Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2004, 10:06 AM   #1
Tex Schramm
n00b

Walker to Hawks

Antoine Walker to Atlanta for Jason Terry and change...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=1851245

Just what the Mavs need, another off guard (and he is more of an off guard than a point guard).

Tex Schramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:10 AM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Atlantians must be thrilled.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #3
Joe
Pro Starter

Just when you thought Atlanta couldn't possibly get any worse... they do this.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:18 AM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

what will they draw next year? 1,500 a night?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:21 AM   #5
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
A trade post from Tex Schramm made me think Dallas managed to move Herschel again.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:22 AM   #6
kurtism
High School Varsity

unless i am mistaken, walker is in the last year of his deal - this is nothing more than a salary dump
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:48 AM   #7
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Atlantians must be thrilled.
I think this is a great trade for the Hawks. As much as people rail on Antoine Walker, Alan Henderson is twice the drain on a team. Jason Terry is nothing more than a career backup, so Walker can give us a contract year performance this season and huge cap relief next season. It's probably the best trade they've made in 10 years.

Last edited by VPI97 : 08-03-2004 at 10:49 AM.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:02 AM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
I think this is a great trade for the Hawks. As much as people rail on Antoine Walker, Alan Henderson is twice the drain on a team. Jason Terry is nothing more than a career backup, so Walker can give us a contract year performance this season and huge cap relief next season. It's probably the best trade they've made in 10 years.

See, I knew they would be thrilled.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:04 AM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

All of the "Salary Dump" trades get pretty freaking old after awhile in the NBA. I guess Walker and change isnt going to the Nets for Kidd.......seems like Cuban has some sort of brain.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:06 AM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

They are no lock for even 15 wins next year.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #11
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Just when you thought Atlanta couldn't possibly get any worse... they do this.

Sorry to disappoint, but this was a good move. Alan Henderson is the biggest waste of skin to play in the NBA. The Hawks just removed the Henderson albatross from their necks. Next year, when the free agent market is considerably better than this year, the Hawks will at least have the manueverablility to go after big-time free agents. Whether they will land them, and whether they will over-pay for them remains to be seen.

Also, there is still the possibility the Hawks will land Dampier. Add that peice and the Hawks aren't horribly bad. Just mostly bad.

Lastly, NO ONE expects the Hawks to turn things around in a year. This gives them the foundation to build a team over the next 2-3 years.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:19 PM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I'm guessing it takes much longer than 2-3 years.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:22 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At some point the Hawks just need to give up. Im not sure why they drafted 5 SF types in the NBA draft this year. Didnt make a whole lot of sense. Especially when they have several other swingmen types on their roster.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:39 PM   #14
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
At some point the Hawks just need to give up. Im not sure why they drafted 5 SF types in the NBA draft this year. Didnt make a whole lot of sense. Especially when they have several other swingmen types on their roster.

Yeah, that was a head-scratcher for me as well.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:46 PM   #15
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

The Hawks aren't going to be very good this season, but they could be fun to watch.

There's no PG to speak of (they'll have to make another move - I'll talk to Danny Ainge about him sending you Atlantans Chucky Atkins), but they could start 3 players at the 2-3-4 who all offer distinct advantages of size or speed at those positions.

With either Childress or JSmith at SG, Harrington at SF, and Walker at PF, the Hawks can likely create some favorable matchups, especially if Harrington or Childress post up smaller defenders and let Walker play point-forward.

Collier looks to be the center, which isn't much, but in the East, probably isn't a black hole.

The team goes 2 deep on the bench though. Diaw and either Smith or Childress. That's pretty much it.

They're not going to win a whole lot of games, but they could be a fun team to watch.
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:00 PM   #16
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMassHokie
The Hawks aren't going to be very good this season, but they could be fun to watch.

There's no PG to speak of (they'll have to make another move - I'll talk to Danny Ainge about him sending you Atlantans Chucky Atkins), but they could start 3 players at the 2-3-4 who all offer distinct advantages of size or speed at those positions.

With either Childress or JSmith at SG, Harrington at SF, and Walker at PF, the Hawks can likely create some favorable matchups, especially if Harrington or Childress post up smaller defenders and let Walker play point-forward.

Collier looks to be the center, which isn't much, but in the East, probably isn't a black hole.

The team goes 2 deep on the bench though. Diaw and either Smith or Childress. That's pretty much it.

They're not going to win a whole lot of games, but they could be a fun team to watch.

Early reports from summer ball are that Smith has impressed, while Childress has not.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:00 PM   #17
rkmsuf
Head Coach

This could be the most Hawks talk we'll see all year.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:03 PM   #18
Buzzbee
College Starter

Yeah, the idea of college football and pro football just around the corner, and the Hawks making the front of the sports section is...well, totally foreign.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:14 PM   #19
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Early reports from summer ball are that Smith has impressed, while Childress has not.

I take summer ball results with a huge grain of salt. A salt lick even.

The summer leagues are fun, but for what ever reason, they seem to show little to know correllation with NBA ability.

Ask Kedrick Brown.
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:22 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Smith looks like an attitude problem.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:45 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=1851245

ESPN is now reporting this deal will be:
Walker & Tony Delk to Atlanta
Terry, Henderson & a 1st round pick from Atlanta via Philadelphia to Dallas

Q: How the heck do the Hawks get to trade a pick to Dallas that they've already traded to Philly (in the Glenn Robinson deal last year)?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:03 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Actually that pick went to Atlanta in the Glen Robinson trade, not vice versa. So the Hawks are transferring the pick that they currently possess.

Last edited by stevew : 08-03-2004 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:02 PM   #23
FBPro
College Starter

Who are the Hawks again?
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:31 PM   #24
Tex Schramm
n00b

The Mavs said they were going to go after frontcourt help this offseason...so they got rid of Antawn Jamison and Walker, and added three guards (Stackhouse, Devin Harris, Jason Terry). Makes perfect sense to me.

But I still think it's a great trade for Dallas, because they got great value in return for Walker (a fine young player in Terry, an expiring contract, and a first-round pick). Word is that Terry might not be in Dallas too long - and I think he's a very tradeable asset.

But it's disturbing how overloaded the Mavs are now at guard. They're being managed like they're a fantasy team. When will they learn that small ball doesn't work?
Old 08-03-2004, 11:37 PM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think the Mavs acquisition of Christian Laettner will be key
Old 08-04-2004, 03:28 PM   #26
cincyreds
High School Varsity

As a long time Mavs fan, I am glad to see Walker go.

I like the 1st rd pick also. But something tells me that Cuban is gaining value for a BIG time trade coming soon.

We'll see.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:43 PM   #27
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Hasn't Atlanta been dumping salary for, like, 3 years now? When do they get to stop?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:31 PM   #28
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Hasn't Atlanta been dumping salary for, like, 3 years now? When do they get to stop?

When they stop acquiring new, dead salary to replace it (Jon Kontract...umm..Koncak, Allen Henderson, Isaiah Rider, Glen Robinson, etc.)

Last edited by Buzzbee : 08-04-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 12:51 AM   #29
Tex Schramm
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyreds
As a long time Mavs fan, I am glad to see Walker go.

I like the 1st rd pick also. But something tells me that Cuban is gaining value for a BIG time trade coming soon.

We'll see.

You may be right about that. They've gathered up an awful lot of expiring contracts and players that don't really fit in there. That 60-day moratorium on moving acquired players might be enough time for the Mavs to see whether Jason Kidd's knee is healthy enough.

But I think they're trying to do two things at once. They're bringing in pieces they need to make a big trade, but at the same time all those moves have to be good for the team because there's no guarantee a deal will get done. I think that might have happened with Shaq...