Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2004, 10:50 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

MF Daylight Saving Time

Screw you, you "making me tired for a day" hooligan.

Last edited by stevew : 03-05-2012 at 03:24 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 02:14 PM   #2
Vince
Pro Starter

But I'll take the extra hour of darkness...who needs to be up early on Sunday anyways?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
Philliesfan980
Banned

I'm an accountant, and its tax season. Losing even 1 hour when you work 70-75 hour weeks is cruel and unusual.

After the 15th its nice having it be light out until 7:30 - 9:00 depending on the day though
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 03:10 PM   #4
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
But I'll take the extra hour of darkness...who needs to be up early on Sunday anyways?

I did. I was supposed to be at work at 8, and I got here at 9.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
Vince
Pro Starter

Ouch

I'm certain in a year, when I'm not a student anymore, I'm not going to be nearly as much a fan of the day than I am now.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Why can't we fall backward, spring backward...summerbackward, and winterbackward? It would make more sense for Americans who don't get enough sleep.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 11:17 PM   #7
thetrilogy
Mascot

Daylight savings time are the 2 worst days to run a movie theater. I no longer work there, so I will share my experience.

Here's why DST are the 2 worst days to run a movie theater:

yes, there are people who are oblivious to the fact they have to change their clocks (forward or back 1 hour).

In Spring: The customer comes in to see the Sunday 1:00 pm show. They come out of the theater ranting and raving to me, calling me every name in the book. After clearing the evil thoughts out of my head, I take great enjoyment in subtly mentioning to them that it is now 2pm, not 1 pm. "Did you turn your clock ahead last night???" These people are so pissed at being that stupid, they're still mad at me. I deal out re-admission passes like candy.

In the fall: The customer comes in to see the Sunday 1:00 pm show. They go into the theater, sit and wait, and wait, and wait. Finally they come out screaming at me, wanting to know why the damn movie hasn't started. I quiet myself from evil rage, then subtly mention the thing about moving the clock back an hour. They really came in at 12 noon, and sat in a theater for over 30 minutes.
Even better, customers come in to see, let's say the Sunday, 5:00 pm show. They buy tickets, go in thinking they just missed the start of the show. They see the end of the movie within a 1/2 hour or so, and out they come, screaming and yelling at me about the movie running at the wrong time.

I am soooo glad I do not run a theater any more.
thetrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:59 AM   #8
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

What is this Daylight Savings Time you speak of? Oh, that's right. That's when the rest of you crazy states switch clocks back and forth for no real apparent reason.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'm just glad I don't live in Indiana.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:22 PM   #10
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP

Hey! I resemble that remark.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:12 AM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bumpity bump bump bump. Man, im gonna be way tired on Sunday again.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 AM   #12
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
I'm an accountant, and its tax season. Losing even 1 hour when you work 70-75 hour weeks is cruel and unusual.

After the 15th its nice having it be light out until 7:30 - 9:00 depending on the day though

Move to AZ - since we don't recognize DST, we never change.

No lost billable hours for me.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:20 AM   #13
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Interestingly, Indiana is trying to push through a bill at the last minute to switch to observing daylight savings.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:21 AM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

Luckily I have to work Sunday night this year. I hate having to get up early on the spring DS day...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:25 AM   #15
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman
Interestingly, Indiana is trying to push through a bill at the last minute to switch to observing daylight savings.
If the bill passes, the switch will happen in June.

I hope if it ultimately goes through, we can get switched to central time in the next session, at least in the South Bend area.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:37 PM   #16
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

You guys are slackers. In Europe, we went to DST last Sunday...which was pretty good, because we then had Easter Monday off to recover from the lost hour...
Old 04-03-2005, 03:00 AM   #17
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies
You guys are slackers. In Europe, we went to DST last Sunday...which was pretty good, because we then had Easter Monday off to recover from the lost hour...
WTF is Easter Monday.

Sunday America celebrates Christ's birth and I guess Monday Europe celebrates his circumsision?

Leave it to those crazy, drunken Europeans to have a holiday for cutting someones dick off?
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:06 AM   #18
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Thankfully I do not drive these days of the week. When you have to fill out a log book of your driving hours, it kind of sucks keeping track of the actual hours driving, and then trying to make sense of the lost/gained hour on the log book......
Old 04-03-2005, 03:17 AM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This is my favorite "outside" day of the year. I just love having it light out later at night. It just makes the day seem to last so much longer (even though it isn't). It reminds me that spring is here, and summer is coming, and those are my two favorite times of the year. Also, in SoCal, usually the weather is great right about now, and we get treated to a warm, well-lit twilight with a beautiful sky and sunset (and judging from forecasts that figures to happen again tonight).

As far as I am concerned, losing the hour of sleep is pretty much the only downer about the spring switchover, and I will get over that.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:19 AM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP

I'm glad I don't live in Indiana, too. What were we talking about, again?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:53 AM   #21
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
WTF is Easter Monday.

Sunday America celebrates Christ's birth and I guess Monday Europe celebrates his circumsision?

Leave it to those crazy, drunken Europeans to have a holiday for cutting someones dick off?
Easter Sunday = Christ's resurrection
Christmas = Christ's birth

FWIW Australia gets a 4 day weekend for Easter as we get Friday and Monday off - mind you, it always seems to rain over Easter every year.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:55 AM   #22
21C
College Prospect

Oh and don't get me started on circumsision ( sic ) = cutting someones dick off.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:03 AM   #23
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
WTF is Easter Monday.

Notre Dame does not have classes on Easter Monday.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:20 AM   #24
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I guess the Dynamic servers refuse to acknowledge DST. Nevermind. I went to my profile, and it was checked to "automatically detect DST", but I had to toggle it off, then toggle it back on for it to realize it.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 04-04-2005 at 10:25 AM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:32 AM   #25
Huckleberry
College Starter

Daylight Saving Time

Not Savings.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:51 AM   #26
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't mind it. Back in high school/college, it used to suck when I would work the closing shift at the grocery store, then have to open at 6am. But now, I hardly notice the difference. I'd say the only bad thing about DST is trying to put the kids to sleep when it is light outside. Not easy last night. And by June, it'll be even worse.

Of course, when it stays darker in the morning, that makes it easier to keep the kids asleep in the morning, which is a tradeoff I don't mind making.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:01 AM   #27
Hurst2112
College Starter

If Christ was crucified on Good Friday...he rose 3 days later. That would make it Monday.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #28
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I'd say the only bad thing about DST is trying to put the kids to sleep when it is light outside. Not easy last night. And by June, it'll be even worse.

You can do what I do, keep the kid up until midnight.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:16 PM   #29
ColtCrazy
College Starter

How nice it is to be in Indiana where they don't change (but are seriously considering it in state government) Glad they are spending time arguing this while cutting our education budgets even more.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote