Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2004, 06:33 AM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Aliens Vs. Predator

Anyone see this movie yet? I'm going to go this afternoon. Son and his friend are going to see some Yu-Gi-Oh crap, and I'm gonna see this one. I'll let you guys know how it is when I get back. I was watching Headline News yesterday, and they didn't think it was too good.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:37 AM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I haven't seen it, so take this for what it's worth.

But rottentomatoes is giving it rotten reviews (that site has a collection of professional critics' comments from all across the country), and the studio did the dreaded "don't screen it for the critics" deal--that is, they scheduled a late Thursday night screening as the first time the movie was shown to critics, so that the writers can't meet their deadlines for the next day. The movie then gets a day of business before the critics tear it apart. Supposedly, the studio doing the new Exorcist film next week is doing the same thing.

Obviously, movies for which this is done are often some of the worst ever made.

So just to warn you.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 07:08 AM   #3
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I heard Predator loses and blames it on tearing a knee ligament in the first round.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 07:45 AM   #4
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It was a fun movie. Good story and plot? No. It was an excuse to see the Alien fight Predators. Predictable and goofy, but fun.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
thrym
Mascot

Seen it and I'd give it a C, maybe a C+...they cut SOOOOO much out from the novel, I'm sure for time and ratings reasons, however, what WAS in it was right outta the book SO, it stands to reason that the EXTENDED version or Director's Cut DVD will kick major BUTT with all the restored footage.

Also, I'd suggest anyone who wants to 'like' this movie, read the book... its much more fulfilling. But, I guess the book is always better than the film.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:42 AM   #6
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrym
Seen it and I'd give it a C, maybe a C+...they cut SOOOOO much out from the novel, I'm sure for time and ratings reasons, however, what WAS in it was right outta the book SO, it stands to reason that the EXTENDED version or Director's Cut DVD will kick major BUTT with all the restored footage.

Also, I'd suggest anyone who wants to 'like' this movie, read the book... its much more fulfilling. But, I guess the book is always better than the film.

There was actually a novel?????

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:52 AM   #7
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
There was actually a novel?????

Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:24 PM   #8
CraigSca
Pro Starter

As with all things, the movie was based on a Shel Silverstein poem from "Where the Sidewalk Ends".
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 03:54 PM   #9
Easy Mac

I prefer the Missing Piece.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:23 PM   #10
Raiders Army
Coordinator

After seeing it, it was worth $5-6, but not the $10 I paid for a freaking matinee. It was pretty much everything I thought it was, but they could've done a lot more with it. That being said, the ending was no surprise. There were quite a few plot holes in it though. DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS!

Spoiler space

#1: The Predators have had the same technology for milennia???
#2: Okay...the Earth was pretty much the same as it was in 1904. Even if the temple had heated up, who would've known about it? And if no one had known about it, how would the Predators produce Aliens? (especially since the pyramid was a trap for humans)
#3: Badass Alien takes down Predator? Don't know if I believe that. The badass Predator was waaaay more believeable, after watching one of them kick California and Minnesota's Governors' asses.

That being said, I will get this on DVD. Definitely enjoyable. Could've been much worse, could've been even better. A little corny at times and predictable, but I'd give it a B-.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote