Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2004, 09:16 PM   #1
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Jay Fiedler

Apparently the Dolphins have told Fiedler to try to deal himself...What do you Cowboys fans think of Fiedler over Quincy Carter. Sure he's not a sexy name, but I think if Parcells could get himself a stud running back he could probably do what Wannstedt couldn't. I think Fiedler is a serviceable QB and I think Fiedler, a good RB and maybe Keyshawn with that D might make them pretty dangerous.

jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the Cowboys will be playing a playoff schedule next year. If the Eagles get a WR or two, and the Redskins get Portis...it may be a long season in Dallas.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:48 PM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
the Cowboys will be playing a playoff schedule next year.

So that two-game difference is going to make them completely collapse?

Somehow I don't see Parcells wetting his pants over facing Seattle and New Orleans.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:53 PM   #4
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
since they have moved to the 4 div format, there arent really "playoff" schedules

6 = div games
+4 = conf game
+4 = OOC games
+ 2 free games. this is the only place were they could change strength of schedule.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:59 PM   #5
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
since they have moved to the 4 div format, there arent really "playoff" schedules

6 = div games
+4 = conf game
+4 = OOC games
+ 2 free games. this is the only place were they could change strength of schedule.

what, you need to use your first serious post at the FOFC to make ME look like a dork?
Old 02-23-2004, 10:03 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

thank you Fritz. Many people keep tossing around terms like "playoff schedule" and "last place schedule" even though they really no longer have any validty. Except in very marginal cases, we can be pretty confident the best teams will be making the playoffs each year.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:03 PM   #7
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpunk2000
Apparently the Dolphins have told Fiedler to try to deal himself...What do you Cowboys fans think of Fiedler over Quincy Carter. Sure he's not a sexy name, but I think if Parcells could get himself a stud running back he could probably do what Wannstedt couldn't. I think Fiedler is a serviceable QB and I think Fiedler, a good RB and maybe Keyshawn with that D might make them pretty dangerous.

As a Cowboy fan, Keyshawn can stick it. He's a cancer, and I hope Parcells doesn't allow his need for a possession receiver to cloud that.

They definitely need a running back, and I think they can get a good one in the draft. As to QB, there aren't a lot of options out there right now, but I'd think Fielder would be one of the better ones. He could compete for Quincy (and likely win the job in my opinion), but wouldn't get his feelings hurt if Parcells opted to go with Carter.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:05 PM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
what, you need to use your first serious post at the FOFC to make ME look like a dork?

I had another one a few years ago when I was sedated.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:25 PM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

Fiedler = No

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:36 AM   #10
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpunk2000

As a Cowboys fan, I'll give you my two cents:

Quincy Carter is not as bad as Monday Morning Quarterbacks make him out to be. Consider the entire offense he played with. Troy Hambrick is one of the worst starting tailbacks in the NFL. Richie Anderson is one of the worst blocking fullbacks in the NFL. The Cowboys have three great #2 receivers but no legit talent to be the main man. The Cowboys offensive line is one of the worst lines in the NFL. Larry Allen and Ryan Young are struggling with career ending injuries. Lehr and Gurode are young guys that may not be starting in a few years in the NFL. Flozell Adams is the only starter on the Cowboys line who would find a job elsewhere. Many people don't realize how Carter's speed and elusiveness saved the Cowboys last year. What would have ended up as a sack for many quarterbacks (including ones with better arms) were first downs or positive yardage with the Cowboys. Plus, Quincy will be starting for THE FIRST TIME EVER in the same offense two years in a row next season. Don't forget too that Quincy didn't even have 16 games under his belt before starting last year. Take all of this into account and it would be stupid to guarantee the job to someone like Fiedler who hasn't done any better than Quincy while he's had a better offense and more continuity. I think the Cowboys should bring in a cheap free agent to be a backup and even an emergency starter if Quincy should somehow fall apart next year but trading draft picks for a mediocre quarterback like Fiedler would be a mistake. The only quarterback worth trading for this year IMO is Peyton Manning.

And yes, I think the Cowboys should pick Keyshawn up. I'm sick of watching Galloway and Glenn get manhandled by defensive backs. Any Cowboys fans against this needs to pull out thieir old game tapes and realize what made Irvin such a great receiver. Yes some of it was cheating when he pushed off but Galloway will never be anything more than an overglorified Alvin Harper - go routes which make Sportscenter play of the week highlights. The Cowboys need someone like Keyshawn who is strong enough to get open and has good hands. Speed is not what the Cowboys need right now. Keyshawn is also one of the best blocking receivers which would really help out the poor Cowboys running game. You put Keyshawn back with Parcells and you'll see a different player. I don't think he'll be good for more than a year or two but I'd rather have Keyshawn that Galloway.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:59 AM   #11
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPete

Quincy Carter is not as bad as Monday Morning Quarterbacks make him out to be. Consider the entire offense he played with. Troy Hambrick is one of the worst starting tailbacks in the NFL. Richie Anderson is one of the worst blocking fullbacks in the NFL. The Cowboys have three great #2 receivers but no legit talent to be the main man. The Cowboys offensive line is one of the worst lines in the NFL. Larry Allen and Ryan Young are struggling with career ending injuries. Lehr and Gurode are young guys that may not be starting in a few years in the NFL. Flozell Adams is the only starter on the Cowboys line who would find a job elsewhere. Many people don't realize how Carter's speed and elusiveness saved the Cowboys last year. What would have ended up as a sack for many quarterbacks (including ones with better arms) were first downs or positive yardage with the Cowboys. Plus, Quincy will be starting for THE FIRST TIME EVER in the same offense two years in a row next season. Don't forget too that Quincy didn't even have 16 games under his belt before starting last year. Take all of this into account and it would be stupid to guarantee the job to someone like Fiedler who hasn't done any better than Quincy while he's had a better offense and more continuity. I think the Cowboys should bring in a cheap free agent to be a backup and even an emergency starter if Quincy should somehow fall apart next year but trading draft picks for a mediocre quarterback like Fiedler would be a mistake. The only quarterback worth trading for this year IMO is Peyton Manning.

And yes, I think the Cowboys should pick Keyshawn up. I'm sick of watching Galloway and Glenn get manhandled by defensive backs. Any Cowboys fans against this needs to pull out thieir old game tapes and realize what made Irvin such a great receiver. Yes some of it was cheating when he pushed off but Galloway will never be anything more than an overglorified Alvin Harper - go routes which make Sportscenter play of the week highlights. The Cowboys need someone like Keyshawn who is strong enough to get open and has good hands. Speed is not what the Cowboys need right now. Keyshawn is also one of the best blocking receivers which would really help out the poor Cowboys running game. You put Keyshawn back with Parcells and you'll see a different player. I don't think he'll be good for more than a year or two but I'd rather have Keyshawn that Galloway.

It's nice to see Quincy's wife posting here. J/K. Anyway, obviously Parcells can handle Keyshawn, but what would the point be? He's played at the level of a number three or four WR the past few years. You also need a decent QB and a running back first. Carter may dodge sacks, but there's no way he's a number one QB in the NFL. The running game speaks for itself.

Last edited by Desnudo : 02-24-2004 at 02:59 AM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:46 AM   #12
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quincy blows. You cannot possibly believe he is even passable enough to get a team to a Super Bowl.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:24 AM   #13
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

Fiedler has a better than .600 winning percentage, and the playoff losses lay more heavily on the heads of the Dolphins defense than the offense.
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:31 AM   #14
rpommier
n00b

Quote:

Quincy Carter is not as bad as Monday Morning Quarterbacks make him out to be. Consider the entire offense he played with.

I'm stationed in San Antonio and was subjected to Q.C. on Sundays and just can't see him ever being a viable NFL QB. He puts too many passes in the dirt, the guy just isn't very accurate and that's what a Parcells offense needs. He also is prone to make horrible decisions...

Roderick
rpommier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:48 AM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Quincy blows. You cannot possibly believe he is even passable enough to get a team to a Super Bowl.

Wouldn't all the QC opponents have said this same thing last year, only using the words "the playoffs" instead?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:53 AM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Wouldn't all the QC opponents have said this same thing last year, only using the words "the playoffs" instead?

Probably and it's a tribute to the defense that they were able to get 10 games in the W column. They really had to simplify the offense to keep QC afloat...
Old 02-24-2004, 09:04 AM   #17
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Actually, early in the year, Quincy was winning games for Dallas. It was only later in the year when everyone figured out how to play the offense that he couldn't keep his level of play up. I'd say at this point in his career he's average and needs to improve a good bit for Parcells to keep him as a starter.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:56 AM   #18
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

A quarterbacks best friend is a running game. The Cowboys didn't have one. I thought when Jamal Martin was in at FB and Richie was at tailback, the Cowboys were a better team, but Bill didn't use that too much.

Also that kid from Wisconsin (Johnson I think his last name is) if he recovers from his knee surgery will be pretty good at center along with DiNapoli.

Bill will probably snag some depth on the line with free agency and the draft.

Galloway has run two patterns his entire career, I hope he is gone.

I believe they will draft a running back, I just hope his name isn't Chris Perry. They need a pass rushing end DESPARATELY.

As far as Quincy goes, he is basically a rookie and a half in experience. The change in his play from before Parcells was remarkable. If he improves by half that much after this offseason then he is their best option. If he becomes stagnant in his progress, then make a move. Jay Fiedler isn't going to push them over the top anyways, but I wouldn't mind if they tried to grab Rivers in the middle rounds.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:01 AM   #19
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog Purple
Jay Fiedler isn't going to push them over the top anyways, but I wouldn't mind if they tried to grab Rivers in the middle rounds.

Rivers won't last to the middle rounds. He is a late number 1 or an early number 2. Some think he might be the best QB in the draft.

My QB ratings.
Manning
Rivers
Rophlisberger "spelling"

They are my top 3

Last edited by druez : 02-24-2004 at 10:04 AM.
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:48 AM   #20
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
thank you Fritz. Many people keep tossing around terms like "playoff schedule" and "last place schedule" even though they really no longer have any validty.

What amazes me is that people ever thought it was that big a deal. Where you finished in your division now determines 2 games on your schedule. It used to determine 4.

Edit: according to Mel, Rivers is the mover of the draft so far. He'll likely be gone by #20.

Last edited by Samdari : 02-24-2004 at 10:49 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:00 AM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

What about Mel Kiper's Hair? Where is River's hair rated?
Old 02-24-2004, 11:22 AM   #22
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf

Only when I get some ratings from Saddam Hussein, Kirby Puckett and Denny Green can I make a final decision about Rivers.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:14 PM   #23
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf

I heard Mel Kiper Jr.'s hair is the underdog pick from the combine.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:03 PM   #24
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
A quarterbacks best friend is a running game. The Cowboys didn't have one. I thought when Jamal Martin was in at FB and Richie was at tailback, the Cowboys were a better team, but Bill didn't use that too much.

Also that kid from Wisconsin (Johnson I think his last name is) if he recovers from his knee surgery will be pretty good at center along with DiNapoli.

Bill will probably snag some depth on the line with free agency and the draft.

Galloway has run two patterns his entire career, I hope he is gone.

I believe they will draft a running back, I just hope his name isn't Chris Perry. They need a pass rushing end DESPARATELY.

As far as Quincy goes, he is basically a rookie and a half in experience. The change in his play from before Parcells was remarkable. If he improves by half that much after this offseason then he is their best option. If he becomes stagnant in his progress, then make a move. Jay Fiedler isn't going to push them over the top anyways, but I wouldn't mind if they tried to grab Rivers in the middle rounds.

