Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2004, 10:40 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Eli Manning doesn't want to go to San Diego

ESPN is reporting that his Dad and agent contacted the Chargers, hoping they'd keep it quiet. But they're blowing up Eli's spot, probably hoping to get more from the Giants.

I can't see them drafting him and having him play there, when its obvious not only that he doesn't want to be there, but that they could still get a good quarterback of the future, plus more which would help them more.

THoughts?

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:58 PM   #2
Bad-example
College Starter

Call him Elway Manning
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:01 PM   #3
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yep, I thought the same thing. Considering how awful the Colts were at the time I probably should be more understanding, but I still hold a grudge against Elway for refusing to be picked by the Colts.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:22 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What's all this 'refusal' crap going on? He's about to make a boatload of money, isn't that enough? I hate it when a professional sports player refuses to sign with a team after he's been drafted (yes, JD Drew). Must be nice to make millions of $$$$ AND get to work where you want to.

Only in America!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:50 PM   #5
Taur
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
What's all this 'refusal' crap going on? He's about to make a boatload of money, isn't that enough? I hate it when a professional sports player refuses to sign with a team after he's been drafted (yes, JD Drew). Must be nice to make millions of $$$$ AND get to work where you want to.

Only in America!
So you prefer the A-Rods with their take the money and screw the fans type of attitude?

Actually, yes only in America can a person have the freedom to decide where they live and where they work. I live and work in Colorado, where I spend most of my off time Skiing and Kayaking. If my boss would show up tomorrow and inform me that I had been transferred to the Death Valley branch I would tell him where he could stick his transfer papers.

So, yes Only in America! can we enjoy the freedom of living and working where we choose!
Old 04-21-2004, 11:50 PM   #6
Daimyo
College Starter

I guess he's not as much like his older brother as I hoped...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:53 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

Oh God damn it Ernie Acoursi, take the fucking stud lineman! Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to have an aneurysm thanks to this guy this weekend?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:59 PM   #8
Hurst2112
College Starter

Here we go with another draftee refusing to go where he is told. Sounds like another thread we have here.

What is strange is that the teams and players seem to work things out in the end. It really doesn't harm anybody (cept the fans) because if SD really did draft him, they can use him to trade for equal talent or compensation (in theory).

What I don't like is the attitude of players and their advice men in situations like these.

Has there been anybody like this in the past that didn't go to a team and that team won a super bowl before the player and his new team did? Can't think of any, but it would be just desserts if it happened in this case.

Oh yeah, we're talking about the Chargers and a Manning. Nevermind.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:34 AM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

On ESPN Radio they were talking about how they think it could be because "Archie played for a flailing franchise and he know's first hand how bad it can be. He doesn't want the same thing for his son."

Excuse me? Weren't the Colts a flailing franchise when Peyton got drafted by them? They might not had been as bad as the 'Aints, but they were at least as bad as the Chargers have been the past few years.

Shit like this just pisses me off...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:15 AM   #10
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Yep, I thought the same thing. Considering how awful the Colts were at the time I probably should be more understanding, but I still hold a grudge against Elway for refusing to be picked by the Colts.
The question that'll never be answered: If Elway smiles and decides to be the cornerstone of the Baltimore Colts, does that slimy weasel Irsay pack up the vans in the middle of the night? I know it's been 21 years, but Indy Colts still don't sound right. Neither does Ballamoe Ravens. (Isn't a raven a bird that feeds off of dead, decaying animals? Hey, The Indianapolis Ravens. It fits the Irsay name very well...)
Old 04-22-2004, 02:18 AM   #11
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taur
So you prefer the A-Rods with their take the money and screw the fans type of attitude?

Actually, yes only in America can a person have the freedom to decide where they live and where they work. I live and work in Colorado, where I spend most of my off time Skiing and Kayaking. If my boss would show up tomorrow and inform me that I had been transferred to the Death Valley branch I would tell him where he could stick his transfer papers.

So, yes Only in America! can we enjoy the freedom of living and working where we choose!
If he told you that you would get a $15 million moving bonus and a salary in the $10 mil range you'd be thinking "Well, it is warm there and I'll have a nice tan..." (Not to mention that it's only half the year)
Old 04-22-2004, 04:24 AM   #12
bhlloy
Coordinator

Funny thing is, with a decent QB and Ladanian Tomlinson the Chargers could be a very good team in a couple of years. I'd rather go there than the Giants, who have an above average QB and still sucked last year. At least the Chargers realise you need an offensive line to play football and a QB plays better when he doesn't have to pick his teeth up from the turf every other play.

Archie should stop bitching and realise that the fact that he's going to go at the top of the first round means HE'S NOT GOING TO GO TO A GOOD TEAM.
That's the point of the draft to make the bad teams better. Idiot.

Send him to the Cardinals and let him learn the real definition of bush league franchise.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:40 AM   #13
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I think this may all play into the Chargers hands anyway. From several articles I've read recently, they'd be just as happy with Rivers as with Manning anyway, so if they can pull off the heavily-rumored deal with the Giants, it would work out pretty well for them.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:49 AM   #14
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
I think this may all play into the Chargers hands anyway. From several articles I've read recently, they'd be just as happy with Rivers as with Manning anyway, so if they can pull off the heavily-rumored deal with the Giants, it would work out pretty well for them.

yes and no. In one way its good because it will let them off the hook if they trade down (no one will be able to fault them for not taking Manning).

It's bad in the way that they might lose a lot of bargaining leverage. The Giants can pretty much dare the Chargers to take Manning. If they do, they can probably land Gallery. If the Chargers don't take Manning - he'll probably fall to them at #4.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:57 AM   #15
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
yes and no. In one way its good because it will let them off the hook if they trade down (no one will be able to fault them for not taking Manning).

It's bad in the way that they might lose a lot of bargaining leverage. The Giants can pretty much dare the Chargers to take Manning. If they do, they can probably land Gallery. If the Chargers don't take Manning - he'll probably fall to them at #4.

Don't you think the Raiders are likely to pick Gallery, then ?
Old 04-22-2004, 06:01 AM   #16
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't think Gallery or Manning falls past the Raiders (Manning would be a great Al Davis high profile pick and they are interested in Gallery), so I'm not sure this helps the Giants too much. And if the Raiders take Fitzgerald instead that leaves Arizona taking Manning/Gallery.
Seems the first 3 picks are pretty set (in one order or another) and the Giants still have to get up to number 2 to get one of the two players they want.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:20 AM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
If he told you that you would get a $15 million moving bonus and a salary in the $10 mil range you'd be thinking "Well, it is warm there and I'll have a nice tan..." (Not to mention that it's only half the year)

Exactly!

We're not talking about my piddly salary, so YES I choose where I live and work. If I just got out of technical school and say, a company in New York drafted me, giving me a 15mil signing bonus... New York here I come.

That's the friggin rules, you go in the draft, you get drafted, shut your hole and play your ass off.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:27 AM   #18
Samdari
Roster Filler

I think everyone is being a bit hard on Eli here. So far, there are no reports of him saying anything, its all been attributed to his father. Also, don't confuse expressing a preference with a flat out refusal to play. Bottom line, if Eli gets drafted by San Diego, he'll show up and play.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:30 AM   #19
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

So, if you get paid millions of dollars, you should not get to have any say about where you work and who you work for?
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:42 AM   #20
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
I think everyone is being a bit hard on Eli here. So far, there are no reports of him saying anything, its all been attributed to his father. Also, don't confuse expressing a preference with a flat out refusal to play. Bottom line, if Eli gets drafted by San Diego, he'll show up and play.

Just because his last name is Manning does not mean he does not deserve to get his ass ripped for this one. There are no reports of him not saying anything either. And despite the fact that the "genius" Denny Green is coaching in Arizona, I am sure that there is a preference for other players not to go there. Eli Manning, IMO, is looking like a spoiled brat who does not even have the guts to stand on his own two feet. He has his daddy speaking for him. Tags is trying to placate everybody. Archie Manning is meeting with Scottenheimer??!! What is this? The NFL or Pop Warner. Maybe Eli should join Clarett in the Arena League
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:43 AM   #21
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
There are no reports of him not saying anything either.

So, whenever a potential draftee is silent, the media is supposed to report it?
Old 04-22-2004, 07:48 AM   #22
Francis_Cole
SI Games

He's about to make a boatload of money

Maybe he doesn't think money isn't everything? Seems sensible to me
Old 04-22-2004, 07:53 AM   #23
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
So, whenever a potential draftee is silent, the media is supposed to report it?

No meaning that if Eli was not in agreement with what Papa Archie is pulling, he would say so
Old 04-22-2004, 07:55 AM   #24
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
So, if you get paid millions of dollars, you should not get to have any say about where you work and who you work for?
Not if your are drafted by the NFL, no.

If you want to forego your NFL career and be a roofer or something, then go for it.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:56 AM   #25
oykib
College Starter

If you were a talented QB, would you want to play for Marty Schottenheimer?
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:58 AM   #26
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
No meaning that if Eli was not in agreement with what Papa Archie is pulling, he would say so

Why would he? You say that like it is automatic. I care far more about what my father thinks of me than the general public, so in this case, I would not make a statement distancing myself from my father.

I just really do not understand what the problem is with asking to have some say in where you work. I don't see why people are having such a problem distinguishing between requesting and demanding. They are quite different.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:59 AM   #27
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Not if your are drafted by the NFL, no.

If you want to forego your NFL career and be a roofer or something, then go for it.

That's the chance the Chargers can take then, right? Draft him and see if he will play for them. NFL rules say that teams can draft you and get exlusive rights to you. That's fine. You also have the right to sign with them or not. Nothing wrong with that. It's called freedom, and we have that freedom here. NFL rules do not say that you MUST sign a contract when a team uses a draft pick on you.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:00 AM   #28
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
If you were a talented QB, would you want to play for Marty Schottenheimer?

Well he did so much for uh...uh....uh
Old 04-22-2004, 08:07 AM   #29
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Why would he? You say that like it is automatic. I care far more about what my father thinks of me than the general public, so in this case, I would not make a statement distancing myself from my father.

I just really do not understand what the problem is with asking to have some say in where you work. I don't see why people are having such a problem distinguishing between requesting and demanding. They are quite different.

You mean like T.O. requesting to not be traded to Ravens
Old 04-22-2004, 08:18 AM   #30
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek

In sports, no. You go where you are drafted, shut the hell up, and play a game for a living. Seems like a small price to pay, and I don't feel bad for any of them.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 04-22-2004 at 08:19 AM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:22 AM   #31
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Because it's not "asking" where to go, it's leveraging in a draft system. It's saying "I'm going to be a problem for you if you draft me." So San Diego suddenly has lost some leverage in its trade negotiations for the #1 pick, and it has to reassess its draft strategy for what may be a franchise-altering pick.

Edit: typo

Last edited by WSUCougar : 04-22-2004 at 08:22 AM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:30 AM   #32
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Because it's not "asking" where to go, it's leveraging in a draft system. It's saying "I'm going to be a problem for you if you draft me." So San Diego suddenly has lost some leverage in its trade negotiations for the #1 pick, and it has to reassess its draft strategy for what may be a franchise-altering pick.

Normally, I would agree with that. But the only reason we are discussing this on this board is because the Chargers told the media. Why would they do that if it was going to hurt them? Were they looking to wimp out anyway (by being afraid to take a QB #1) and now they have someone to publicly blame?

The Mannings did not play this for leverage - to do that they would have had been screaming to the press for months that Eli was not going to play for them. Instead, they kept it private and the Chargers - ostensibly the party that is hurt by this being so public - told the whole world.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:32 AM   #33
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar

Edit: typo

DING DING DING, We HAVE a winner!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:36 AM   #34
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

LT needs to get out of that disaster of a franchise.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:40 AM   #35
oykib
College Starter

F--- the Chargers. I say more power to the draftees. They have one piece of leverage. Why shouldn't they use it?

It's up to the team and the league to call the player's bluff. If they can't, then he wins and gets everything he wants.

I love how sports fans are always determining what's enough for someone else...
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:45 AM   #36
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
I love how sports fans are always determining what's enough for someone else...

It seems to be jealousy.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:46 AM   #37
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

1. Samdari hit it on the head - I think it's being overblown, and we haven't anything about a "refusal" to play for San Diego - just a preference.
2. I don't know if anyone will be playing for Schottenheimer after this year.
3. I haven't heard too much on the Raiders taking Gallery, so I do not think they'd do it if Manning goes #1 overall. I still think they take Roy Williams if that happens. The Giants would probably need to trade up to 3 then, or someone else will.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:58 AM   #38
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Here is the article so that folks can judge the semantics of "requests and demands" for themselves.

Quote:
The Chargers have the top pick in the draft. Ole Miss quarterback Eli Manning is projected, by most accounts, as the top player available.

One problem -- Manning does not want to play for San Diego. He'd rather be in New York with the Giants, who have the fourth pick.

Manning's agent, Tom Condon, informed the Chargers that Archie Manning does not want his son to be drafted by the team. Chargers general manager A.J. Smith confirmed the news Wednesday night, a day after the elder Manning visited team officials at the Chargers training complex.

"Tom Condon informed us about the wishes of Archie Manning in regards to his son, Eli," Smith told ESPN.com's John Clayton. "We had a good visit with Archie and we told him we may be selecting his son with the first pick in the draft. Tom told us Archie's wishes are that we not do that and that New York would be a good fit."

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Condon informed the Chargers about the Mannings' feelings last week prior to Archie's visit. After hearing of the news, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue contacted the elder Manning and asked him to meet with Chargers president Dean Spanos.

Spanos, according to Mortensen, met with Archie Manning and asked him to visit with Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer. But despite the visit this week, the former NFL quarterback remains convinced that San Diego is not a good fit for Eli -- although the Manning family did not want their feelings to be made public, according to Mortensen.

Archie Manning, reached Wednesday night by the New York Daily News, said he was aware that the Chargers had decided to discuss the matter publicly.

"My understanding is the Chargers have said that. I'm not going to comment on it tonight," Manning told the newspaper. "I've got to huddle with Eli and Tom and see where we are on this thing. The only thing I'll say is I never talked to the Chargers about the Giants. I was asked to come to San Diego and see them."

Will the Mannings' stance affect the Chargers' thinking going into the draft? Smith would not guarantee Condon that the team would grant Archie Manning's request.

"We told them we will do what will be in the best interest of the San Diego Chargers," Smith told Clayton.

Earlier this month, Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi called the Chargers to express an interest in trading up from the No. 4 pick to No. 1 in order to select the younger Manning.

A third team entered the bidding Wednesday for the first pick when the Browns called. Cleveland wants to move up and pick left tackle Robert Gallery of Iowa.

The Chargers face some interesting decisions. Do they trade the pick to the Giants, allowing them to take Manning and giving the impression that the player was dictating the draft? If they take Gallery or another player -- or if they trade with a team such as the Browns that wouldn't select Manning -- they would be giving Manning to their division rival, the Oakland Raiders.

"We haven't decided what we are going to do," Smith said. "We could stay there and pick. It could be Eli. It could be someone else. We will do what we think is best. For now, we are staying where we are and then see what develops over the next couple of days."

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that Archie Manning has been doing background checks on the Chargers this month. The newspaper reported that Manning's actions aren't unusual -- he looked into various colleges before both Eli and Colts quarterback Peyton Manning went to school.

The elder Manning then met with team officials this week.

"It was an opportunity to just sit down and just visit," Schottenheimer told the Union-Tribune. "He came in around the late afternoon and left first thing this morning. I don't know that there was any quizzing going on. He wanted to visit with us, and we wanted to visit with him."

Archie Manning may fear that Eli will fall into the same situation that Archie suffered while quarterback of the downtrodden Saints in the 1970s. He played in the NFL for 14 years, 11 of them with the Saints, without ever making the playoffs.

The Chargers have not had a winning season since 1995 and have only four winning seasons in the past 20 years.

While quarterback and a tackle are high on the Chargers' list, they have several other desperate needs. Trading down would allow them to stockpile picks and possibly players, as well as avoid paying a hefty signing bonus that a top pick would command.

"I know [the Chargers] have a lot of different options," Condon recently said.

Condon also represents Peyton Manning, who was selected by the Indianapolis Colts with the first pick in the 1998 draft. Condon said the Colts didn't decide until the night before that draft that they would take Manning, leaving the Chargers to take Ryan Leaf.

Leaf cost the Chargers an $11.25 million signing bonus and turned out to be one of the biggest busts in NFL history.

Four years ago, the Chargers traded the draft's top pick to Atlanta for the fifth pick, receiver-returner Tim Dwight and additional picks. The Falcons took Michael Vick and the Chargers got LaDainian Tomlinson. San Diego is 17-31 since that trade.

"I could care less about the Ryan Leaf decision," Smith told Clayton. "I've heard it so many times that we can't take a quarterback because of what happened in the past. Whether we decide to take a quarterback or not has nothing to do with Ryan Leaf. I didn't take this job with the idea that we can't do something that might help the team."

Despite the feelings expressed by the Manning family, the Chargers may see Eli as the only hope to resurrect the franchise. Manning's stature entering the NFL is very high.

"I think you're probably pretty safe picking Eli Manning," Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren told the Indianapolis Star.

To me, it doesn't matter if it's a perfumed envelope message requesting to not play for a team or a horses head in Spanos' bed. He (Archie)is making requests that he really shouldn't have a right to make.

If Archie wants to choose the team his son plays for, have him skip the draft and become a free agent. Then he can choose his team with no problem. If it isn't about the money, this shouldn't be a problem for him.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 04-22-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:02 AM   #39
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
I guess he's not as much like his older brother as I hoped...

Didnt peyton stay his senior year in college because the Jets were going to draft him if he left early?

I saw an interviewwith Eli were he was asked what the first thing he would buy would be. Didnt sound like a guy who had a hard time paying his bills. Plus i mean its thursday and this dipshits in san diego dont even know what the hell they are going to do. I mean if i was Eli and saw that san diego werent sure about drafting me when im considered by most the no 1 QB in the draft when drew brees is their QB. I wouldnt want to play for them either.
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:02 AM   #40
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
If Archie wants to choose the team his son plays for, have him skip the draft and become a free agent.

He doesn't have that right - noone does. If they did, just about every top prospect would do so.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:03 AM   #41
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
He doesn't have that right - noone does. If they did, just about every top prospect would do so.

He could just refuse to sign for two years, then he'd be free to choose his team for the 2006 season.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:05 AM   #42
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

He could go play baseball or something. Like Henson, or Hutchinson. It worked out for them didn't it? Oh wait...
Old 04-22-2004, 09:07 AM   #43
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofquarrel
Didnt peyton stay his senior year in college because the Jets were going to draft him if he left early?

Correct. It was very largely reported that Peyton decided to go back because Parcells would not guarantee him the Jets would take him #1 overall. Kind of the reverse of the situation we see right now.

Quote:
I saw an interviewwith Eli were he was asked what the first thing he would buy would be. Didnt sound like a guy who had a hard time paying his bills. Plus i mean its thursday and this dipshits in san diego dont even know what the hell they are going to do. I mean if i was Eli and saw that san diego werent sure about drafting me when im considered by most the no 1 QB in the draft when drew brees is their QB. I wouldnt want to play for them either.

I can understand not wanting to play there.
  • Bad coaching situation. Either Schottenheimer gets fired after this season - or worse, he hangs around and Eli gets to hand off 500 times a year while passing 200 until the end of the Schottenheimer regime. Look at the QB stats for starters under Marty, it ain't pretty.
  • The team is in a stadium/possible relocation distraction. Everyone knows they're possibly moving to L.A. in a few years. Maybe he doesn't want to be part of that.
  • The Chargers just suck. They're still at least 2 years from the playoffs.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:09 AM   #44
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

This is probably all Archie needed to see before making his remarks:

Marty Schottenheimer's Career Record
YearTeamWLTStarting QBComp.Att.YardsTDINT
1984 *Cle.440Paul McDonald2714933,4721423
1985Cle.880Bernie Kosar1242481,57887
1986Cle.1240Bernie Kosar3105313,8541710
1987Cle.1050Bernie Kosar2413893,033229
1988Cle.1060Bernie Kosar1562591,890107
1989K.C.871Steve DeBerg1963242,5291116
1990K.C.1150Steve DeBerg2584443,444234
1991K.C.1060Steve DeBerg2564342,9651714
1992K.C.1060Dave Kreig2304133,1151512
1993K.C.1150Joe Montana1812982,144137
1994K.C.970Joe Montana2994933,283169
1995K.C.1330Steve Bono2935203,1212110
1996K.C.970Steve Bono2354382,5721213
1997K.C.1330Elvis Grbac1793141,943116
1998K.C.790Rich Gannon2063542,305106
2001Was.880Tony Banks1983702,3861010
2002S.D.880Drew Brees3205263,2841716
2003S.D.4120Drew Brees2053562,1081115
Totals 1651131
* -- Replaced Sam Rutigliano after eight games.

Old 04-22-2004, 09:18 AM   #45
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Wow, Steve DeBerg had a nice year in 90.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:23 AM   #46
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Probably nitpicking and possibly influenced by my dislike of Owens but I find this to be a different situation than Owens' situation. Owens was under contract with the 49ers. He was already being paid by them. In my opinion, with his John Hancock already on that contract, he's SOL. On the other hand, Manning hasn't signed with the Chargers and doesn't owe them anything. Being selected merely gives the Chargers the exclusive right to negotiate with him.

On the other hand, it still annoys me that they did that. Sounds really illogical, I know. Oh, the other thing that bugs me as well is that they made it public. That really screws the Chargers over as far as what leverage they might have in negotiating with other teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
What I don't like is the attitude of players and their advice men in situations like these.
That's my big thing. I dislike these "advice" people in this situation, filling players' ears with their own crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Has there been anybody like this in the past that didn't go to a team and that team won a super bowl before the player and his new team did? Can't think of any, but it would be just desserts if it happened in this case.
Wrong sport but the one that always stuck in my mind was Todd Van Poppel letting it be known that he would not sign with the Braves if drafted. So they settled for a local shortstop name Larry Wayne Jones.

Unless you want to count Bo.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:24 AM   #47
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

And was K.C. bound to use only ex-49er QB's for a while there? It seems so crazy in retrospect.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:27 AM   #48
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Cush: "I'll either surf or ski. I'll either surf or ski."
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:29 AM   #49
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
...Wrong sport but the one that always stuck in my mind was Todd Van Poppel letting it be known that he would not sign with the Braves if drafted. So they settled for a local shortstop name Larry Wayne Jones.

I love that story. One of the few where the Atlanta team came out on top.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:42 AM   #50
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Manning does not need the money in the way that a lot of top draftees do. He comes from a family of millionaires. In that sense, he has a bit more leverage than a guy whose single mother is on public assistance.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote