Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2004, 07:17 AM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Kerry's running mate?

Assuming Kerry holds on through super teusday and wins the Dem nomination,who sould be his running mate VP chose?I have read some of those being considered are:
Dick Gephardt
Evan Bayh
Senator Max Cleland
John Edwards
Arlen Specter(YES he is a republican but is very left swinging)
Wesley Clark
Hilary Clinton
and get this Al Gore

anyone else?

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:25 AM   #2
Jon
High School Varsity

I don't think it will be Al Gore. Or Hillary Clinton. Two NE "liberal" senators won't go over well. I've heard Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico. It makes sense since he's more moderate than Kerry and he has executive experience. But, to make it interesting, Kerry should pull an Adlai Stevenson a la 1956 and throw it to the convention.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:56 AM   #3
Easy Mac

Edwards could help him some in the South, but probably not enough to make a difference, unless the job market dips even more in a few of the Southern states. I know SC is pretty disenchanted, and I think it would be interesting to see if Edwards could work his magic as a "local" boy.

Gephardt may be enough to pull Missouri for Kerry, and he only needs 1 more state than Gore to win the election (assuming he can pull out the same states as Gore)

The others are a no.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:04 AM   #4
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

given that Arlen Spector is co-chairman of the Bush-Cheney 2004 campaign in Pennsylvania, hopefully we can cross him off the list as Kerry's running mate....
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:10 AM   #5
Easy Mac

I read there was talk that Cheney would step down and not run again. Not sure how real what I read was, but basically they feel that since he isn't running for President later, that he has too much baggage heading into another campaign.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:17 AM   #6
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I read there was talk that Cheney would step down and not run again. Not sure how real what I read was, but basically they feel that since he isn't running for President later, that he has too much baggage heading into another campaign.
...setting up Condy vs. Hillary in '08?
Old 02-25-2004, 08:21 AM   #7
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
given that Arlen Spector is co-chairman of the Bush-Cheney 2004 campaign in Pennsylvania, hopefully we can cross him off the list as Kerry's running mate....

arlen specter & kerry?
Old 02-25-2004, 08:24 AM   #8
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog

If there was ever an election where I would vote for Nader... Both of those people scare the shit out of me... There fucking bulldogs.

But seriously, I had to read "Bush at War" and thought it was a great book. Condi came off great in that book, very level-headed but also a little too emotional. But whenever you see her on TV, she looks ready to decapitate someone. I was thinking of starting a thread to discuss the book.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:24 AM   #9
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:

Sweeeeeet. I'd love to see Cheney replaced with Condi.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:24 AM   #10
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

dola: I don't think it will happen, but I'd love to see it.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:28 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

I seriously doubt it, too, but it would certainly be interesting.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:28 AM   #12
Easy Mac

I like Colin Powell
Old 02-25-2004, 08:34 AM   #13
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I like Colin Powell
Hard not to. He'd definitely be considered a moderate. If he ever did decide to run for President, I'd have to think he'd win fairly easily.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:37 AM   #14
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril

I agree that it's a completely lame article, but you're missing the point. He's trying to take a jab at Spector by saying he's so liberal he should be Kerry's running mate. He's not serious. Spector works for Bush's campaign.

"I want to thank Arlen Specter, who is the state campaign co-chairman for Bush-Cheney '04," Mr. Bush said to a room full of well-heeled supporters. "I look forward to working with him as the chairman of the Judiciary Committee in the United States Senate to make sure my judges get through and appointed....Mr. Bush also has dispatched Vice President Dick Cheney and Chief of Staff Andrew H. Card Jr. to Pennsylvania to campaign for Mr. Specter..."
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...0240-2510r.htm
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:41 AM   #15
Dutch
"Dutch"

Who the heck else does the Republican Party have other than a Rice/Powell ticket in 2008? I'd vote for that in a heartbeat!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:49 AM   #16
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Who the heck else does the Republican Party have...
Well, right now, only one other person comes to mind--Giuliani. Lott screwed himself, and Frist doesn't have the recognition that Rice, Giuliani and Powell all have.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:49 AM   #17
Galaril
Pro Starter

Ah DUH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
I agree that it's a completely lame article, but you're missing the point. He's trying to take a jab at Spector by saying he's so liberal he should be Kerry's running mate. He's not serious. Spector works for Bush's campaign.

"I want to thank Arlen Specter, who is the state campaign co-chairman for Bush-Cheney '04," Mr. Bush said to a room full of well-heeled supporters. "I look forward to working with him as the chairman of the Judiciary Committee in the United States Senate to make sure my judges get through and appointed....Mr. Bush also has dispatched Vice President Dick Cheney and Chief of Staff Andrew H. Card Jr. to Pennsylvania to campaign for Mr. Specter..."
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...0240-2510r.htm

N ow boy do I feel dumb.Holy shit Yabanci you are 100% correct,it was a rip on Specter liberalism.It's midnight here in Korea and I just finished working an 18 hour day and I am half a sleep.That's what you get for not reading thru to the end.I thought that sounded fucked.Thanks for not ridiculing my mediocre reading skills.

Last edited by Galaril : 02-25-2004 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:59 AM   #18
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Well, right now, only one other person comes to mind--Giuliani. Lott screwed himself, and Frist doesn't have the recognition that Rice, Giuliani and Powell all have.

To me, mayors should not be running for President, of course, Teddy Roosevelt was Mayor of New York.

Lott and Frist aren't Presidential Material anyway. Most Senator's don't end up making good candidates for office.

I just don't see any other real choices.

Last edited by Dutch : 02-25-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:19 AM   #19
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Bill Owens?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:21 AM   #20
Aylmar
High School Varsity

JC Watts would make a fine Republican candidate...if they can convince him to get back into a public office.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:54 AM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who the heck else does the Republican Party have other than a Rice/Powell ticket in 2008?

4 years is a LIFETIME in politics. Some first term governors right now could be on the ballot in 2008. After all, in 1996, who though W Bush was going to be the Republican nominee 4 years later? Same goes for Clinton in 1988.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:57 AM   #22
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Powell/Watts - greatness
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:03 AM   #23
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
Powell/Watts - greatness

JC is a tremendous individual, both personally and politically. He's one of my favorite people to talk to, and I'd love to see him on the ticket in 2008.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:16 AM   #24
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Actually, if I had to bet on who will be the Republican candidate in 2008, I would put my money on Jeb Bush. But I would much rather see Rice or Watts get the nod.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:20 AM   #25
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
Bill Owens?

Yes, there is quite a bit of talk about Owens, the very popular Colorado governor, running in 2008.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:22 AM   #26
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:

Someone I know who works for the Republicans said that she heard rumors that Cheney would be dumped by Guiliani.....

As for Colin Powell, I don't think he would get the nomination. The party activists would not support him.

Ryche, I heard a rumor about Jeb Bush in '08 as well.

Last edited by Jon : 02-25-2004 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:25 AM   #27
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
4 years is a LIFETIME in politics. Some first term governors right now could be on the ballot in 2008. After all, in 1996, who though W Bush was going to be the Republican nominee 4 years later? Same goes for Clinton in 1988.

You are right. As for Clinton, however, despite his disastrous 1988 speech, the top Democratic brass knew that he was going to run in 1992. In fact, he considered a trial run in 1988, but decided against it.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:33 AM   #28
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

What about Tom Daschle, either now or in '08?

Skydog, your comment amazes me. You think that Powell would win easily if he ran. If this is true, America has come a long way in the fight against discrimination.

Powell is my personal favorite regardless of party. I might actually campaign for him if he decided to run.

Is Cleeland still popular in the south? He seems like he might be a good running mate for Kerry.

I think a Powell / McCain ticket would kick ass over all others.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:37 AM   #29
druez
Banned

Newt in 2008 all the way.

Seriously, I would like a Kerry Lieberman ticket in 2004. Liberman is by far the best democratic canadiate out there if you ask me.
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:39 AM   #30
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I had all but taken for granted that Edwards would be Kerry's running mate, on the grounds that Edwards' populist image would help offset Kerry's "aloofness".
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:39 AM   #31
Jon
High School Varsity

Even though I'm a Democrat, I like Colin Powell myself. In fact, I think he'd have a better shot getting the Democratic nomination than the Republican one. And I suspect he could switch parties with no problem, indicating that his service in the miltary and as Secretary of State was service to the nation.

As for Tom Daschle, my god...........

I like Bill Richardson.......

(edited to include Bill Richardson line).

Last edited by Jon : 02-25-2004 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:42 AM   #32
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Graham from Florida has been mentioned as aVP candidate.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:46 AM   #33
Senator

2020 Election

Harold Ford Jr. (D) Tenn. vs.
Adam Putnam (R) Fla.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 02-25-2004, 10:55 AM   #34
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
2020 Election

Adam Putnam (R) Fla.

With Lyndon LaRouche challenging Ford in the primaries, Harold Stassen's grave challengin Putnam in the primaries. .....

