Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

ping: computer types/ wireless interenet help needed

I have an exisiting wireless router in my house, which is currently being used by 1 laptop computer.

I'm looking to move on of my PC's which is connected by wire right now, to a completely seperate part of the house.

Obviously not wanting to run wires, I want to just purchase a card/receiver/whatever I need to get this thing running wirelessly.

Any guidance on what I should get? Do I need to get some sort of card, or can I get something that will connect to USB? Would there be major transfer rate diffeences between those options?

I'm looking for the best marriage between quality and cheapness here, regardless of what type of hardward I buy to make it happen.

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:21 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

dola. And the router apparently can transmit a max of 54mbps, so I guess being able to receive any more than that would be wasted on my PC.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:22 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I had a USB receiver that worked just great in my old place. However, the distance between the wireless router and the receiver was only about 15 feet. It might depend on how far apart your computer and the router are going to be. Also, what intervening structures are between them (how many walls, floors, etc.)?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:28 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I had a USB receiver that worked just great in my old place. However, the distance between the wireless router and the receiver was only about 15 feet. It might depend on how far apart your computer and the router are going to be. Also, what intervening structures are between them (how many walls, floors, etc.)?
2 floors down. I know this is do-able, since the laptop will work down there without issue. You raise a great point though, distance is a definite issue. I don't want to skimp on something and have it either not work or only work intermittantly.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 08-12-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:40 PM   #5
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Basically all you need is a usb device (much easier than a PCI one where you have to open computer) that connects PC to the wireless network.

You need one of these:

801.11G 54mbs USB Wirless Network Adapter

I'm using the Linksys "Wirless G" one just now and its fine.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
Yossarian
High School Varsity

dola...

note if you are using a USB one you need to have 'USB 2' on your PC (good chance if you bought it in last 2 years).

The reason is that the 'G' devices (that run at 54) use more bandwidth that old style USB can handle.

A 'G' device will work on older USB but wont go at full speed.

FYI both variations of USB look the same visually.

if you have USB 1 (older type) you can use a 'G' device (and have it go slow.. but be a bit more future proof). OR you can buy a cheaper 'B' device which would be one of these:

802.11b 11mbs USB Wireless Network Adapter

Both speed devices are compatable. Meaning that if your router and laptop run on 'G' speed, adding a 'B' speed comptuer will slow down the network to 'B' speed but will enable all machines to use internet / network at once.

Also.. its worth nothing that even the slowest wireless speed ('B' at 11mbs) is still 5 times faster than a 2MB cable / ADSL internet connection. Meaning that your internet surfing speed would be the same nomatter what speed your network ran at. The only disadvantage to a slower network would be file transfer between machines.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:45 PM   #7
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
801.11G 54mbs USB Wirless Network Adapter
Yep...it's a piece of cake to set these things up.

I have two desktops, a laptop and my Playstation all on my wireless network.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:48 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

There seem to be a number of similar looking linksys USB adapters available... any guidance on which one I want?

Frankly, I'd be fine with one of you literally telling me to buy X model, and I will do so. It's much easier.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:53 PM   #9
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Linksys part# WUSB54G
Old 08-12-2004, 08:54 PM   #10
Yossarian
High School Varsity

This is what I have

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=36&prid=578

(which is the one DD mentions above)

Last edited by Yossarian : 08-12-2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:54 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

WUSB54G it is. thanks guys.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:59 PM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yep, that worked fine for me. However, my laptop got an intermittent signal so I had to buy a repeater. I mentioned it in a thread on here. But if you already know your laptop will work in your place, it shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:17 PM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I just wanted to thank you guys. Despite the FedEx nightmare, the unit works perfectly and was up and running in less than 5 minutes.

FOFC rocks.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:25 PM   #14
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Linksys part# WUSB54G

A little late to the party, but part # WUSSY5000 would have worked just as well.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:29 PM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
A little late to the party, but part # WUSSY5000 would have worked just as well.

Cool, let me write that down for future....wwwwaaaait a minute!