Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2004, 09:58 PM   #1
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Kiper's Draft Grades

Editor's Note: ESPN.com draft guru Mel Kiper grades the selections of every team in this year's draft.

Arizona Cardinals: B
Larry Fitzgerald obviously is a great pick and Karlos Dansby is a nice fit for their system as a pure pass rusher. Darnell Dockett is a first-round talent if he stays focused, while Alex Stepanovich is a backup type on the offensive line and Antonio Smith could turn out to be a nice fifth-rounder.

Atlanta Falcons: A
DeAngelo Hall is a potential shutdown corner and a dynamic punt returner, and I like where the Falcons were able to get Michael Jenkins and Matt Schaub. Jenkins gives Michael Vick another big target and Schaub is a nice insurance policy should Vick get injured scrambling around. They also got great value in Demorrio Williams and Chad Lavalais.

Baltimore Ravens: B
Dwan Edwards and Roderick Green will be perfect for the Ravens' 3-4 system, and Devard Darling has good size and athletic ability at wide receiver. Josh Harris could be a good value as a late-round backup quarterback and Baltimore got the most of its other late round picks.

Buffalo Bills: C+
Lee Evans will be a big help to the offense with his speed at receiver, and it was a bold move to take J.P. Losman at quarterback. Tim Anderson was a good pick in the third round but Tim Euhus is limited as a tight end.

Carolina Panthers: C+
Chris Gamble is a raw corner but could become a great player, and I like where they got Keary Colbert and Travelle Wharton. Drew Carter can stay on the shelf for a year and recover from injury.

Chicago Bears: A
The Bears did a terrific job of getting players who will fit their schemes. Tommie Smith and Tank Johnson are ideal for Lovie Smith's defense, while Bernard Berrian gives them a guy with nice return skills. Nathan Vasher could contribute as a fourth defensive back and Leon Joe is a nice fit with his sub-4.5 speed, and if Claude Harriott can revert to the form he showed as a junior, he will contribute as well. Craig Krenzel has smarts and the ability to manage a team, making him a good pick as a career backup-type behind Rex Grossman.

Cincinnati Bengals: A
I was a little critical of their selection of Chris Perry, but the Bengals will get a nice second option to go behind Rudi Johnson. Kieran Ratliff is a big-play corner while Madieu Williams made sense at the safety spot. Caleb Miller is a productive linebacker while Matthias Askew made some things happen at Michigan State and could be a force with some experience and coaching. Stacy Andrews is a project at tackle who could pay dividends in two years. Maurice Mann is an underrated wideout and Greg Brooks could develop into a nice nickelback. I like what Marvin Lewis did to help his defense.

Cleveland Browns: B
Kellen Winslow is ideal for the offense of the Browns and will give Jeff Garcia a nice target over the middle, while Sean Jones and Luke McCown were nice value picks. Not a lot of players came into the fold but Cleveland did get quality from limited numbers.

Dallas Cowboys: C-
The Cowboys passed on the best back available in Steven Jackson but recovered somewhat by getting Julius Jones in the second round. Tackle Jacob Rogers has some durability concerns, but Bruce Thornton was a major reach at corner. Sean Ryan is an OK fit, but passing on Jackson and missed opportunities in the middle rounds drops Dallas' grade.

Denver Broncos: C+
D.J. Williams made sense because of the injury questions Denver has at linebacker, and Tatum Bell could be a game-breaking running back if he can secure the ball. Darius Watts came off the board a little early and needs to get bigger, but he is a great athlete. Jeremy LeSueur was a good value in the third round, but Jeff Shoate was just OK in the fifth round.

Detroit Lions: A
Roy Williams is a great pick as a complement to Charles Rogers at wide receiver, and the Lions upgraded one of the worst running games in the league with a dynamic performer in Kevin Jones. Teddy Lehman is a solid linebacker if he is protected by the defensive line and is productive, while Keith Smith was a great pickup in the third round and Alex Lewis will be a tremendous contributor on special teams. Kelly Butler was also a good value along the offensive line.

Green Bay Packers: C+
The Packers needed help in the secondary and got just that in cornerback Ahmad Carroll. Joey Thomas is a hard worker and a solid pick in the third round, and while Donnell Washington slipped to the third round, his talent could be an asset if he develops some consistency and gets his motor running. The third round was a little early to take punter B.J. Sander and the late-round picks were just OK.

Houston Texans: B+
I like what they did with the defense, getting tremendous help at corner in Dunta Robinson and end in Jason Babin. And if he comes back from the knee injury, Glenn Earl could be a nice value.

Indianapolis Colts: C
Bob Sanders will team with young safety Mike Doss to give Indy a solid duo in the back of the defense, while Ben Hartsock is an excellent all-around, blue-collar tight end. Gilbert Gardner is the perfect linebacker for their system because he can run and cover, but Kendyll Pope was a slight reach. Jake Scott could play either center or tackle, but Jason David was also a slight reach at DB because he does not run that well.

Jacksonville Jaguars: B+
Reggie Williams may have come off the board a little early, but he is definitely a solid wideout who can use his size to his advantage. Daryl Smith could be an excellent pro linebacker and Greg Jones was a super pick in the second round as a change of pace running back to team with Fred Taylor. Kicker Josh Scobee was a little bit of a reach, but every other pick was solid and should help the team.

Kansas City Chiefs: C
Junior Siavii sold himself to the Chiefs with a tremendous individual workout, and he has a real chance to contribute as a rookie and push Ryan Sims to be better for a defense that desperately needs improving. Kris Wilson will be utilized in a lot of different ways, including the passing game and on special teams, but he may have been taken a little early. Keyaron Fox was Georgia Tech's leading tackler last season and will upgrade the LB spot but also came off the board a little early. Samie Parker is speedy but inconsistent while Jared Allen needs some work in the weight room but does have pass-rush ability.

Miami Dolphins: C-
The Dolphins just did not come away with enough players. They did move up to get Vernon Carey, who will be in the mix at tackle, but Will Poole was a good pick after falling down the board a little. I like strength in numbers and Miami did not bring enough quality players into the fold.

Minnesota Vikings: A
Kenechi Udeze, Dontarrious Thomas and Darrion Scott will help immensely for a team that needed speed on defense, particularly speed outside off the edge. Nat Dorsey and Mewelde Moore were my top two players available on Day 2 and the Vikings got them both. Rod Davis will also help the front seven and Deandre Iland is a versatile defensive back, while Jeff Dugan is a strong blocker at the tight end spot.

New England Patriots: B+
Vince Wilfork will be a solid contributor to Bill Belichick's defense but Ben Watson needs to play up to his computer numbers. His production was not always equal to his great physical ability. Marquise Hill was not a bad value while Guss Scott and Dexter Reid were probably take a little early. Cedric Cobbs will be a nice complement to Corey Dillon at running back and P.K. Sam could be the big wideout the Patriots have been looking for.

New Orleans Saints: C
Again went for a defensive lineman over their big need at corner, but Will Smith was a tremendous value at No. 18. Devery Henderson is a speed receiver who will be a nice challenge for Joe Horn and Dante Stallworth. Courtney Watson was a nice addition for the defense as a versatile linebacker and I like Rodney Leslie, while Mike Karney is a tough blocker as a fullback for Deuce McAllister.

New York Giants: C+
It all hinges on Eli Manning and how he pans out. The Giants obviously felt he was significantly better than the other top quarterbacks or they would not have given up so much to get him. There will be tremendous pressure on him to make it all worth it, but Ernie Accorsi has a history of being a good judge of young quarterbacks, so it could all work out. Chris Snee was a solid pickup at guard but they did pass on Nat Dorsey, failing to upgrade the left tackle spot. Gibril Wilson was arguably the defensive MVP for Tennessee last season.

New York Jets: C+
Jonathan Vilma was moving up a lot of draft boards and fills a need for speed at linebacker, while Derrick Strait also adds speed at corner as a value pick in the third round. Jerricho Cotchery is a solid possession receiver but Adrian Jones is a project at tackle.

Oakland Raiders: B-
Robert Gallery is a can't-miss tackle prospect and Jake Grove is a nasty center who will upgrade that position. The Raiders needed receivers but did not get them until late with Carlos Francis and Johnny Morant.

Philadelphia Eagles: B
I like what the Eagles did, moving up to get Shawn Andrews, the tremendous run-blocking tackle from Arkansas, while Trey Darilek and Adrian Clarke will also provide some depth along the offensive front. Matt Ware and J.R. Reid are both versatile defensive backs and fullback Thomas Tapeh made sense in the fifth round.

Pittsburgh Steelers: B
You have to like the upgrade at quarterback with Ben Roethlisberger, and Ricardo Colclough is a nice pick in the second round as a guy who can eventually help fill a need at corner and be a good return man early on. Max Starks will help shore up the offensive line while Nathaniel Adibi is potentially a perfect fit for the Steelers' 3-4 scheme.

San Diego Chargers: B
If it were up to me, I would have held onto Eli Manning and done whatever it took to get him signed. Philip Rivers is a cerebral quarterback, though, who could have a Bernie Kosar-type career. Igor Olshansky, Shaun Phillips and Dave Ball will upgrade the defensive line, while Michael Turner was a good choice as a backup running back in the later rounds. And I like Nate Kaeding to be a great kicker for many years in the NFL. The Chargers were bailed out by the Giants and recovered nicely.

San Francisco 49ers: B
Moved down but still got some good players, starting with Rashaun Woods and Derek Hamilton at wide receiver. Woods is a polished, solid receiver who could start as a rookie and Justin Smiley could step in and start at guard in his first year as well. If Shawnte Spencer can remain a productive corner he will be a nice pick in the second round, and the defensive front was upgraded nicely in the later rounds.

Seattle Seahawks: C
They needed a solid defensive tackle and Marcus Tubbs will be a boom or bust player at that position. If he can stay consistent for four quarters, though, he will be a big-time performer. Linebacker Michael Boulware will be moved to safety, but I'm not sure I agree with that move since Sean Jones was still available at that point. Sean Locklear was a good pickup in the third round, but the rest of the draft was just OK as Seattle failed to bring in more help for the defensive front.

St. Louis Rams: B
Marshall Faulk has made only 21 starts over the last two years, so Steven Jackson is a perfect fit as the heir apparent at running back. Tony Hargrove did not play football last year but showed as a sophomore that he can get after the passer, so that is a roll of the dice. Safety Jason Shivers was one of the steals of the draft in the fifth round. Jeff Smoker is also a nice pick in the later rounds as a quarterback project, a guy I think could eventually be a solid player under the tutelage of Mike Martz.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: C
Michael Clayton will be a contributor at wideout and Marquise Cooper was an OK pick in the third round. Jeb Carey has good computer numbers but did not play up to his potential, and the Bucs are another team that just did not have enough in terms of numbers.

Tennessee Titans: A
Travis Laboy and Antwaan Odom have pass rush ability and will offset some losses in free agency, while Bo Schobel is a steal in the fourth round. Ben Troupe also makes a lot of sense at tight end with Frank Wycheck retiring and Steve McNair needing an option in the middle of the field. Randy Starks has lots of potential along the defensive line as well and Rich Gardner was an OK pick in the third round, and while Michael Waddell was a major reach in the fourth, Robert Reynolds was a solid late-round linebacker.

Washington Redskins: B
They did not have a lot of picks but still did a nice job. Sean Taylor was the best defensive player in the draft and will give the Redskins a safety who can neutralize Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey, whom they will see twice a year. Chris Cooley is a Clint Diddier-type tight end who should be a solid performer, so it was a good move to give up picks to get him. The late rounds brought some depth, making the most of limited selections.

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

For the first time in a long time I actually liked what the Jets did (although I thought they could have traded down in the first round), but apparently Mel didn't agree.

Also, after seeing the Falcons grade I now know for sure that VPI and Mel Kiper Jr are two different people.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
Craptacular
College Starter

Good to see Mel gave straight As to the Pack's division rivals. I totally agree with the grade for the Viqueens and Lions. The Bears had a good draft, but not an A in my book. Unfortunately, he's probably pretty accurate with the Pack's C+ grade. Still, the Packers had few holes to fill (DB, DL, and P), and they at least addressed them. I'm not sold on the specific guys, but we'll wait and see.

Last edited by Craptacular : 04-25-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
RendeR
Coordinator

First time in a long time the Bengals got an "A" grade for their draft. I'm pleasently anticipating a huge improvement on defense this year.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:22 PM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

I see teh Kevin Jones bandwagon is on full force still
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:24 PM   #6
Craptacular
College Starter

Just had to post this ... this is part of a transcript on the Packers' web site from a live chat with their director of college scouting on Thurs April 22:

"Looks like you may be in the market for a punter. I would be honored to play for the Green and Gold- BJ Sander Ohio St. - Posted by BJ of Columbus"

Looks like he got his wish.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:26 PM   #7
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Are you really going out on a limb to grade a draft when you give one C- as the lowest grade?

Last edited by kcchief19 : 04-25-2004 at 10:26 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:46 PM   #8
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Are you really going out on a limb to grade a draft when you give one C- as the lowest grade?

I would assume his grading system isn't a bell-curve, where there has to be so many F's and only so many A's.

The way the grades are listed above, I would think that he graded them based on the teams need and who they picked, not comparitively against how well the other teams did it.

Each team got graded agisnt themselves basically.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 10:51 PM   #9
Rich1033
High School Varsity

I really like what the Titans did, although I would be have prefered that they pick Trey Darilek or Nat Dorsey when they had the chance. Picking up Troupe in the second round was a steal and filled a major need.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:00 PM   #10
JeeberD
General Manager

I would have prefered Trey going to the Titans as well. I can't believe he's an friggin Eagle now...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:03 PM   #11
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I think carolina shoulda gotten a B. colbert was overshadowed by Mike williams, but hes a stud. and gamble, sure hes raw, but hell mike vick was raw when he came into the league.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:05 PM   #12
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19

The way all of the fans were talking during the draft here, I assume each team would either get an A or an F.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:13 PM   #13
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033
I really like what the Titans did, although I would be have prefered that they pick Trey Darilek or Nat Dorsey when they had the chance. Picking up Troupe in the second round was a steal and filled a major need.

As a long suffering Oilers/Titans fan since 1978, I thought this was the 2nd or third best draft in the last 25 years,possibly the best.I was very happy especially with the early and late picks.They selected five defensive linemen and 3 other defensive players.They also,got Tennessee Vol fullback Troy Fleming who at 6'2 227lbs. could be a dominic davis type guy for them.I liked the late round pick of 6'5 270 fullback out of penn state who might switch to TE.I heard Coach Fisher was pissed Albert "Fat Albert Haynesworth didn't show for minicamp and is 40 pounds overweight.So, I guess this perennial underachiever will have to start pulling his weight(no pun intended ) or get the hell out of town.RB's Eddie George and R.Holcombe's days in Nashville may be coming to a end.

Last edited by Galaril : 04-25-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:19 PM   #14
Tigercat
College Starter

Not only was his lowest grade a C-, but he gave the Saints a C, but he liked every one of their picks...? Mel is still mad at the Saints because he bought the Saints line last year that they would be trading up to get a CB, and then the Saints pass D improves without drafting a CB, Mel isn't too happy about that.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:29 PM   #15
SFL Cat
College Starter

I was amazed that the Cowboys passed on Steven Jackson and traded down. Running back was definitely a glaring weakness for the team last year. I'd probably agree Kiper's grade.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:45 PM   #16
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I'm still unclear as why Cincinnati isn't receiving more criticism for drafting a running back in the first round. It seems they still have enough other areas that need to be addressed and a decent young starter in Rudi Johnson.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:48 PM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Personally I loved the Falcons draft. The only thing I'd have done differently was to pick Woods instead of Jenkins.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:29 AM   #18
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

How do the Bengals rate a bloody 'A'? We reach on not one, not two, not three, but FOUR picks in the first day, and we get an 'A'?

Must have had the best 2nd day of all-time. Tom Brady(6th), Mike Anderson(6th), and Bo Jackson(7th) all combined maybe?
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:43 AM   #19
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
I heard Coach Fisher was pissed Albert "Fat Albert Haynesworth didn't show for minicamp and is 40 pounds overweight.So, I guess this perennial underachiever will have to start pulling his weight(no pun intended ) or get the hell out of town.RB's Eddie George and R.Holcombe's days in Nashville may be coming to a end.

Im cant say Im suprised that Haynesworth showed up so overweight. Hopefully somebody will knock some sense into him soon so he has a chance to live up to his potential. As for Eddie, well I love him, but as soon as he signed that last contract I knew we would be in trouble. The Titans will be much better off once that salary if off the books.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:04 AM   #20
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

These grades are a big useless exercise in kissing ass.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:34 AM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Maybe this could be the year that I actually learn to hate the Bengals? I despise the Ravens and Browns, cause I like the Steelers, but have always been pretty indifferent on Cincy. I guess thats cause for the most part of my lifetime, they have been irrelevant.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:23 AM   #22
FBPro
College Starter

I liked what both the Falcons and the Titans did, both made some good decisions and had a few "breaks" go their way for once.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:41 AM   #23
Subby
lolzcat

The Redskins getting Sean Taylor, Clinton Portis, and Mark Brunnell with their first three picks was HUGE.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:03 AM   #24
Butter
Coordinator

The Bengals seemed like they didn't like any of the corners or DT's that were there in the first round, so they traded down and tried to pick up athletes who could develop in the later rounds. I especially like the Stacy Andrews and Greg Brooks picks. I liked what they did overall, but would have preferred that they picked someone else in the first round as well.

I mean, Perry's a WOLVERINE for God's sake.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:06 AM   #25
bhlloy
Coordinator

Wow... I disagree strongly with about half of his analysis. I guess that's why he's the expert and I'm not but still.

Cincinatti an A after drafting the 3rd RB still on the board in the 1st round with many more glaring needs and then reaching on every single pick after that? Let's hope he knows something good about those players.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:38 AM   #26
Thomkal
Head Coach

I have to disagree with Big Mel and his hair on my beloved Cards grade. Yes yes Fitzgerald is a nice story and all, and will probably go on to have a good rookie season, but a WR was a stupid choice in the first round regardless of the personal connection. And then to not draft secondary help at all when its probably your biggest need, and waiting to take a QB until the 7th round?

I give them a C-/D+ personally.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:41 AM   #27
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033
Im cant say Im suprised that Haynesworth showed up so overweight. Hopefully somebody will knock some sense into him soon so he has a chance to live up to his potential. As for Eddie, well I love him, but as soon as he signed that last contract I knew we would be in trouble. The Titans will be much better off once that salary if off the books.

I agree love eddie especially last year in the playoffs against the Ravens when he slammed Ray-Ray Lewis TO THE TURF but he has little chance of beibg a Titan this year .The question I have would anyone be intereted in him. He's only 30 years old maybe behoind adiiferent line and with a true fullback he could still be a factor.I don't know if his legs are burned out yet.I hate to find out with him in a differnet uniform on.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:51 AM   #28
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche
I'm still unclear as why Cincinnati isn't receiving more criticism for drafting a running back in the first round. It seems they still have enough other areas that need to be addressed and a decent young starter in Rudi Johnson.

Mainly because the other needs probably didn't have any players warranting that pick on the board. The first round DT's and CB's were gone.

As for why a RB? A few reasons really. Rudi is promising but has never carried the ball for an entire season. Rudi has not yet signed the tender offer. He has no choice, really, but in the end, it's no given that Rudi's here for more than one year. After Rudi, the Bengals RB's are retreads Kenny Watson and Skip Hicks. What happens if Rudi gets hurt? RB's tend to injure more than most positions.

Perry fills a need that most didn't see but was still there-a versatile RB. There were really no tailbacks on the roster who could do anything-run inside or out, block, and catch the ball-all at an adequate level. A RB that can block as catch can be a nice safety net to a young QB that will have to take some lumps. This was a pick to protect Carson Palmer, which apparently was a bigger need than some thought.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:53 AM   #29
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Oh, and ESPN reported after the pick that the Titans were going to take Perry on the next pick, so I'm not sure he's the reach everyone thought he was.

As for the Ratliff "reach" in round two-the Cincinnati Enquirer reported this morning that the Eagles were trying to trade up with the Bengals to take Ratliff, but the Bengals stayed and took him themselves. But, what do Marvin Lewis, Leslie Frasier and Joe Johnson know about defensive backs? They should just consult the Sporting News for now on!
Old 04-26-2004, 08:55 AM   #30
QuikSand
lolzcat

It's fascinating to me how the draft is, in a weird sense, almost a sport unto itself. The day or two after the draft we talk about winners and losers ... it's like it was the Daytona 500 where it's all been resolved permanently by Monday morning.

I guess this is a bit like that mentality of big college football/basketball fans, who sometimes seem to consider the recruiting wars as a sport unto themselves.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:57 AM   #31
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Kickstand nailed it. This all means nothing if the players don't show up, work hard, improve over the years and receive the coaching needed to make them winners.

I wonder if NFL coaches and executives laugh at the way fans view the draft.

That said, I'm still a draft geek and I enjoy the "sport" of it very much.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:01 AM   #32
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
It's fascinating to me how the draft is, in a weird sense, almost a sport unto itself. The day or two after the draft we talk about winners and losers ... it's like it was the Daytona 500 where it's all been resolved permanently by Monday morning.

I guess this is a bit like that mentality of big college football/basketball fans, who sometimes seem to consider the recruiting wars as a sport unto themselves.

While I know most see it that way, I don't. Honestly, Kiper's grade is no more definite than someone's movie review.

I think sometimes it is fairly easy to see if a team has done really bad (if they completely ignore areas of major need), but it's tough to know if they ever did really good.

Still, Kiper is an independent, professional scout - so I think his opinion is genuinely interesting. Anyone thinking he couldn't work for a number of NFL teams is kidding themselves.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:02 AM   #33
Thomkal
Head Coach

It's a shame MLB hasn't picked up on how much interest there would be in a televised baseball draft. The NFL draft certainly increases my interest, knowledge, and excitement of football as a whole, and baseball could surely use that right about now.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:02 AM   #34
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper

I wonder if NFL coaches and executives laugh at the way fans view the draft.
I highly doubt it. When the right first round choice can result in a major increase in season-ticket sales, I can guarantee you the owners care at the very least. Perception becomes reality.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 04-26-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:07 AM   #35
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
It's a shame MLB hasn't picked up on how much interest there would be in a televised baseball draft. The NFL draft certainly increases my interest, knowledge, and excitement of football as a whole, and baseball could surely use that right about now.

Televising the baseball draft would only cater to baseball enthusiasts. Hardcore baseball enthusiasts. The kinds being drafted are coming out of highschool and may have played some college ball. This is similar to basketball, yes, but there are two main distinctions. First, college baseball isn't that big of a sport (save some small pockets). Second, the time gap (on average) between the draft and when these players are making an impact is pretty wide. Lessens the excitement for the casual fan.

ESPN 2 has televised the NHL draft. I think I saw it once or twice, back before I worked and a weekend afternoon wasn't all that different from a weekday afternoon. Now, I doubt i could be bothered. (This is also likely due to the fact that the Wings have had all of like one first round pick in the last ten years.)
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:16 AM   #36
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

The main reason that the NFL and NBA drafts have much more fanfare than the MLB (or NHL, for that matter) draft, is that fans see the fruits of one year's draft the next season in the NFL and NBA. There is no minor league training for the top picks in the NBA and NFL - they will make the team and usually play (and sometimes even contribute ) right away.

