Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-14-2001, 10:49 AM   #1
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Post All Air Attack

Recently I have been building teams with lopsided gameplans.
The most successful has been an "all-air" attack.

Philosophy

The All-Air Attack (AAA), also know as Air-Fritz, is based on the concept of positional over development. Positional over-development as a philosophy dictates that a team focuses on acquiring several talent players at one position. All other positional acquisitions are re-prioritized to emphasize the focus position. In the case of the AAA, WR is the focus position.

The AAA is based on the premise that a talented corp of receivers can, with the proper game plan, dominate a football game by stretching the opposition’s defense, creating favorable positional and talent match-ups, and by controlling the tempo and style of the game.

Stretching the defense:

By using multiple receiver sets an offence is able to place talented players in several “threat zones.” By varying the both the depth and the breadth of the offence, the AAA is able to capture the most effective passing elements of Air Coryell (vertical), and the West Coast (horizontal) styles.

Creating favorable Match-ups:

Defenses are designed, staffed and trained to play against both the run and the pass. By ignoring the run the AAA Offense is able to minimize the talents of run stoppers, forcing them to play the pass. Against many teams, this effectively removes 1-2 DL, 1LB and 1 S from the game.

In a 4-3 or 3-4 base defense WRs are covered by LBs. Historically this type of match-up favors the WR on deeper routes. Switching to a base Nickel brings its own problems as the 3rd CB is rarely of sufficient quality to play against a slot receiver that is of starting caliber.

With good and deep talent at WR, opposing defenses must choose between resting their best players or playing inferior reserves. If teams opt to keep their best players on the field, fatigue will eventually become an issue.

Dictating the tempo and style of play:

Very few teams are designed to pass and defend the pass exclusively. The AAA forces opposing offenses to pass more than average and that means a fast tempo game. Running teams will have problems with the tempo, as they are generally built to play at a slow pace.

After several seasons of play it is obvious that AAA teams have the fewest run attempted against them, and the most passes.

Switching offensive styles to compete against an AAA team usually leads to disaster. A properly staffed AAA team will have depth at DB. Strong 3rd CB’s and Ss match-up well against fair #3 WRs.

Offensive Settings and Philosophy

I set my passing prefs about like this:

1 20,20,20,10
2 20,20,20,10
3 20,20,20,10
4 20,10,10,5

[edit - 12,2001]
1 0,0,0,0
2 0,0,0,0
3 0,0,0,0
4 0,0,0,0
[/edit]

I have gone as low as 1's across the board and as high as 30’s. WR depth and quality determine my passing prefs. Quality of the RBs is of no concern.

[edit - 12,2001]
Running backs selected with recieving skills in mind can be used for WR depth in a pinch.
[/edit]

Willingness to go for it on 4th down is set according to taste and player quality. I usually keep mine at 75.

Willingness to run the ball inside the 20 should be low. I keep mine between 10 and 20.

[edit 12,2001]
This is now set at 0
[/edit]

I do not mess much with the run direction much. Adjust to taste.

QB Quality determines my passing distance.
Excellent/VG QB 1,34,40,15,10
(sometimes 1, 30, 34, 20, 15) but this is chancy
Good QB 1,44,30,15,10
Fair QB 1,49,35,10,5

*** as of late I have been playing a blue chip QB with 10, 35,40,10, 5 with outstanding results. Not as many yards avg. but fewer ints.

Formations

I train in I, Strong, Single and Shotgun and set my tendencies as follows:

I think the strong formation is better for the pass than the weak. The FB and the TE can flood the strong side. The FOF engine appears to be biased against the pro/split formation. IRL I would go with the I, pro, Single and Shotgun.

Formation Tendencies:

Formation tendencies should be varied to fit your WR talent. More WR allow greater use of the 3WR sets.

GL 5-15 (I will set this down to one often.)
0 WR 1
1 WR 5 (set this higher if you have two good TEs and are not deep with WRs.
2 WR 75
3 WR 90
4 WR 80(set this down if you do not have 4 quality WRs)
5 WR 65
Use FB as runner: Pick your poison,I set mine low.

Defensive Settings and Philosophy

On the way

Comments

Team Building

QB: You always want a great QB, but you do not need one.

RB: RBs can be sacrificed to free up cap to get and keep the WRs. The RB you do get should be able to catch as they may have to sub for WRs.

FB: The full-backs main job is to stay back and block the pass rush. I am not sure how this is done in FOF. Get a guy with good hands in case he has to go in for a TE.

WR: The key to this system is a strong and deep group of WRs and a great pass catching TE. I carry 6 WR and try to keep 3-4 or them in starting quality.

TE: Just get a guy with hands. These guys often drop behind the blocking TEs, so do not reach for one too soon or overextend in FA.

OL: Get a good one. In order I try to set my quality in LT, RT, C, LG, RG. I always keep my OL in good order, but I have had seasons where the talent is just not there. This is tollerbale for a few seasons, but should be corrected. The AAA system will get your QB sacked and a weak OL will only add to the problem. I will spend a little to keep this unit together as this is the place for cohesion.

DL: Important for the pass rush and not much else. I try not to spend a fortune here as teams will not run frequently on an Air Attack team. If I get a superstar I will pay to keep him around.

LB: Moderately important. I go for guys with good coverage ability first and pass rushing second. Run Stopping ability is not important. The SOLB is probably the most important guy as he will draw TE duty.

CB: Get many

S: Your backbone player. Try to keep 3 good ones around.

This attack will force teams to throw against you early and often, so having a strong secondary and good pass rushing is vital to winning.

[This message has been edited by Fritz (edited 04-17-2001).]

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Fritz ]

Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 10:59 AM   #2
Daimyo
College Starter

For what its worth, I agree with this strategy... I really think the way to go in FOF is focus on passing with both the offense and defense.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 11:57 AM   #3
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I had been running ultra-low tendency ballanced teams, with good results.

I tried the air-attack to see what would happen and the results were outstanding.

The real trick is getting the yardages set right for your QB, and getting the defense set up to handle the other team's passing game.

I am still experimenting with the defense and will post more when I get to where I am happy.

A solid by-product of this system is being able to downgrade certain positions. This opens up cap space for the needed positions.

A side note:

20 years of 4000-6000 yard seasons has yielded 0 All-Pro O-Linemen. Makes you think about the weight of KRB in selecting the All-Pro Teams.

[This message has been edited by Fritz (edited 03-14-2001).]
Old 03-15-2001, 02:02 AM   #4
TheDawgsAreOut
H.S. Freshman Team

Interesting stuff, Fritz. This looks like it would be about perfect for my Air Force Challenge (where I'm only able to draft guys at 'passing' positions). The funny thing I'v had in that so far is fairly decent running despite nothing but urfas. Anyways, I may try that when I continue that challange after spring break.

------------------
RFUS is going down - Cal all the way, baby!
Old 03-15-2001, 07:24 AM   #5
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by TheDawgsAreOut:
The funny thing I'v had in that so far is fairly decent running despite nothing but urfas.

My run avg. is usualy good, but I have only rushed for more that 1000 yards 4 times in 20 years. I have gone over 1500 yards only twice. In most season my QB is my leading rusher with around 250 yards.

Quote:

Anyways, I may try that when I continue that challange after spring break.
I hope you are doing something fun. You only get so many years in college (I stretched mine to 8 as an undergrad) and what is acceptable while in college become pathetic once out.
Old 03-16-2001, 12:54 AM   #6
TheDawgsAreOut
H.S. Freshman Team

Of course I'm doing something fun ... Spring Break coincides perfectly with March Madness! Let's just say I'm a little conservative for an 18 year old. Back to the actual strategy ... I obviously didn't run that much and last year was the first year I had an effective running game. What the results look like once I get some real talent at the other positions, I don't know, but that's the fun of playing it.

------------------
RFUS is going down - Cal all the way, baby!
Old 03-18-2001, 05:57 AM   #7
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Cool

I recently ran a 50-50 running game, 50% on every situation.
Even a team that lacked EXCELLENT and VERY GOOD players was able to reach the playoffs 3-years in a row. (then I stopped testing)
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 10:06 AM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

bump

I would be interested to know if anyone adopts this system and what their results are. Specific questions can be left here or e-mailed to [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Fritz (edited 04-17-2001).]
Old 04-17-2001, 11:03 AM   #9
Daimyo
College Starter

I've played with a similar system on occasion. Its been a while now, but I think the best numbers I ever got from a QB in this type of system was about 6000 yards and 50 TD's. Depending on the number of good receivers, I've had one guy get 2000 consistently or four guys (3WR and a TE) each get 1000 yards in the same season. RB's usually have very high rushing YPC and receiving numbers, but low overall rushing numbers.

The one time I most clearly remember doing this I did it a bit differently. My goal was to generate insane passing numbers and I figured the best way to do it was to make a quick strike offense and a very anti-ball control defense. I started with the allocation draft and maxed out all the offensive positions and minimized all the defensive positions. I then changed the position of every defensive player until they had straight zero's across the board. I set my defense to be all-out against the pass and run at 99 each, be in nickel at 99, etc etc. Each year I focused on adding new offensive players and zeroing out any defensive players I added (usually URFA's on seven year deals to minimize my work).

With almost identical personel each year, my results were pretty strange... something like

first year: 13-3, loose in Super Bowl
second year: 3-13
third year: 12-4, loose in coference fianls
fourth year: 5-11
fifth year: 14-2, win Super Bowl
sixth year: 4-12
seventh year: 10-6, loose in first round

After that several of my core offensive players were loosing their ratings and I lost interest. Neverless, I've never seen such an inconsistent team and I just assumed it had to do with the fact that it relied heavily on extremes. It seemed that almost every game, whichever team scored the first touchdown would win the game in a blow out (which makes sense). There were no 24-21 type games...

[This message has been edited by Daimyo (edited 04-17-2001).]
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 11:28 PM   #10
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I saw all-air attack, why not go all out and try run 0%. Okay, once I get re-licensed on the new PC, I'll have to give that one a shot.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2001, 10:38 AM   #11
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I do run 0 some times, but I find that the game runs anyway.

I moved to 20's after a HOF quaterback retired and I was left with junk in the position for a few years.
Old 12-19-2001, 12:25 PM   #12
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

An update:

This system have proved to be a fun one to run. This is especially true if you like eye-popping stats.

A recently retired QB with 17 mostly healthy years of service posted 98,000 yards of offense.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:58 AM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

This system was devised for FOF2K1.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:28 AM   #14
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Fritz,

I use your all air attack in TCY and it's been great. I wouldn't try using it without a pretty good QB and WR's, but the fact that you don't have to recruit FB's, RB's or TE's as strongly is a big plus in my book. I just wish I could figure out a method to minimize picks in the big games, lol.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:24 PM   #15
sabotai
General Manager

Hmm, wouldn't some consider this expoiting AI weaknesses?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:18 PM   #16
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

sab,

if you wantto look at it like that you are welcomed to, but that is not what the system is about. The system is about economy. You maximize resources (time, money, etc) into a few positions and then gameplan out the weak areas.

The W/L is what you might expect for a ballanced team with similar talent.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:19 AM   #17
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Sabotai,

I wouldn't consider it exploiting the AI weaknesses and neither would that damnable Michigan TCY team that had 8 picks on my 2 QB's. Doh!

The thing I've noticed with using the AAA in TCY is that you had better have some good receivers and a good QB. The real key is having a good defense to compliment the offense because they are going to get stuck with a short field on average 2-3 times per game.

This is definitely not a good offense if your team isn't strong all-around. You will get blown out early and often though you will put up some decent yardage.

Fritz,

Do you do any changes to the offensive plan dependant upon defense? Tweak the pass settings? Again, thanks for the work in putting this together.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:44 AM   #18
Easy Mac

I'd say that when you have a game do unrealistic things, it tends to exploit it. If you try hard enough you can break any game, but where's the fun in that.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:11 AM   #19
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

So what's unrealistic about the AAA offense? Texas Tech Red Raiders under Mike Leach throw the ball an awful lot with Kingsbury throwing a minimum 41 times against Baylor in a blowout. Drew Bledsoe used to throw the ball 30-50 times a game when the Pats used to do nothing but throw the ball.

If it's so unrealistic, someone needs to tell these football coaches.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:03 PM   #20
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
I'd say that when you have a game do unrealistic things, it tends to exploit it. If you try hard enough you can break any game, but where's the fun in that.

Easy Mac (and others),

On realism: Despite the name, the AAA does have some running in it. (See my passing prefs). Even zeroed out the game will run the ball from time to time.

There are both historic and theoretic antecedents for an extremely pass heavy system. Likewise, there are coaches that de-emphasize positions and use the cost savings to keep talent at others.

On "exploiting": Indeed, this system seeks to exploit talent in breadth by minimizing the impact of certain positions. IMHO the only way this "breaks" the game relates to the AI's teambuilding. IRL other teams, particularly in your division, would be more reactive in the offseason. This is the same flaw that we see when any human controlled team goes on a multi-season win streak.

If you don't think this type of system would give you the experience you want, don't play with it. If there is a specific system that you use please share it with us.

-------
meanstrosity,

I tend to play a season quickly, so I generally do not alter the gameplan from week to week. If I did the focus would be on which sets would create the best matchups and where the pass rush comes from.

If you further develop the AAA please post.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:39 AM   #21
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Fritz,

I've gone between the AAA offense and the west coast offense put together by another poster called something 75. Sorry, can't recall the name since it's been a couple of games since I've used it. I liked the AAA better since I was able to really focus on certain positions in recruiting. Namely the WR's and QB. A good OL is helpful, but you can be semi-successful without it.

As my team started to get better on the field, I was able to grab more talented RB's and began using them in catching screens. So my offense is a bit of a mixed bag with regards to passing distances, but the core of the offense is AAA.

It's interesting because I've been seeing a couple of other teams within the game really throwing the ball around as well. I'd love to get a look at their pass settings, lol.

Again, thanks for the AAA. Not only for the settings, but the reasoning as well. Great idea.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:39 PM   #22
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Discussions like this are great. Even though I usually stick to balanced plans, it's cool to see unique ones, and how well they fare.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:03 AM   #23
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by the_meanstrosity
So what's unrealistic about the AAA offense? Texas Tech Red Raiders under Mike Leach throw the ball an awful lot with Kingsbury throwing a minimum 41 times against Baylor in a blowout. Drew Bledsoe used to throw the ball 30-50 times a game when the Pats used to do nothing but throw the ball.

If it's so unrealistic, someone needs to tell these football coaches.

That's college, we're talking pro's.

Its just people talk about ways they broke the AI, but when you use stuff that borders unrealism, then I don't find how when people bash developers for not taking into account every possible variable into account.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:00 PM   #24
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Mac,

Have you tried using the hack that removes this gameplan from your system? That way you would never have to use it.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:36 PM   #25
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Easy Mac,

How about Drew Bledsoe and the Patriots? I believe they are in the pro's. In 1994, Drew Bledsoe had 691 pass attempts. In 1995, he had 636 pass attempts. Warren Moon had 655 in 1991.

So again, how is this unrealistic?

PS: I play the AAA in The College Years since I haven't bought FOF yet.