Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What do you think of gay kids books?
They're Fabulous! 7 21.21%
What the fu**? 20 60.61%
I always liked "fairy" tales... 2 6.06%
Never use a poll (or pole) with a topic such as this... 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

"Gay" kids books

There are several on Amazon: King & King, The Sissy Duckling, Jack & Jim... Brings a new meaning to "Fairy" tales...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...15824606127298

From School Library Journal
Grades 3-5--In this postmodern fractured fairy tale, a worn-out and badly beleaguered Queen is ready for retirement. After many hours of nagging, the crown prince, who "never cared much for princesses," finally caves in and agrees to wed in order to ascend the throne. Their search for a suitable bride extends far and wide, but none of the eligible princesses strikes the Prince's fancy, until Princess Madeleine shows up. The Prince is immediately smitten- with her brother, Prince Lee. The wedding is "very special," the Queen settles down on a chaise lounge in the sun, and everyone lives happily ever after.

Old 03-19-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Don't care if someones gay, i'm not homophobic, and i am disgusted at our goverments anti-gay stances.

That said, i still don't want to promote that way of life, sooo "What the fu**?" .

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-19-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
Hurst2112
College Starter

i'll wait to post on this one til I am good and drunk...so I can piss some people off.

or not
Old 03-19-2004, 06:03 PM   #4
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

dola

Is it me or does that pic hint that Doug, from that kids cartoon show, grew up to be a gay prince?
Old 03-19-2004, 06:05 PM   #5
Easy Mac

sex book for kids
Old 03-19-2004, 06:09 PM   #6
Flasch186
Coordinator

i cant vote for any of the choices.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-19-2004, 06:12 PM   #7
famatu
Mascot

My son is 5 and he is in kindergarten. They read, "Heather Has Two Mommies" to him to try and "educate" him about "alternative" families and lifestyles. Please remember, my son is FIVE!!! I do not want him knowing what sex is yet, let alone a sick, repulisve, kind of sex that is against everything our family believes in!

I pulled him out of the government school that very day - and he will never return! Little Russ now goes to a private Christian school where they promote Jesus, the Bible, and do NOT talk about "sex ed", homosexuality being "normal and healthy" or anything else along those lines. I guess the people at his new school have a clue - he's five!
For the deaths of thousands of people, I scream. For having to explain horrific pictures to children, I scream. For dancing Palestinians in the streets, I scream. For long lines at airports, and stupid-assed corporate policies, I scream.
Then I laugh because I remember I have something that our enemies don't have: Freedom.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #8
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Just be glad it's not a "pop-up"
Old 03-19-2004, 06:37 PM   #9
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by famatu
My son is 5 and he is in kindergarten. They read, "Heather Has Two Mommies" to him to try and "educate" him about "alternative" families and lifestyles. Please remember, my son is FIVE!!! I do not want him knowing what sex is yet, let alone a sick, repulisve, kind of sex that is against everything our family believes in!

I pulled him out of the government school that very day - and he will never return! Little Russ now goes to a private Christian school where they promote Jesus, the Bible, and do NOT talk about "sex ed", homosexuality being "normal and healthy" or anything else along those lines. I guess the people at his new school have a clue - he's five!
Right! At 5 he should be at a stage where he's repulsed by icky girls. Not reading about boys liking boys. I remember when I was a kid, at that age I didn't know what gay was, or what straight was for that matter. All I wanted to do was play with my barbies and... TRUCKS! Play with my TRUCKS, and GI Joe, and Cars and I used to blow things up... OK, I did play with my sister's barbies, but it was to pull their heads off.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:27 PM   #10
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:

Please note: By taking such actions as the one you've taken you are usetting the social engineering plans for the new world order and may possibly be viewed by your government as an 'obstacle' in the near future! You've been warned! (God Bless and good for you!)

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 03-19-2004 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:32 PM   #11
Suicane75
Coordinator

If Heather has 2 hot mommies than I wanna be Heathers friend, and I want my son to be her friend too cause Heathers gonna wanna experiment in a few years.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:45 PM   #12
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
If Heather has 2 hot mommies than I wanna be Heathers friend, and I want my son to be her friend too cause Heathers gonna wanna experiment in a few years.

You say that in jest, but studies actually DO show that kids living in same-sex union households are MUCH more likely to experiment with homosexual behavior than other kids. And for more good info on what happens when you ignore God's will and plan for families/sex in marriage, look up on Drudge how Helen Gurley Brown (hardly a conservative) has just been vindicated for an article she wrote in 1993 and was villified for regarding the "Myth" of heterosexual AIDS. Apparently many interests, including the drug companies, have a vested interest in promoting this myth even though it ain't so. Heterosexuals do NOT contract AIDS in over 95% of all cases. Read it on Drudge.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:49 PM   #13
Easy Mac

FALSE
Old 03-19-2004, 07:55 PM   #14
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
You say that in jest, but studies actually DO show that kids living in same-sex union households are MUCH more likely to experiment with homosexual behavior than other kids.

*holds back laughter*
Old 03-19-2004, 07:56 PM   #15
Suicane75
Coordinator

Bubba, were you dropped on your head alot as a child?
Old 03-19-2004, 08:00 PM   #16
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

I know the social-engineering PC crowd won't like it, but sorry to say I've heard that studies have shown this as being true.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:02 PM   #17
Easy Mac

I know the close-minded JC crowd won't like it, but sorry to say I've heard that studies have shown the opposite as being true.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:04 PM   #18
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
I know the social-engineering PC crowd won't like it, but sorry to say I've heard that studies have shown this as being true.

You've heard? Do the voices tell you anything else?
Old 03-19-2004, 08:05 PM   #19
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Studies were done by independent research firms. Will get the info but you won't believe it anyway cause it won't suite your predisposed ideology.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:10 PM   #20
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Not to gross anyone out, but there is, uh, tearage in homosexual sex. This leads to bleeding, which leads to higher risk of contracting STD's. Has nothing to do with God's plan you god damn nut.

I hate religion. Think for yourselves for christ sake.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-19-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:11 PM   #21
Suicane75
Coordinator

well, theres tearage in heterosexual sex too. If ya do it right.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:22 PM   #22
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Not quite as much as butt sex.

I read blurbs here and there on this, no i haven't tried it . I know someone was going to crack the joke.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:00 PM   #23
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

God- Bubba's the kind of republican which makes me want to be a democrat-almost...- and that's a huge frigigng achivement. Religion is not now and should not always be the overarching compass for morality.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:40 PM   #24
Subby
lolzcat

I need people like Bubba Wheels around to remind me why I vote against the Moral Majority and Extreme Religious Right every chance I can...

Thank you.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:44 PM   #25
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Good topic, but a dumb one for a poll.

Hmm. Do I want my kids reading this? Well, not exclusively, and not necessarily. But...if I were gay and had adoptive/foster kids...or if I learned my kid might be gay or lesbian? You know, I think I'd want them to have the opportunity to read about people like themselves, with their own unique set of problems. Role models are important to people. It is possible to lead a moral life and be gay or lesbian. It is also possible to lead an immoral life and be straight.

For that matter, I wouldn't really have a problem if they picked one up out of curiosity. I would hope I'd be there to help set the context and that they'd be willing to come to me with questions or concerns.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:45 PM   #26
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Studies were done by independent research firms. Will get the info but you won't believe it anyway cause it won't suite your predisposed ideology.

Studies also show that religiously intolerant Christians eat small children for breakfast.

There, my statement is at least as credible as yours.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:21 PM   #27
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
God- Bubba's the kind of republican which makes me want to be a democrat-almost...- and that's a huge frigigng achivement. Religion is not now and should not always be the overarching compass for morality.

For anyone in Minnesota, I'll be doing my part tomorrow to get rid of our biggest examples of this in the legislature.

Last edited by Ryche : 03-19-2004 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:39 PM   #28
Airhog
Captain Obvious

You can never educate your children about sex too early. Kids will only learn what they are ready to learn.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Old 03-19-2004, 11:27 PM   #29
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Worst thread ever.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:09 AM   #30
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I don't understand the point.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:16 AM   #31
sabotai
General Manager

I'm not surprised that those who are completely intolerant of homosexuality have completely missed the point of having these kinds of books. To them, anything that deals with homosexuality in anyway is telling boys to go out and have butt sex and telling girls to go lick carpet. Not surprised one bit...
Old 03-20-2004, 12:18 AM   #32
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Bubba, While I am a Christian AIDS was not meant only for gays. I dont beleive God is punishing them for that. Their time will come on Judgement day just like you and me when we can say "thank you Jesus, for saving us!". Kids reading that crap is not very healthy for them in my opinion.

Out of a Christian perspective and into another. You believe that the world evolved and people came to be through evolution. Then how do you explain homosexuals other than a disorder? you cant reproduce which is a natural thing to do, the reason why we live. So why would you? Arent most men attracted to women? then the few who arent have sumthing loose in their heads.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:19 AM   #33
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Not to gross anyone out, but there is, uh, tearage in homosexual sex. This leads to bleeding, which leads to higher risk of contracting STD's. Has nothing to do with God's plan you god damn nut.

I hate religion. Think for yourselves for christ sake.

Why don't you shut the hell up. Better yet, don't post on this thread anymore.

You can bring a decent take to a subject like this if you try. You have not tried to do that. Once you start saying dumb shit like your last line, the gloves are off and the snide remarks start to fly.

I would suggest not posting without a sense of what you are saying, and who you are saying it to, again.

Get a clue.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 03-20-2004 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:20 AM   #34
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

By the way I live in Minnesota, Gov. Pawlenty is the best thing since sliced bread IMHO. Next voting day we will have 2 republican senators hopefully.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:22 AM   #35
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Check this one out

Two Moms, the Zark, and Me

Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
This seriously flawed picture book blunders through a sensitive issue--the rights of homosexual parents. A boy is taken to the park by his "two moms," wanders over to the zoo where he meets a Zark (a sort of brontosaurus), discovers he's lost, and is picked up by Mr. and Mrs. McFink--ultraconservatives who go ballistic over his family's domestic arrangements: "It's wrong! It's a sin! Not at all how I think! / The only true family's a family like ours: / With a mom, and a dad, and two kids, and two cars." At last the Zark intervenes, routing the McFinks and reuniting the boy with his parents. Valentine's rhyming text is uneven and, highlighting as it does one of childhood's worst fears--being lost--has a nightmarish quality that's exacerbated by the weird proportions and skewed perspectives of Lopez's cartoonish illustrations. Lopez pictures McFink as a Jesse Helms lookalike, and just in case readers don't understand how rotten he and his wife really are (which would be difficult, given their perpetually nasty expressions), the McFinks are initially shown brandishing sharp instruments--although just exactly what they're doing at the zoo with an evil-looking nail file and a potato peeler is never explained. All in all, it's a mean-spirited, sniping approach to a topic that deserves thoughtful treatment. Ages 4-8.

Or this one.

Uncle What-Is-It Is Coming to Visit!!
Willhoite courts a repeat of the controversy touched off by his Daddy's Roommate with this uneasy mixture of political correctness and retrograde thinking. Tiffany and Igor have never met Uncle Brett, who is coming to visit tomorrow. When Tiffany asks if he's married, Mom "gets sort of a funny look on her face" and says, "Well . . . as a matter of fact, he's gay." But she is interrupted before she can explain, and Tiffany and Igor turn to a couple of doltish teenagers for the definition of "gay." One shows the children a newspaper photo of a Carmen Miranda impersonator marching in a gay pride parade (" 'Coochy, coochy, coochy,' squealed Shelby"). Shelby's brother, however, proffers an alternate vision of gays: "dressed up in black leather. Zippers and chains all over 'em. Dark glasses . . . Chaps!" Willhoite fills a few spreads with caricatures of transvestites and "leather queens" (there's even a multibraceleted limp wrist on the book's cover), and these exotic images are sure to make a deeper impression on young readers than the book's conclusion, which, of course, introduces Brett as perfectly ordinary dresser. Alas, this volume is stronger at defining stereotypes than at demolishing them. Ages 4-8.

Nice books.

I think Ill go read them to my 5 year old tomorrow.

Last edited by stevew : 03-20-2004 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:28 AM   #36
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Hey, I dont think 5 year olds should be exposed to sex, and I think we can all agree upon that. I also don't think that a lovingly depicted family , be it gay or straight- makes a frigging difference.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:14 AM   #37
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
By the way I live in Minnesota, Gov. Pawlenty is the best thing since sliced bread IMHO. Next voting day we will have 2 republican senators hopefully.

Hoorah
Old 03-20-2004, 03:44 AM   #38
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My son is 5 and he is in kindergarten. They read, "Heather Has Two Mommies" to him to try and "educate" him about "alternative" families and lifestyles. Please remember, my son is FIVE!!!

