Old 02-27-2004, 01:19 AM   #1
Franklinnoble
Banned

Kings 103, Lakers 101

Quote:

Sacramento 103, LA Lakers 101

By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
February 27, 2004

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Mike Bibby made two 3-pointers in the final 90 seconds to cap a 31-point performance Thursday night as the Sacramento Kings defeated the Los Angeles Lakers 103-101.

Peja Stojakovic had 37 points and nine rebounds as the Kings won their fourth straight and eighth in nine games despite playing shorthanded. Bibby also had eight rebounds and seven assists.

A 3-pointer by Bibby from the left corner with 1 1/2 minutes remaining gave Sacramento a 100-98 lead, and he added another 3-pointer with 45.2 seconds left to put the Kings ahead by five points.

Kobe Bryant's 3-pointer with 37.8 seconds left drew the Lakers within two points.

After Bibby missed a 3-pointer, the Lakers elected not to call timeout. Bryant used a screen from Shaquille O'Neal to get open, but his 25-footer was short. Bibby rebounded and dribbled out the clock.

The Kings, whose 42-14 record is the NBA's best, extended their lead over the Lakers to six games in the Pacific Division.

Bryant had 35 points, a season-high 11 rebounds and six assists. O'Neal had 24 points and 10 rebounds for the Lakers (36-20), who had won five straight and seven of eight.

The game was the second of four between the teams this season. The Kings beat the Lakers 103-83 in Sacramento last month in a game that O'Neal, Bryant and Karl Malone all sat out because of injuries and Horace Grant missed for personal reasons.

It was the Kings who were short-handed this time, as Brad Miller and Bobby Jackson sat out along with Chris Webber, who is healthy enough to play but on NBA suspension until next Tuesday.

Bryant made a layin with 2:37 remaining to give the Lakers a 96-94 lead. Anthony Peeler's three-point play with 2:04 left put the Kings ahead by one.

O'Neal missed two free throws, but Bryant made a pair with 1:38 to play to give the Lakers a 98-97 lead.

Stojakovic scored five points to spark an 8-1 run, giving the Kings a 92-86 lead with 6:38 remaining. O'Neal then scored six points during an 8-2 run he capped with a dunk, tying the game at 94 with 3:45 left.

Two baskets by Bryant and another by rookie Brian Cook gave the Lakers a 69-59 lead -- the largest of the game for either team.

Led by Stojakovic, who had 18 points in the third quarter, the Kings went on a 21-12 run to finish the period to trim the Lakers' lead to 81-80.

The Lakers led 29-28 entering the second quarter despite seven 3-pointers by the Kings in the opening period -- four by Stojakovic in six tries and three byBibby in four attempts. Los Angeles led 57-49 at intermission.

Notes

Miller hopes to play Sunday when the Kings entertain Phoenix. ``It feels better every day,'' he said of his sprained right foot. ``I'm sick of sitting on the bench. I didn't come here to do that.'' Miller has missed six games since being injured in the All-Star game. ... Cook made his second career start as a replacement for Slava Medvedenko and scored nine points. ... The Lakers play eight of their next 10 games on the road before finishing the regular season with 13 of their last 16 at Staples Center, including a designated road game against the Clippers. ... Sacramento's Gerald Wallace committed a flagrant foul on O'Neal late in the second quarter. ... Actors John Travolta and Uma Thurman were filmed walking around the court during severaltimeouts in the first half for a scene in the upcoming movie ``Be Cool.''

While the Lakers were missing Karl Malone, the Kings were short Bobby Jackson and Brad Miller, and Chris Webber is still out until next week. I think this victory cements the Pacific Division for the Kings - if the Lakers can't beat them at home while they're missing two big men and their best bench player, they're not going to beat them in the playoffs when all three should be healthy.

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 01:24 AM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
While the Lakers were missing Karl Malone, the Kings were short Bobby Jackson and Brad Miller, and Chris Webber is still out until next week. I think this victory cements the Pacific Division for the Kings - if the Lakers can't beat them at home while they're missing two big men and their best bench player, they're not going to beat them in the playoffs when all three should be healthy.

Ah yes, Spoken like a fan who has no idea how big of an inferiority complex the Kings have compared to the Lakers.

Even with the Lakers removed LAST year, what did the Kings do?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:08 AM   #3
mckerney
Coordinator

Kings and T-Wolves in the Western Conference Finals. It will be awesome.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:33 AM   #4
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Go Grizllies fools.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:34 AM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
Kings and T-Wolves in the Western Conference Finals. It will be awesome.

Still betting the house on the WOlves not making it out of the first round. Screw KG and his overpaid self.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 03:43 AM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

Yo? Yao...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:25 AM   #7
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Ah yes, Spoken like a fan who has no idea how big of an inferiority complex the Kings have compared to the Lakers.

Even with the Lakers removed LAST year, what did the Kings do?

They lost to Dallas... AFTER Chris Webber blew his knee out.

I'm more worried about the Spurs than any other team in the west right now.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 12:40 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Yo? Yao...
Finally starting to look consistent this month. The only losses are at SA, at Dal, and vs SA, iirc. The Hawks game was a bit of a scare, but I had a blast watching the scores for the come in on Yahoo. Every time I would be worried, bam, a huge shot! That was as much fun as I could have just reading a box score. I would have killed to hear Gene that night.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-27-2004 at 12:40 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote