Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2001, 10:41 PM   #1
KODIAK-BEAR
n00b

Post WHAT YOUR SCOUT THINKS?

After training camp if your scout thinks a player is not that good. Is it possible that the scout is wrong. Have any of you guys played a player that the scout did not recommend, and the player did a good job. What I am getting at is are scouts sometimes wrong? Thanks.

------------------
GOD SAVES

KODIAK-BEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 10:48 PM   #2
Ctown-Fan
High School Varsity

Well, I don't want to speak for anyone else, but no one can be a perfect judge of talent and every player's "actual" rating are unknown. It has been discussed that there is a margin of error based on the scout's reputation for that position. Obviously this is even problematic when you consider that ratings can overlapp when looking at rookies. The best way to determine a players skills is to look at both your scout's analysis of the player (his ratings) along with his statistics. In the draft, try looking at both your scout and the combine scores, but keep in mind what your scout's reputation is for that position, and weight that much more heavily.

So, I guess to get to an attempt at an answer. Yes, scouts can be wrong based on their ability and your ability to interpret various data at your disposal.

Good Luck

------------------
Ahh, Jesus. I like him very, very much. But he no help me with curveball.

[This message has been edited by Ctown-Fan (edited 01-06-2001).]
Old 01-07-2001, 03:13 AM   #3
Axxon
Pro Starter

I take my scouts opinion with a grain of salt but a really big grain :-)
Old 01-14-2001, 09:29 AM   #4
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I drafted a DE #2 and had him flop in his first training camp. Not down to zeros, but cut to one-third of his 75+ potential ratings.

But in his actual ratings improved (that is his red lines filled in the green) and he started his fourth year and got 19 sacks, third in the league. He looks like an average DE, whereas I thought the pick was down the toilet. Now, he could be a pass-rushing star.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 10:57 AM   #5
aejš:
n00b

Something I don't think I've seen discussed before is the fact that as well as the real player ratings being hidden, so are those of the scout (and coach). If the effect of the various scout 'areas of expertise' is debateable then it may be possible that you're no better of with a low to medium 'excellent' rating than you are with a medium to high 'very good' in the same category.

------------------
"Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?" - Marv Levy