Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2004, 09:38 PM   #1
Easy Mac

Stats and Volatility

I am wondering if anyone has looked for a correlation between stats and volatility early in a players career. I know Skydog looked at how volatility could be used to help determine if a guy boomed or busted, but do stats help show things also?

I ask because I have a guy I drafted in the 7th round this year, 10 spots from the end. He is currently starting because my top WLB is out with an injury. His current rating is 14/42 with a volatility of 99. He has 27 tackles in 5 starts, and is generally playing very good football.

Now, do stats show anything in this instance? Do his pretty good stats (at least for a rookie) mean that his ratings are really better than they appear, or is he just having a good year? Are these stats a predictor of a potential superstar in the making, or are they just an anomoly?

I know I've had a couple of players who put up good stats for a year or two with high volatility. They were drafted highly, then busted after a couple of years. But I can't think of a lowly drafted, high volatility guy who put up good numbers.

Anyone noticed any correlation between stats and volatility?

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 12:27 AM   #2
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac

Now, do stats show anything in this instance? Do his pretty good stats (at least for a rookie) mean that his ratings are really better than they appear, or is he just having a good year? Are these stats a predictor of a potential superstar in the making, or are they just an anomoly?
This makes me wonder if volatility plays more than career development. Look at his game by game logs and see how he has done in each game. Is he playing great in some games and playing terrible in others?

Part of the reason I wonder is that I have a RB with a very high volatility rating. His overall is something like 36/36, but I have noticed every once in a while he has break out games.
Here is an example of his rushing stats
16att, 43yards, 2.6ypc
23att, 58yds, 2.5ypc
12att, 83yds, 6.9ypc
27att, 78yds, 2.8ypc
15att, 41yds, 2.7ypc
12att, 73yds, 6.0ypc

I am thinking that volatility also plays a role in game by game performance. Maybe I'm wrong, but every game he averages under 3 yards per carry and then suddenly breaks out for more than 6 a carry.

Last edited by GoSeahawks : 01-15-2004 at 12:28 AM. Reason: I'm cool
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:20 AM   #3
Easy Mac

bump for the smarter people on the board.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:28 AM   #4
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks
This makes me wonder if volatility plays more than career development. Look at his game by game logs and see how he has done in each game. Is he playing great in some games and playing terrible in others?

Part of the reason I wonder is that I have a RB with a very high volatility rating. His overall is something like 36/36, but I have noticed every once in a while he has break out games.
Here is an example of his rushing stats
16att, 43yards, 2.6ypc
23att, 58yds, 2.5ypc
12att, 83yds, 6.9ypc
27att, 78yds, 2.8ypc
15att, 41yds, 2.7ypc
12att, 73yds, 6.0ypc

I am thinking that volatility also plays a role in game by game performance. Maybe I'm wrong, but every game he averages under 3 yards per carry and then suddenly breaks out for more than 6 a carry.

But are those two standout games just the result of having a big run in each of them that skews the overall ypc?
Old 01-16-2004, 10:25 AM   #5
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
But are those two standout games just the result of having a big run in each of them that skews the overall ypc?
Probably, but I don't really get in depth with game logs. I was just making a guess on what could possibly cause the good stats with low rating.

I have noticed sometimes defensive players put up great numbers even though they are rated poorly. I was just suggesting a different reason for it?

Here's what I will do later.
I'm going to cut every player on my roster at the beginning of the season. Then I will sign all undrafted rookies with high volatility. I will sim a couple seasons and see what type of results I get.

*I will do it tonight because I have to work all day
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:50 AM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

Good luck with this. I believe there is nothing here.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:54 AM   #7
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I believe Jim is quoted as saying, "Volatility is only the likelyhood of a player boom/bust, with higher number meaning higher chance of busting." Well, he didn't say it exactly like that, but you get the idea.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:06 AM   #8
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

I doubt there's anything to this, and even if there were a small volatility effect it'd be very hard to isolate owing to the massive variability in game-to-game and year-to-year performances of even the lowest volatility players.

Last edited by Fonzie : 01-16-2004 at 11:07 AM.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:28 AM   #9
Easy Mac

Just to follow up, The player in question is about to begin his 2nd year, and he is now rated a 16/41. He finished the season starting 10 of 15 games with 49 tackles.

So he lost 1 future rating and gained 2 present.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:40 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've typically written off the
Bad players + good stats phenomenon as being
Bad players + good stats = stuff happens, especially at certain positions.

I've seen it most often with LB's, CB's & RB's.

I believe it's basically created by number of opportunities.
For example:
Enough carries & even a poor RB will generate some yardage.
Enough people running in his direction & even a poor LB will rack up tackles
Enough people throwing in the direction of a weak CB & even he can get a few picks
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote