when you were around.

Sooner or later everyone dies
but I wish I never had to say good-bye
Goodbye.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Saturday morning before I left for field preparation before our baseball game I let him outside with me while I was getting ready, typically he will just walk around the house and take a leak. As I was getting closer to leaving I had to go inside, I looked around the corner of the house and he was sitting in the yard. I went inside real quick and when I came out he was gone. About 4 hours later when I was home for about two minutes, I decided to yell inside thinking he may have snuck in the house when the door was open earlier in the day. No signs of him, then as I was getting in my truck I heard him barking and then seen him running to me. At that point I was relieved that he was back but he was a mess so I tied him up and left for the game. When I got home he appeared to be sad, tired, or something...didn't really think he was sick. So I didn't think much of it.

Sunday morning I woke up and there was three spots of puke on the floor. He was still "down", as the progressed he started moaning non-stop and he could not sleep. He was very cuddly all day, then around 9pm I decided to call my aunt who used to work at a Vet. She said I need to call the vet ASAP, so I called the Vet and he said just to give him some honey to make him eat and drink a little and come in first thing in the morning. He hadn't eaten or drank anything all day. He drank a little water, I decided it was time to go to bed. His moaning got louder and louder, I tried putting ear plugs in because I wanted him to sleep with me so I could monitor him but after about two hours I decided to put him in his cage for the night.

This morning when I woke up at 8am to take him to the vet, I found that he had passed away last night sometime.

Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Sorry to hear.

Was he older? My wife and I had our first cat die at just one-year old from a heart condition. It happened right as it started getting hot and muggy here (just about this time of the year, actually), so I didn't think much about the fact that he had been so sluggish around the house for the past couple of weeks. Then one Sunday night, we found him in the closet, wheezing and having a difficult time breathing. My wife took him to the vet Monday morning, and on Tuesday morning when she called to find out what the test results were, she was told he had died during the night.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:45 AM   #5
Balldog
Pro Rookie

He was three years old. I actually bought him for an ex a few years ago then when we went separate ways she couldn't take him so I took him. I thought this would be difficult being how he was here everyday but I think the fact that I had some quality "loving" time yesterday has made it easier. Out of the six dogs I have had in my life, none have come close to being as great as him though. I had three people ask me just last week if I ever got rid of him if they could have him. When I called my grandma this morning she started crying and she hates 99.9% of dogs.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:45 AM   #6
AnalBumCover
College Starter

So sorry to hear.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:50 AM   #7
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Sorry to hear man, one of the hardest times in my life is when I lost my first dog. I had him since I was 5 yrs old and lost her when I turned 14, took everything in me not to cry my eyes out in front of all my friends. It's weird though because for the next few weeks, I'd come home and expect to see her, or hear her barking ... took a while to get used to the fact that she was gone. Sorry to hear, bro ... I know how you feel.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:10 AM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That sucks

I've become so attached to my kittens, and it's made me think how much I will miss them when they die

Also, makes me think back to my childhood when my first pet dog died. Sambooka was such a great dog, always willing to chase whatever I threw.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your loss.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:22 AM   #9
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Then one Sunday night, we found him in the closet, wheezing and having a difficult time breathing. My wife took him to the vet Monday morning, and on Tuesday morning when she called to find out what the test results were, she was told he had died during the night.

Same thing happened with my cat, he was 4'ish, tests over the past few years had said "maybe he has a very slight heart murmer, maybe not" but we never did anything about it. He'd had a hairball for a few days, then one day he's fine when I get in the shower, I come out and he's thrown up about 5 times and can't stand up anymore and is lying on his side panting.

Took him to an emergency vet and they tried a few things to get him out of what was apparently shock, but couldn't do anything for him, they said that his heart was probably a little bit weak and likely the stress of being sick w/ the hairball got to him, real sad stuff.

Sorry balldog
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:33 AM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We had absolutely no warning, and in fact, had gotten him the Human Society, which is supposed to screen animals (and their 'relatives') for this kind of stuff. We had no clue.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:50 AM   #11
tucker342
Pro Starter

My 14 year old dog died last year of a brain tumor... it was one of the saddest days of my life.

One of the few times I can remember crying.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:02 AM   #12
condors
College Starter

i am sorry for your loss
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:22 PM   #13
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I too am sorry for your loss. If I were you I would try to determine what happened with him. I know someone whose dog had an intestinal blockage, and had similar symptoms. You should try and rule out Parvo as the cause, because Parvo will stick around your property and make animals sick in the future.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:10 PM   #14
bbor
Pro Starter

I had a 3 YO Jack russel terrier die on me a few years ago.He had cancer.....i was happy to see him go and stop suffering,But it took everything out of me for a few days not to see him around.

He was a maniac...but i loved him with all my heart

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:12 PM   #15
korme
Go Reds

The only dog I ever had died on Thanksgiving to a hit and run the guy didn't even stop, I only had him for about 2 years, he was a very friendly dalmation. Sad.

Last edited by korme : 04-26-2004 at 02:32 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:31 PM   #16
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

So sorry to hear that Balldog. I have a 12 year old Cocker Spaniel, and I have had it since I was 5. Obviously, I am 17 now. I don't know how I will handle it when she dies. That dog is my brothers. MY dog is 9, a mini Schnauzer. I am especially close to her. I truly believe a dog is a man's best friend and my heartfelt sympathy goes out to you.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:34 PM   #17
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

dola -

Have you found out what your dog died of? When I was 7 my first ever dog died overnight like yours. Vomiting the day before, a lot of it was just blood. I don't recall what it was, but I remember my parents telling me if they didn't wait overnight she may have lived The vet told them to wait and they did. I hate how vets do that, if my dog is f*cking sick now, I want her cared for now.

EDIT: Do you plan on buying a new dog, or adopting one? My parents bought my dog for me when that dog died and they said having a new puppy REALLY helped the grieving.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 04-26-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #18
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202
dola -
EDIT: Do you plan on buying a new dog, or adopting one? My parents bought my dog for me when that dog died and they said having a new puppy REALLY helped the grieving.

It may help to have another dog right away, but one thing i know, if you have more then one dog it sure helps the others, atleast it did mine.

I have/had a great dane/rott mix, and two great danes (brother and sister) who are a year younger. Last yr the brother dane died, got sick because we got hammered with ticks, everything i did to fight them failed and he ended up getting sick from them. The other two went on, we moved a month later into our new house and that seemed to help them some. about 2 months after that though, we went to the humane society and got a rott/mutt mix puppy. I never imagined such a changed would have happened. Right away the two older dogs (now 8 and 7) perked up and became very playful again, thier health and attitude which i thought seemed fine, became noticeably better by a ton.

With that being said, sorry to Balldog on his loss, it can be hard. Hoss, my dane/rott mix is my first dog that was "mine" and he is by fra the greatest dog i have ever and probably will ever have. He turned 8 yesterday, and i know i only have a few years left on the high end. I know i will cry when he goes....
Old 04-26-2004, 03:32 PM   #19
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I am sorry Balldog. The thing that has gotten me through my pets' deaths are that one day I will see them again in paradise.

It is often funny how we can get so attached to the little critters. They just find some way to capture our hearts. I know it is so sad to see them go.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:10 PM   #20
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Sorry to hear about your loss, Balldog. I've had a couple pets die, too. It's really sad, even if you don't have them very long.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:13 PM   #21
Suicane75
Coordinator

Sorry for your loss Balldog, I had 2 childhood pets that virtually grew up with me and I know what it's like to lose them, over time the immediate hurt will turn into happy memories.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:32 PM   #22
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Sorry to hear about your dog, Balldog.

I've lost two dogs in my lifetime...all 29 years of it. First one wasn't a big deal as we kind of inherited the dog from a neighbour who passed away. Never really got attached to that dog because all it did was sleep, eat, and shit...not much fun for a kid.

The second dog actually belonged to my little brother. He saved up his money and bought himself a siberian husky. She was a pretty good dog...always wanted to play...would always wanna run when she was out for a walk...and always had that tail going a million miles a minute...even after being hit by a car. Well, the car didn't kill her, some sort of stomach cancer did. So, mom and dad put her down...she was just about 8 years old...which is around the average age for siberian huskies.

The sad part was that both my brother and I were no longer living at home when the dog had to go down so we never got to say goodbye. I've got the last picture of her and I...actually the last time I saw her too...mom was getting ready to take me to the airport and I asked her to take a picture of the dog and I...anyways, the picture is on the fridge and always will be.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:14 PM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I echo the thoughts of many... sorry to hear the news.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:22 PM   #24
bbor
Pro Starter

I hate this thread,Makes me sad everytime i read it

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:32 PM   #25
SFL Cat
College Starter

It is indeed hard to lose a pet you love.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:14 AM   #26
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Sorry for your loss, Balldog. We have a pair of cats (my first non-cage, non-fishtank pets) in our household whom I am quite attached to and am dreading the days in 10-15 years when they will die. Before our daughter came along, these cats were effectively our family, especially after we moved away to Michigan from our families in NC.

Now that we do have a daughter, they are a little less important to us than they used to be, but I think I'll still be miserable for a time after they pass on.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:34 PM   #27
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Just wanted to say thanks guys. It sucks not coming home to him but I'll live. Life goes on.