Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2004, 12:17 PM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

"Radio"

For those of you that havent seen this movie, I would definately reccomend seeing it. For some strange reason, I am less interested in Action movies, They seem to just rehash the same things over and over. Although I havent seen LOTR: Return of the king yet, I would have to say that this movie was probably one of the top 3 or 4 movies I saw that came out in 2003.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Huh? I thought that Radio was a piece of sugary crap.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:23 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

I saw "Radio" a few years ago. Back then, it was called "Forrest Gump." Later on, they did a comedic remake called "The Waterboy."

I dunno what it is, but the "Retard Plays Football" schtick never seems to get old.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:34 PM   #4
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
I dunno what it is, but the "Retard Plays Football" schtick never seems to get old.

That's one way of putting it...
Old 01-09-2004, 12:36 PM   #5
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by ShovelMonkey
That's one way of putting it...

Another one is ...

Me got right...na...give me ball...nahhhh....

I got nothing.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:38 PM   #6
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

On a side note, the real Radio along with his family lost all of their stuff and their home in a fire a couple of days after the premiere in his hometown. Cuba Gooding Jr. and some others from the cast gave him over $150,000 to get a new home and replace their stuff.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:40 PM   #7
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
On a side note, the real Radio along with his family lost all of their stuff and their home in a fire a couple of days after the premiere in his hometown. Cuba Gooding Jr. and some others from the cast gave him over $150,000 to get a new home and replace their stuff.

Class........
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:53 PM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

I hope he got more than $150,000 for the movie rights to his own life story.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:05 PM   #9
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I saw "Radio" a few years ago. Back then, it was called "Forrest Gump." Later on, they did a comedic remake called "The Waterboy."

Radio didn't play football.

I see nothing wrong with the occassional "sugary crap."

God forbid people feel good about something now and then. I liked the movie.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:08 PM   #10
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
God forbid people feel good about something now and then.

Yeah, like making jokes about stuff.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:09 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Didn't see it...did he carry a big boom box or something?

Last edited by rkmsuf : 01-09-2004 at 01:09 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:10 PM   #12
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple

The article I read when this happened said it was far from burning down the whole house. It said that there was only some damage to radio's bedroom.

And yes, I hope he got some cash out of this deal.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:21 PM   #13
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
Radio didn't play football.

Sure he did. He suffers from a mental disability after all those years playing WR for the Arizona Cardinals...
Old 01-09-2004, 01:23 PM   #14
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:

You can be such a fucking insensitive prick sometimes...
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:23 PM   #15
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Not that it really matters but that was probably the AP report.

Here is a more updated version:

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2003/11/19/2003111919397.htm

ANDERSON — Radio finally has his own room, which is indulgence enough for a 57-year-old man who has never enjoyed such privacy.
But there's more to come.

The Radio Fire Relief Fund, which was established a few weeks ago after fire destroyed the home of James Robert "Radio" Kennedy, received a hefty boost Wednesday when Radio was handed a check for $115,000 during a ceremony at T.L. Hanna High School.

Mike Tollin, director of the current hit film "Radio" — which is based on Kennedy's relationship with former Hanna football coach Harold Jones and the Anderson community — flew in from Los Angeles for the presentation.

Regal Cinemas donated $50,000, with the remaining $65,000 coming courtesy of Revolution Studios, Columbia Pictures and the film's star, Cuba Gooding Jr.

Combined with $15,000 raised by the Bank of Anderson, the Kennedy family — which also includes brothers Walter and George and sister-in-law Pat — now has $130,000 available to buy or build a home.

The film has generated nearly $50 million at the box office since its nationwide release the day after its Anderson premier on Oct. 23. Special ticket sales to that Anderson premier and pre- and post-premier parties also generated more than $75,000 for the Boys and Girls Club of Anderson.

Since shortly after the fire, the family has been living in a brick, three-bedroom house in Anderson provided rent-free by an anonymous donor.

"I have my own room," Radio said Wednesday.

Soon, he'll have more.

"We want Radio to have a good home," Tollin said. "Coach Jones called me the morning after the fire, and the effort to help just sprang up naturally. Everyone was concerned."

Tollin said he was not surprised to learn that it was Radio who had awakened in the middle of the night to alert the rest of the family about the fire.

"There's something about him — I always refer to it as 'The Magic of Radio' — that you can't put a finger on, but is there," Tollin said. "So nothing Radio does surprises me."

Greg Dunn, president and chief operating officer of the Regal Entertainment Theatre Group based in Knoxville, Tenn., said that about 60 theaters from the group - including one in Greenville — have collected donations from patrons for the Radio fund for the past week or so. That effort generated $25,000, and Regal matched that.

"And the effort will continue as long as the movie is in theaters," Dunn said.

The film stars Gooding Jr., Ed Harris as Coach Jones, and Debra Winger as Jones' wife, Linda.

Jones said he wasn't surprised that Tollin flew in for Wednesday's presentation.

"He's a great person, and he's always been true to his word," Jones said. "The people in Hollywood were ready to start doing something right away after they heard about the fire."

Anderson attorney John Stethakis echoed Jones' sentiments.

"Some people might think that Hollywood is made up of people only interested in a deal, living in a world far away from ordinary people," Stathakis said. "We here in Anderson know different. We're very fortunate to know a Hollywood made of people who are caring and passionate."

Last I had heard it was over $150,000 that Cuba Gooding and cast put up but I couldn't find a more recent link anywhere.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:33 PM   #16
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby

If he takes off the condom, it helps I heard.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:35 PM   #17
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

For using the word "retard?"

It's a real word, and an accurate description for the characters depicted in all three movies. I don't presume to make it a negative connotation just because I don't embrace the more politically correct (and lengthy) moniker of "mentally challenged" or whatever...
Old 01-09-2004, 01:38 PM   #18
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
For using the word "retard?"

It's a real word, and an accurate description for the characters depicted in all three movies. I don't presume to make it a negative connotation just because I don't embrace the more politically correct (and lengthy) moniker of "mentally challenged" or whatever...

Yeah you can rationalize it all you want.

"Retard" is absolutely NOT an acceptable description of a mentally challenged person.

Prick.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:43 PM   #19
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:

"Retard" is absolutely NOT an acceptable description of a mentally challenged person.

Prick.

Of course it is perfectly fine to describe someone as a penis. No issues there.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:44 PM   #20
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
Of course it is perfectly fine to describe someone as a penis. No issues there.

wouldn't that be protruding male organ?
Old 01-09-2004, 01:48 PM   #21
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Prick.

Bullshit.

Political correctness is a 90's phenomenon. 15 years ago, it was perfectly alright to call someone who was mentally retarded a retard, just like it was OK to call overweight people "fat" and disabled people "crippled."

I'm not getting on the sensitivity wagon, buddy. Life's too short to dress up the ugly truth with pretty terminology.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:49 PM   #22
Subby
lolzcat

I apologize for calling you a prick.

I thought you were intentionally trying to demean mentally-challenged people. If that's not the case, my bad.

I have a weakness in this area...sorry again.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Old 01-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #23
Subby
lolzcat

Dola

It has never been ok to refer to someone who is retarded as a retard.

You are just plain wrong in this case.

Never in the course of history have retarded citizens been legitimately referred to as "retards" - just because a group of people may have done it doesn't mean it was mainstream or acceptable.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Old 01-09-2004, 01:54 PM   #24
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
I apologize for calling you a prick.

I thought you were intentionally trying to demean mentally-challenged people. If that's not the case, my bad.

I have a weakness in this area...sorry again.

I'm just calling it what it is. I have a son who's "communicatively handicapped." He has a tracheostomy that kept him from being able to speak until he was in the 3rd grade. Because of it, he's now in high school, but reads on a 6th grade level. I have no trouble acknowledging that he's got a speech impediment, and that's just tough shit. I sure as hell don't want people treating him like he's "special" just because he's had a shitty hand dealt to him in that one category. He's otherwise as normal as any other kid his age, and I'm proud of how he's accepted his problem and learned to just deal with it.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #25
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
I'm just calling it what it is. I have a son who's "communicatively handicapped." He has a tracheostomy that kept him from being able to speak until he was in the 3rd grade. Because of it, he's now in high school, but reads on a 6th grade level. I have no trouble acknowledging that he's got a speech impediment, and that's just tough shit. I sure as hell don't want people treating him like he's "special" just because he's had a shitty hand dealt to him in that one category. He's otherwise as normal as any other kid his age, and I'm proud of how he's accepted his problem and learned to just deal with it.
Your personal experience has nothing to do with it.

If you adopted a black kid and referred to him as "my nigger" to all of your friends, that would be just as reprehensible as referring to your son as a "retard".

It just isn't socially acceptable. You can trot out the tired "PC" argument all you want, but in this case it is completely valid to expect someone not to refer to a retarded or mentally-challenged or special needs person as a "retard".

Last edited by Subby : 01-09-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:00 PM   #26
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:

If you adopted a black kid and referred to him as "my nigger" to all of your friends, that would be just as reprehensible as referring to your son as a "retard".

It just isn't socially acceptable. You can trot out the tired "PC" argument all you want, but in this case it is completely valid to expect someone not to refer to a retarded or mentally-challenged or special needs person as a "retard".

I do find it funny you object to retard, but you have no problem calling people gay or fucktoids or anything else in many of your posts.

I find that very odd.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:00 PM   #27
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I did like the movie by the way....
Old 01-09-2004, 02:01 PM   #28
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
wouldn't that be protruding male organ?

Sadly, for some, "protruding" may be stretching it a bit.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:02 PM   #29
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup

I got an inny.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:03 PM   #30
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
I do find it funny you object to retard, but you have no problem calling people gay or fucktoids or anything else in many of your posts.

I find that very odd.

That's because you are a gay fucktoid.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:03 PM   #31
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
That's because you are a gay fucktoid.

Good point.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:04 PM   #32
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup

Stretching ect.., whatever you have to do to represent...
Old 01-09-2004, 02:17 PM   #33
SteelerFan448
High School JV

I thought it was a fantastic movie, definitely one of the best of the year. LOTR was also an awesome movie.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:19 PM   #34
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

We can dance around this all day long.

Black people call each other "nigger" all the time. What makes THAT alright?

Can I still call my female dog a bitch? Do they still have dykes in Amsterdam, or have they come up with another label? Do British people still smoke fags?

I don't call my son a "retard" unless he happens to be acting like one. Black people don't call each other "nigger" and assume slave ownership. Adjectives aren't derogatory without a malicious intent - unless you're being just a little too sensitive about it.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:20 PM   #35
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Stretching ect.., whatever you have to do to represent...

That reminds me, I've been expecting a package.

If I don't get it in time for my anniversary I'm DOOMED!
Old 01-09-2004, 02:20 PM   #36
Franklinnoble
Banned

/flame off/

By the way, I think "Radio" actually looks like a decent family film, and I'll probably rent it when it's available.

/flame on/
Old 01-09-2004, 02:33 PM   #37
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
We can dance around this all day long.

Black people call each other "nigger" all the time. What makes THAT alright?

Can I still call my female dog a bitch? Do they still have dykes in Amsterdam, or have they come up with another label? Do British people still smoke fags?

I don't call my son a "retard" unless he happens to be acting like one. Black people don't call each other "nigger" and assume slave ownership. Adjectives aren't derogatory without a malicious intent - unless you're being just a little too sensitive about it.

What can I tell you? Language is complex. Your attempt to oversimplify it and label me as being overly-sensitive as a result ignores the multitude of meanings that words can have..

As to your examples - I never said it was ok that black people can call each other nigger. The words "bitch", "dyke", and "fag" all have completely different meanings when used in the context that you are using them.

Which gets back to my original point - the context in which you used the term "retard" and which many people use the term - is demeaning and marginalizing. Actually, labeling people at all is pretty marginalizing.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:34 PM   #38
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't call my son a "retard" unless he happens to be acting like one.

Adjectives aren't derogatory without a malicious intent - unless you're being just a little too sensitive about it.

Well, if you don't have any malicious intent, why don't you refer to him directly to his face as a retard?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:36 PM   #39
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
That reminds me, I've been expecting a package.

If I don't get it in time for my anniversary I'm DOOMED!

Is it that European device Austin Powers says isn't his?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:41 PM   #40
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

LIQUID GLASS POLISH/FINISH 16 oz.: $17.95 The GOLD CAN with the RED CORVETTE on the front creates a mirror like shine while it works to RETARD acid rain, road salt deterioration , tar, sap, rust, corrosion, dulling, minor bird dropping permeation, bugs, tree branch scratches and just about everything that MANKIND and MOTHER NATURE can dish out. Produces a SUPER DURABLE HIGH GLOSS FINISH with little or no effort in half the time of all other products.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:42 PM   #41
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Is it that European device Austin Powers says isn't his?

no comment
Old 01-09-2004, 02:43 PM   #42
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Prick.

My sister is " retarded. " When discussing we say she has mental retardation....she is retarded......there is no bad thing about " retard. "
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 04:07 PM   #43
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Prick.

That's right!!

Everyone knows that you say "He's retarded" not "He's a retard". It is much less offensive.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #44
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Prick.

That's right!!

Everyone knows that you say "He's retarded" not "He's a retard". It is much less offensive.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 04:50 PM   #45
Schmidty
Coordinator

Hmmmm....... I'm by no means PC, but I'm with Subby on this one. Calling someone who is mentally challenged a retard is fucking weak. It's kind of like standing next to a deaf person and calling them names.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:52 PM   #46
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidty
Hmmmm....... I'm by no means PC, but I'm with Subby on this one. Calling someone who is mentally challenged a retard is fucking weak. It's kind of like standing next to a deaf person and calling them names.

Wouldn't it be best to sign to them?
Old 01-09-2004, 05:20 PM   #47
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Making fun of bald people publically is pretty much standard issue. Is this wrong?
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 05:32 PM   #48
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Senator
Making fun of bald people publically is pretty much standard issue. Is this wrong?

I am Norwegian. Could you imagine if I made fun of black history? I guess the amount of historical persecution determines what you are allowed to talk about with out being considered a jackass. If only my ancestors were tortured or something so I could walk around with a grudge against the world.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:41 PM   #49
JeeberD
General Manager

Damn Norseman! My Swedish ancestors kicked your ass all over the place. Swedish vikings rule!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:08 PM   #50
Danny
Head Coach

You know, screw Political Correctness, but what's wrong with trying to
always be polite and respectful to other people?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote