Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2001, 07:47 PM   #1
fantavet
n00b

Post What has been your overall GM experience?

I'm only in 2013 while being on wall street level. How many seasons have some of you racked up?

I'm not playing with any house rules and I've never had a losing season. Won the Super Bowl 4 times and lost in the conference final 4 times. Missed the playoffs 3 times. I have a .671 winning pct.

Is this considered too much success? Should I try some of these house rules?

I haven't adopted house rules yet because my BIGGEST challenge is injured players vs. the salary cap.

Every year I'll always have 2 players seriously hurt at a position which forces me to sign another player. As soon as I solve that problem then 2 players from a different position get hurt and I have to do it again.

This past season I went into the playoffs with only 1 FB healthy. I didn't have the money to sign another and I couldn't cut anyone to gain cap room (I only would have gained $0 in cap space for this year).

Thank God I had 4 RBs, so I kept the injured FB active but off the depth chart.

As my own rule I try not to sign real big contracts because it seems I always need the money to sign FAs to step in for injured players.

Currently heading into 2014 I have 29 players under contract and over $45 million in cap room. Is this unusual, does anyone else manage like this?

"I'd cut my grandmother if she didn't have at least a 40 in Breakaway Speed"

fantavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 08:22 AM   #2
ibdb
n00b

I've probably played around 50 or so seasons with FOF2K1 spread across several careers, each with different objectives. You'll find people here who've played more and who've played less. It depends on what you're looking for from the game.

The Dynasty forums give you a good sampling of what other players find in the game that keeps them coming back for more. For some (maybe even most?) of the posters, too much success gets boring. Much of the excitement you'll read in these threads is about building teams, trying to keep them competitive, and how and when to make the decision to rebuild and start again.

I started to burn out on the game because of salary cap issues tied in to unrealistic player demands. Playing with some house rules helped make the game interesting for me again. Only you know what keeps the game challenging for you. Read the first post in one of QuikSand's excellent Black Squirrel's threads and you'll see what keeps the game challenging for him. Read the first post in SkyDog's new Hartford thread to see what keeps the game challenging for him. How could you fare under the same rules? Think you'd still fare as well as you do playing wide-open? Give it a try and find out.

Enjoy!

------------------
This signature has been removed to conserve bandwidth.

-- The Moderators
Old 03-13-2001, 09:24 AM   #3
fantavet
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by ibdb:
I started to burn out on the game because of salary cap issues tied in to unrealistic player demands.

Exactly. The WR's get crazy. Some have scores in the 40s across the board and they want 4 year $25 million contracts!

It was getting to the point where I couldn't watch my draft picks grow (guess that simulates real life). Of course in FA all my UFAs hit the Power Ball. I had a backup QB, all #s in the 50-60s sign a 3 year $34 million contract in FA! I said goodbye.

Having said all this I'm now 0-3 this season. The frustrating part is my roster is pretty good.

So maybe I'm not ready for house rules quite yet .

"I'd cut my grandmother if she didn't have at least a 40 in Breakaway Speed"
fantavet is offline   Reply With Quote