Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2004, 03:30 AM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yank The Boro: An American Up Teesside

SUNDAY, July 6, 2003

Boro Stun Fans, Football World

An Unknown American Is Handed The Interim Head Job at Middlesborough

MIDDLESBOROUGH-- One mystery, that of "who", is now over. Now begins the next question of "why"?

Middlesborough shocked local supporters and football observers alike when they announced that former American college coach Matthew Kieta would be hired as the interim manager of the Premiership side FC Middlesborough Football Club.

Kieta, 30, will handle the job once held by Steve McLaren, the well-regarded manager of the Boro the past two seasons, who recently announced his intention to go on holiday to recuperate from a serious illness. It is not known how soon McLaren would need before returning to the club.

Club board chairman Steve Gibson said he expected surprise, even anger, from fans at the move, but said they would "quickly warm to Mr. Kieta's sharp and fresh take on the game."

Kieta himself said very little at the press conference announcing his appointment.

"I am happy to get this opportunity to bring my skills to this level of this great game," Kieta, dressed in a blue suit with a Boro red tie, said to gathered reporters. "Everyone knows the best players play here, in the League, the top league in the world."

Even reporters whom had long covered the team could barely contain their urge to fire heated inquiries at the new coach. Gibson, however, fielded most of the questions and kept the new head man from having to respond too often.

The identity of the new head man had been kept secret for the past week, and was the subject of numerous reports, which, as it turns out, were all erroneous.

Kieta is the former football, or soccer, as the game is known in the United States, coach at California Polytechnic State University in Pomona, or Cal Poly Pomona for short. He coached three conference-winning, or table-topping, teams there, after being hired from an assistant's position at the more well known Univeristy of California at Los Angeles.

Kieta developed a rapport with Boro management when he brought his collegiate team to England for a friendly tour last summer. Gibson said Kieta's sharp handling of a young group of players against a serious set of men's sides in that tour played a large role in the club's determination to give him this opportunity.

It was suggested that Kieta's small contract, £350,000 per annum, was also a factor, although Gibson denied it.

Observers were surprised that assistant manager and reputed McLaren toadie Steve Harrison wasn't just promoted to the job, but it has been suggested since before McLaren's surprise decision that Harrison isn't entirely comfortable running an organization as large as that of the Boro.

The Boro, who are expected to begin training under the new manager immediately, are thought to be a likely mid-table side this year in the English Premiership League, but no threat to contend for a title or any of the cups. The side did not perform well enough last season to gain entry to any of the prestigious international competitions.

The hiring of a heretofore unknown manager might bode poorly in the future for a side that needs to be on its game to avoid relegation in the always tough EPL this upcoming season.

Captain Gareth Southgate refused to comment on the announcement, other than to say he was "anxious to meet Kieta and begin work on a new season."

Southgate will receive some help in fellow national team defender Danny Mills from Chelsea, Spanish international midfielder Gaizka Medienta by way of Italian club Lazio, and "Bolo" Zenden, a Dutch forward with 50 caps under his belt from Leeds, all on loan. Keeper Carlo Nash was also brought in from Manchester City to compete with incumbent netminder and Aussie Mark Schwarzer.

Their contributions will be needed to help overcome the loss of several key players, including the previously approved loan of halfback Robbie Stockdale to Sheffield United, the injuries of strong centerback Igu Ehiogu and winger Allan Johnston, and the departure of Croation striker Alen Bostic and Brazilian midfielder Geremi.

The Boro travel to Scotland next Sunday to play Scottish First Division squad Brechin City to open their friendly preseason fixture. Later on this month, the side will take a four-match tour of Portugal.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-12-2004 at 03:34 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:55 AM   #2
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Good luck on Teeside Chief!
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:30 AM   #3
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Just a minor point - Boro have gotten Mills from Leeds and Zenden from Chelsea, not the other way round. Quibbles aside, I'm looking forward to this.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:50 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

ice: Thanks.

Katon: Damn, I even switched them around from the correct way to the incorrect way. I thought I had that one down. Oh well...even as a growing English footy fan, I am still picking things up slowly. But at the rate things are going, soon all EPL goalkeepers will be American, so I'll have a further reason to get into it.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:03 PM   #5
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Woohooo!! Another CR dynasty to look forward to.

Just some specs questions. Is this using CM 03/04? Why the EPL? I figured you as the small club manager type.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:09 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So everyone knows what is going on, I am running this dyansty using CM03/04 (just received), and the Calcio update (also just released). I am running Middlesborough in the EPL, one of the sides you DON'T usually hear about. I even joined the Middlesborough online supporter club or whatever, so I can follow the real club some. I actually started following them a little last year when I played a season of CM4 with the Boro.

This dynasty will be similar to the Kettering dynasty I started that ended when I became upset with the flaws I saw in CM4. From what I understand, most to all of these concerns have been eliminated from CM0304, with the only subtraction I abhor being the loss of the MLS (although the Calcio update has done somewhat of a good job of working players back in).

Just like the Kettering dynasty, this will by and large be done through the media. You will be viewing it not as I view it, but as a fan or reporter or observer from afar might. I won't talk about ratings, I'll talk about personalities. Not every little thing will be exposed, some you will merely have to guess from the articles and reports that show up.

I will also report general footy news in this dynasty, that the average resident of Middlesborough would likely know and care about. So even, though, Middlesborough is not involved (this year at least), you will hear about the top clubs in the European competitions, you will hear about the World Cup and Olympics and Euro Championshiops, you will hear major transfer news from both England and all over Europe.

Do You Want To Participate?

I have found that the best dynasties find a way to include the readers in the dynasty. X-Com, of course, is unmatched in this manner, and I have yet to find a way to truly include everyone in that manner. But I would like to view you all as potential reporters and what not.

Each game week I will hold a "press conference" where pertinent questions will be asked. If no one asks a question, I will simply write up an article about what was asked and said (in my imagination of such a conference).

If questions are posed by you all, the readers, I will endeavour to answer them within the press confereence context, as Matthew Kieta, manager of Middlesborough, whenever the next press conference is. So if you would like to participate in this or simply discover something I haven't said yet, just post in this thread "Question: ", followed by the question. The "Question: " beginning will allow me to know the difference between just a poster asking me, Chief Rum, a question, and one being asked of my in-game alter ego, Mr. Kieta.

These questions are meant for insights or plans or rumors or attitudes or other things like that. If you want to know who the leading goal scorer is or where a player is from or other information that would normally be available to anyone who simply looked at a club Web Site or read the sport papers, i.e. basic facts and the like, just post regularly here and I will get that information to you as soon as possible.

For instance, in a real press conference, you wouldn't have to ask Mr. Kieta where Arsenal was standing in the current table. That would be a time to post "Chief Rum, you dolt, post the damn table so we know who's in first place", etc.

I encourage you guys to take on reporting personalities as well, if you like, or even ask as if you're fans. Or you can pass up all that nonsense and just ask me questions. Whatever you like.

The first press conference will be after next Sunday's (in-game) preseason friendly match with Brechin City. The press conference will always happen on Tuesday of a given week (the first being on the Tuesday immediately following the Brechin City match).

And, of course, you are welcome to not say a word and just read the articles.

Thanks in advance for those who read or even choose to participate.

Chief Rum

Old 02-12-2004, 07:13 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Woohooo!! Another CR dynasty to look forward to.

Just some specs questions. Is this using CM 03/04? Why the EPL? I figured you as the small club manager type.

Some of those I just answered. Good timing, GoldenEagle.

I am a small club manager type, and I might return to that someday. But when I ran a solo game in the EPL last year on CM4, I had a blast, even with the game flaws. There's just something really exciting about playing sides like Man U and Arsenel and Liverpool, not to mention all the heightened media attention, and the glorified player personalities you don't get so much at the lower levels. I thought this would be fun for a change.

One of my favorite moments in CM ever was when I managed to hold a table-topping Liverpool squad to one goal and beat them 2-1 at Riverside. Very exciting game to watch, too.

Maybe I will find a way to work in screen captures, although I'm not too good at that nor do I have any hosting I can use (that I am aware of, maybe some comes with my broadband account...).

CR

Old 02-12-2004, 10:30 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

MONDAY, July 7, 2003

Has Gibson Lost It?

Commentary by Evening Gazette columnist Anthony Vickers

The football world is wondering why. The supporters are up in arms. The players are wondering what's going on, even as the go to their first meeting with the mystery kman who is now their new manager.

Could the answer be that our Chairman Steve Gibson has simply gone bonkers? How else can you justify the appointment of an absolute nobody to one of the 22 top jobs in the sport?

I am certain that Matthew Kieta, named Sunday to head the Middlesborough Football Club in an interim status, is a swell guy. He seems likely to know a thing or two about the game of football. His credentiasls show that enough.

But managing isn't just about kicking the ball around ont he pitch. It's about man management. Kieta has never handled a group of professionals making millions, several of whom are, indeed, older than him (on top of being wealthier). He knows how to whip some kids in shape, but he's never handled hardened thirty-something vets or willful primadoonas, and this is certainly not the Boro's U-19 team he will be watching over.

Managing isn't just running the engine room either. It's also playing the transfer market and knowing when to call in the right loan. In America, players are given scholarships to play for the universities where Kieta coached. Moving about was relatively rare and included harsh penalites, among which was the loss of a year of eligibility. American collegiate players only get four of those.

Here, transfers are the lifeblood of change in English and European football. Bringing in the right player for the right price, especailly for a small-budget club like the Boro, can be the key to a whole season. Kieta does not have the experience to know what that right price is, and until he attunes himself to the talent level of the EPL, he won't know who the right player is either.

But managing isn't just player movement either. It's also about the media--yes, me--and the fans--yeah, you. Can Kieta handle pressure on this level? This isn't the local paper and an occasional video clip on a cable television station. This is full on day-to-day media coverage from national and international reporters. This is highlights on every sports broadcast, full telecast games with thousands, even millions of viewers, and this is Riverside Stadium, seating 65,000 rabid Boro fans, not the half-filled seats of 700-seat Bronco Stadium in Pomona, California.

But it's not just the media and the fans either. It's the season length. The team is in preseason training now--just two months and change since the end of last season. And this will run from here until May, 2004, with a span of likely 50-60 games, depending on how successful the Boro are in the cups (hint, aim low end). In America, the collegiate "soccer" season lasts three months, four if the team gets into the playoffs.

Finally, Kieta won't be matching wits with some other American bloke who thinks he knows the game. Here in England, he will be looking across at Sir Alex. Or Arsene Wenger. Some of the true greats will march to the sidelines at Riverside to face off with us, and this is the guy we will counter with?

So, yes, I think it's fair to say Gibson is truly bonkers for making this hire. Or Kieta has some illicit photos of the man. Okay, maybe not...

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-12-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:56 PM   #9
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Moving about was relatively rare and included harsh penalites, among which was the loss of a year of eligibility.

The English journalist who wrote this article needs to do better research.

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 02-12-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:46 AM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I think the journalist did a fair job considering he was writing from across the pond.

CR

Old 02-13-2004, 01:56 AM   #11
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

TUESDAY, July 8, 2003

Kieta To Take Things Slow

Boro Manager Will Wait Before Spending Transfer Funds

MIDDLESBOROUGH-- Interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta is new on the job, so he's playing it cautious.

"I really feel I need to get a better feel for the talent on this team and in this league before I start looking outside the club for answers," Kieta said. "At this point, I can't say I don't have everything I need right now."

Most observers believe Kieta will eventually change his tune when he sees what they see--a team that is at best a mid-table side, and could be fighting against relegation this season if things don't click right away.

Prior to the holiday resignation of Steve McLaren, chairman Steve Gibson said the team would make around £5 M available for transfers, and set a wage bill ceiling of some £22.5 M. None of those funds have been spent yet, and the current payroll sits at £20.8 M, leaving £1.7 M worth of salary room for loans and transfers.

On Monday, Gibson said those amounts had not changed significantly and would remain available when Kieta needed them.

Gibson also said Kieta could expect to have available to him any funds he received from selling off players. As a part of his cautious approach, though, Kieta took the opposite road, removing several players that had been listed by McLaren in the offseason.

"I don't know who needs to be shipped at this point, or even if anyone does, so for now, everyone is off the market, at least via transfer," Kieta said.

Although several reserves were on the list, the most significant name was Slovakian striker Szilard Németh, who has not made quite the splash that was expected when he was signed away from Inter Bratislava, one of the top clubs in Slovakia. Németh scored 39 goals in two seasons with Inter Bratislava but has only tallied 10 in the same time with Middlesborough.

Kieta said Németh would have the same chance to prove himself this preseason that everyone else does.

Kieta did say he would honor the continuing loan agreements the club had transacted in the past few months, including the current loan-ins of forward Bolo Zenden from Chelsea, midfielder Gaizka Mendieta from Lazio, and defender Danny Mills from Leeds United. The Boro have already sent out defender Robbie Stockdale on loan to First Division West Ham.

A number of reserves and Under-19 Boro players remain available for loan, including backup midfielder Mark Wilson.

Kieta was noncommittal on what timeframe he was looking at to get familiar with the team.

"We'll just have to see how long it take," Kieta said. "It could be soon, or it could take some time."

Until then, the roster appears to be set.

Old 02-13-2004, 02:33 AM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WEDNESDAY, July 9, 2003

Players Feeling Out New Boss

Reaction To First Team Workout Positive

MIDDLESBOROUGH-- For all the upheaval at the head of the organization, you couldn't tell from the practice facilities outside Riverside Stadium Tuesday.

The familiar sounds of players grunting through their first exercises rang through the air as the squad officially began to prepare for the upcoming season.

The exercises were preceded by a team-only meeting in which the side was introduced to new interim manager Matthew Kieta. The players came out cautiously optimistic.

"He seems to know he's stuff," defender and captain Gareth Southgate said. "He acknowledged he would be coming from behind on things, and could use the help the veteran players to help him ge6t aclcimated."

The team's emotional leader and most popular player, Brazillian midfielder Juninho, agreed.

"He knows enough not to rush into this," Juninho said. "That's always a good sign. It's better to be careful when you're in unfamiliar territory."

Kieta displayed that cautious approach Monday, when he removed several players from the transfer list, including striker Szilard Németh and injured winger Allan Johnston.

"I'm his biggest fan," Németh said with a grin.

Németh said he felt the tension that had been around the club since the surprise holiday by former manager Steve McLaren eased somewhat with the announcement about the transfer list removals.

"People are a little more sure of where they will be in the next month or so," the Slovakian striker said. "Two months? Who knows? But for now, it feels okay."

Longtime vets defender Colin Cooper and incumbent goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer were guardedly positive, but admitted they missed the popular McLaren.

"I'm sure [Kieta] is going to do a fine job here," Cooper said, "but Steve really had a handle on things. I hope he will return to us at some point."

McLaren has not been available for comment.

Old 02-13-2004, 03:28 AM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY, July 10, 2003

Arsenal Looking To Maldini

Web Report Says Club Interested In Italian Defender

LONDON-- Arsenal is looking to bring aboard longtime Italian international and AC Milan defender Paolo Maldini, according to soccer.net.

The site devoted to football news said officials in Highbury were inquiring about Maldini's availability. The report says Maldini, 35, would be used to help with quality depth on Arsenal's backline.

Maldini is a household name for any Italian and worldwide football fan. He has racked up 126 caps and 7 international goals in 19 seasons of professional soccer. The stout defender is considered to be an ideal veteran leader and steadfastly loyal. Maldini has played every single one of his professional seasons with AC Milan.

The report said that the transfer fee, were it to come to pass, would be around £1.7 M.

Neither manager Arsene Wenger nor any other officials with Arsenal

Leicester City Looking To American Striker

LEICESTER-- Premiership side Leicester City has reportedly offered £220,000 to the Cleveland River Fire for the rights to striker Kevin King.

The 26-year-old American striker has already racked up 21 goals in international competition, to go along with his 56 caps. Given his international history, he would not face problems getting a work permit for the move.

Leicester is reportedly not the only club interested, as a laundry list of other clubs, including fellow EPL sides Blackburn and Southampton, have also expressed interest.

King himself said he currently has no interest in leaving the Fire right now, though.

"I am really enjoying my time here in Cleveland," King said. "I am American and I love playing my game in the States. I'm not sure the prestige of Europe will be enough for me to pick up and leave."

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-13-2004 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:45 AM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

FRIDAY, July 11, 2003

Ancelotti: Maldini Stays

AC Milan Manager Denies Rumors Of Arsenal Transfer

MILAN, Italy-- Manager Carlo Ancelotti strongly denied that veteran star defender Paolo Maldini would be going anywhere, much less to Arsenal, as was reported by soccer.net Wednesday.

"Under no circumstances would I choose to move Paolo from the only side he has ever known," Ancelotti said. "He remains an integral part of my plans for the club."

Maldini, a 35-year-old star of Italy's internastional team, and a 19-year-veteran whom has never played for anyone but AC Milan, has 126 caps and has scored 7 international goals.

Ancelotti refused to speculate on the level of interest he thinks Maldini would receive were he to make himself available.

Officials at soccer.net did not back down, releasing a new report in which Deportivo of La Ligua might also be interested in Maldini's services.

Neither Arsenal nor Deportivo officials would comment for the report.

Old 02-13-2004, 03:48 AM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Calcio update? Ehwha? Linky Linky?
Old 02-13-2004, 03:54 AM   #16
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Calcio update? Ehwha? Linky Linky?

Do you have access to the SIGames forums?

Just go to the Training & Tactics forum. You should find a thread or two there dedicated to the Calcio update, including a large 11-page (or maybe larger now) thread.

The updater is a poster by the name of Arsenal71 (gee, I wonder who he roots for...). If you look at the small type under his name by his posts, you will see the URL.

He seems pretty dedicated to a realistic update, although he admitted some of his updates outside of Europe, particularly in South America and in the U.S. aren't fully up to speed yet (for instance, Adu hasn't been added yet, and not all of the MLS teams have been converted from their CM0304 names or even added at all).

But overall it's a very solid update and the guy who did it seems intent to keep it up. Apparently he did updates in the past for other CMs, too.

CR

Old 02-14-2004, 02:42 AM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, July 13, 2003

Wilson Headed Back To Stoke?

Stoke Area Media Reporting Loan Deal For Midfielder Done

MIDDLESBOROUGH-- Rumors swirled around Riverside Stadium Saturday when reports surfaced linking once promising midfielder Mark Wilson with a move back to Stoke City.

Media in Stoke City are reporting that Wilson will be loaned back to the First Division club, where Wilson spent a couple months of the 2002-03 season. Wilson played in four matches for Stoke City, going scoreless. No other specific details of the proposed deal have been made public.

Neither Stoke City nor Middlesborough officials chose to comment on the rumors, although neither side denied them either.

Interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta refused to comment Saturday before taking his team up to Brechin, Scotland. The club will be opening its preseason friendly fixture today with a match against Scottish First Division Brechin City. Wilson went with the club and no indication has been given as to what playing time, if any, he might see today.

Wilson was acquired in a much publicized deal from Manchester United, along with forward Jonathon Greening, just prior to the 2001-02 season. Both players played internationally for England's U-21 squad and were thought to have huge upside.

While Greening has solidified a role in the first team rotation, Wilson has not progressed as well. He has been mostly relegated to a role on the reserve squad, and has only appeared in 16 games the past two seasons for the Boro. He has yet to score a goal for Middlesborough.

A loan back to Stoke City would likely give Wilson first team experience he isn't likely to see this year in Middlesborough.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-14-2004 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:36 AM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, July 13, 2003

MIDDLESBROUGH PRESEASON PREVIEW

New Faces Key To Boro Season

MIDDLESBROUGH-- The usual cast of characters got the Boro a middle of the table finish last season, good for 49 points and an 11th-place finish.

The question this year was going to be about that group taking the next step into the upper end of the Premiership table, with some help from some key new additions.

As it turns out, that improvement might be needed just to overcome the surprise addition of a heretofore unknown interim manager in Matthew Kieta.

While Boro management remains upbeat and positive about the upcoming season, observers outside of the club maintain that it could be very difficult for the club to even meet last year's mid-level placing if Kieta--whom has never coached in English football--needs anything but a very short adjustment period to play in England's top league.

If Kieta makes the transition quickly, this team might have just as much potential as any of the lower end Premiership sides to make the jump to a top ten finish and a future in the European competitions. If he doesn't, they might find themselves fighting relegation.

Forwards

Kieta said last week that he is going into this season with no preconceived notions about his players. Anyone can play their way into a major role for this squad.

Given that, Kieta has the nice dilemma of having a wealth of forwards to consider for the front line spots.

While the Boro don't have a true striker star in the mold of a Thierry Henry or Ruud van Nistelrooy, they do have an up and coming star in the young Italian Massimo Maccarone. In his first season with the Boro, Maccarone quickly became the club's leading offensive power in front of the net, leading the Boro with nine goals. He should be a lock for the top striker spot.

The sheer depth at the position likely ensures that Kieta will employ more than one striker, although he has given no indication of what tactics he would consider.

Last season, former manager Steve McLaren employed a 4-4-2, but the second striker spot was in a constant state of flux. Croation striker Alen Boksic was a huge disappointment, tallying just two goals before being replaced on the first team. While Boksic's replacement, Slovakian forward Szilard Némethm finished with a second-best seven goals, he was very inconsistent and eventually earned his way into McLaren's doghouse and a trip to the transfer list that wasn't removed until Kieta arrived ont he scene last week.

Németh is just one of several potential candidates for the second spot. Young Malcolm Christie scored four goals in 12 appearances and has the potential to produce far more, assuming his excellent sideline skills don't instead earn him a trip to the Boro's depleted wing position. Cameroonian international Joseph-Désiré Job (four goals) also contributed in spot time and is a smart player in front of the net.

Should any of those candidates falter or get hurt, Kieta might turn to a wealth of attacking midfielders, the club's deepest position, to provide more answers.

Midfielders

The two key names to remember here are newcomers Bolo Zenden, on loan from Chelsea, and Gaizka Mendieta, from Lazio in Italy.

Both effective innovators in and around the box, they could provide a boost to the club's sagging midfield, which boasts several excellent forwards, but very little true ball-movers or effective wingers.

Mendieta and Zenden both have something to prove.

The Dutch Zenden has always been more flash than results. He has logged a lot of time as an effective passer, but he won't ascend to the next level until he manages to push a few more past the netminders. He scored just one goal in 21 matches with Chelsea last season. He is very good crossing the ball, though, which may earn him time on the right wing.

Mendieta is the closest thing the Boro have to a traditional midfielder. When he played with Valencia in Spain in the late 90s, he was among the better offensive eprformers in the league. His time at Lazio has been nightmarish, however, where he has yet to score a goal in two seasons, and didn't even appear in a first team match with the Italian power last season. He has the inside track on the midle of the Riverside pitch.

The attention Mendieta and Zenden will liekly command will only help free up the always dangerous Juninho. The flamboyant Brazillian attack midfielder returns to lend his superior touch to the Boro's offensive engine. He remains the first name coaches consider when they are seeking to stop the Boro, which makes the blossoming of help from elsewhere all the more important.

Wing could be a problem, where key left winger Allan Johnston is recuperating from a serious knee injury. He won't be ready to return until early 2004 at the soonest. Christie and Zenden will certainly be looked at here, as will Jonathon Greening and maybe Németh, should he be beat out up front. French wingback Franck Queudreu will likely get serious time at the left wing, where he is one of the few effective sideline operators who can work the left side.

Defenders

What was a strength is now somewhat in flux.

Ugo Ehiogu, the punishing centre back, hurt his knee near the end of the season last year, and like Johnston, will liekly be out of action until well past the half point of the season.

Captain Gareth Southgate will have to man the box without the security blanket of Ehiogu, who's presence allowed Southgate to roam further out of zone and make use of his excellent man-marking skills.

Now the Boro will likely have to turn to the young Chris Riggott. One of the more exciting defensive youngsters on the rise, Riggott saw serious time at right wingback and as Ehiogu's replacement at teh end of last season, but it will take another full season to know if he is ready to handle this much responsibility.

With Riggott back in centre and Queudreu likely resuming his role ont he wing, the Boro aren't very deep at wingback. They do get a big boost from the acquisition of Leeds' halfback Danny Mills, an exciting and versatile defender with midfielder skills. He is strong in his own end, but the urge to use Mills more forward, perhaps at defensive midfielder, might be too strong for Kieta to ignore.

Irish halfback Brian Close and Andrew Davies will also have to step into larger roles to fill in the gaps. While both have serious talent, they aren't as far along as Riggott, and the Boro will need strong efforts on their parts to disrupt some of the powerful crossing games of many Premiership teams.

Mills will see time somewhere. If he doesn't land in the defensive midfield, the position will likely come down to a battle between steady George Boateng and the more exciting, but inconsistent Doriva.

Goalkeepers

The one significant transfer the Boro took on was the acquisition of Manchester City's Carlo Nash. While Nash was unable to establish himself as the top netminder at City, he showed enought o be regarded as a player just waiting for a chance. This could be it.

With Welsh backup keeper Mark Crossley departed from the club, Nash will see serious time behind longtime starter Australian Mark Schwarzer. Indeed, many observers think Nash might be better than Schwarzer and the two could have a bitter battle for the net in the preseason. Schwarzer is a team leader and has some of the most seniority on the squad, but his play was inconsistent last year.

The quest to see how the pieces fit begins today at Glebe Park in Brechin, Scotland. With so many questions unanswered and starting spots up for grabs, this could be one of the most critical preseasons in Boro history.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-14-2004 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:25 AM   #19
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Good lord. I thought I was over my CM addiction. I haven't purchased CM 03/04 yet, but I am going to have to now. Herion has nothing on this.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:32 AM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Afoci
Good lord. I thought I was over my CM addiction. I haven't purchased CM 03/04 yet, but I am going to have to now. Herion has nothing on this.

Marc Vaughan, send my game promotion check to 917 Sutter Creek Road...

CR

Old 02-15-2004, 03:24 AM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, July 13, 2003

Maldini Denies Arsenal Rumors

MILAN, Italy-- Longtime international veteran defender Paolo Maldini denied the rumors that he was on his way to Arsenal in a transfer, in an interview with soccer.net.

Maldini said he "appreciated [Arsenal's] interest", but that he had no interest in leaving AC Milan, the Italian power for whom he had played all of his 19 years of professional soccer.

Last week, soccer.net reported that Arsenal was looking at Maldini, a 35-year-old veteran of 126 international matches for Italy, to help out along the English power's back line. The rumored move was reportedly going to cost Arsenal £1.7 M.

Arsenal never officially commented ont he deal, although they did not deny interest either.

Last Thursday, Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti adamantly denied that Maldini was going anywhere, and indicated the defender was still an integral part of the squad.

English Football Notes

Two lower division sides have made or are about to make managerial moves.

Third Division Cheltenham Town named former international player Chris Waddle as the new player-manager of the club.

Waddle, a 42-year-old midfielder whom has appeared in 62 international matches for England, hasn't played in the higher leagues since he did a short stint with another Third Division club in Torquay in the 1998-99 season. He played with lower division club Worksop after Torquay for the past couple seasons, but has since been out of football.

Waddle is best known as a top offensive performer for Newcastle United and Tottenham in the early 80s. His best year was 1983-84, when he scored 18 goals for Newcastle.

Today, Peterborough of the Second Division is expected to name Paul Ashworth their new manager. Ashworth, at the tender age of 29, is a surprising hire, given his age, but he is considered to be a bright up-and-comer by some observers.

Old 02-15-2004, 04:11 AM   #22
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Chief.. you are one of the few people here I would LOVE to play a full multiplayer game against
Old 02-15-2004, 04:20 AM   #23
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Chief.. you are one of the few people here I would LOVE to play a full multiplayer game against

I hope that's because you think it would be fun to do so, and not because you would wipe the pitch with me.

Too bad I have never really gotten into multiplayer CM. I guess I'm more of a single shooter.

CR

Old 02-15-2004, 05:04 AM   #24
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Er... yeah. the first. Whatever you say.
'
No seriously, it's fun to read this and the other CM dynasties here
Old 02-15-2004, 06:00 AM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

MONDAY, July 14, 2003

Boro Drop Preseason Opener

Brechin Striker Gibson Scores Hat Trick

BRECHIN, Scotland-- Sure, it's just a preseason friendly. But no one from Middlesbrough is going to be saving the tape of this one for highlights.

Scottish First Division squad Brechin City embarrassed the Premiership squad, 3-1, at Glebe Park Sunday afternoon. Reserve striker Graham Gibson notched three quick goals early in the second half to score the hattrcik and doom the Boro to a miserable opening to the 2003-04 season.

Interim manager Matthew Kieta, who took over the Boro just last week, had a rough start to his coaching career in England. It was clear--even in the scoreless first half--that Middlesbrough was being strongly outplayed by host Brechin City.

The hosts outshot the Boro 15-5, with 12 of those shots on target. By and large, Brechin City controlled the flow of play, keeping the ball in Middlebrough's defensive zone for much of the game, and allowing few good runs by the visiting squad. The Boro would have been shut out entirely except for a penalty scored by striker Joseph-Désiré Job in extra time.

Kieta took the blame for the loss, saying he should have pressed the team farther early on.

"I instructed the team to lay back and play this one easy," Kieta said. "I didn't want to turn a preseason friendly into a hard-hitting match, when we're both just trying to round our sides into form. Apparently, that took the edge out of the guys. They just didn't put out the effort we need to see to play this game, much less win against a determined opponent like Brechin today."

Kieta said he turned the pressure on after Gibson scored his third goal just 16 minutes into the second half. The Boro, by then playing all reserves, were more consistent in the later going, making some runs on offense and keeping Brechin City scoreless from that point on. But it was too little, too late.

In the first half, shots were few for either side. Despite playing stand off ball, the Boro backline played very well. Chris Riggott and Gareth Southgate were very solid in front of the box, with Riggott playing a very effective defensive air game. When Brechin did get shots to the net--they got five--Mark Schwarzer was up to the task, stopping all shots.

It was on offense that the Boro first team did the most poorly. Neither striker, Massimo Maccarone or Malcolm Christie, played well. Both were dominated by Brechin City defenders in the air, and the side as a whole failed to connect even a single crossing pass, despite that being a staple of Kieta's intricate five-tiered tactic.

Midfielder Gaizka Mendieta got the Boro's only shot on goal in the first half, a shot that barely tested Brechin keeper Derek Soutar.

"I thought the first team defense played very well, even playing light," Kieta said. "I was especially encouraged by how strong we are in the air and how well we moved the ball away from danger. That will be key when the real matches start up."

He had less positive comments for the wingers and strikers.

"Other than Juninho, who had some great runs to try and get something going, no one in our first team front half showed anything resembling what we're going to need to get it done," Kieta said. "This is a new tactic and these guys are learning. But we should have a better grasp of things by now."

The second team defense had more than they could handle in Gibson and his cohorts. The pressure was on reserve keeper Carlo Nash from the get-go. Gibson's first goal came in the 48th minute after very strong pressure by Brechin. Nash turned away three shots, and the Boro defense cleared out a couple more opportunities before Gibson managed to pounce on a Nash rebound and blast it over the keeper's shoulder, into the upper right corner of the net.

It took just five minutes for Gibson to get on the board again. Gibson received a pass into the box from winger Chris Templeman and hit it high and hard. Nash was able to block that off, but once again his rebound fell to Gibson's feet and the striker quickly applied the finish to a wide open net.

Gibson finsihed off the hat in the 61st minute when Gibson got to an errant long pass that bounced off of Boro defender David Murphy. The ball had taken a surprise bounce and Nash was unable to react in time before Gibson was able to finish it off.

The Boro's only score came in extra time when Brechin City midfielder Kevin McLeish pushed Job down as they fought for a Michael Ricketts pass in the box from the byline. Given the penalty, Job shot the ball past reserve keeper Steven van der Deyl with ease. Van der Deyl guessed wrong as Job put a sharp low shot into the lower left corner.

Kieta said Job and winger Stuart Downing played very well, and he also said that Nash was very solid considering the poor defense that was played in front of him.

"Carlo needs to work on those rebounds a bit," Kieta said, "but I thought he did rather well with all the pressure. He faced a 10-shot attack in the second half, and almost all of them were on-goal."

Nash and Shwarzer are expected be battling out for the top keeper position this preseason.

The Boro will now be off until they begin a four-match tour of Portugal on July 23 against Nacional da Madeira of the Portueguese Superleague.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-15-2004 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:01 AM   #26
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Er... yeah. the first. Whatever you say.
'
No seriously, it's fun to read this and the other CM dynasties here

I'm glad you enjoy it. I hope others follow suit. It's always fun to write for a captive audience.

Now go get the new coaches situated in FOFC FBCB so we can move on to scheduling!

CR

Old 02-16-2004, 01:18 AM   #27
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

MONDAY, July 14, 2003

[English Football blurb...]

* Totenham Hotspur have arranged for a free transfer of young Danish striker Martin Andersen. The Premiership side will receive the striker from Dabish First Division Vejle Boldklub on January 1, 2004. Andersen, an 18-year-old Veije reserve, has never played in an official first team match in Denmark.

[other sports news...]

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-16-2004 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:24 AM   #28
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

TUESDAY, July 15, 2003

Wilson Agrees To Stoke Loan

Boro Midfielder Hopes To Get First Team Experience

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Midfielder Mark Wilson will be sent on a three-month loan with First Division Stoke City, club officials announced Monday.

The release confirms reports circulated Saturday about the move. Neither Middlesbroguh nor Stoke City would confirm the reports, and Wilson actually played for the Boro in their preseason opening loss to Scottish First Division side Brechin City on Sunday.

"{Middlesbrough officials] feel that Mark Wilson will gain invaluable experience from returning to Stoke City for another stint this season," read a press release announcing the move. Other than the release, the club refused to comment.

As Monday was the day after the Brechin City match, Wilson had the day off with the rest of the club, and was unable to be reached. The club release said Wilson has agreed to the move.

The deal, which is expected to be completed today, would last for three months, with Stoke City picking up £220,000 of Wilson's £725,000 contract for the duration of the lone.

Wilson was not expected to earn a first team spot with the Boro, and was likely going to be playing for the club reserves this season.

Wilson has been the subject of some disappointment for Boro followers. The once promising midfielder was acquired in a much ballyhooed transfer with attacking midfielder Jonathon Greening from Premiership power Manchester United. While Greening has established himself as a first team regular, Wilson has yet to find his niche. Both are former members of England's Under-21 national side.

Wilson is expected to see regular time with Stoke City, with the loan running out in October.

English Football Notes

*...French Ligue One side FC Nantes Atlantique manager Loïc Amisse may have ignited a firestorm on his own club by inquiring about the availability of veteran French-Armenian midfielder Youri Djorkaeff, currently playing with the Premiership's Bolton Wanderers.

Asked about rumors of his interest, Amisse confirmed that he was looking at the veteran French international to provide needed experience for his club.

The report triggered a furious response from current Nantes' first team midfielder Stéphane Ziani, who believes the inquiry on Djorkaeff is an attempt to replace him.

"I find this to be very underhanded of [Amisse]", Ziani said. "I have given three seasons of my career to this club and believe I deserve better."

Neither officials from Bolton nor Djorkaeff himself could be reached for comment. Djorkaeff is thought by football observers to be likely to draw around £400,000 in transfer fees, were a move to come to pass.

The 35-year-old attacking midfielder has been playing with the Wanderers for just a season and a half after being transferred from German Bundesliga side Kaiserslautern late in the 2001-02 season. He has scored 11 goals in 48 matches with Bolton.

Djorkaeff has collected 82 caps for France, scoring 26 goals in international appearances. Djorkaeff was once considered one of the best midfielders in the French leagues when he played with Monaco and Paris-SG from 1990-1995. He hasn't reached double digits in goals in a season since his first year with Kaiserslautern in 1999-00.

The 30-year-old Ziani, also French, has never been capped at the international level. He scored two goals in 30 appearances last season.

*...Aston Villa has worked out a future free transfer for Norwegian centreback Pål Steffen Andresen. Andresen, 21, is currently playing with Norway's Premier Division side Lillestrom. The transfer to the Premiership side is expected to go through on December 2, after the completion of the Norwegian Premier Dviision season. Andresen has two goals and two assists in 18 matches with Lillestrom so far this year.

Old 02-16-2004, 02:26 AM   #29
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Oh no, Rum started a dynasty. There goes any free time I had.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 03:03 AM   #30
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WEDNESDAY, July 16, 2003

Kieta Meets With Press

New Boro Manager Faces Onslaught Of Questions

MIDDLESBROUGH-- New Boro interim manager Matthew Kieta said he would meet with the press every Tuesday in season.

He got more than he bargained for at his first such press conference Tuesday.

Kieta tiptoed through a minefield of questions on issues ranging from his lack of experience in English football to Middlesbrough FC's bad showing against Brechin City Sunday.

Kieta lost his debut to the Scottish First Division club, 3-1, after being a surprise hire for the Premiership club last week.

"Maybe this wasn't such a good idea," Kieta quipped at one point.

For the most part, Kieta seemed to manage the questions well, but none of his answers are likely to put at ease the concerns of both supporters and football observers over the American's shocking appointment to one of the premier jobs in English football.

Kieta also spoke about the loan of midfielder Mark Wilson, noting that the key reserve was already on his way to Stoke City for a three-month loan Tuesday.

"[Sunday's game] was just a bad set of circumstances for these guys," Kieta said. "I don't want to make excuses, but the fact of the matter is we're not in seasoned condition yet and the side was learning a new tactic and how to play for a new manager."

Kieta said Sunday that he was to blame for the loss, after he instructed the team to lay off Brechin City's players.

"I'm still learning, too, you know," Kieta said. "I thought it was the right thing to do at the time. We want to see hard play out there, but I didn't see any sense in getting any of our players--or theirs--hurt in a preseason friendly like this. By the time I realized that might have taken some spirit out of the boys, we were down big."

Kieta said he freed up the reins quite a bit in the second half, after Brechin striker Graham Gibson put across a quick second half hat trick.

"The match was revealing about this squad as well," Kieta said. "I have a much better feel now for what kind of talent I have on this team."

The manager said he was happy with the play of the defense and with both goalkeepers, but that the offense had a long way to go. He refused to speculate on the actual composition of the first team when the Boro open the Premiership season against Tottenham at Riverside Stadium on August 16.

Kieta said he doesn't expect his inexperience to be an issue when the Premiership season begins in August.

"Football is football, whether it is played here or in the States or in Khazakhstan," Kieta said. "I need to get to know this team, and I need to get to know the league. Neither should take me long."

Kieta said the Wilson deal might not be the only move the club moves before the season starts.

"We have our scouts out looking at potential players, especially on the right wing and in backline depth," Kieta said. "We're looking at more loans and Bosmans, too. I have the go ahead to get anyone whom I think will help this team, within reason."

Club chairman Steve Gibson has made about £5 M in transfer funds available to Kieta, and the club is currently £1.7 M under its wage budget for the season.

The club returns to preseason training in anticipation of the remainder of its friendly schedule. The club wiull embark on a four-match tour of Portugal on July 23.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-16-2004 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:20 AM   #31
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
Oh no, Rum started a dynasty. There goes any free time I had.

lol...your free time?!? You're just reading it. Think what I am going through (albeit willfully)!

CR

Old 02-16-2004, 03:34 AM   #32
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WEDNESDAY, July 16, 2003

Arsenal, Man U Battling For Cruzeiro's Alex

MINEIRAO, Brazil-- Reports in Brazil are circulating that England powers Arsenal and Manchester United might be duking it out for the rights to Brazilian left winger Alex of Cruzeiro FC.

Neither of the two wealthy clubs are expected to balk at Alex's likely transfer fee, which is estimated to end up at around some £15 M.

Alex, born Alexsandro de Souza, has dominated play in Brazil's first division, with 10 goals and 12 assists in 30 matches so far this season.

The winger, just 25 years old, has already appeared in 30 matches for the powerful Brazil national team, the current holder of the World Cup. He has scored 10 goals in international competition.

Neither Alex nor officials at Cruzeiro would comment on the rumors Tuesday. Moving Alex might be very difficult for Cruzeiro to do, as they are currently second in the First Division, just a point behind Santos.

Platt Signed On By Crystal Palace

Officials at Selhurst Park in London announced the hiring of former international star David Platt to become the new manager of First Divison Crystal Palace.

Platt, 37, appeared in 62 international matches for England, scoring 27 goals in those appearances. He starred in the Premiership with Arsenal and Aston Villa.

Old 02-16-2004, 05:06 AM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY, July 17, 2003

Mallberg Drawing Interest From Spain

Two La Liga Teams Are Looking At The Villa Defender

BIRMINGHAM-- Spanish clubs Mallorca and Sevilla are reportedly looking at adding Aston Villa's Swedish centreback Olaf Mellberg, according to Planetfootball.com.

Both Spanish clubs confirmed the interest, although neither Aston Villa officials nor Mellberg were available for comment.

Mellberg's agent, David Vichny, however, indicated to the football Web site that Mellberg would be tempted by a move back to Spain.

Mellberg, a star of Sweden's international team, played in La Liga One with Racing Santander from 1998-2000, and speaks fluent Spanish.

The defender, 25, has been with Aston Villa for two seasons now. He appeared in 38 matches with the Premiership side last season, scoring one goal.

Mellberg has been capped 35 times for Sweden. Any transfer fee is likely to number at least at £3 M.

Allardyce Says Djorkaeff Stays

BOLTON-- Responding to a French La Ligue One manager's interest in one of his players, Bolton Wanderers manager Sam Allardyce warned clubs to stay away from French midfielder Youri Djorkaeff.

Allardyce said he had no interest in moving the star French midfielder, recently revealed as a target of FC Nantes Atlantique and their manager Loïc Amisse.

Amisse told French media Monday that he was considering a run at Djorkaeff to add experience to his club's midfield.

Allardyce said he had no interest at all in moving the 35-year-old veteran international midfielder.

Djorkaeff has scored 11 goals in 48 matches in just over a season with the Wanderes. He is a veteran of 82 international matches with France, including 26 goals in those matches.

Were Djorkeaff to return to La Ligue One, it would be his first time back playing in the division in which he first became a star since he left Paris-SG in 1996.

Amisse's announcement has backfired on his own team, where he has inspired the ire of current Nantes midfielder Stéphane Ziani, who thinks that Amisse wants to bring Djorkaeff in to replace him.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-16-2004 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #34
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

FRIDAY, July 18, 2003

Boro To Loan Murphy

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Well-regarded up-and-coming defender and defensive midfielder David Murphy looks likely to be on his way off Teesside for a little while.

First Division Watford and Second Division Barnsley are both interested in loaning the 19-year-old halfback's services for anywhere from three months to a year.

"I have been available on loan since last season," Murphy said. "I know I will only get sporadic play here, so I am looking forward to a loan and a chance to prove myself."

Interim manager Matthew Kieta refused to comment for the story. Murphy said something could be doen by the end of the weekend.

No details of the loan offers have gotten out, although both lower division sides confirmed their interest.

The Boro loaned out midfielder Mark Wilson earlier this week to First Division Stoke City.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-17-2004 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:52 PM   #35
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SATURDAY, July 19, 2003

Transfer Moves Rebuffed

BIRMINGHAM-- Aston Villa manager David O'Leary denied that his star Swedish defender Olaf Mellberg would not be going anywhere, and in Brazil, Cruzeiro manager Vanderley Luxemburgo echoed those thoughts in regard to his star midfielder Alex.

Mellberg, 25, has been the target of interest by Spanish La Liga One clubs Mallorca and Sevilla. Mallorca was reportedly leading the way for the services of the veteran of 35 Swedish international matches.

O'Leary said he wasn't go to sell Mellberg to anyone, so "you might as well leave us alone."

Arsenal was reportedly leading a hot race for the services of Alex, whom has dominated play in Brazil's National First Division with 10 goals and 12 assist in 30 matches.

Luxemburgo put the kibosh on that, though, saying he could think of no circumstances under which he would be compelled to move the exciting Brazilian winger.

A move for Alex, already a veteran of 30 Brazil international matches despite being just 25, was thought to be int he range of £15 M, and Manchester United was interested as well.

Old 02-16-2004, 03:02 PM   #36
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SUNDAY, July 20, 2003

Djorkaeff Staying, Alex Still Coming?

BOLTON-- Veteran French star midfielder Youri Djarkaeff says he is happy at Bolton and wants to stay.

Djorkaeff told Planetfootball.com that he wants to stay with the Premiership's Wanderers for the foreseeable future, and has no interest right now in returning to the French La Ligue One.

That league's FC Nantes Atlantique manager Loïc Amisse triggered responses in both Nantes and Bolton when told reporters Monday that he was looking to bring Djorkaeff on to add experience to his midfield.

The move caused negative reactions from both starting Nantes midfielder Stéphane Ziani and Bolton boss Sam Allardyce.

Ziani said he felt the inquiry into Djorkaeff was an attempt to replace him. Allardyce said on Thursday he has no intentions of moving the attacking midfielder to any clubs, much less Nantes.

Djorkaeff, 35, is a veteran of 82 French international matches, with 26 goals. He has scored 11 goals in 48 matches with Bolton over the past season and change.

In other news, Alex told local media in Brazil that he wasn't as locked into staying at Cruzeiro as his manager was. Alex said he would be "very tempted" by a move that have him choosing between staying in Cruzeiro or taking the opportunity to play with a world power like Arsenal in the English Premiership League.

Rumors have swirled for days around the star winger, whom has dominated play in Brazil's National First Division with 10 goals and 12 assists in 30 matches this season.

Reports had interest from heavyweights like Arsenal and Macnhester United, and transfer fees approaching a mammoth £15 M.

Friday, Cruzeiro manager Vanderley Luxemburgo said he has no interest in moving Alex, whom at 25 has already appeared in 30 matches for the powerful Brazil international squad.

Other English Football Notes

The Nationwide Conference's Hereford Bulls went around the world for their new manager.

Mal Donaghy, 40, the former Irish international has been hired away from his current employ, Geylang United of the Second Division Singaporean league, to be the new boss of the Bulls.

Donaghy appeared in 91 matches for Northern Ireland in his playing days.

Old 02-16-2004, 03:48 PM   #37
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

(Press Conference Question from the Daily Times)

Mr. Kieta...everyone is wondering about your future plans for the team. Other than loans, you have been very quiet in the transfer market. Usually when a new owner is hired he has players that he is worked with in the past that he brings to the club. I know you are inexperinced but certianly you have some players in mind?

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 02-16-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:52 PM   #38
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Good start so far.

I signed Danny Murphy for Benfica from Boro in CM4 and he did a pretty solid job for me, but this was a few years down the line, 2007 maybe.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:43 AM   #39
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

GE: Cool, my first question. Next press conference is Tuesday (in game).

ice: Yeah, Murphy seems to have some good upside. I just don't think he's ready to be guarding EPL-level strikers, though, right now, even on a backup basis. I am hoping he gets some good experience there.

The only downer to my loans of players he won't play first team for me is that they won't benefit from my training schedule, which I think is a good one (I stole it from the Tactics & Training forum ).

CR

Old 02-17-2004, 03:05 AM   #40
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

MONDAY, July 21, 2003

Murphy Heads To Watford

MIDDLESBROUGH-- Two lower division sides vied for the services of Boro reserve defender David Murphy, and Watford won out.

Murphy has agreed to the loan move to the First Division Hornets, where he will play for the next three months.

Interim manager Matthew Kieta said the fact Watford was willing to pick up more than half of Murphy's salary was a primary factor in them being selected over the other bidding side, Second Division Barnsley. The manager also said he wanted Murphy to get experience at the first division level of play, which Barnsley can't provide.

Murphy, 19, will head to Watford immediately, where he will stay until October.

Murphy, a well-regarded defender and defensive midfielder, was not expected to see significant first team playing time, and might not have even made the team. Murphy appeared in eight matches last season for Middlesbrough.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:39 AM   #41
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

MONDAY, July 21, 2003

Arsenal Brings In Perrotta

Starting Midfielder Edu Concerned About Transfer

LONDON-- After trying to bring in top AC Milan Italian defender Paolo Maldini and then Brazilian star winger Alex from Cruzeiro, Arsenal finally struck gold when they negotiated the transfer of midfielder SImone Perrotta from Chievos Verona of Serie A.

The Italian 25-year-old midfielder is capped at the international level and was starting for a side in one of the world's top leagues in Italy's Serie A.

Arsenal paid Chievos £8 M for a transfer fee. Perotta signed a 3-year, £4.5 M deal with the English superpower.

The midfielder scored one goal in 32 appearances last season with Chievos.

Perrotta, whom has appeared in nine matches for Italy's national squad, is not unknown in England. The midfielder was born in Ashton-under-Lyne and enjoys dual citzenship with both the United Kingdom and Italy.

Not everyone was happy with the move, though.

Part timer Edu, the well-regarded 25-year-old Brazilian midfielder, said he is concerned that Perrotta's arrival might mean there's too much competition at his position.

"There are just too many players competing for first team spots here," Edu said. "I'm not afraid to fight for my time on this club, but this move was not needed."

Edu, never a quiet person, has been known to make irreverant and heated off-the-cuff remarks. Manager Arsen Wenger refused to comment on his or Perrotta's status with the club, other than to say they would both see plenty of time on the pitch.

In addition to Edu and Perrotta, Arsenal also has star French midfielder Patrick Vieira and Brazilian midfielder Gilberto, with whom Edu is close.

Edu scored two goals in 18 appearances with Arsenal last season.

English Football Notes

*...Planetfootball.com is reporting that Primera Liga squad Deportivo is very interested in Fulham's star French attack midfielder Steed Malbranque.

Malbranque, 23, is one of the Premiership club's best offensive options. He scored six goals last season and eight goals the year before that. Malbranque has been with Fulham since 2001, after he was transferred from French La Ligue One side Lyon.

Malbranque, who is also part Belgian, is thought to draw at least a £4 M price tag in trasnfer fees.

Fulham officials were not available for comment.

*...The transfer of Brazilian halfback star Lùcio to Newcastle United is one more step to happening.

Lùcio, 25, only requires a work permit to complete the move from German Bundesliga power Leverkusen, where he has played for the past three seasons.

The well-regarded defender has been capped with Brazil's powerful national side in 29 matches, and he scores an unusual amount of goals for a backline player, with 12 goals in 65 matches in the Bundesliga since 2000.

The English Football Asscoiation has scheduled the work permit hearing for Lùcio, nee Lucimar de Silva Ferreira, on August 3.

A world class talent, Lùcio would likely be a huge addition for Newcastle.

*...Manchester City's loan out of attacking midfielder Lee Croft to First Division Coventry City fell through because of an odd mix up in loan limits.

"I take the blame myself," Coventry manager Eric Black said. "I thought we could have more loaned-in players than we can."

Coventry is limited to four loan players in their squad, and they already have Liverpool defender Stephen Warnock, Newcastle midfielder Jamie McClen, Le Havre defensive midfielder Yazid Mansouri, and Tottenham attacking midfielder Johnnie Jackson on their roster.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-18-2004 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:57 AM   #42
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

TUESDAY, July 22, 2003

Coleman: Malbranque Stays

LONDON-- Reacting to a weekend report that Primera Liga side Deportivo was interested in his star attacking midfielder Steed Malbranque, Fulham boss Chris Coleman said he wouldn't sell the French player at any price.

"[Malbranque] is far too important to this squad to move him out," Coleman said. "He is a key to our season, and is unavailable at any cost."

Malbranque could not be reached for comment.

Planetfootball.com reported Deportivo's interest Sunday. Deportivo officials could not be reached for comment.

Malbranque, 23, scored six goals with Fulham last season, and eight in 2001-02.

Mellberg Intrigued By Mallorca's Interest

...Aston Villa's Swedish star centreback Olaf Mellberg admitted that he was "intrigued" by the interest being shown him by Primera Liga power Mallorca.

He said it would be very difficult to turn that opportunity down, were it to come his way, despite the fact he feels very attached to Villa Park and the fans in Birmingham.

Mellberg, 25, has appeared in 35 matches for Team Sweden, and has played ont he club level with Aston Villa for the past two seasons. Prior to that, he played with Racing Santander, which happens to also be a Primera Liga club.

Aston Villa manager David O'Leary said over the weekend that he had no desire to move Mellberg and that he was an integral part of the Premiership squad. In addition to Mallorca, fellow Spanish club Sevilla was also reportedly interested in the defender.

Old 02-17-2004, 06:17 AM   #43
3ric
College Starter

(cut to a crowded press conference sometime in the future)

"Mr. Kieta, what can be expected from you in terms of tactics. Are you seeking to build a team to fit your preferred style or would you take your current squad as-is and let their qualities decide how you're going to play?"
Old 02-18-2004, 03:47 AM   #44
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WEDNESDAY, July 23, 2003

Position Battles To Mark Portugal Trip

Key First Team Spots Still Open

MIDDLESBROUGH-- The four-game tour of Portugal which begins today will play a key role in determining the composition of the first team, interim Boro manager Matthew Kieta said at his weekly press conference.

"We have quite a few interesting decisions to make," Kieta said.

The club embarks on a four match tour of Portugal today, starting with a match against Portuguese Superleague club Nacional de Madeira in Funchal, Portugal, today. They will follow that up with matches against lower division Esposende (Saturday), Superleague squad Braga (Monday) and another SUperleague club in Alverca (July 31).

All together, the Boro will play four matches in nine days.

The goalkeeper spot has been a known battle from the beginning of preseason. Incumbent and fan favorite Mark Schwarzer is trying to fend off transfer Carlo Nash for the number one jersey.

Kieta also said few others are locked into spots at this point. The manager said he could say with some certainty that attacking midfielder Juninho and defender Gareth Southgate would be on the pitch with the first team. That was about all he would guarantee.

"Some positions that seemed settled now don't," Kieta admitted. "The forward spots, for instance. Both wings. And we came into preseason knowing we weren't sure who Gareth [Southgate] would be playign next to in the backfield."

Anticipated starting forwards Massimo Maccarone and Malcolm Christie both played very poorly against Brechin City last week, while reserve forward Joseph Désiré Job played well and scored the side's only goal, on a penalty in injury time. That and Job's noted consistency and veteran status might have opened the door for the Cameroonian to get first team status.

Neither Franck Queudreu nor Szilard Németh played very well on the wing at Brechin. Anticipated reserve Stuart Downing, though, played a very strong game, with four tackles, two headers and three good runs and may have thrust himself into the wing picture. Loan Bolo Zenden also played well.

Kieta said Németh may not have the physical ability to handle the demanding wing position, and that he may switch Christie and Németh at their positions, so Christie can use his physical skills and good crossing ability, while Németh can return to his more natural striker position. At striker, Németh's speed becomes less important than his savvy and nose for the net.

Backup midfielders Doriva and Mark Wilson both stood out in the Brechin game, but Wilson has been loaned to Stoke City until October. Doriva would face a stiff challenge in well-regarded Spaniard loan Gaizka Mendieta and the very steady George Boateng.

Kieta said Chris Riggott's strong performance against Brechin--six headers, four tackles and two interceptions--likely solidifies him as one of Southgate's partners on the backline. No one else stood out, though, so the competition for the one or two other first team spots is still wide open.

The manager was noncommital on what tactics he would end up employing. He used an intricate 3-1-3-1-2 against Brechin City.

"That's a tactic I used sometimes in the States," Kieta said. "It emphasizes crosses and strong positional defense. It can be hard to learn, though, and I am not sure my players are suited for it."

Kieta said he was very open about what tactics he would use and trained the side regualrly and several different basic formations, so that switching as needed would be possible.

