Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2004, 01:49 AM   #1
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

CM/FM question

I hate to sound too much like a newbie to this series but the simple fact is that I am. I don't really understand soccer that much at all(the league systems, etc.), but am into the world cup and Olympic soccer. In the upcoming FM I see that they have these kinds of team but can you actually run them. Like say you coach the England team and when the time comes you get to select players from England to fill your rosters? Or does it work that you HAVE to coach a team in one of the leagues and you just get results from the international competition and news on how your players do? And if you do have to coach a league team is there anyway that you can eventually coach your country's international squad? Hope this isn't too stupid of a question.

Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:00 AM   #2
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

As I understand it, with FM2005, at the start of a game you can choose to be a team manager AND a international manager (any nation and any team, they don't have to be from the same country) or you can just be the manager of an international squad or you can just be the manager of a regular squad. And yes, if you do good as a manager of a team, you can apply for a job as an international manager and eventually become one.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:01 AM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm fairly new too, and this isn't a stupid question. I'm almost positive you can be just an international manager, but personally I would find that boring. I like the idea of working my way up the divisions and becoming a top league manager and then getting offered an international coaching job (you keep your club managing job when you become an international coach and do both.) However, if you want to coach just a national team you can do it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:06 AM   #4
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

alright guys sounds good thanks for the quick answers.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:14 AM   #5
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I know in CM 01/02 you start as a manager of a single team (international or club), but can add a position. I always coached at the club level and international (until I would get sacked). While coaching in England as an Englishman, I coached Yugoslavia, then England (sacked) and then Argentina. I had won a few premierships and the Champions League after starting out as Hull in the 3rd division, and thus had quite the reputation as a manager, which made it possible to get the jobs. Managing just an international team can be kind of boring because there are not many games to play.

I am not sure if this has changed in more recent versions, but I doubt it.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 08-31-2004 at 02:14 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:24 AM   #6
Icy
Pro Starter

As the others said, you usually start managing a club, and if you prove that you're good enought, you will be offered or can even apply to manage an international team. There is also an old bug (well not really a bug as SIgames knows about it but left it there since some versions ago) using that you can start managing an international team since the begining without needing to prove first that you're good at it. To manage only an international team could be boring as you don't get a lot of matches per year, unless Word cup, Euro Cup or Olimpics games. Marc V posted some time ago that for FM they are improving a lot the international manager game. I have been playing CM since 1986 and loving it every year (well unless CM4 that had some bugs, luckily CM03/04 was much improved).

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:06 AM   #7
Francis_Cole
SI Games

Hi
hopefully I can answer you questions
In the upcoming FM I see that they have these kinds of team but can you actually run them.

Yes you can manage any country in fm as long as there are enough players in the database (currently the amount required for the nation to be "managable" is 50, though this may increase/decrease slightly before we go gold)

Like say you coach the England team and when the time comes you get to select players from England to fill your rosters? Or does it work that you HAVE to coach a team in one of the leagues and you just get results from the international competition and news on how your players do?

When starting a new game you have to choose one (or more) leagues that the football world will be based around. So for example if you choose the english leagues most of the results processed will be from the english leagues etc. However presuming that the game has loaded the required amount of players from any nation then you can manage a completly different country, (e.g. Brazil).
Usually its practice, however, that if you know you are going to be brazilian manager then you start with the brazilian leagues (simply because the game would load/proccess focus etc on brazilian football), but its not a requirment.

And if you do have to coach a league team is there anyway that you can eventually coach your country's international squad?

If you deicde to start out as a club manager (you can start as a national manager) then when a national job becomes available then you can apply for it, and if you are good enough you will get offered it.

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Fran

Sports Interactive

Last edited by Francis_Cole : 08-31-2004 at 03:09 AM.
Francis_Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:20 PM   #8
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

Alright I'm still a little confused by the last post. I assume from what I've heard in this thread that the game will actually have the world cup/olympics for international play(although they may be called different.)

But if you start as a club manager and are offered an international job will you have to leave your club or can you assume both roles?

Also say I decide to start in the "MLS." Does that mean the game will base itself around US soccer instead of Europe being the center of the soccer universe? And if I decide to switch countries and try my luck in Europe does the game change its focus there or does the "focus" stay where I started?
Old 08-31-2004, 04:28 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll
Alright I'm still a little confused by the last post. I assume from what I've heard in this thread that the game will actually have the world cup/olympics for international play(although they may be called different.)

But if you start as a club manager and are offered an international job will you have to leave your club or can you assume both roles?

Also say I decide to start in the "MLS." Does that mean the game will base itself around US soccer instead of Europe being the center of the soccer universe? And if I decide to switch countries and try my luck in Europe does the game change its focus there or does the "focus" stay where I started?

Both CM now and FM in the future (and as it is in real life, I believe) will allow you to both manage a club and coach a national team at the same team. Starting out with one or the other won't stop you from later getting a job in the other field down the road if you want.

You can start with as many leagues as you like (and that your machine can effectively run), and the "basis" (startup date at least) will be set with whatever league you choose to be in. The focus for news and stuff will always be the league and country you're currently in, but the level of detail the game runs a league in doesn't depend on your presence in it, but on whether you selected it as one of leagues for the game to run.

The game will change its focus, news-wise, with wherever you switch to.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 06:11 PM   #10
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

PS. The international management in FM is much much more rounded out with media etc. than in previous CM games ... this makes it a much better experience for those people who are solely an International manager ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote