Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
ahbrady
High School JV

FBCB Question on Conference Movement

I have my conference movement set to limited. I'm on my 6th year, and I've moved my prestige with Lipscomb from 1 up to 38. I started with them because I wanted to start with an independent and move up through the conferences. I'm not complaining, and I don't think that I necessarily should have been invited yet. I was just wondering what other people's experiences have been, and how much longer will it be before I get invited to a conference. I guess I'm just too impatient.

ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:36 AM   #2
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

In my tenth or so season, I got promoted to a prestige 4 conference (WAC) after taking my Wright State team (Horizon) to a 2nd place finish. Oh man, that was sweet. The best year I had before that was winning 22 in a row and losing in the 2nd round of the tourney. My prestige was in the 70's when I moved conferences.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:47 AM   #3
ahbrady
High School JV

I just finished my 7th season and two straight sweet 16 finishes and was moved into the Southern conference.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:10 PM   #4
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
In my tenth or so season, I got promoted to a prestige 4 conference (WAC) after taking my Wright State team (Horizon) to a 2nd place finish. Oh man, that was sweet. The best year I had before that was winning 22 in a row and losing in the 2nd round of the tourney. My prestige was in the 70's when I moved conferences.

You joined the WAC with Wrong State University?

Good to see DPS is still teaching geography well.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:36 PM   #5
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, my only complaint with conference movement in this game is that it doesn't seem to take georgraphy into account very well. In my league I'm now playing against Kent State and Seton Hall instead of Mississippi and Auburn in the SEC.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:40 PM   #6
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst

You joined the WAC with Wrong State University?

Good to see DPS is still teaching geography well.

Louisiana Tech starts in the WAC. I'm sure he replaced them or another team from the SE. The game breaks the country into 4 regions and you'll only replace a team from your region when using limited movement. If anything seems weird at that point, it is probably because one of the schools was near the region border and got replaced by a school much farther away but still in the same region.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:28 AM   #7
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Actually, it was Rice who replaced Wright State in the Horizon League. Where the hell is Rice? I got no clue
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 04:22 AM   #8
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Rice is in Houston.

To further expound on HR's comment, when I was at Savannah State and made it to level three, I looked around level four conferences and I'm pretty sure that La. Tech was the ONLY school from the SE Region in a Level 4 conference, and therefore my only hope to move up. Yes, it was a little weird to see Sav. State in the WAC for a while, but given the situation, it makes sense. The "only-replace-a-school-within-your-region" logic makes perfect sense to me, and only breaks down in situations like this where there is already a regional disparity in a conference (like having La. Tech in the WAC to begin with...)

--Ben
Old 04-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #9
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

It works out if he replaced Rice since Wright State I think is in Ohio and Ohio and Texas are in the Midwest region. It's a nitpick, but I've always thought Texas and Oklahoma belonged more in the Southeast rather than the Midwest. Were they placed in the Midwest for balance with the other four regions, i.e. would the Southeast have too many (something) and the Midwest too little (something) if Texas and Oklahoma were in the Southeast? Or was this an arbitrary design decision? Playing as Stephen F. Austin, I thought it was odd that I could select my home region and get reports on players in Ohio or Minnesota, but I'd have to switch regions to look at Louisiana, or Arkansas. Of course, this sort of argument applies to a lot of these border states, but generally the other border states make some degree of sense about which region they were in compared to where they could be...I think West Virginia is another odd duck, if I remember right, because it's in the Northeast, while Ohio is in the Midwest, VA and KY in the south. Could have something to do with WVU being a Big East school. However, since I think FBCB measures cost by distance and not by region, it probably is only a cosmetic quibble, whereas TCY did it by distance, but added region penalties.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Yeah, I'm open to moving the regions around a little and was actually thinking yesterday about putting Texas in the SE but I couldn't see doing it alone. Moving Oklahoma as well might work out. WV is another one on the border that could change. The changes proposed so far would leave us with:

WEST:
"WA", "AK", "HI", "OR", "CA", "NV", "ID", "MT", "WY", "CO", "UT", "AZ", "NM"

MIDWEST:
"ND", "SD", "NE", "KS", "MN", "IA", "MO", "WI", "MI", "IL", "IN", "OH"

SOUTH:
"FL", "AR", "LA", "TN", "MS", "AL", "GA", "NC", "KY", "VA", "SC", "OK", "TX"

EAST:
"MA", "ME", "NH", "VT", "NY", "RI", "DE", "PA", "NJ", "WV", "MD", "DC", "CT"
Old 04-13-2004, 03:05 PM   #11
rjolley
College Starter

Yeah, I think Texax should be in the South, and I don't see a problem with Oklahoma being there as well.

West Virginia should be East.

I like the arrangement you have listed.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:19 PM   #12
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Trying to keep the general conference regions intact with movement on is tough. Texas schools are all over the place so this will eventually lead to one of the Florida schools ending up in the Big 12 or something. With the breakdown listed above, hopefully that will be the only issue. Movement within the West and East regions is never really a problem. The Midwest will be less of an issue now with Texas and Oklahoma moved.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:22 PM   #13
rjolley
College Starter

Will the next beta patch have this and the addition with last year's attributes on the player cards?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:37 PM   #14
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Yeah.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:51 PM   #15
rjolley
College Starter

Kool, thanks.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:53 AM   #16
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Dayum...talk about service!

I merely pointed something out, not intending to change anything and look what it gets me...

BTW, HR, if/when a version comes out that reflects the new conference arrangements for 2004-05, how will that affect leagues already in existence? Would I have to start over to get the changes? (I'm not even considering 05-06 at this point because those changes are too numerous to count and probably aren't done yet)
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 04:41 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I didn't think this question warranted a whole thread of its own, so I'm attaching it to this one since the subject is conference movement.

I'm on the latest patch, with limited conference movement turned on
-- After the 2004 season, Washington & Utah switched places between the Pac-10 & the Mountain West.
-- After the 2005 season, Arizona State & BYU switched places between the Pac-10 & the Mountain West

(There were a few other moves listed in the history too, but no others involving the Pac-10, only one other with the Mountain West, as Gonzaga & Air Force switched places)

Okay, so I'm loving it so far, and out of curiosity I check the Pac 10 standings during the 2006 season to see how the two new members are doing.

That's when I discover that, although it isn't mentioned anywhere in the movement history, Washington has suddenly returned to the Pac-10 & Utah is back in the Mtn West. So ...

1) Is this how it's supposed to work? Only 1 team can be in a new conference?
2) If not, umm ... what gives?

Thanks in advance, because this really has me curious.

Jon
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 04:43 PM   #18
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

There was a bug that I just fixed this week that could cause the conference movement to be reset. Try grabbing the patch and let me know if you still see the issue for some reason.

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB109.exe
Old 06-20-2004, 04:45 PM   #19
Ben E Lou

Changes/fixes list for 1.09 so far?
Old 06-20-2004, 04:49 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the quick reply Brian, but a question:
My "about" screen shows me with v. 1.09 already -- is the linked patch a sort of "1.09b" or is that gonna be the same thing I already have?

I'll check your answer when I get back, unfortunately I'm about 20 seconds away from walking out the door to take Will to see Around the World in 80 Days
(
I'd really rather be here playing the rest of my 4th season with Lipscomb, but I'm a good daddy I guess )
Old 06-20-2004, 05:00 PM   #21
korme
Go Reds

Skydog, you lazy bastard:

June 4, 2004 - I have just uploaded the version 1.0.9 patch for FBCB. You can get it from the download page. Here are the details:

CHANGES:
*Added the possibilty for shot clock violations.
*Added the possibilty for 5-second violations.
*Added the player classes to the main roster html output.
*Manual conference moves are no longer disabled when you have conference movement on.
*Assistant coaches will now let you know when they think they deserve a raise.
*Added the option to disable the 5/8 scholarship rule.
*Added filters and an overall rating to the player file editor.
*Added a check for teams over 15 players to the player file editor.
*Add the option to sort the available saves on the load save screen.
*Redesigned the buttons for the game to make some of them easier to read.

FIXES:
*Fixed a bug that caused the bubble watch not get updated in March.
*Fixed a bug that made caused the bubble watch to be enabled before it had been updated from the previous season.
*The headers on the bubble watch printout should now be properly aligned.
*Fixed a bug theat caused the career high for 3pa to not be saved properly in some cases.
*Fixed a bug that caused some SG's in the default player pool to have 0'0" height.
*Preseason tourneys now only count as one non-conference game when scheduling.
*Half-court shots will now only count as 2 points when not using the 3-point shot.
*The allow early departures option should now be saved properly when loading and saving your league.
*Active leaders on the player career records screen should now show up in the proper conference.
*Fixed a bug that caused the call list display to not update when you removed a player from the list.
*It is no longer possible to have negative time on the shotclock if the shooting team gets the rebound on a blocked shot.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 05:23 PM   #22
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Thanks for the quick reply Brian, but a question:
My "about" screen shows me with v. 1.09 already -- is the linked patch a sort of "1.09b" or is that gonna be the same thing I already have?

I'll check your answer when I get back, unfortunately I'm about 20 seconds away from walking out the door to take Will to see Around the World in 80 Days
(I'd really rather be here playing the rest of my 4th season with Lipscomb, but I'm a good daddy I guess )

Yeah. It is exactly that. Basically it includes the list shorty posted above plus:

CHANGES:
*Added a min star rating filter to the team recruiting screen.

