Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2004, 04:17 PM   #1
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Starting a new game

Has anyone ever started a new game where you have a 53 round draft and all players are thrown in? I liked this at first, but it is incredibly easy to walk away with a power team right from scratch. It seems there is a run on T and DE, where I can for the first 5 rounds take the s\best player at other positions while compuer teams take the 23rd best DE or T. Its also easy to stock up on rookies that would be first round picks if it were just a rookie draft. I have started games where I set the ratings and the computer drafts my team and its nowhere near as good. Wrs arent ever drafted befoer the 5th round or so. It was cool at first but you have to either set major house rules or accept that your QB, Ts and DEs will e subpar, and you will be loaded everywhere else. Plus after the first year you are so loaded with young superstars in the making you can trade for what you dont have. Also, for 2-3 years after the draft FA doesnt exist because every team is over the cap.

Noble_Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
Karim
College Starter

The fact that we could start with an allocation draft was a huge selling point for me. It enables me right from the start to have an affinity with every player on the roster.

I didn't find it too easy at all. While I was able to draft a solid team right away that got to the NFC Championship the first two years, I wasn't overwhelming the league by any means and have yet to win it all although the core is pretty much intact.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:45 PM   #3
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I still want expansion teams
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
Hurst2112
College Starter

The only time i used a draft in the beginning of a career, i won the first 3 bowls and 5 out of the first 9 bowls. Granted, I couldn't keep my team together for more than 10 years, but it was a pleasant change of pace instead of trying to build a winner.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:41 PM   #5
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I like the chalege of building a winner. I find that once you get a good team that you win almost no matter what. I had a great team that was killing people, then my starting QB, RB, and DE got hurt. There were also several other positions hit with injury. My backups were scrubs, yet I still continued to score and win at the same pace.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:27 PM   #6
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

When I start from scratch my house rule is to only draft rookies or second year guys.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:02 AM   #7
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I have done that, but in a few years my team is strong and as I said, Most of my starters can be hurt and I still score and win at the same pace. Its as if your team rating determines whether you win or lose, and even if your top guys dont play it doesnt matter.