Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2004, 12:36 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(Page 2) "Don't like USA Basketball? You MUST be racist!"

Jason Whitlock tries to throw the race card at the fact that 73% of America wants USA Basketball to lose (at least a little)

SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:38 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

blah, blah, blah.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

I make it a rule to root against anyone with tattos on their necks.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
I make it a rule to root against anyone with tattos on their necks.

What, whitey is too smart to put a tatoo on his neck
Old 08-26-2004, 12:46 PM   #5
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

So why were we (at least I was) dissappointed when team USA lost in 1988 with a black coach and mostly black players if we are all rooting against this team because we are racists? More ill-thought, knee jerk, finger pointing crap from someone trying to get a rise out of a certain segment of his audience. In other words, another typical Jason Whitlock story.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:48 PM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So will ESPN fire him the same way they fired Rush Limbaugh? This is the exact same garbage.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:49 PM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

dola, I don't get the logic behind the story in the first place. He hints at a much larger issue but goes on to stuff like this:

Quote:
is just more denial. The truth -- and what needs to be discussed -- is that African-American basketball players no longer have a lock on the game. The rest of the world has caught up, at warp speed. The game has been exported and redefined in superior fashion.

the above is on point.

Is he seriously trying to say the majority of people are rooting against the team because they are black and not because of the relative skill level?

Last edited by rkmsuf : 08-26-2004 at 12:50 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:50 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was reading this article and was thinking at first that the article was about the world hating the team cause they were american.

I didnt realize that disliking a team cause they were poorly constructed with selfish players had anything to do with skin color.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:00 PM   #9
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

What a bunch of crap - if anyone's a racist its the author of the article. If all these people rooting against Team USA are racist then they're obviously very stupid racists to want one of the sport's legendary coaches, the very white Larry Brown, to have a tarnishment on his record.

He also shows strong signs of knowing absolutely nothing about the game of basketball. His quote "The game has been exported and redefined in superior fashion" proves it. The game hasn't been redefined - all the foreign countries are doing is playing ball the way we did in the 70's and 80's. Our country is the one who has changed how it plays and we've changed it for the worst.

Comparing basketball to what has happened in hockey is idiotic. The foreign countries are not inventing new styles of play like the Soviets did in hockey unless you call passing, setting screens and shooting the ball into the basket from further than 5 feet out new ideas (which to some of these NBA players they would qualify as new ideas)

I'm also tired of hearing this garbage about we didn't have enough time to put together a team. I'm sorry - I didn't realize the foreign NBA players took the 2nd half of the season off to go home and practice with their countries.

"Someone call Johnnie Cochran and have him send over "The Card" -- the race one." - No need to Mr. Whitlock - you've done a fine job playing it yourself.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:01 PM   #10
Subby
lolzcat

I root against USA Basketball the organization more than the team itself. SportsGuy had a nice column a few weeks back about how the team *should* have been constructed. More shooters, pure point guards, etc... (Michael Redd, anyone?).

If David Stern and USA Basketball would stop trying to use the Olympics as an NBA marketing vehicle and put together a team that can compete on the International level, then I am guessing there would be less vitriol from the American viewing public.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:04 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Two thoughts:

1. I guess he's appointed himself as Ralph Wiley's successor.

2. It's hard to believe, but Daryl Dawkins made a much more convincing argument than this guy.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:22 PM   #12
SlapBone
High School JV

I guess "jumpshots" are a tool of "The Man".
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:26 PM   #13
druez
Banned

Going to have to disagree with most of you.

First of all I point out again. This is not our best team. We are missing our very best players. Take out the top 3 players on all these other national teams and let them play our current group. BIG difference.

Second point, the zone defense that is allowed in the olympics plays into the europian teams hands. They can simply sit a guy down in the key with no worries of illegal defense.

Our team wasn't built correctly, but its pretty hard to build a team when half the players don't want to play.

I root for our guys every game, they have gone into an area where the threat of terror is very real and they are very much a symbol of what america is today for better or worse.

You guys can turn your back on America and if you do, I call you a fucking traitor.
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:27 PM   #14
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by druez
Going to have to disagree with most of you.

First of all I point out again. This is not our best team. We are missing our very best players. Take out the top 3 players on all these other national teams and let them play our current group. BIG difference.

Second point, the zone defense that is allowed in the olympics plays into the europian teams hands. They can simply sit a guy down in the key with no worries of illegal defense.

Our team wasn't built correctly, but its pretty hard to build a team when half the players don't want to play.

I root for our guys every game, they have gone into an area where the threat of terror is very real and they are very much a symbol of what america is today for better or worse.

You guys can turn your back on America and if you do, I call you a fucking traitor.

take it easy. the thrust of the article speculated that people turn their back because of race.

patriotism is a separate issue.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:29 PM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

druez=A most Excellent troll again..

we can turn our backs on a USA Basketball team, without turning our back on America..

either that, or 73% of America are fucking traitors for wanting to see USA Basketball lose...
Old 08-26-2004, 01:30 PM   #16
lurker
High School JV

I love how he played the 9/11 card in his article. If you're worried your point won't seem valid, trot that one out.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:30 PM   #17
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

You know, to be perfectly honest I have wondered if some of the people who talk about how much they hate the NBA, how much they love college ball, how great things used to be, how the "traditional" style is better, etc., were just finding a nice way to say they like basketball more when it's played by white guys.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 08-26-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:32 PM   #18
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
You're weird.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:33 PM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
You know, to be perfectly honest I have wondered if some of the people who talk about how much they hate the NBA, how much they love college ball, how great things used to be, how the "traditional" style is better, etc., were just finding a nice way to say they like basketball more when it's played by white guys.

The nba has always been predominately black. In fact, there are probably more white players today than ever before. I don't think your point is totally out of the equation but I have to doubt it's a major factor.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:34 PM   #20
druez
Banned

Whatever, you can't deny the fact that prominent players backed out of the olympics because of security reasons. I call BS on them too. You're an American go represent our country and be proud of it.

Tim Duncan and Allan Iverson both wanted to be on this team. Iverson practically begged to be on the team. They are patriots and Americans.

Our American Hockey players trashed a hotel and acted like assholes and you didn't see the outcry from White America did you?

Last edited by druez : 08-26-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:34 PM   #21
Ksyrup

Quote:

Have you seen the Daryl Dawkins article/thread?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-26-2004, 01:36 PM   #22
Franklinnoble
Banned

I didn't even notice until now that Team USA was all black. If anyone's gonna play the race card, it should be the white guys who got left out.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:36 PM   #23
druez
Banned

Quote:

Yep, most of these guys are in their 50's to 60's now and still talk about how great Bob Couzy was....
Old 08-26-2004, 01:36 PM   #24
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You may have not.. I'm pretty sure Direct TV may not have had a system that would work under a troll bridge at the time, but just about everyone condemmed the act, and called the people who did it classless and jerks..
Old 08-26-2004, 01:37 PM   #25
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:

In my case, no.

I'll even indict myself further by saying I grew up a Celtic fan. They played as a team. The Pistons, who certainly were not close to being white, played as a team. And certainly, the Lakers with 5 HOF's as starters in the 80's were well diversified.

When basketball is played like the team sport it's supposed to be, it's a beautiful game. I found myself rooting for Detroit in the finals this year, (purges nasty thoughts).

Yeah, Leafs, probably some feel that way, but I don't.

(Not taking a shot at you, just stating my opinion as someone who worshipped Jim Rice growing up.)

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:37 PM   #26
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
The nba has always been predominately black. In fact, there are probably more white players today than ever before. I don't think your point is totally out of the equation but I have to doubt it's a major factor.

Any statistics on this? Your probably doesn't cut it as a fact.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:38 PM   #27
Ksyrup

Quote:
Whatever, you can't deny the fact that pominent players backed out of the olympics because of security reasons. I call BS on them too. You're an American go represent our country and be proud of it.

Who cares about the Olympics? I certainly don't. I find "representing your country" in something as trivial as sports to be ridiculous. Maybe if I lived in a country that depended solely/largely on internatonal competition as a means of enjoying sports, I would feel differently. As it is, we've got terrific pro/college sports in this country, so I don't need the Olympics as either a surrogate for sports enjoyment, nor do I need it for a patriotic ego boost.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:39 PM   #28
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
You may have not.. I'm pretty sure Direct TV may not have had a system that would work under a troll bridge at the time, but just about everyone condemmed the act, and called the people who did it classless and jerks..

I thought it was total BS myself, but I still routed for my team to win.

What has our USA basketball team done that makes them so hated by the US?

Umm make more money then most of us? Express their desire to play for our country? Try hard? Be black? Have Tats?

Come on....
Old 08-26-2004, 01:39 PM   #29
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I think the reason people root against Team USA is simply because there's the expectation to "take on the world" rather than simply compete in the Olympics. After the game against Spain was over, and they were interviewing an assistant coach about the timeout incident, they asked him what he was trying to tell the Spanish coach. He said he tried to explain the timeout, and told him that it was your rule. I know this is just some assistant coach saying it, and not any of the players, but it's definitely "us vs. them" -- an attitude that other Olympians don't seem to have.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:40 PM   #30
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Any statistics on this? Your probably doesn't cut it as a fact.

Isn't that what probably is for? Bye, bye.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:41 PM   #31
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Who cares about the Olympics? I certainly don't. I find "representing your country" in something as trivial as sports to be ridiculous. Maybe if I lived in a country that depended solely/largely on internatonal competition as a means of enjoying sports, I would feel differently. As it is, we've got terrific pro/college sports in this country, so I don't need the Olympics as either a surrogate for sports enjoyment, nor do I need it for a patriotic ego boost.

Well aparently the olympians do and the millions that watch them... Its a tradition that dates back a long time ago well before our professional sports leagues.

The fact that it was a place for people to gather and not fight, but compete on an even playing field.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:41 PM   #32
stevew
Hall Of Famer

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...darryl+dawkins
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:43 PM   #33
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
I think the reason people root against Team USA is simply because there's the expectation to "take on the world" rather than simply compete in the Olympics. After the game against Spain was over, and they were interviewing an assistant coach about the timeout incident, they asked him what he was trying to tell the Spanish coach. He said he tried to explain the timeout, and told him that it was your rule. I know this is just some assistant coach saying it, and not any of the players, but it's definitely "us vs. them" -- an attitude that other Olympians don't seem to have.

Are you kidding me? So South Korea didn't have an attitude about the judges? You are saying that most countries over there don't want to beat the US? The US is the yankee's or cowboys. You either love em or you don't. I just figured you would want your own country to win at something.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:43 PM   #34
vtbub
College Starter

There are few things in packaged television that make me cry.

If you have seen the part of SportsCentury's show on Bill Russell, the part when Cousy loses it when talking about not doing enough to defend the hatred and venom thrown at Russell, is one of those times.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:44 PM   #35
clintl
College Starter

I know the reason I root against Team USA in basketball is because of the arrogance and disgraceful behavior of the original Dream Team in Barcelona. It's probably not fair to this group, but I've been wanting to see Team USA get its comeuppance ever since. That team just disgusted me, the way they acted as if they were entitled to be worshipped by the rest of the world, and were too good to mingle with the rest of the Olympic athletes. Charles Barkley, in particular, I remember as a total jackass during those games.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:47 PM   #36
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
What has our USA basketball team done that makes them so hated by the US?

Embarrasing us in front of the world by taking the team with by leaps and bounds the most talent in the games and getting beat by inferior opponents with not one single player good enough to sniff our professional league in the sport that our country invented might have something to do with it.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:47 PM   #37
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl
I know the reason I root against Team USA in basketball is because of the arrogance and disgraceful behavior of the original Dream Team in Barcelona. It's probably not fair to this group, but I've been wanting to see Team USA get its comeuppance ever since. That team just disgusted me, the way they acted as if they were entitled to be worshipped by the rest of the world, and were too good to mingle with the rest of the Olympic athletes. Charles Barkley, in particular, I remember as a total jackass during those games.

Agreed, but I still didn't want our team to loose. I hated the way they acted but they pretty much act the same way here in the US and we pay them so it must not bother us to much...
Old 08-26-2004, 01:48 PM   #38
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
Embarrasing us in front of the world by taking the team with by leaps and bounds the most talent in the games and getting beat by inferior opponents with not one single player good enough to sniff our professional league in the sport that our country invented might have something to do with it.

Thought it was invented by a Canadian...
Old 08-26-2004, 01:48 PM   #39
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski

Didn't our US kids beat the Russians in 1980 in hockey? I highly doubt anyone in Russia was actively routing against them in that olympics.

Last edited by druez : 08-26-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:49 PM   #40
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Didn't our US kids beat the Russians in 1980 in hockey? I highly doubt anyone in Russia was actively routing against them in that olympics.

doubt is not fact. let's keep it real.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:50 PM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The nba has always been predominately black. In fact, there are probably more white players today than ever before.

Umm ... the NBA existed 5 years before Chuck Cooper & Earl Lloyd were among the four who broke the color line in 1950-51.

http://www.hoopshype.com/articles/cleared_lane.htm

Another article (that I now can't find the link for) referenced 1955 as the first year that an NBA team won a title with a black player on the roster.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:50 PM   #42
sooner333
College Starter

I want the U.S. to win, but won't cry if they lose. The only reason I won't be that upset is that maybe, just maybe, basketball style in this country will change a little bit. Maybe not to the three-point hoisting European way, but at least with fundamentals a little bit more in mind. Maybe we could get back to where the game was in the 80's, before I started watching, where teams ran up and down the court, had shooters, but could also slash to the basket. That would be great.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:50 PM   #43
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I don't like them because they don't play as a team.

I don't like them because their conduct after every other foul called on them is disgraceful.

I don't like them because they don't scrap for every single loose ball. You don't have to be an All-Star to do that.

I don't like them because I am sick of hearing excuses from their head coach.

Other than that, they are cool with me. Go USA!
Old 08-26-2004, 01:51 PM   #44
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

This is the same as everyone cheering against the Lakers.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:52 PM   #45
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Umm ... the NBA existed 5 years before Chuck Cooper & Earl Lloyd were among the four who broke the color line in 1950-51.

http://www.hoopshype.com/articles/cleared_lane.htm

Another article (that I now can't find the link for) referenced 1955 as the first year that an NBA team won a title with a black player on the roster.

Come on. I'm talking about during the NBA boom times because the arguement was that interest was fading and traslating to the college game.

I guess I could have included that in the original comment instead of "always"

Last edited by rkmsuf : 08-26-2004 at 01:53 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:54 PM   #46
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Put the women's team out there. They may lose by 40 every game, but I would like them.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:54 PM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess I could have included that in the original comment instead of "always"

Well, it would probably have saved me from looking for a link with the details

{FTR, I really didn't get your post in context until you explained it}
Old 08-26-2004, 01:56 PM   #48
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Well, it would probably have saved me from looking for a link with the details

{FTR, I really didn't get your post in context until you explained it}

My powers of self comprehension are amazing.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:56 PM   #49
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hmm...consider if these boys were getting waxed by international players and they looked nothing like this team.
Instead of tattoed superstars, they were a team of white ballers - who were considered the best in the world - with a coach like Larry Brown who takes credit for winning, but not losing - and they played below expectations.

What parallel is there for a team like this? There isn't one. Sure, it's not all about race - and people always think that's a cop-out to default to it.
In 1988, they didn't make the money these guys make and there was no dream team precedent.

I wrote about this issue
and avoided the stance Whitlock took, but what he's saying is not that far off. And I don't generally agree with him.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:57 PM   #50
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:

Of course they weren't - the Russians were beating up everyone they played and appeared to be on their way to the gold. If our Dream Team was winning like they did in prior Olympics then everyone would either be happy or not care - nobody would be complaining that we're beating up the world by 30 point margins.

And to that point, I'm sure nobody in the Soviet Union was lining up to congratulate their players when they lost to the Americans so why should we be happy about players who are representing our country so poorly?