That doesn't happen in baseball. First, MLB has its draft mid-season, meaning even the most "pro ready" guys won't contribute, if at all, until the end of the season. If you're lucky, a guy like Mark Prior will get a call up, but with holdouts, getting acclimated to pro ball (aluminum bat issues), etc., that's rare. A LeBron James equivalent likely needs to spend a year or two in the minors before getting a shot at the bigs.

Also, there's no trading of draft picks, which cuts down on the excitement on draft day.

Finally, the pool of players being picked from consists of high school and college players very few people have heard of. College baseball has a far, far smaller following than football and basketball. And who follows, on a national level, high school baseball? There's not much personal investment in the players being chosen in the MLB draft, in terms of watching for "one of your guys" to be picked.

All of that, and I can't blame MLB for not capitalizing on the draft like the NFL and NBA do. Sure, they could do some things better, but it'll never be the draw that it is in those other sports.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-26-2004 at 09:17 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:55 AM   #37
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have to disagree with Big Mel and his hair on my beloved Cards grade. Yes yes Fitzgerald is a nice story and all, and will probably go on to have a good rookie season, but a WR was a stupid choice in the first round regardless of the personal connection. And then to not draft secondary help at all when its probably your biggest need, and waiting to take a QB until the 7th round?

I give them a C-/D+ personally.

If I were the Cardinals, I would have taken Winslow. Gives you that extra target, improves your protection significantly, able to be used a lot in scheming, and gives Arizona a bit of an attitude. They need a swagger and Winslow would help to provide that, as well. So, for all of those reasons, I would have taken Winslow.

I would not have taken him if I were just about any other team, however.

Note that Reggie Williams is just about as cocky as Kellen Winslow, but he turns it to the field, so nobody seems to care.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:57 AM   #38
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Still, Kiper is an independent, professional scout - so I think his opinion is genuinely interesting. Anyone thinking he couldn't work for a number of NFL teams is kidding themselves.

Well, they all buy his most expensive pre-draft package (perhaps it is all but a few) so in a sense, he is a professional scout from all teams.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:00 AM   #39
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I highly doubt it. When the right first round choice can result in a major increase in season-ticket sales, I can guarantee you the owners care at the very least. Perception becomes reality.

Money is the driving factor, so you are right.

I didn't mean so much the fervor with which fans follow the draft, I was alluding more toward the judgements fans pass on what teams are trying to do in the draft. I mean, do any of us really see the big picture plans that coaches are trying to implement? Do any of us know the roster as well as the coaches?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:25 AM   #40
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Money is the driving factor, so you are right.

I didn't mean so much the fervor with which fans follow the draft, I was alluding more toward the judgements fans pass on what teams are trying to do in the draft. I mean, do any of us really see the big picture plans that coaches are trying to implement? Do any of us know the roster as well as the coaches?

No, you're right that we can't possibly know the roster as well as coaches and GM's. But they definitely do care what the perception of the draft is.

Half-wit Jet's GM Terry Bradway admitted that the trade up for DeWayne Robertson was in part to energize an organizaion that had a terrible offseason. While that's an incredibly stupid thing to do, it tells us that the perception of the team materially affects the decisions they make - at least in this case. I'd imagine a number of teams had been pushed towards decisions they wouldn't necessarily have made if there wasn't such a clamor to do so (the Eagles this offseason, for instance).
Old 04-26-2004, 10:26 AM   #41
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Well, they all buy his most expensive pre-draft package (perhaps it is all but a few) so in a sense, he is a professional scout from all teams.

are we talking about his commercially available stuff, or does he sell teams some special super in-depth report package?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:26 AM   #42
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
No, you're right that we can't possibly know the roster as well as coaches and GM's. But they definitely do care what the perception of the draft is.

Half-wit Jet's GM Terry Bradway admitted that the trade up for DeWayne Robertson was in part to energize an organizaion that had a terrible offseason. While that's an incredibly stupid thing to do, it tells us that the perception of the team materially affects the decisions they make - at least in this case. I'd imagine a number of teams had been pushed towards decisions they wouldn't necessarily have made if there wasn't such a clamor to do so (the Eagles this offseason, for instance).

I'm sure there was some of that same thinking involved in the Giants' selling the farm for Manning as well.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:28 AM   #43
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I'm sure there was some of that same thinking involved in the Giants' selling the farm for Manning as well.

I agree. I think if he didn't have the brand-name recognition, there's no way they make that trade. They may in fact believe he's going to be an elite QB, but i think the Manning name helped them convince themselves that they should make the move.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:29 AM   #44
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I mean, do any of us really see the big picture plans that coaches are trying to implement? Do any of us know the roster as well as the coaches?

No, but as fans, we have both our own views on the roster, and on what the big picture plan should be. All in all, this is a good thing for the NFL, as it means fans are really into it, which translates to ticket sales, ratings, etc., all good things for the bottom line. It is not necesarily a good thing for the coaches/GMs, since when fan dissatisfaction translates to a loss of revenue, they are forced somewhat to respond to the fans, rather than relying completely upon their football judgement.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:33 AM   #45
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

You realize all Kiper does is the legwork, getting his info from numerous actual scouting departments and independent scout gurus such as Gil Brandt. His 80% accuracy is the 80% accuracy of all the sources he never credits.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:36 AM   #46
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog Purple
You realize all Kiper does is the legwork, getting his info from numerous actual scouting departments and independent scout gurus such as Gil Brandt. His 80% accuracy is the 80% accuracy of all the sources he never credits.

And Bill Gates is the planet's richest man for this tactic. Viva America!
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:38 AM   #47
Sublime
High School JV

Not sure what anyone else thinks about the Pats draft, but I have to agree w/ Mel here. A B+ is probably the same grade I would have given them. They took BPA w/ there 21st pick in Vince Wilfork. BB had to be ecstatic when he fell to them. This probably means the eventual cut of Traylor though.

A lot of fans have to be a little confused about the Watson pick at #32. They just drafted Graham a couple of years ago, and despite having the dropsies late last season, he has been improving. What it does give the Pats is a nice 2 TE set up, especially with all the short passing they do. Marquisse Hill, the LSU DE, probably would have been a first rounder next year but decided to come out this year. He adds even more depth to the D-Line and definite pass rushing ability.

The back to back safety picks in rounds 3 and 4 i think make sense for the Pats, but may have been picked earlier than they could have. If Law decides not to come back they can move Eugene Wilson back to his home at CB and now have some options at S. I love the Cedric Cobbs pick in round 4. I think in a few years when Dillon starts on his downslide Cobbs can become the feature back. P.K. Sam is another guy who I think would have been drafted much higher next year. He's the tall possesion type receiver the Pats have been looking for for the past few seasons. Don't really know much about the Illinois CB they drafted.

The one problem I have w/ the Pats draft is they didn't address some glaring holes on the O-line. They're going to have to bring in some FA O-linemen, b/c of the holes Compton and Woody left. I think that was probably the only downside I saw in this draft, I think they could have picked up one of those S, and then reached on a O-lineman with the other pick.

It's hard to doubt Belichek and Pioli's drafting with their past, so I think that's why it's easier to not be upset about some of the "reaches."
Old 04-26-2004, 10:39 AM   #48
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
And Bill Gates is the planet's richest man for this tactic. Viva America!

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just calling a spade a spade is all.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:42 AM   #49
tucker342
Pro Starter

This weeks sign of the apocalypse(sp?): Cardinals have an A rated draft
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:43 AM   #50
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker342
This weeks sign of the apocalypse(sp?): Cardinals have an A rated draft

Cardinals and Bengals.