Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What bothers you the most about crappy drivers?
Talk on a cell phone while driving 19 19.59%
Run red lights or stop signs 12 12.37%
Exploit a lane closure before finally merging 17 17.53%
4. Drive recklessly (violent lane changing, speeding, etc.) 6 6.19%
Throw trash out of their car 4 4.12%
Use lanes improperly 2 2.06%
Drive too slow 13 13.40%
Use a turn signal improperly (or not at all) 13 13.40%
Take forever to turn 1 1.03%
Merge improperly 5 5.15%
Play their car stereo ridiculously loud 0 0%
Perform other idiotic behavior (specify) 5 5.15%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2004, 04:00 PM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Angry I Hate When Other Drivers _____!

Well, after a recent series of near-misses and staggeringly stupid incidents by other drivers, I've had to move "drive while talking on a cell phone" to the top of my own list. Numbers 2 & 3 rank right up there close, though.

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:02 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

...don't use their turn signal.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:03 PM   #3
TredWel
High School Varsity

...stop at an intersection when they don't have a stop sign, and then impatiently wave you on.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:06 PM   #4
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Toss up between take forever to turn or drive too slow.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:07 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've had two different close calls from cars running a red light.. almost got plastered last night by a car that flew through a red light a full 2 seconds after it turned red.. the car appeared to be doing at least 50 and missed my front end by a foot or two only cause I was looking and slammed my brakes. Fortunately no one was behind me. So, this is currently on the top of my list, along with driving intoxicated.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Oh yea and also takng their turn at a stop sign when it is not their turn. I hate that.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:10 PM   #7
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I've had two different close calls from cars running a red light.. almost got plastered last night by a car that flew through a red light a full 2 seconds after it turned red.. the car appeared to be doing at least 50 and missed my front end by a foot or two only cause I was looking and slammed my brakes.
This has become a chronic problem in the St. Louis area in recent years. There are several intersections where you can bet money someone will run it every damn time.

Quote:
Fortunately no one was behind me. So, this is currently on the top of my list, along with driving intoxicated.
I intentionally left drunk driving off the list because that's in a category by itself, IMO.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:11 PM   #8
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Well, after a recent series of near-misses and staggeringly stupid incidents by other drivers, I've had to move "drive while talking on a cell phone" to the top of my own list. Numbers 2 & 3 rank right up there close, though.

I was thinking about this a lot the other day as a guy was screaming at me from his car because I was driving while on my cell phone. (It was odd considering it's not like we even almost had an accident or anything. He was sitting at the light in the lane next to me. Glanced over and noticed I was on the phone and just started yelling.)

Anyway I don't even like talking on the phone while I am driving, but my job requires it. We have emergencies and customer situations that demand I deal with them sometimes right away regardless of where I am. So I could take the moral stand that I will not talk while driving, but then they will just find someone who will.

So then people usually give me the argument that I could pull over to the side of the road while I am talking. Again this not always possible with the work I do. So I guess what I am saying is I didn't appreciate you cursing at me out the window Coug. What do you want me to do?
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #9
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
This has become a chronic problem in the St. Louis area in recent years. There are several intersections where you can bet money someone will run it every damn time.

Like every damn intersection on Manchester Rd.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

Where is the "All of the above" option?

How about this scenario. You're waiting at a red light, it turns green and you start to go, but the idiot coming the opposite way turns in front of you (to make a left turn). I swear, I feel like just pressing on the gas and if we hit, we hit. I hate when they can't wait the few seconds for me to pass them for them to make their turn.

I see this and other cases where people turn in front of traffic (or despite it) because they want to shave a few seconds off their commute. Why are people so impatient? I swear, one of these days I'm just going to go head first into one of these idiots. It'll probably wreck my piece of crap car, but then I'll just say thanks for the new car with the money from my insurance and I hope you enjoy your insurance at triple the rate (and I live in NJ, insurance is sky high as it is).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:16 PM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
So then people usually give me the argument that I could pull over to the side of the road while I am talking. Again this not always possible with the work I do. So I guess what I am saying is I didn't appreciate you cursing at me out the window Coug. What do you want me to do?

How about getting one of those hands-free devices for your phone?
Old 02-24-2004, 04:18 PM   #12
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
How about getting one of those hands-free devices for your phone?

I have one. This guy was still pissed. Although is that really the issue? I have never understood how they help. I always thought the problem was the talking distracting you. Not having to hold the phone.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:19 PM   #13
heybrad
Norm!!!

I'd like to take the opposite look at your 4th choice. There are idiots who refuse to let anybody in when a lane is merging.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:22 PM   #14
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Like every damn intersection on Manchester Rd.
Yup.

Well, prime, with all due respect...you're making excuses for driving what amounts to a deadly weapon while distracted by emergency work business? I would flip-flop the scenario then and say that you shouldn't be driving while talking on the phone, rather than not talking on the phone while driving. That's just not a valid reason to endanger everyone else on the road.

Nothing personal. Don't road rage my ass.

And that wasn't me. I was the one behind you with my arms in the air going "WTF?!?"
Old 02-24-2004, 04:26 PM   #15
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Well, prime, with all due respect...you're making excuses for driving what amounts to a deadly weapon while distracted by emergency work business? I would flip-flop the scenario then and say that you shouldn't be driving while talking on the phone, rather than not talking on the phone while driving. That's just not a valid reason to endanger everyone else on the road.

I'm not so much making excuses as I am just stating facts. If I am not willing to do that then my employers would find someone who is and I have to make a living. So it is what it is. I don't know that I have much choice.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:26 PM   #16
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Nothing pisses me off more then sitting at a busy intersection and there is a small gap that I could have made if the bastard had used his turn signal. Instead I sit and watch this bastard turning knowning I could have made it if I saw he was turning.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:27 PM   #17
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not so much making excuses as I am just stating facts. If I am not willing to do that then my employers would find someone who is and I have to make a living. So it is what it is. I don't know that I have much choice.

*cough*hands-free device*cough*
Old 02-24-2004, 04:30 PM   #18
primelord
Pro Rookie

As far as the things that annoy me go. The running red lights is a big one with me as well. A good friend's sister died in a car accident when a guy came barrelling through a red light. After that point I immediately start to slow at yellow lights even when I know I can easily make it (which also pisses people off. ). I just realized I am never in so much of a hurry that I have to run a red light and possibly kill someone.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:30 PM   #19
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
I was thinking about this a lot the other day as a guy was screaming at me from his car because I was driving while on my cell phone. (It was odd considering it's not like we even almost had an accident or anything. He was sitting at the light in the lane next to me. Glanced over and noticed I was on the phone and just started yelling.)

Anyway I don't even like talking on the phone while I am driving, but my job requires it. We have emergencies and customer situations that demand I deal with them sometimes right away regardless of where I am. So I could take the moral stand that I will not talk while driving, but then they will just find someone who will.

Pull over to the side of the road to take the call. The studies have shown the hands free devices are only marginally safer then talking on the regular hand held phone. The real problem stems from the driver being distracted or engaged in the conversation.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:31 PM   #20
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
*cough*hands-free device*cough*

Apparently you missed my first response to you where I stated I have one.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:31 PM   #21
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottVib
Pull over to the side of the road to take the call. The studies have shown the hands free devices are only marginally safer then talking on the regular hand held phone. The real problem stems from the driver being distracted or engaged in the conversation.

Again easier said than done when you are resolving one issue on the phone while driving out to resolve another one on site.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:32 PM   #22
sabotai
General Manager

Marginally safer is still safer. (And in some states, it's the difference between legal and illegal)
Old 02-24-2004, 04:32 PM   #23
ScottVib
High School Varsity

The one I hate most is when there is a right turn lane complete with seperate turn off. And the idiot in front of me leaves a two car length gap in front of them, resulting in their blocking of the turn off so I can make my turn. Simply pulling up would open it, but they don't.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:33 PM   #24
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Apparently you missed my first response to you where I stated I have one.

....yes I did. I'll go flog myself now as punishment.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:34 PM   #25
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Again easier said than done when you are resolving one issue on the phone while driving out to resolve another one on site.
Point your company to the lawsuit that an accident victim won against a different company when it was shown the women who hit the victim was on her cellphone on a work related call at the time of the accident.

Last edited by ScottVib : 02-24-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:35 PM   #26
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Point your company to the lawsuit that an accident victim won against a different company when it was shown the women who hit the victim was on her cellphone on a work related call at the time of the accident.

I just may have to do that.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:36 PM   #27
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Turn signal. You'd think it would be easy, but apparently this is one of the most difficult operations to master. I guess i'm a natural.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:37 PM   #28
sabotai
General Manager

Another thing I hate is when you're driving and in the distance you see someone stop at a stop sign at in interesection and they wait...and then when you get close, they decide then that they can make it and go, usually resolting in you having to hit your brakes and hope that the person behind you is quick with their reflexes.

And I hate when I'm driving in the right lane on a highway, already doing a little over the speed limit and someone speeds up behind me, proceeds to stay behind me at about 0.25 car lengths for a good minute before finally deciding to pass me.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:39 PM   #29
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
I just may have to do that.
Here's an article that touches on one settlement 500K from the business to the victim.

http://www.berrymoorman.com/articles...cellphone.html

And another more costly one (30 million)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...one-usat_x.htm

Last edited by ScottVib : 02-24-2004 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:40 PM   #30
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
The one I hate most is when there is a right turn lane complete with seperate turn off. And the idiot in front of me leaves a two car length gap in front of them, resulting in their blocking of the turn off so I can make my turn. Simply pulling up would open it, but they don't.
Oh yeah. That would qualify under "Uses lanes improperly." Along with someone in the regular lane slowing down to turn left and ignoring the left turn lane. Grrrr.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:42 PM   #31
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
And I hate when I'm driving in the right lane on a highway, already doing a little over the speed limit and someone speeds up behind me, proceeds to stay behind me at about 0.25 car lengths for a good minute before finally deciding to pass me.

There's no excuse for that.

However, I hate it when idiots are driving two over the speed limit in the fast lane and won't move over so that I can pass them. If you're in the fast lane and someone is coming up behind you, move over to the other lane. I don't care how fast you're going, or if you think the person behind you is driving too fast, just switch fucking lanes!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:43 PM   #32
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Here's an article that touches on one settlement 500K from the business to the victim.

http://www.berrymoorman.com/articles...cellphone.html

And another more costly one (30 million)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...one-usat_x.htm

Well I won't really need the information now as it was actually my last job that required me to talk while I was driving. I am not in that situation anymore, but it seemed easier to make the point as if I was still in that situation.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:44 PM   #33
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Out here in Tucson, retirement-community extraordinaire, we have so many different ways of getting pissed at drivers that it boggles the mind. One of the worst, however, is that of the obviously demented/ having- a-stroke / falling-asleep-at-the-wheel / probably-legally-blind-but-will-be-damned-if-they'll-submit-to-a-vision-test elderly driver careening wildly from one lane to another. It really gets scary out here sometimes.

Layer on top of that the fact that his is a college town, so we've got more than our share of careless youngsters zipping about. And the native Tucsonans don't have much experience driving in poor weather, so when it does rain they have no clue how to handle it (besides simply driving faster, apparently).

At least the snowbirds and college students go away during the summer.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:45 PM   #34
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
However, I hate it when idiots are driving two over the speed limit in the fast lane and won't move over so that I can pass them. If you're in the fast lane and someone is coming up behind you, move over to the other lane. I don't care how fast you're going, or if you think the person behind you is driving too fast, just switch fucking lanes!

Again reversing the situation I can't stand when I am in the fast lane, but not going particularly fast because it is rush hour traffic and there is nowhere to go. And some guy comes flying up behind me within a quarter car length and stays there like if I managed to squeeze into the other lane he would have open road the rest of the way home.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:49 PM   #35
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I tend to think of them as "point of least resistance" drivers - they press ahead as much as they can, changing lanes only if they can proceed another car-length, and tailgate at all times. Hate 'em.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:52 PM   #36
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I tend to think of them as "point of least resistance" drivers - they press ahead as much as they can, changing lanes only if they can proceed another car-length, and tailgate at all times. Hate 'em.

Certainly makes one long for a trunk-mounted bazooka, doesn't it?

Bazooka. That's fun to say. Say it - ba-zoo-ka. BA-ZOO-KA!

Hehe.

I need a nap.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:54 PM   #37
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I'd prefer a sh*t cannon. Drive like a twit? Have a barrage of dog turds.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:55 PM   #38
tucker342
Pro Starter

I wish we could pick more than one option...

But I hate it when people run red lights or stop signs...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:55 PM   #39
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

Sometimes I find myself in the left lane. Usually when I'm in the middle lane and use the left to pass someone. A lot of the times there will end up being someone behind me that needs to go fast. Because of this need, they don't give me an f'n chance to move over. I'll get passed the guy I'm passing, put my right turn signal on to indicate that I will be moving over, but before I can the guy behind me slams on the accelerator and goes into the middle lane and passes me. Usually almost hitting me and the guy I just passed.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:59 PM   #40
sabotai
General Manager

I love it when I see someone in heavy traffic changing lanes a lot, while I'll just sit in one. Usually I end up passing the guy and leaving him behind as he searches for ways to get into a different lane.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:08 PM   #41
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I could go on and on and on and on....i would be here a week if i got into this. Unfortunetly i must leave in 30 minutes to spend the week putting up with all this shit. But number 1 for me is people never use thier turn signal anymore. Because this combined with other things is just dangerous and atleast very rude:

Talking on cellphone w/o hands free so they can't use signal

Change lanes without using signal, or try to and get pissed because you didn't let them in, even though you never knew they wanted to get over because they didn't use thier signal

Take forever to turn, and they don't signal when doing it. I can't stop very well in my truck, if you are taking forever to turn off a highway, and i can't tell what you are doing or which way you may go, it can end up bad.

ok, i haven't stopped yet! i gotta go to work. see when i pass through, use you frickin signal!
Old 02-24-2004, 05:27 PM   #42
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Unless you were mentally including it under #4, I don't know how you managed to leave out "tail-gating".

That, more than any other single thing, is why I stopped carrying a gun regularly -- sooner or later I was going to snap completely & kill some bumper-riding asshole who desperately needed it.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:59 PM   #43
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well I won't really need the information now as it was actually my last job that required me to talk while I was driving. I am not in that situation anymore, but it seemed easier to make the point as if I was still in that situation.

Was your job really worth risking the lives of the people around you?
Old 02-24-2004, 06:03 PM   #44
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My main annoyances with modern drivers falls into the "my 3 seconds is worth far more than the 60 seconds I'm going to cost the 15 other people nearby" attitude. For example:

You're in the left lane, they come flying up behind, zip into the right lane, zip back in front of you, and immediately zip over into the turn lane, risking an accident to save 5 seconds.

They miss a turn and decide to stop, blocking traffic, so they can make a left turn across incoming traffic to get where they are going, rather than driving up to the light, making a turn, and doubling back.

Using a lane closure (or better yet the emergency lane between highway exits) to move up 10 spaces in the line. Don't they understand that this just makes the backup worse? Since this is the only one on the list it's the one I voted for.

Pull into a crowded parking lot (the University of South Florida Credit Union lot is the inspiration for this), but instead of hunting for a spot you pull up to the curb, park, and run up to the ATM. Bonus points for opening your door just as the person behind you starts to go around you so they can park legally...

Those are my favorite driving peeves. The cell phone one only bothers me when I see them having trouble staying in their lane, going about 10 miles per hour under the limit, etc.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:13 PM   #45
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Here's one I hate...

Busy, multi-lane road. Traffic moving reasonably well. Some poor schmoe is hoping to make a left out of a driveway, but he's basically screwed because there's no chance for him to cut all the way across oncoming traffic. So he waits.

And then... some hero in the right-hand lane decides to slow down and let this guy go through. Now it's bad enough that this good samaratin has decided that everyone behind him will have to wait while he does his good deed for the day. That's annoying, but not so bad.

But... with more than one lane, it's downright dangerous. I've seen it happen too many times. The guy who wants to make the left realizes what's happening, pulls out while doing that nice guy "thanks buddy" smile, and inevitably edges right into the next lane which hasn't stopped. Of course, he doesn't think of this because he's being waved along. And the guy doing the waving apparently doesn't realize that he doesn't control all the lanes. Let's hope the guy who's zipping along in the fast lane, minding his own business, has good reflexes when the side of a car appears in his lane without warning.

Folks, we all want to be nice guys, but please don't take it upon yourself to direct traffic. If someone can't make a left, that's their problem. Let them make a right and find a light to turn at. Your little feel-good traffic cop moment can get someone killed.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:24 PM   #46
MJ4H
Coordinator

I hate it when I'm passing someone and they speed up. Dammit it's not a freakin race.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:28 PM   #47
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Tailgating is my biggest pet peeve. This is a far more dangerous activity than speeding, yet receives a fraction of the attention from policemen.

Another one that bugs me are people who insist on driving in the far left lane at the same speed as the rest of traffic. Look folks, the rule is keep right except to pass. It's not your job to play civilian speed patrol and prevent people behind you from speeding. Simply pull over and let those that wish to drive faster go by rather than slowing down the whole freakin' freeway.

As for the cellphone use while driving thing, IMO this gets a much worse rap than it deserves. Are there jerks that can't handle doing both? You bet. Are there responsible drivers that can do both reasonably well? Yep. I don't doubt that talking on the phone lessens your attention while driving, but there are any number of other things that do the same thing but are perfectly legal, like getting really absorbed by what's on the stereo/radio, talking with passengers in your car, removing a tape/CD from your stereo, etc.

I think part of the demonization of cell-phone use while driving stems from an overarching dislike of cell-phones in general by certain people. I'm sure many can point to anecdotal examples of some idiot driving badly while talking on a cell-phone, but never really notice those that are driving competently while talking on a cell-phone, and I doubt any of these people agitating for restrictions on driving while talking on a cell-phone are also agitating for laws restricting things like shaving while driving, applying makeup while driving, talking with passengers while driving, etc.

The bottom line is this - there' no need to put another law on the books specifically dealing with cell-phones. If someone is driving like an idiot while talking on a cell-phone, hit them with a reckless driving charge or whatever gets applied in any other case where a driver is obviously allowing themselves to be dangerously distracted while driving. I'll end my rant now - flame away...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:31 PM   #48
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
I'll end my rant now - flame away...

If my own experiences online are any indication, you'll definitely get blasted ... but it won't be by me.

I agree with your post darned near completely.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:37 PM   #49
Tigercat
College Starter

Turn signal. By far. HOW HARD IS IT? My god. It takes a split second, and it can save you from a wreck. Other people have to know what the hell you are up to. The worst part is its a huge portion of the population that goes out of its way not to use the turn signal.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:44 PM   #50
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Are there responsible drivers that can do both reasonably well? Yep.

All of the studies done on cell-phone use and driving I have seen do not support your answer to this question.