Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2001, 10:44 PM   #1
KODIAK-BEAR
n00b

Question DEF STRATAGIES ADVICE NEEDED

I have a bunch of questions I am sure you guys can help me with?

1. If a QB likes to throw long what is the best way to defended it? Other than double cover WR's I thought a Zone would do it.

2. If a QB likes to throw short how do you defend it, I tought man to man would do it.

3. If a QB is young, or can't scramble very well what do you do. I thouht Blitzing him would do it.

4 If a DL is a great pass rusher, do you run at him a lot with what ever OL you have on him. And if a MLB is good against the pass , you run at him via behind your center.

5 if an WOLB, or SOLB is good against the pass do you run them with the wide runs?

6. If a LB is a great pass rusher and blitz's often if that when you throw more screen pass'es to the RB's?

7. If a team likes to run from the I alot how do you defend it.

8. If a team likes to throw the screen pass how do you defend it.

9. How do you attack a 3-4 def?

10. How do you attack the bump and run def with the corners

11. If you run def is not very good how do you shore it up. My thought is to lower your double coverage percentage with the safty's or increase you all out run def, both of these should make you more susectpable to the pass. Am I correct by assuming this.

Well those are most of my questions I hope some of you wizzards can help me out with these questions, please tell me the ones I am wrong about, and answer what questions you can. All of you have been very helpful with me learning to play FOF2001, and for that I thank you. Take care and God Bless all of you always Cliff.

------------------
GOD SAVES

KODIAK-BEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 11:12 PM   #2
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

[quote[11. If you run def is not very good how do you shore it up. My thought is to lower your double coverage percentage with the safty's or increase you all out run def, both of these should make you more susectpable to the pass. Am I correct by assuming this.[/quote]

Best way to do it is to get strength "up the middle" at run-stopping: a great run-stopping DT (2 if you use the 4-3), two quality runstoppers to play ILB (1 to play MLB in the 4-3), and quality safeties (purely anecdotal: more important to have a runstopper at strong safety than free safety; YMMV).

Lately I've taken to experimenting with the 3-4, for reason detailed elsewhere. (Largely, though, it seems to be cheaper to get quality LB than quality DT.) Stealing liberally from Morgado's "Men In Black" defense, I see to have very good results stopping the run with a stud runstopping DT, quality runstopping LB, and two good safeties (who really seem to be the key to the defense).

When I play 3-4, I make sure to get one great passrushing defense, and I play him at LOLB and set his blitz percentage very high. That way, the NT focuses on stopping the run, and any sacks I get from him are gravy - that's the blitzing LB's job.

Running the Richmond Confederates of the FOBL into the ground since 2001.
CubsFan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2001, 09:44 AM   #3
Ctown-Fan
High School Varsity

Hi Cliff,

1. three and Four Deep zone
2. Yeah, bump and run is the best way to go

3. That is a solid strategy
4-5 Scout the other team's players before making decisions on that issue. I am pretty sure that you are getting your info from the team scouting reports. When it says a linebacker is good against the pass, it does not mean they are also good against the run.

6. Short passes and screens will work much better because it takes away the pressure from the blitz

7. AS cubsfan said, players are the key to this one.

8. Good guestion . . . maybe by blitzing less and using tight coverages

9. Anyway you can. My thoughts would argue that a 3-4 defense is better against the run than the 4-3, but that is just speculation.

10. Throw deep more often to take advantage of the coverage mistakes. try bumping the long and deep pass ratings to 8-10.

11. Yes, you are correct. However, the best and cheapest way to solidify the run defense is to get a MLB with a high runstopping skill as well as a saftey with the same quality.

I hope this helps Cliff

[This message has been edited by Ctown-Fan (edited 01-28-2001).]