"I like midfielders that can run with the ball, particularly on the wing," the manager said. "My forwards need to be versatile, able to reach the crosses and make something happen themselves. And everyone needs to be well-conditiioned, because I encourage my teams to tackle hard and take chances and play in the face of the opponent."

Kieta said he wasn't sure yet if this Boro team could play that way, but he was going to give it a good long shot before he abandoned his favored tactics for simpler formations.

When the issue of team additions came up, Kieta was very tight-lipped.

"We're still settling on first team memebrs and even what sort of tactics we'll need to use," Kieta said. "With those issues still to be determined, it makes it harder for us to pinpoint what we need ont he transfer market and go after it."

Kieta did admit he had scouts looking at backline help.

"We just don't have the quality depth there right now, especially with Ugo [Ehiogu] out until January at least," he said.

He refused to name candidates, saying the staff had yet to even begin to narrow candidates nor complete their scouting sessions.

Kieta saiid that, due to the club's tour in Portugal, he would not hold a press conference next Tuesday, but would pick up the practice again on August 5.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-18-2004 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:49 AM   #45
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the questions, guys. You'll notice, of course, that they were answered at the press conference, but the article phrased the responses as such an article covering a press conference would. I hope the answers they gave you helped a bit.

CR

Old 02-19-2004, 04:04 AM   #46
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY, July 24, 2003

Christie Goal Propels Boro Win

Club Wins It On Forward's Goal, 1-0

FUNCHAL, Portugal-- Just over a week ago, striker Malcolm Christie played a poor match against Brechin City, so bad that interim manager Matthew Kieta moved him to right wing for this one.

So all he did was get the key--and only--score in tight defensive match with Portuguese Superleague squad Nacional da Madeira on Wednesday.

The forward rose up above Nacional defender Rossato for a Gaizka Mendieta free kick and headed it high past Brazilian keeper Hilário. Christie was only a few feet from the net as Mendieta laced a perfect floater from near the right sideline right into the six-yard box.

The scoring free kick was set up when Nacional defensive midfielder Ivo dragged down Szilard Németh on a run near the byline.

Despite the low-scoring 1-0 affair, the match was filled with close calls by both sides. The two clubs combined for 17 shots, 10 on goal.

The Boro's chances mostly came early in the match, when the first team was on the pitch. Mendieta curled two close post shots in separate free kicks. Striker Massimo Maccarone split two defenders on a run into the box in the 9th minute but blasted the ball over the bar. A nice near post cross by Christie was instead put into the side netting by fellow winger Stuart Downing.

The only scoring chance of note for the Boro with the second team came when forward Joseph-Désiré Job got on a goal kick header and ran the ball back through three defenders, falling short when his scoring kick attempt flew over the right post.

Goalkeeper Carlo Nash tipped a couple long but direct Nacional shots over the bar, and Mark Schwarzer had to survive a couple of second half flurries directly in front of him before a defender could get the ball to safety.

"I think we had our offense flowing much better today," Kieta said. "We didn't score much, but the opportunities were there. These guys seem to be picking it up some."

Kieta said Tuesday he might have to switch to simpler tactics if the side couldn't grasp the five-tiered tactic he brought over from the United States.

Boro defender Chris Riggott got the Man of the Match nod for an impressive display in the box in the first half. He dominated the defensive air with 14 headers, and also had four interceptions. Mendieta also stood out, with three shots on goal and an assist on Christie's score.

The Nacional da Madeira match was the first in a four-contest tour of Portugal. The next match is Saturday at lower division Esposende.

Old 02-19-2004, 04:51 AM   #47
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY, July 24, 2003

Nantes Looking For Help From England Again

Now French Side Is After Birmingham's Cissé

NANTES, France-- One week after failing to land Bolton midfielder Youri Djorkaeff, La Ligue One side FC Nantes Atlantique is at it again with reported interest in midfielder Aliou Cissé of Birmingham.

Last week, Nantes manager Loïc Amisse told local reporters he was interested in acquiring the veteran forward Dkorkaeff, but was rebuffed by the Premiership's Bolton manager Sam Allardyce. Now he is looking to bring in Cissé, according to a Football365.com report.

The tenacious 27-year-old Senegalese defender and midfielder played in La Ligue One for four seasons before moving to Birmingham last season. Last year, he appeared in 21 Birmingham matches.

Cissé is capped with Senegal 23 times, and has scored one goal in international competition.

The report said Cissé might be allowed to leave the club for £3 M.

Nantes is looking to bolster their midfield for a run in the Inter-Toto Cup, in which they are currently matched up in a third round leg with Croatian First Division side Cibalia. Nantes defeated Cibalia, 2-0, at home, and will go to Vinkovci on Saturday to finish the two-leg round. The winner advances to the semifinals of the Cup, which has three coveted tie-ins to the Champions Cup.

When Amisse mentioned pursuing Djorkaeff last week, he got blistered by a media attack by current Nantes midfield starter Stéphane Ziani. Ziani could not be reached for comment on the Cissé rumors.

Malbranque Flattered by Deportivo Interest

Two days after his manager said he wasn't going anywhere, Fulham's attacking midfielder Steed Malbranque said he was flattered at the interest shown him by Primera Liga side Deportivo.

"I would be foolish to not consider such a move," Malbranque told Football365.com in an exclusive interview. "I would have to consider just about any offer from them."

The French forward has played in 74 matches with Fulham the past two seasons, scoring 14 goals, including six last season. At 23, he is considered an up-and-coming player with great upside.

Fulham manager Chris Coleman refused to comment for the story. On Monday, Coleman warned clubs away from Malbranque, saying he was not available under any circumstances.

It is thought that Malbranque would draw at least a £4 M transfer fee from any successful bidder.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-19-2004 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:19 AM   #48
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

THURSDAY, July 24, 2003

Other Football Notes

KANSAS CITY, United States-- The United States and Brazil will meet Saturday in the final for the Gold Cup after winning in the semifinals Wednesday.

The United States defeated Canada, 2-0, while Brazil beat South Korea, 2-1.

Canada and South Korea will meet in the third place match.

The Gold Cup competition includes 11 national teams from North and South America, and one Asian region national team.

Old 02-19-2004, 05:31 AM   #49
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

FRIDAY, July 25, 2003

Manager: Cissé Is Available

BIRMINGHAM-- The club is willing to listen to offers for defnesive midfielder Aliou Cissé, Birmingham manager Steve Bruce said Thursday.

Bruce's announcement comes on the heels of a Football365.com report that FC Nantes Atlantique of La Ligue One was looking at Cissé as a possibility to lend depth to their midfield for a run in the Inter-Toto Cup.

Cissé, a 27-year-old Senegalese veteran of 23 international matches, appeared in just 21 matches for Birmingham City last season, his first in the Premiership. Prior to moving to Birmingham, Cissé played four seasons in France's top league.

Cissé is currently considered to be heading for the Birmingham reserves, so his move is unlikely to have an effect on Birmingham's first team.

The midfielder is likely to draw a £3 M transfer fee.

Leicester City Nabs American Forward

Premiership side Leicester City completed the transfer of American forward Stanley Spencer Thursday.

The lower division Detroit Bullets sold the veteran international forward for £190,000.

Spencer, 27, has been capped for the U.S. 92 times, and scored 13 goals in international competition.

With his extensive international experience, Spencer did not have any trouble qualifying for a work permit.

Old 02-19-2004, 05:53 AM   #50
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

SATURDAY, July 26, 2003

Two Clubs Name Managers

NOTTINGHAM, England-- The First Division Reds named former English international Stuart Pearce as their new manager Friday.

Pearce, 41, was a veteran of 78 international matches in his career with England, scoring 5 goals.

In Carlisle, the Third Division Cumbrians selected Scotsman Lou Macari to lead them.

Macari, 54, appeared in 24 international matches with Scotland in his playing days.

Aston Villa Loans Addo

Bundesliga power Dortmund sent attacking midfielder Otto Addo on loan to the Premiership's Aston Villa on Friday.

The Ghanaian forward played on Dortmund's reserves last season, appearing in only one match for the first team.

The 28-year-old has appeared in 12 international matches for Ghana, with two goals. Addo has played for Dortmund since 1999, and in German leagues his entire career.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-19-2004 at 05:53 AM.