And? Your five year old son doesn't know that some of his friends have a mommy and a daddy? What's so wrong about teaching him to be tolerate of kids in his calss who have two mommies instead? You don't have be a certain age to learn tolerance.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:36 AM   #39
famatu
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadik

ummm...what should be then? Your opinion? The "majority opinion"? That would make us a country of mob rule. Do you really want that? That is why the United States grew into the greatest country in the history of the world - our morality seeded in God!
For the deaths of thousands of people, I scream. For having to explain horrific pictures to children, I scream. For dancing Palestinians in the streets, I scream. For long lines at airports, and stupid-assed corporate policies, I scream.
Then I laugh because I remember I have something that our enemies don't have: Freedom.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:39 AM   #40
famatu
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
I'm not surprised that those who are completely intolerant of homosexuality have completely missed the point of having these kinds of books. To them, anything that deals with homosexuality in anyway is telling boys to go out and have butt sex and telling girls to go lick carpet. Not surprised one bit...

EXACTLY! So you basically get the point you accuse others of not getting - what an irony!
Old 03-20-2004, 04:49 AM   #41
famatu
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
And? Your five year old son doesn't know that some of his friends have a mommy and a daddy? What's so wrong about teaching him to be tolerate of kids in his calss who have two mommies instead? You don't have be a certain age to learn tolerance.

There's that word again - the word that WILL lead to the destruction of America as we know it - "tolerance" Yes, it's great to be tolerant of people who are different than you and even celebrate your unique differences sometimes - but NOT when it deals with morality!

The morals our church and our family teach to our children do not include "tolerance" of things that God specifically says to not do.

Everyone thought it was "not that big of a deal" that clinton was getting blowjobs in the oval office - does that mean I should teach my kids to be tolerant of me if I cheat on their mom and want to go get some blowjobs of my own? If society decides that lying, cheating, and stealing is okay, does that mean I should teach my children "tolerance" of people who do those things? Of course not! I would rather my family and myself be burned at the stake and reunited in Heaven for sticking to our morals that the Bible teaches us than being "tolerant" of things we KNOW are not right in the eyes of the lord!

I'm not a religous zealot who would love to convert you either. Although I'm sure God would love to save you, I have no interest in "talking to", "tolerating", or "converting" people like yourself. I hope for your own sake you get yourself straight with God but if you don't, it won't stop my family from eternal paradise!
Old 03-20-2004, 05:04 AM   #42
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
ummm...what should be then? Your opinion? The "majority opinion"? That would make us a country of mob rule. Do you really want that? That is why the United States grew into the greatest country in the history of the world - our morality seeded in God!

Spare me the jingoistic bullshit. The primary strength of the US is its tolerance and encouragement of the individual, and that should (and generally does) extend to religous beliefs. Primarily, Im of the belief that marriage should not be a government regulated institution anyway- its a sign of commitment that two people who love each other and wish to codify it take- what role does the government and religion have in that ? On a personal level, I admit my prejudices- something about gay couples/marriage used to bother me a little bit- and it probably a sense of "Difference". Having said that, my personal prejudices and yours should not be the basis of imposing morality- which is the idiocy you're arguing for, and laughingly accusing me of.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:06 AM   #43
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
There's that word again - the word that WILL lead to the destruction of America as we know it - "tolerance"

Wow if we could only go back to the 1950, or better yet, back to 1850, we'd be all set. None of those damn women or blacks with the vote! I'm sure America would be better off then!

Quote:
I would rather my family and myself be burned at the stake and reunited in Heaven for sticking to our morals that the Bible teaches us than being "tolerant" of things we KNOW are not right in the eyes of the lord!

I think gays are much more in danger of being burned at the stake (or tied to fence posts and being left for dead) than you are.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:08 AM   #44
famatu
Mascot

Quote:
Spare me the jingoistic bullshit. The primary strength of the US is its tolerance and encouragement of the individual, and that should (and generally does) extend to religous beliefs. Primarily, Im of the belief that marriage should not be a government regulated institution anyway- its a sign of commitment that two people who love each other and wish to codify it take- what role does the government and religion have in that ? On a personal level, I admit my prejudices- something about gay couples/marriage used to bother me a little bit- and it probably a sense of "Difference". Having said that, my personal prejudices and yours should not be the basis of imposing morality- which is the idiocy you're arguing for, and laughingly accusing me of.

We're not talking about homosexuals getting married anymore. We're talking about your opinion that "morality" should be decided by mob rule. If you have something to say, at least stand behind it! Don't wimp out and hide behind another issue when someone calls you on a position in which you are obviously wrong.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:11 AM   #45
famatu
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
I think gays are much more in danger of being burned at the stake (or tied to fence posts and being left for dead) than you are.

Quite honestly, I hope that never happens to a homosexual - because just like you and I, they are people too. But in all honesty, if our world comes to the point where I have to agree to be politically correct or die, I'll chose to die. Remeber the old phrase, "Give me liberty or give me death!" ? I guarantee you'll be hearing that a whole lot more in the next 10 years as the politically correct police start to target everyone who isn't with the agenda they want you to follow!
Old 03-20-2004, 05:14 AM   #46
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
We're not talking about homosexuals getting married anymore. We're talking about your opinion that "morality" should be decided by mob rule. If you have something to say, at least stand behind it! Don't wimp out and hide behind another issue when someone calls you on a position in which you are obviously wrong.

Wimp out when faced with the genius of your arguements ? Never.
I did get a little off-track there, undoubtedly. However, when you attempt to argue that the opinions of the people are irrelevant to morality (read your first post criticizing me), and that religion is the sole basis - you're not arguing- you're proletyzing. Morality is a human construct, and exists outside of religion- to argue that religion is the seed for morality is in essence to argue that before religion, life was essentialy ammoral.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:22 AM   #47
famatu
Mascot

Quote:
to argue that religion is the seed for morality is in essence to argue that before religion, life was essentialy ammoral.

Exactly....because there was no "before religion" - remeber Genesis when God Himself created the first man? Do you think Adam didn't believe in God? And the very first act of immorality in history was when Adam ate the forbidden fruit. The rest is....history!

Now, if you argue the point that before man there were all kinds of animals and dinosaurs, etc.. then I would still have to say that no, there was no morality before religion because animals don't live by morals - they live by "animal instinct" - that is pretty much what seperates us from them!

So yes, what I'm saying is all morals are based on religion - I won't even pin it down to the religion I believe in - the Muslims kill Americans "because of their religion" Their Koran tells them to. That is why it is "moral" to the Muslims to kill innocent people. If you just start "making up" what th morals are based on what society wants to get away with by agreeing it is right then we're in for a whole lot of trouble! Imagine the day they make rape legal and they come and rape your mother, wife, and daughter - still want to make morals a "group discussion" ?
Old 03-20-2004, 05:26 AM   #48
Suicane75
Coordinator

Man, you right wing bible nuts scare the holy fuck out of me.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:27 AM   #49
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Remeber the old phrase, "Give me liberty or give me death!" ? I guarantee you'll be hearing that a whole lot more in the next 10 years as the politically correct police start to target everyone who isn't with the agenda they want you to follow!

Famatu, while you certainly have all the right in the world to believe this, I think the crux of the dispute on this board is that many people feel that the way the country is trending, we're more likely to be told what to do by Christians who feel it's their job to have our government discriminate against things they don't like because of their religion. Believing that homosexuality is a sin is fine, I don't take that right away from anyone. But going to the next level and trying to work governmental discrimination into the mix is too much, in my opinion. We live in a multi-cultural, varied country of many religions. Saying things like tolerance will destroy America, in my opinion, just reinforces the idea that many Christians would like to railroad this country back to some kind of police state where the government tells us what to say and do because of a "moral code."
Old 03-20-2004, 05:33 AM   #50
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Exactly....because there was no "before religion" - remeber Genesis when God Himself created the first man? Do you think Adam didn't believe in God? And the very first act of immorality in history was when Adam ate the forbidden fruit. The rest is....history!

Now, if you argue the point that before man there were all kinds of animals and dinosaurs, etc.. then I would still have to say that no, there was no morality before religion because animals don't live by morals - they live by "animal instinct" - that is pretty much what seperates us from them!

So yes, what I'm saying is all morals are based on religion - I won't even pin it down to the religion I believe in - the Muslims kill Americans "because of their religion" Their Koran tells them to. That is why it is "moral" to the Muslims to kill innocent people. If you just start "making up" what th morals are based on what society wants to get away with by agreeing it is right then we're in for a whole lot of trouble! Imagine the day they make rape legal and they come and rape your mother, wife, and daughter - still want to make morals a "group discussion" ?

This is ill-informed bullshit- to say Muslim morality is to kill innocent people is an ill-conceived attempt to tar all believers of a faith with the same brush- akin to me arguing that the churches' well documented abuses over the years are proof that Christianity does the same. The hijacking of religion by extremists is a tried and tested power play- nothing more.

As for the rest of your arguement, you scare me- you essentialy want a "theocracy"- which is against everything at the heart of the system.
Closed Thread