In 2020 general election news, Ralph Nader announced a seventh run for the presidency today. When asked if he why he continues to run, especially after being outpolled by Paris Hilton in 2016, Nader stated, with drool runnign down his chin, "I feel that my message will finally resonate with the people. Why are you asking that question? You must be part of the corporate elite!" To which the reply came, "sorry grandpa, I just wanted to know."

Last edited by Jon : 02-25-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:56 AM   #35
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
2020 Election

Adam Putnam (R) Fla.

I have a college buddy who works in Ford's office. He is planning to stay close to the Representative in the coming years.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:59 AM   #36
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
Skydog, your comment amazes me. You think that Powell would win easily if he ran. If this is true, America has come a long way in the fight against discrimination.
As has been pointed out, Powell is so close to the center that he could run from either party. There is still true-blue racism out there, to be sure, but I have a feeling that his appeal to the center, combined with the "extra" minority votes he'd no doubt get in some key states, would cancel out (and probably outweigh) the dyed-in-the-wool racists who would vote against him just because of his race.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:05 AM   #37
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

the problem with Powell as a candidate is that (if you believe the scuttlebutt) his wife would never allow it to happen. In fact, there's a school of thought that Powell will step down as SecState after the 2004 elections, not because of any disagreements with the administration, but because he wants to be a good husband.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:09 AM   #38
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I swore I heard Powell say in an interview that he would never run for President because of fears for his safety. You would have to assume that with a black President that the loons would go crazy and really try some stuff.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:14 AM   #39
Senator

Powell did say that, and I have been told for the last 10 years his wife is totally against the Presidency run.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:19 AM   #40
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Powell is too close to the middle to be nominated by either party in any case. The only way I could see him becoming president is via the vice presidency. I don't think he is interested in being a politician.

On the thread topic, another name I heard mentioned as a Kerry running mate is Bob Kerrey to provide the ultimate veteran's ticket.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:44 AM   #41
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
the problem with Powell as a candidate is that (if you believe the scuttlebutt) his wife would never allow it to happen. In fact, there's a school of thought that Powell will step down as SecState after the 2004 elections, not because of any disagreements with the administration, but because he wants to be a good husband.

School of thought? I heard it's a given, with Condi in as both SecState and NSA (ala Kissinger). Too much bad blood between State Dept and Defense Dept. Damn politicians.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:49 AM   #42
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Afoci
I swore I heard Powell say in an interview that he would never run for President because of fears for his safety. You would have to assume that with a black President that the loons would go crazy and really try some stuff.
Reminds me of Chris Rock's joke about how you could never have a black VP, because "some brother would just shoot the president".
Old 02-25-2004, 12:10 PM   #43
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:

I heard the same thing. When his book came out in the mid 90s, there was talk of him running. I heard his wife basically told him that if he ran, she would leave him. His publishing company, however, would not let him discount the rumors right away, since it increased book sales.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:17 PM   #44
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Reminds me of Chris Rock's joke about how you could never have a black VP, because "some brother would just shoot the president".

I ::heart:: Chris Rock
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:26 PM   #45
sooner333
College Starter

Well, I think that if Largent didn't have his head up his ass in Oklahoma in 2002, he would be on the ticket in '08, but I guess now we're going to have to find someone else to bring up front. I like Watts (my former congressman) and I also like Rice and Powell too. And, basically, I would vote just about anybody in over Hillary.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:32 PM   #46
Easy Mac

Yeah, if Powell runs his wife leads... and we definitely have not progressed enough as a nation to have an all black ticket. Not my own belief, but its pretty obvious.

And only Easy Mac could completely steer a discussion of the Democratic to one about the Republican ticket.

And Bush will lose a lot of neutral support if Powell leaves. Most people already thing Powell has basically been forced out, and I don't think Bush can afford to confirm it... of course, if he wins he doesn't worry about re-election so who cares.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:40 PM   #47
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
I like Colin Powell

I used to really like him, but I lost alot of respect for him during the lead up to the war with Iraq
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:43 PM   #48
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker342
I used to really like him, but I lost alot of respect for him during the lead up to the war with Iraq

Read Bush at War. I lost some respect for him before reading the book, but it makes it clear that he was only doing what he had to do for the best of the country.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:07 PM   #49
Ben E Lou

Ironic. Watts is on Hannity's radio show today. (Taped earlier today, but on in Atlanta right now.)
Old 02-25-2004, 05:38 PM   #50
Galaril
Pro Starter

Back on topic please ;democratic running mates.Bush running matesv is not what this thread was about wrong thread .Sorry I am hijacking this thread back.