FIXES:
*Fixed a crash that could occur when going to the load save screen.
*Fixed a bug that caused the block early departures option to have the opposite effect on high school players meaning that no high school players would declare if block early departures was off.
*Fixed a bug that caused all previous conference movement to be reset.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:32 AM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign
*Fixed a bug that caused all previous conference movement to be reset.
Actually, it's still resetting them (at least in the career I had already started).
I can try a new career & quick sim to see what happens if you want (heck, I may try it anyway)

{edited to add} Nope, it still resets them with a new save too

Ah well, at least the movie wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-21-2004 at 02:08 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:09 AM   #24
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Actually, it's still resetting them (at least in the career I had already started).
I can try a new career & quick sim to see what happens if you want (heck, I may try it anyway)

Ah well, at least the movie wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

Ok, let me know. The patch resolved the issue in the test league I had but if it is still happening I'll take another look at it. Do you have the *'s filter on your team recruiting screen? I want to make sure I didn't do something stupid like uploading the wrong file.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:55 AM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign
Do you have the *'s filter on your team recruiting screen?

I'm pretty sure that's a "yes" -- I believe it's the very last item, just below Interest Level, I can cull prospects based on their * to ***** ratings.

(Incidentally, I've had that *'s filter all along -- I only purchased the game a few days ago ... and haven't done much of anything else around here since )
Old 06-21-2004, 08:06 AM   #26
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I only purchased the game a few days ago ... and haven't done much of anything else around here since )

WHOA!!!

Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute!!!!

Does this mean that Jon has turned to the dark side and moved forward from '98?????

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-21-2004 at 08:07 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:23 AM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Does this mean that Jon has turned to the dark side and moved forward from '98?????

That was WinMe, thank you very much

I was about to post up the results of the great computer chase in that thread as a matter of fact, just hadn't quite gotten around to it yet.

The pathetic truth is that I basically bought a new computer in order to play:
1) FBCB
2) CM 03/04 (which arrived on Friday, after ordering from gogamer late Wed)
3) the forthcoming EHM

It only cost me $600 ... plus a new laptop for SWMBO.

I figure, sooner or later, the hourly cost will end up being a bargain
Old 06-21-2004, 08:28 AM   #28
Ben E Lou

Quote:
The pathetic truth is that I basically bought a new computer in order to play:
1) FBCB
2) CM 03/04 (which arrived on Friday, after ordering from gogamer late Wed)
3) the forthcoming EHM
That's not pathetic, at least in my book. In my 15+ years of PC ownership, virtually every single hardware upgrade and/or new purchase has been driven by a game or two that either needed a better system to play, or ran too slowly for my tastes on the system I had.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-21-2004 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:01 PM   #29
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Alright, I should be able to get a fix posted later today. This is all a side effect of the change to allow manual team movement when you have the other movement options enabled. I'll just have to go back and change how that is handled so it won't interfere.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:06 PM   #30
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Skydog, you lazy bastard:
June 4, 2004
If you will recall, oh young and impetuous one, I was out of town on June 4th. I was therefore unaware that an official patch had been released. If you'll note the inclusion of "so far" in my request for changes/fixes, you'll realize that I was operating under the impression that this was an unofficial patch. Further, HR does not always post up-to-date fix lists for his patches until they are official, thus leading to the request.

.....either all that, or I'm a lazy bastard. Probably both.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-21-2004 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:14 PM   #31
korme
Go Reds

Semantics, semantics. You are said bastard, all furthur discussion is moot.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:02 PM   #32
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Ok, give this patch a try and let me know if you have any trouble. Everything seemed to work fine in my testing today.

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB110.exe
Old 06-22-2004, 08:30 AM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks HR, I'll give it a whirl as soon as I can.
A question though -- should it fix the problem on existing careers? or only on careers started after the patch is applied?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:52 AM   #34
rjolley
College Starter

I had this issue and the patch worked on my current career. Fortunately, I had a backup of the save game from before the reset bug happened, so I used that backup and everything worked fine.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:27 PM   #35
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Thanks HR, I'll give it a whirl as soon as I can.
A question though -- should it fix the problem on existing careers? or only on careers started after the patch is applied?

It should fix the problem in an existing career.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:35 PM   #36
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I've uploaded the most recent version of the patch today. Again the link is:

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB110.exe

It will say 1.1.0 at the top when you run the game if you've got the right build.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:02 AM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Installed, ran 3 seasons with a test league, it appears to have resolved the issue.
Now I can get back to my "regular" career.

Thanks for the fix, I appreciate the customer service.

Jon