Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

What's Gotten Into Ron Dayne?!

I know it's just preseason, but...2 TDs in the 1st half, the first on a 3rd-and-1 where he hit the pile and bounced outside, outrunning everyone for a 29-yard TD, and the second on Eli's second snap as a pro, taking the hand-off and running through the right tackle, untouched, for 67 yards. You heard right - he outsprinted the entire secondary down the right sideline.

KC looks just like last year - great offense, bad defense.

Have I mentioned how great the NFL Network is?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:39 PM   #2
Easy Mac

the holy spirit?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:50 PM   #3
The Un-Ghosted Chubby
Banned

Has Dayne lost any weight?
The Un-Ghosted Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:50 PM   #4
Ksyrup

He's down to 240. Not sure what he used to be, but that's apparently a big improvement.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-13-2004, 08:51 PM   #5
Comey
College Starter

If he lost weight, it wouldn't be what's gotten into Ron, would it?

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:52 PM   #6
The Un-Ghosted Chubby
Banned

I head heard coming into this year he was trying to lose weight to get back to being usable for an NFL team so I wasn't sure if he had actually done it or not. Good to here for Giants fans as I've never been a huge fan of Tiki.
The Un-Ghosted Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:55 PM   #7
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
He's down to 240. Not sure what he used to be, but that's apparently a big improvement.

I think he was around 265 last year.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:05 PM   #8
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey
If he lost weight, it wouldn't be what's gotten into Ron, would it?

Could be Jason Giambi's parasite.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:08 PM   #9
miked
College Starter

It's called being a 5 yr vet and playing against 2nd and 3rd teamers. Come season time, he'll be back to closing his eyes and falling forward for 2 yds.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:37 PM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think it's the realization that Coughlin WILL bench Tiki if he continues to fumble like he's playing Pop Warner.

Coughlin ain't havin' that shit. So Dayne realizes he may see some actual playing time if he's in shape and works hard.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:38 PM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I love Tiki but I think the coaching change and the problems the Tiki have had holding on to the ball have given Dayne some confidence. He also has been under Fassel for his whole career, mabye there is a different offensive philosophy that is condusive to Daynes style, I mean it's obviou the guy has talent.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:41 PM   #12
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

I read he was down in the 230 range...
Old 08-13-2004, 09:45 PM   #13
Ksyrup

They said during the game he reported at 240, I think. Maybe he sweat off another 10 pounds.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:07 PM   #14
The_herd
College Starter

I read he's not happy with being told to lose wait, but he's desperate to play this year so he's doing whatever Coughlin tells him. Apparently he really believes he plays better at the 265 he was at last year. Hasn't watched much film of his play in the NFL I guess (but neither have we). Coughlin has also been trying to get him to stop with the dancing behind the line and just hit the hole so he can be used as a short yardage/goaline back.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:51 AM   #15
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
It's called being a 5 yr vet and playing against 2nd and 3rd teamers. Come season time, he'll be back to closing his eyes and falling forward for 2 yds.

heh Troy Hambrick syndrome
Old 08-14-2004, 12:53 AM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

i bet he gets fought over on fantasy league waiver wires cause of this.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:56 AM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Since its totally offtopic to this discussion, I'll post it here. What is the word out of Buffalos camp about Maghee. I may go up to see a game there this season cause the Steelers are sold out for the next eternity.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 01:06 AM   #18
sabotai
General Manager

I've always thought Dayne had the natural ability to be a good back, but since he was drafted, each year his discipline and determination has gone down more and more. His rookie year, he showed signs of developing into a really good back, and then his second year it looked like he gave up trying. If he still thinks he can run better at 265 than at under 240, that's his laziness talking. He might be "driven" now, but it's only a matter of time before the undisciplined Dayne returns and eventually gets benched/cut. Coughlin won't put up with Dayne if he goes back to not trying.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 01:39 AM   #19
3ric
College Starter

nytimes.com reported Dayne went down from 272 pounds to 234.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:55 AM   #20
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
I mean it's obvious the guy has talent.

Well I'd actually say given his past performances, it is anything but obvious. I think he looked promising early in his first year, but hasn't shown much since.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:07 AM   #21
SunDevil
College Prospect

Isn't his first contract that he signed when he entered the draft expiring soon? Could he just be another example of the playing for the new contract syndrome.?
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:10 AM   #22
sabotai
General Manager

No, his rookie contract expired last year and they resigned him to a cheap contract because he was an RFA. I have no idea when that one expires, though (possibly after this year)
Old 08-14-2004, 02:22 AM   #23
Ragone
Pro Rookie

He was playing against players the chiefs have that will be sacking groceries at the local price chopper next week.. so keep that in mind
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 03:42 AM   #24
Suicane75
Coordinator

Jim McGreevey
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 09:04 AM   #25
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
No, his rookie contract expired last year and they resigned him to a cheap contract because he was an RFA. I have no idea when that one expires, though (possibly after this year)
I believe this is wrong and that he is now in the final year of his rookie deal.

edit: and nflpa.org backs up my belief:

Player Profile

Dayne, Ron
View Stats at Players Inc Site
Player Info

Draft Info

RB (#27)

Year: 2000

New York Giants

Round: 1

Roseland, NJ

Position: 11

Salary History

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 08-14-2004 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:50 AM   #26
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
He was playing against players the chiefs have that will be sacking groceries at the local price chopper next week.. so keep that in mind

Is this a good time to ask the difference between the Chiefs players who will be sacking groceries next week and the ones who will actually start on opening day?

In all seriousness, the first of Dayne's TD runs came in the opening minutes of the second quarter. The other came about five minutes after that. Even this early in the preseason, you were looking at Chief players who are going to be battling for second team spots there.

The Chiefs offense will once again be incredible. Thier defensive problems go much further than the coordinater and it's a shame they didn't realize that. (Yes, I'm a Bronco fan, but I can think of worse things than having guys like Priest Holmes, Trent Green, Dick Vermeil, Dante Hall winning) (even if it would mean Eddie Kennison and Johnnie Morton would be included)

One injury to Priest Holmes and the Chiefs become an 8-8 or worse team with that defense.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 01:44 PM   #27
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
edit: and nflpa.org backs up my belief:

No it doesn't. All it states is what his salary has been each year, it (well, what you posted anyway) doesn't state anything about his contract situation. There could have been a new contract in there and the history just keeps recording.

However, yes, I did look it up and saw several news articles that do state he is in his final year of his contract this year.

On another note, has anyone read any articles on this? They keep saying that Fassal kept Dayne inactive last year (which is true), but they seem to imply that Dayne has always been capable of this and that Fassal was a bad coach for keeping him inactive. Makes you wonder how many of these news reporters actually pay attention to football outside of the Suber Bowl...
Old 08-14-2004, 02:44 PM   #28
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
No it doesn't. All it states is what his salary has been each year, it (well, what you posted anyway) doesn't state anything about his contract situation.

Wrong. It shows future years for players under contract beyond 2004. Go look one up.

Random Example:

Boldin, Anquan
View Stats at Players Inc Site
Player Info

Draft Info

WR (#)

Year: 2003

Arizona Cardinals

Round: 2

Tallahassee, FL

Position: 22

Salary History

Back to Results

Old 08-14-2004, 03:16 PM   #29
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Wrong. It shows future years for players under contract beyond 2004. Go look one up.

Do you have a reading problem or something? I specifically said what you posted didn't show anything. I would have looked one up if the site didn't require you to sign up for it.

Last edited by sabotai : 08-14-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:30 PM   #30
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
it (well, what you posted anyway) doesn't state anything about his contract situation.

I read what you wrote, did you?

How did what I post NOT say something about his contract situtation? What the data says is "the contract is up after this year."

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 08-14-2004 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:37 PM   #31
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think the biggest statement about Fassel's faith in Ron Dayne actually came in his rookie season. Despite the "good" year, he didn't have single carry in the Super Bowl.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:40 PM   #32
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Still his rookie contract:

Quote:
The former University of Wisconsin star running back signed a five-year, $7.14 million contract Friday that included a signing bonus of $4.5 million so he could report to the New York Giants training camp on time.
http://www.jsonline.com/badger/fb/ju...ne22072100.asp
Old 08-14-2004, 03:41 PM   #33
SunDevil
College Prospect

Maybe a Giants fan can explain to me, besides Tiki who else was a good running back on that team for the last two years. Wouldn't you keep Dayne on your team just for the change of pace?

It will be very interesting to watch Dayne this year, as stated above it looks like he has the playing for a new contract syndrome. We will see if he stays infected when playing in the regular season against first team players....
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 03:45 PM   #34
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
How did what I post NOT say something about his contract situtation? What the data says is "the contract is up after this year."

The term "Salary History" does no imply "This is his contract". When I saw that, all I saw was "this is how much money he has made each year" not "his contract is up after this year". I don't have an account at the site, which is why I specifically pointed out I was going on just what you posted.

But then again, it would say that to you since you know that the site displays the salary situation for each year of his contract. But I didn't, so there's no way I could have known that.

Quote:
I think the biggest statement about Fassel's faith in Ron Dayne actually came in his rookie season. Despite the "good" year, he didn't have single carry in the Super Bowl.

Not to mention, in that game with Minnesota when they were running down the clock, it wasn't Dayne who was in there pounding the ball and running the clock, it was their 3rd string back (Washington?). Hard to beleive that Fassel was saving him for the Super Bowl now since he didn't get a carry.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:46 PM   #35
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Still his rookie contract:

Yes, we know now. I even said that...someone's still not reading.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:56 PM   #36
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Quote:
Those 96 yards on two attempts represented almost 25 percent of his season rushing yardage (428) from the last year he appeared in a regular season game (2002). He finished the half with 102 yards rushing on just seven carries, a healthy 14.6 average.

So remove the two big ones and you have

6 yards on 5 carries.

impressive
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:09 PM   #37
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
So remove the two big ones and you have

6 yards on 5 carries.

impressive

PREDICTION!!!!

He won't break anymore big runs the rest of the preseason, and he'll end up with stats like 5 carries for 6 yards and everyone will forget about him again.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:19 PM   #38
Yossarian
High School Varsity

thats a distinct possibility.

Thing is... you CANT ignore two good runs... but you cant ignore the rest of it either.

If it was two big runs + 5 carries for 20 yards it would almost be 'safe' to expect him to be good this year.

As it stands I say "well done" and "can you do it again?".
Old 08-14-2004, 06:27 PM   #39
sabotai
General Manager

He's had several long runs in his career. During his rookie and second seasons, every once in awhile he'd suddenly appear and break a 40 or 50 yard TD run. But then slump back down to below mediocre for awhile, usually at least several weeks. That's why I think he doesn't do anything for the rest of preseason. It wouldn't be Dayne if he kept it up.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:56 PM   #40
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
He's had several long runs in his career. During his rookie and second seasons, every once in awhile he'd suddenly appear and break a 40 or 50 yard TD run. But then slump back down to below mediocre for awhile, usually at least several weeks. That's why I think he doesn't do anything for the rest of preseason. It wouldn't be Dayne if he kept it up.

If he does what Coughlin wants and cuts out the dancing and juking behind the line and through the hole and actually uses his size and speed as an advantage there's a good chance he has a pretty decent year. However, if he reverts back to his old self, expect another year where he averages somewhere around 3.5ypc, at best.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:59 PM   #41
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Is this a good time to ask the difference between the Chiefs players who will be sacking groceries next week and the ones who will actually start on opening day?

In all seriousness, the first of Dayne's TD runs came in the opening minutes of the second quarter. The other came about five minutes after that. Even this early in the preseason, you were looking at Chief players who are going to be battling for second team spots there.

Chiefs pulled their starters after the 1st quarter ended..
Old 08-14-2004, 08:21 PM   #42
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Don Banks: SI.com

Quote:
Against the Chiefs, Dayne had a statement game that will resonant for a while. In the second quarter, still facing the majority of K.C.'s first-team defense, Dayne had touchdown runs of 29 and 67 yards -- on back-to-back carries.

he says majority of first team still in there (then again, it IS the chiefs)
Old 08-14-2004, 09:46 PM   #43
Ragone
Pro Rookie

By Majority.. basically the db's were still in.. and i think Kawika Mitchell (who only starts because mike maSLOWski is hurt).. i know barber/fujita/sims/holliday/woods were out of the game by that point.. which is basically all of the talent the chiefs have on d(ha)

Hicks had gotten hurt earlier in the 1st and was out. I'm not trying to defend the chiefs defense because yes.. they still suck..