Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-29-2004, 07:44 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
"The Glove" feels he's getting no love in LA

Un-frickin'-believeable. Gary Payton says he's not happy in LA. He's not happy with his minutes, and he's not happy with the Triangle offense. WTF?

He knew going in that LA is Shaq and Kobe's team. And what offense has Jackson run his entire head coaching career? That's right, the triangle.

This just further enforces the idea that the guys in the NBA, for the most part, don't have a concept of team, and are only interested in the me-first gameplan. His stats this year aren't that far off what he had during his career in Seattle. He's playing about 3 minutes fewer per game, which averages out to 45 seconds per quarter, and is scoring about 4 points fewer per game. I guess he thought he could show up in LA and get the same run of the place like he had in Seattle.

Here's the link to the related story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...vid&id=1746975
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 07:59 AM   #2
The_herd
College Starter

Weren't the Lakers supposed to be the most super duper greatest team ever assembled in any sport....ever?

Last edited by The_herd : 02-29-2004 at 07:59 AM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:55 AM   #3
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

My first thought upon reading the title of this thread was, "What in the world is he talking about??? The L.A. player, M.C. Ice-T, gave The Glove all kinds of love back in the day!"

Ice-T Reckless (12) lyrics
{Intro}

Hey, boy!

{Verse 1}

Once upon a time a DJ's task
Was just to play records, what more could you ask?
But then came remixes, scratching and cuts
Which was too much for many, drove some DJ's nuts
But the DJ named Glove has reigned supreme
As the turntable wizard of the hip - hop scene
So listen to him, check him out, but remember this
When The Glove's on the wheels of steel he's Reckless

{Verse 2}

This high - powered music is truly unique
As The Glove cuts the rhythm to the hip - hop beat
He moves like a madman as he spins his disc
He's the number one scratcher on the DJ list, he's Reckless

{Verse 3}

Now I've seen DJ's, too many to name
Some gained recognition and even fame
But when you talk of MC's, Ice-T is the best
And when you talk of DJ's, forget the rest, Glove's Reckless

{Verse 4}

So listen very closely as The Glove throws down
He cuts like a razor to the big beat sound
Dave's layin' down a groove that we know you'll like
With The Glove on the turntables and Ice-T on the mic, we're Reckless

{Verse 5}

So listen to the music, let your mind feel free
Realize you're with the master G - L - O - V - E
Dave and MC Ice-T, you know you're with the best
Because when we're in the mix you know the groove is fresh
And Reckless, Reckless, Reck - Reck - Re - Reckless

Old 02-29-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Un-frickin'-believeable. Gary Payton says he's not happy in LA. He's not happy with his minutes, and he's not happy with the Triangle offense. WTF?

He knew going in that LA is Shaq and Kobe's team. And what offense has Jackson run his entire head coaching career? That's right, the triangle.

This just further enforces the idea that the guys in the NBA, for the most part, don't have a concept of team, and are only interested in the me-first gameplan. His stats this year aren't that far off what he had during his career in Seattle. He's playing about 3 minutes fewer per game, which averages out to 45 seconds per quarter, and is scoring about 4 points fewer per game. I guess he thought he could show up in LA and get the same run of the place like he had in Seattle.

Here's the link to the related story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...vid&id=1746975

I guess all those predictions of a new system, too many egos and too many bumps and bruises are starting to come true. The Lakers aren't as dominant as the hype machine wanted them to be, but I'd still be afraid to meet them in the Playoffs.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:35 AM   #5
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

He's probably more pissed off that he's the only starting Laker who hasn't been sitting out cause of a bum knee or a cut finger and he still can't get 38+ minutes.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:42 AM   #6
LloydLungs
College Prospect

NBA players get bad raps and it's well-deserved for some guys, but people also unfairly paint the whole league with the Payton/AI/Jailblazers brush. There are plenty more good guys in the league than bad. As always, the worst get the headlines.

Sometimes I wonder if Phil Jackson pays guys off to say things like this, so at the end of the year people will hail him as a genius for winning a title with four Hall-of-Famers.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:34 AM   #7
Alf
Pro Starter

When Karl Malone comes back, I expect the lakers to be as dominant as they were early in the season and be the legitimate NBA favorite for the title.

Mr Payton : Isn't winning the NBA title the reason you signed with the lakers ? Stop bitching about you, you, you...
Old 02-29-2004, 11:38 AM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What a surprise, an NBA player bitching, whining, and/or moaning in the media

{FTR, that eye-roll is for Payton, not for your posting}
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:50 AM   #9
Anthony
Banned

payton complained all his previous coaches ran plays for him and let him do his thing on the offense. payton should realize that unfortunately that particular way of doing things never resulted in a championship, and that he should hush up if he wants to win.

but on payton's defense, jackson should run some plays for his point guard - the player who has the ball in his hands the most (in a coventional offense).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 12:01 PM   #10
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
My first thought upon reading the title of this thread was, "What in the world is he talking about??? The L.A. player, M.C. Ice-T, gave The Glove all kinds of love back in the day!"

But that was back in the day, I'm guess his new song for "The Glove" will be, "I am a nightmare walkin, pychopath talkin...." remix.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 12:09 PM   #11
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
But that was back in the day, I'm guess his new song for "The Glove" will be, "I am a nightmare walkin, pychopath talkin...." remix.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:37 PM   #12
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Payton joined the Lakers thinking it would be an easy way to get his ring and never even stopped to think about anything else. Now with Kobe-gate and the team simply not playing as well as predicted I guess those other things he failed to consider suddenly got important. If only something like this can happen to A-Rod and the Yankees.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:25 PM   #13
miami_fan
Coordinator

Check Phil Jackson's history with the triangle offense. It is not designed to make point guards stars or allows them to put up huge numbers. Paxson, Kerr, BJ Armstrong, Derek Fisher.....no big stars....lots of rings though. Payton wants plays ran for him. In that offense the only plays run for the PG is when the PG takes a spot near the three point line and waits for a kick out oops Unfortunately he is not going to get a kick out pass with Kobe driving the lane. But we all knew that before the season started
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:30 PM   #14
MrBug708
Head Coach

Payton knew his points werent coming, but I think he expected to play more.

When Derek Fisher plays better defense though, you need to sit out IMO
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 09:19 PM   #15
tucker342
Pro Starter

I figured Payton would start bitchin eventually... Why can't players just shut the hell up and play for the love of the game??? Hell, they're getting payed millions of dollars each season to play a GAME. There are millions of people that would love to be in their position, but all they do is bitch, moan, and get arrested for smokin crack.

Professional sports really piss me off sometimes...

Last edited by tucker342 : 02-29-2004 at 09:19 PM.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:07 AM   #16
mgadfly
High School Varsity

Payton has to say this. There are millions of dollars on the line, and he has to spin his declining numbers as a product of the system and limited minutes rather than age.

He and his agent are just looking forward to the next pay day, and I imagine that many of us, if millions of dollars were at stake, would try to paint a picture that "it isn't me, it's the system."

I still hate the NBA and about half of the players, but I can understand that this is a business.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 04:14 AM   #17
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
Check Phil Jackson's history with the triangle offense. It is not designed to make point guards stars or allows them to put up huge numbers. Paxson, Kerr, BJ Armstrong, Derek Fisher.....no big stars....lots of rings though. Payton wants plays ran for him. In that offense the only plays run for the PG is when the PG takes a spot near the three point line and waits for a kick out oops Unfortunately he is not going to get a kick out pass with Kobe driving the lane. But we all knew that before the season started

Fine analysis ! And to mention another not so great PG with rings : Ron Harper !
Old 03-01-2004, 08:14 AM   #18
The_herd
College Starter

The Triangle offense is designed to take advantage of a big man and the primary ball handler (Jordan and Pippen/Kobe). Paxon, Kerr, Armstrong, Fisher, and Harper weren't the primary ball handlers, and weren't scorers, and they were never used as traditional point guards. The Triangle took advantage of their ability to spot up and knock down Jumpers. Payton could put up PPG totals similar to what he put up in Seattle, but the offense in LA goes through Kobe. One of the great things about the Triangle is its ability to adapt to the personel playing in it. However, when a certain player refuses to run the offense at times, makes sure he gets his shots first, and ignores most directions from the bench, then you end up with a situation where Payton is not only complaining about his minutes, but the fact that he has to play in an offense he could otherwise thrive in. I'd be willing to bet that Payton would be putting up typical Payton numbers (if not better with Shaq to dump the ball to) if Kobe wasn't in LA.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:48 AM   #19
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_herd
The Triangle offense is designed to take advantage of a big man and the primary ball handler (Jordan and Pippen/Kobe). Paxon, Kerr, Armstrong, Fisher, and Harper weren't the primary ball handlers, and weren't scorers, and they were never used as traditional point guards. The Triangle took advantage of their ability to spot up and knock down Jumpers. Payton could put up PPG totals similar to what he put up in Seattle, but the offense in LA goes through Kobe. One of the great things about the Triangle is its ability to adapt to the personel playing in it. However, when a certain player refuses to run the offense at times, makes sure he gets his shots first, and ignores most directions from the bench, then you end up with a situation where Payton is not only complaining about his minutes, but the fact that he has to play in an offense he could otherwise thrive in. I'd be willing to bet that Payton would be putting up typical Payton numbers (if not better with Shaq to dump the ball to) if Kobe wasn't in LA.

And he did not know that Kobe was
a) not going to run the offense as designed?
b) going to look for his shot first?
c) going to ignore instructions from the bench?
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:56 AM   #20
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog

What ever happened to Chris "The Glove" Taylor???
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:03 AM   #21
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
And he did not know that Kobe was
a) not going to run the offense as designed?
b) going to look for his shot first?
c) going to ignore instructions from the bench?

I'm not defending Payton's pouting, just pointing out that he's the type of player that could thrive in the Triangle. He came to LA knowing all of these things, but he did make a statement shortly after signing about everyone needing to make sacrifices in their game in order for this thing to work. Kobe is definately the one that has sacrificed the least, and I really think this has more to do with frustration on how the offense is being run, than the offense itself. I'm also finding it funny how things are going for a team that many people handed the NBA championship and record for most wins to before the season started.