Agree 100% with just about everything you said. The Cowboys shouldn't be trading high draft picks for the Brunells of the world. There are plenty of quarterbacks out there like Fiedler who will be cut or have teams asking for draft picks who never did anything more than Quincy and had more years to prove themselves. Right now the best bet for the Cowboys is to find someone in the draft, and use him in case Quincy doesn't improve next year as dramatically as he did last year. The kid from Wisconsin is Al Johnson and I hope he recovers. He had microfracture surgery already. That surgery has better results these days but that's still something that can alter his career. I liked Martin blocking last year too.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:09 PM   #25
Desnudo
Coordinator

I really hope Jay Fiedler stays in Miami to ensure ten more years of suckage.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:05 PM   #26
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Agree 100% with just about everything you said. The Cowboys shouldn't be trading high draft picks for the Brunells of the world. There are plenty of quarterbacks out there like Fiedler who will be cut or have teams asking for draft picks who never did anything more than Quincy and had more years to prove themselves. Right now the best bet for the Cowboys is to find someone in the draft, and use him in case Quincy doesn't improve next year as dramatically as he did last year. The kid from Wisconsin is Al Johnson and I hope he recovers. He had microfracture surgery already. That surgery has better results these days but that's still something that can alter his career. I liked Martin blocking last year too.

Al Johnson.. that's it. The one good thing out of that is he did it last preseason and has had the whole season to rehab.

The main problem with Richie at tailback is he simply can't block anyone. At least Troy Hambrick's one asset was he could pick up a blitz. He might stick around as a 3rd down back which is what he is anyways, but so is Richie. Richie can catch out of the backfield which was a plus.

Also Whiten started to make some plays towards the end of the season and blocked pretty well. It's about time we had a tightend around here.

But yeah I agree they need to get someone to backup Quincy because it seems to me Bill was disenchanted with Chad from the getgo but Romo seemed to peak his interest... I wonder if he is going to NFL Europe also.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:34 PM   #27
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Al Johnson.. that's it. The one good thing out of that is he did it last preseason and has had the whole season to rehab.

The main problem with Richie at tailback is he simply can't block anyone. At least Troy Hambrick's one asset was he could pick up a blitz. He might stick around as a 3rd down back which is what he is anyways, but so is Richie. Richie can catch out of the backfield which was a plus.

Also Whiten started to make some plays towards the end of the season and blocked pretty well. It's about time we had a tightend around here.

But yeah I agree they need to get someone to backup Quincy because it seems to me Bill was disenchanted with Chad from the getgo but Romo seemed to peak his interest... I wonder if he is going to NFL Europe also.

Romo isn't going to NFL Europe. I doubt Hutchinson is on the roster next year. I think Parcells looks at him as a whiny baby. LOL It seems like he's been in the doghouse ever since he complained about being replaced by Quincy. I agree with you on Witten, he's going to be a good one. Of course, I thought the same thing about Antonio Bryant after watching his rookie year. Hopefully Bryant picks it up this year and last year was only a sophmore slump. Hambrick is a useful backup because he can block so well. If Martin doesn't catch the coaches eyes, I wonder if they would consider trying Hambrick at fullback much the same way Anderson did it for the Broncos? He played fullback two years ago when Thomas went out with injuries.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:19 PM   #28
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Eater
Fiedler has a better than .600 winning percentage, and the playoff losses lay more heavily on the heads of the Dolphins defense than the offense.

This from John Clayton today. I'm certainly not a fan of AJ Feely, but these numbers pretty well tell the Jay Fiedler story, and not just for this year.

In trying to find the next Jake Delhomme, the Dolphins did extensive research on unproven NFL quarterbacks. They looked at Marc Bulger, A.J. Feeley, Jay Fiedler, Matt Hasselbeck, Sage Rosenfels, Billy Volek and others. After the Dolphins learned they couldn't get Mark Brunell or Patrick Ramsey in a trade, they chose Feeley based in part on his 85.4 career quarterback rating in the fourth quarter. This season, Fiedler had a quarterback rating of 23 in the fourth quarter.