Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Real or Hoax

Inside View
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:36 PM   #2
Lucky Jim
Mascot

Either way. Point taken.
Lucky Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I get nothing from that link...
Old 02-24-2004, 02:55 PM   #4
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Nothing comes up for me

noop
Old 02-24-2004, 02:55 PM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Hoax it is then...
Old 02-24-2004, 03:07 PM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

That's gotta hurt...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 03:32 PM   #7
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I saw it now. Looks like that man has some good farts.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:03 PM   #8
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Jim
Either way. Point taken.

Good point.

That said, I think it's real - as someone that knows a lot about special effects, I'd be very impressed if this were faked.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:07 PM   #9
tucker342
Pro Starter

ouch... not wearing a seatbeat is one of the stupidest things someone can do...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:49 PM   #10
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

I want the story behind that wreck. I can't imagine that guy survived if it's real.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:59 PM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

After studying physics somewhat I'd want to sa hoax. Not sure how they supposed accident would have happened, but for him to be thrown back like that there would have to be a rapid accelleration, not the decelleration that you'd expect with most crashes, which would throw him into the windshield. Centripital forces in a spin out could possibly account for it, though I'm not sure how likely that is to cause him to fly over the seat. Plus the way it seemed the car Throw in the lack of decent visability outside the windows due to brightness (at just before 8 in the morning), and the fact that it's little more than a shockwave file on some radio stations website, I'm not going to view it as real.

I have to say hoax without any kind of proof, though I never really was all that good at physics.

Last edited by mckerney : 02-24-2004 at 06:08 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:09 PM   #12
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

As someone who studied physics, you should know better than to use the word "deceleration."
Old 02-24-2004, 06:11 PM   #13
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
As someone who studied physics, you should know better than to use the word "deceleration."

Like I said, I wasn't very good at it.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:12 PM   #14
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
After studying physics somewhat I'd want to sa hoax. Not sure how they supposed accident would have happened, but for him to be thrown back like that there would have to be a rapid accelleration, not the decelleration that you'd expect with most crashes, which would throw him into the windshield. Centripital forces in a spin out could possibly account for it, though I'm not sure how likely that is to cause him to fly over the seat. Plus the way it seemed the car Throw in the lack of decent visability outside the windows due to brightness (at just before 8 in the morning), and the fact that it's little more than a shockwave file on some radio stations website, I'm not going to view it as real.

I have to say hoax without any kind of proof, though I never really was all that good at physics.

The way I'm reading the physics on this one is that he nodded off for a split-second, hit something on the front/driver's side of the car which started the spin (and caused him to lurch forward), then while spinning the rear/passenger's side of the car struck something hard enough to stop the momentum of the car, thus tossing him over the seat and in the back of the car.

I'll repeat - it would be a lot of work to fake this and make it look as seamless as it does. And, I don't think that impact was enough to kill him - give him a good head injury yes, maybe break some bones, but not kill him.

I'm guessing it's real, and he agreed to release the footage as a warning to others not to be as stupid as him - wear your damn seatbelt!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:26 PM   #15
rexallllsc
Banned

The dude is wearing a Dale Earnhardt shirt...and how did they get a camera in his car?
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:45 PM   #16
Hurst2112
College Starter

I agree with the magical camera. I don't know of many people who have a camera in their car.

Anybody else notice the choppiness of the film. Looks like it could be edited to appear to be an authentic crash.

Lastly, I have fallen asleep plenty of times (coming home from working 3rd shift...having to drive 20 miles) enough to know it is hard to pass out...without the help of drugs or alcohol.

Just my thought

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 02-24-2004 at 06:51 PM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:08 PM   #17
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
I agree with the magical camera. I don't know of many people who have a camera in their car.

Anybody else notice the choppiness of the film. Looks like it could be edited to appear to be an authentic crash.

Lastly, I have fallen asleep plenty of times (coming home from working 3rd shift...having to drive 20 miles) enough to know it is hard to pass out...without the help of drugs or alcohol.

Just my thought

The camera and the choppiness are easily explained - it's a cheap camera similar to those ones that were first sold for computers; it doesn't capture at 24 or 30 frames per second, probably closer to 5 fps.

I reiterate - to create a 3D model of that guy flying around on impact with believable physics and have it seamlessly match the beginning part of that footage would be a lot of work by a very talented artist.

I could be wrong here, but it would be an awful lot of work to create, and for what reason? I'm applying Occam's Razor here - the most straightforward explanation that reasonably accounts for the known facts is probably the correct one.

EDIT: I'm guessing the reason the guy had the camera in the car was an attempt to mimic NASCAR drivers that have cameras in their cars (you noticed the Dale Earnhardt t-shirt right?)

Last edited by dawgfan : 02-24-2004 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:11 AM   #18
Hurst2112
College Starter

I notice the shirt...but, unless i am missing something...why would he be recording himself driving?!? Would he have the means to have a wireless internet connection to broadcast in real time from his car....anywhere he wants?

What i am getting at is that it seems strange to be taping in a car, when you are driving and just happening to catch yourself falling asleep

Also, arent the cameras in race cars over a little bit...showing the guys side? Again, a little too set up to have a camera view of the whole cockpit...and not just the driver.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:17 AM   #19
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
The camera and the choppiness are easily explained - it's a cheap camera similar to those ones that were first sold for computers; it doesn't capture at 24 or 30 frames per second, probably closer to 5 fps

Dola: I have yet to see a camera with that high quality that is 5 fps. Hell I had a gread 2 com camera that was 30 fps and the quality of the picture wasn't as great as this.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:42 AM   #20
randal7
H.S. Freshman Team

If this is faked, they put in a lot of effort. At the end, as the vehicle lands on its top, you can see glass shatter on the left and the roof bend in from the impact. You can also see dirt through the left side windows at the end.

I also am at a loss to explain why this clown had a camera in his car, though.
randal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:43 AM   #21
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal7
If this is faked, they put in a lot of effort. At the end, as the vehicle lands on its top, you can see glass shatter on the left and the roof bend in from the impact. You can also see dirt through the left side windows at the end.

I also am at a loss to explain why this clown had a camera in his car, though.

He's a very sad clown now.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:54 AM   #22
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Who says it's his car? Maybe it's a work car. Might explain the camera.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:17 AM   #23
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I say hoax. A stuntman in a car rigged on hydraulics. Couple of quick things, there's no flying debris on initial impact and the outside is purposely overexposed to hide context. Imo.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:41 AM   #24
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

He might have a camera installed to monitor driving habits. Maybe he had been having trouble staying alert and wanted to see if he was actually falling asleep at the wheel.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:43 AM   #25
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

sounds like a job for snopes!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote