2004, 08:44 AM   #32
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Since he is commited to cutting edge football games how about soccer?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:44 AM   #33
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I still think FOF6. Jim can't possibly be playing in a multiplayer league, win a championship, and not see all the little nits and issues that plague multiplayer and NOT want to fix them...

EDIT: Maybe TCY 1.3 is to prepare TCY for FOF6 support?

Last edited by gstelmack : 09-14-2004 at 08:45 AM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:47 AM   #34
Bee
Pro Starter

Why spend the time patching a game that you are going to release a new version of in a month or so? That seems like a bad use of time to me. Even if most of the code were being used in TCY2, with the way Jim changes his games it would have still taken a lot of work to make it function with TCY. And the benefit would be for people to play a slightly improved version of TCY for a month?

I don't know, it could be... but just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you want to get people excited about TCY2 just announce it. Most would go play TCY again anyway, with or without the patch.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:48 AM   #35
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack

EDIT: Maybe TCY 1.3 is to prepare TCY for FOF6 support?
Or he could just release a FOF2004 patch, and then release a new game.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 09-14-2004 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:49 AM   #36
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Front Office Raising a Child

We all know he's been doing the research for some time now.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:54 AM   #37
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Granted, but that is very similar language to what has been the first sentence on his web site as long as the "desire to break into other sports" stuff. ("Solecismic Software is an entertainment software company dedicated to producing cutting-edge career football simulations.")

Point being, maybe he was dropping a hint there, but maybe not.

I actually left out the quote that has led me to thinking TCY2 since the release of FOF2004

[paraphrasing]
There is no question TCY saved my company
[/paraphrasing]
Old 09-14-2004, 08:55 AM   #38
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Why spend the time patching a game that you are going to release a new version of in a month or so? That seems like a bad use of time to me.

To spark interest in the game.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:58 AM   #39
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

He could have hoped to have TCY2 ready for the start of the college football season, got delayed (he does have a kid, after all), and decided that it would be nice to provide the 1.3 update to TCY because 1.) he has already written the code (for TCY2), and 2.) he knows that some people fire up TCY again when the season starts and wanted to throw them a bone.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:01 AM   #40
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

But how does that do so more than just announcing TCY2? Anyone who would get excited about a patch for TCY will be buying TCY2 regardless.

Edit: I'd love for it to be TCY2, but just don't see a correlation between releasing the patch for TCY and the new game being TCY2.

Last edited by Bee : 09-14-2004 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:05 AM   #41
Radii
Head Coach

I voted political sim as well, I am torn between that and TCY2. I would be absolutely thrilled with either and would almost certainly purchase either.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:10 AM   #42
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
But how does that do so more than just announcing TCY2? Anyone who would get excited about a patch for TCY will be buying TCY2 regardless.

I don't agree with that. People who have not been playing for a year or more might download the update for free, remember how much they liked it, and then be more likely to buy a new version a few weeks (months?) later.

The people who are still playing it are obviously going to buy it regardless. But, that is probably not the majority of people who bought it.

As for it being a waste of time, does releasing this patch take more time if you are already working on these changes for an upcoming release, or if you are working on something completely different?

Last edited by Samdari : 09-14-2004 at 09:10 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:11 AM   #43
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

But I think releasing the patch would probably cost him some TCY2 sales. People who might have taken the plunge given all the new features imght be more likely to say 'well, there isn't that much more stuff I'm interested in' if they've got an up-to-date TCY they can stick to.

I guess the patch really tells us nothing.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:12 AM   #44
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Jim spelled backwards is Mij. That must mean something...
Old 09-14-2004, 09:15 AM   #45
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
But I think releasing the patch would probably cost him some TCY2 sales. People who might have taken the plunge given all the new features imght be more likely to say 'well, there isn't that much more stuff I'm interested in' if they've got an up-to-date TCY they can stick to.

I guess the patch really tells us nothing.

Stop interrupting our twisting of every statement/act by Jim Gindin into a clear sign that the game we want is on the way, and get back to doing it yourself.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:15 AM   #46
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The intent of the TCY patch can go either way. If he is going to release TCY2, I would think a joint announcement/patch for TCY1 while the new game is finished would be the way to go. It may be that TCY2 is still a few months away, though, so he didn't want to announce it with so much time remaining before the release, but wanted TCY1 to remain playable and up on current alignments. It may be that he just took a couple of pieces of TCY2 and used them to patch TCY1, and it took him all of 30 minutes to do.

Who the hell knows. If the game is going to come out by December, I'd just like to know what it is.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-14-2004 at 09:16 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:16 AM   #47
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
As for it being a waste of time, does releasing this patch take more time if you are already working on these changes for an upcoming release, or if you are working on something completely different?

I think the difference is if TCY2 is coming out, it's an update that most will use for a month. If something else is coming out, it's an update that most will use for at least a year. One is IMO a bad use of time, the other is good customer support.

Edit: That's assuming that KYJelly isn't right and the patch took more than 30 minutes to throw together.

Last edited by Bee : 09-14-2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:25 AM   #48
Hurst2112
College Starter

I am taking the route of following Jim's sense of humor...which is similar to most of ours here:

Jim's latest update is just a dummy update. The only thing he changed from the last one is the version number. With this sly move, he gets people guessing and watches the fiasco from afar.

Which brings me to the fact that I don't have a clue what his move will actually be, taking the above into consideration.

I picked FOF6 even though SD told us not too pick on desires.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:27 AM   #49
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I just want to know if it's TCY2, because it's important to the Imperial League and how we proceed with our draft.....

........come on Jim....a little PM this way big guy, I'll keep it quiet!
Old 09-14-2004, 09:27 AM   #50
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
That's assuming that KYJelly isn't right and the patch took more than 30 minutes to throw together.

That was my point - if he's got these updates written for a new game, this patch would take very little time. If he is working on the political sim, it would probably take days/weeks.