Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2004, 08:20 AM   #1
3ric
College Starter

Barry Sanders interview (link)

http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/mitch6_20040806.htm

Great read, an interesting piece by Mitch Albom that sheds some light on Sanders' personality.

3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 08:44 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yet another reason why I miss Barry Sanders:

M: Did that have anything to do with your rookie season -- when in the final game, you didn't want to go back in the game for a few more yards to get the rushing title?

B: Well, I think . . . yes . . . for me, the achievement was being able to do it -- not necessarily crossing the mark. Hey, if you play long enough, you'll break every record -- but for me, the greatest satisfaction was being able to make something happen during the course of a game, to always be dangerous as a running back.

M: But that doesn't explain why you wouldn't go in your rookie year for those extra 10 yards. You still could have been all those things . . .

B: Yeah . . . right.

M: Why not go back in then?

B: Because that would have been for everybody else, not for me.

M: But it was your record. B: No, because up to that point, every run that I had made -- every game that I had played in -- it was in the spirit of competition -- the way the game is intended. But to go in just for the purpose of the record, that's different than going in because we need these yards -- or we need these points. You know what I mean?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:16 AM   #3
Raiders Army
Coordinator

One of the most exciting backs I've ever seen, he's also the classiest.

I did like the end where he took the leftover food with him...to me,that illustrates that he is a regular guy...and consequently makes him more endearing.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:20 AM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, I didn't like the way he quit on the Lions (not that he did, but the way he did it), but otherwise, he's been nothing but class his entire career.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
One of the most exciting backs I've ever seen, he's also the classiest.

One of the most exciting backs : yes.
THE classiest ? I don't think so. He's certainly a class act, but the way he "handled" (if we can call it like that) his retirement was really disastrous...and really wront towards his team.

Didn't say a word, didn't call anybody, just left without notice. Not a "class act" in my books.

I admire the RB though.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:34 AM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

He was a great talent no doubt but I do tire of the constant gushing over just handing the ball to the ref. It's like he's above the spikers or something? I never heard Sanders infer that but some that talk about him seem to get at that sometimes with the classy thing.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:40 AM   #7
Raiders Army
Coordinator

It's always easy to point out other people's faults, and I'm not saying that Barry Sanders handled his retirement well. Who would you consider is the classiest RB? Marcus Allen comes close in my mind, but he signed with the Chiefs.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:57 AM   #8
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

meh- I dont blame him or anyone else for the retirment thing- its a personal choice, and I can understand frustration with something boiling over. Its entirely possible its been brewing for a while and the Lions knew about it, but we will never know the whole story. I like the guy, and I respect his decisions, however he may have made it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 10:19 AM   #9
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Beyond all that classy or not classy stuff -

I really miss watching him play.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 10:20 AM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
Beyond all that classy or not classy stuff -

I really miss watching him play.

I second the motion.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:46 AM   #11
KevinNU7
College Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
M: But it was your record. B: No, because up to that point, every run that I had made -- every game that I had played in -- it was in the spirit of competition -- the way the game is intended. But to go in just for the purpose of the record, that's different than going in because we need these yards -- or we need these points. You know what I mean?
wow
Old 08-06-2004, 11:18 AM   #12
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I watched this Barry Sanders special last night on the NFL Network, all I can say is wow, seeing that many crazy highlights just blows your mind. As one of his coaches was pointing out, you could put together (and they did) a highlight reel just of 1 yard runs and it would be pretty amazing.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote