Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2001, 11:37 PM   #1
FishFan
College Prospect

Post Help! Starting a new challenge....

There has been much discussion over the last few weeks about the importance of the QB in FOF. I want to disprove the theory and create a successful franchise with an average or less than average QB. The franchise will be dedicated to running the ball and will focus a lot of it's drafting on defensive players.

Of course, I will employ a standard set of "house rules" but I wanted to get the input of other FOF faithful on what I could add to this challenge and work the details on what kind of QB I am required to have. I was thinking of any QB with current and future potential of 60 or less, but maybe that is still too relaxed.

Any input would be appreciated!

------------------
FishFan

"When a football hits pipe, it goes doink" --John Madden

FishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 12:33 AM   #2
Ctown-Fan
High School Varsity

well fishfan,

why don't you join the GM Challenge that is starting over in the general discussion? Add the QB rules as a special one for yourself and see how it compares to other teams in the challenge. you would have a basic set of rules to follow, and you could compare it with those of us who will probably go for the stud qb?

Otherwise, good luck with it . . .
Old 01-16-2001, 08:20 AM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

I agree that the QB limitation is among the most promising challenges out there. Any of the obvious rules (based on scout rating, where drafted, etc) make sense to me, and I suspect they will provide an interesting challenge.

For now, I'd stay ot of the contests, as having poor QBs will undoubtedly hamper your ability to put up big win totals consistently, even if you do manage a SB now and then (I would expect).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 05:13 PM   #4
FishFan
College Prospect

Thanks for the advice so far. I am in the middle of trying to hammer out specifics for the QB portion of the house rules.

Hopefully, I will receive some more input and I will probably not partake in any career challenge with fellow FOFers...

Don't want to embarrass myself...
Old 01-17-2001, 05:42 PM   #5
Syrinx
H.S. Freshman Team

I would recomend going with draft position, and have a clause for breakout players.

The Arrest Trent Dilfer challange that vaj is running is one take on this type of system (3rd round draftee or later, don't resign them if they make the pro-bowl)

Another option is going purely based on current and potential ability. If you do this I would recomend 50 as the max perhaps instead of 60. Or perhaps allow 1 to 2 categories to go up to 60, but the rest have to be 40 or lower. (Given your likeliness to have stud RB's I'd go with third down passing and screen or short passes myself)

Hope this helps some.
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 09:25 AM   #6
FishFan
College Prospect

Thanks for the help...

I was actually thinking of not drafting any QB in the first four rounds and also including a clasue that states I can only make one offensive choice in the first four, as well. This will keep me from bolstering my offensive line with studs, grabbing up all kinds of stud WRs, and a maxed out RB. I want to keep this team defense-oriented.

As far as ratings go, I will probably keep that around 50 for actuals and furture ratings. But, if one of my QBs makes the Pro Bowl, I will not have to let him go. If that happens, it will be the result of a strong running game. I probably wouldn't be able to re-sign a pro bowl QB anyway because of high salaries at defensive positions.

Should be interesting...
Old 01-18-2001, 10:06 AM   #7
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Cool

My advice is buiding an outstanding secondary.
Don't let these guys blitz, just let them do their real job, keeping their receiver away from the ball. (allowing <150yd/game passing is pretty amazing.)
It sound pretty obvious, but I'm pretty sure that's a big deal into success. Remeber that those great RBs from opponents have to get these guys too to get those 15+yd runs and TDs.
In the end, these guys interception (TD) returns might have a big part in the final scores.

Other advice:
Use the training camp wisely, but I guess you do that already.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 10:28 AM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

The problem with "where in the draft" limitations at QB (though intuitively they make a lot of sense) is that QB is a true oddball position in an FOF draft. Teams seem to wat to go early to get QBs, but for some reason there fairly often seem to be decent-quality guys (many potential ratings in the 50-70 range, even) who sit and sit, until the late rounds or even until after the end of the draft.

It wouldn't be much of a challenge if you say "nobody drafted in rounds 1-3) if you can then turn around and get 1st or 2nd round talent in round 4 or later, which is probably the case over time.

So, I like the rule Vaj seems to use-- limit where you can draft them, and also cap their sucess-- once they have reached a certain level of success, they have to go.

Maybe even a rule where you can't keep a QB past his initial rookie contract. You'd lose out on cohesion there, but it qwould make things pretty intersting, I'd think.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 10:52 AM   #9
FishFan
College Prospect

Quik-

I agree. The draft position really doesn't matter when it comes to a QB. That is why I will limit my QBs to 50 and under in actual and future ratings. If I do this and do not have a handful of stud WRs I should never have a Pro Bowl QB. But if one makes the Pro Bowl, I would view that as an accomplishment for a below average QB. Think of Vinny Testeverde.

Additionally, I will think that this challenge will limit the number of years I keep a QB. In careers past, I would keep a QB around only if he was top-notch. In this career I see myself going through many QBs. Hell, I may have many seasons where I use more than one QB.

MIJB-

I always try to keep a good secondary around which usually makes up for my less than average defensive line and mediocre linebacker corps. If I am not spending as much on offense, it will be interesting to see how the defense reacts as a better overall unit. And, as always, training camp is an integral part of each of my careers.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-18-2001, 11:28 AM   #10
Vaj
H.S. Freshman Team

I agree that limiting where you can draft a QB isn't a sufficient limitation. It seems possible to find a diamond in the rough in later rounds. However, the obvious candidates for QB success will be long gone.

I'm also starting to think that you can't re-sign your QB if he makes a Pro Bowl appearance may not be a strict enough limitation. I may also use a QB rating over a certain value (90, maybe 85?) as a guide for when a QB's head gets too big, forcing me to let him walk after his contract expires. Of course, as long as my Bucs can't score 300 points in a season, I doubt this will be an issue.

"Christianity's such an odd religion. The whole image is that eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God's infinite love" -- Bill Hicks
Vaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 01:31 PM   #11
GMgawd
n00b

Talking

This probably doesn't apply to the rules for your QB challenge but I built an Oakland franchise around a strong defense. I went to the Super Bowl 4 out of 5 years and won 3 times with Rich Gannon SB #1 and 2, Shaun King SB #3, and a rookie that I drafted from the 31st spot in the first round SB#4.

Defensivly however I had Simeon Rice and Jevon Kearse on the DL, Dewayne Rudd and a stud LB that I drafted early, Sam Madison and Charles Woodson at CB along with various short term defensive free agents (aka Hired Guns) that I plugged in during the 5 year run. My RB was Tiki Barber the first two SBs and Thomas Jones my last two and I somehow managed to snag Randy Moss after training camp before my 4th SB run.

In all 5 seasons I led the league in points allowed and 4 of 5 led in total yards allowed and led in passing yards allowed all 5 seasons. Woodson and Madison combined for 61 ints and 9 TDs in 5 years. My overall 5 year record 81-18
Old 01-18-2001, 02:07 PM   #12
FishFan
College Prospect

Unfortunately, I will not have the luxury of having a Rich Gannon, Shaun King, Tiki Barber, Randy Moss, or Thomas Jones to help keep the defense off the field.

My biggest concern will be scoring points, not allowing points. I have been successful with strong defenses before, but I have always had a pretty good offense to back it up.

The point of this challenge is to see if I can succeed with a tough defense, but a suspect offense (i.e. the Baltimore Ravens).
Old 01-18-2001, 04:00 PM   #13
GMgawd
n00b

Why don't you never draft a QB before the 5th round only sign him to 3 years, never sign one in the FA and never resign your QB?
Old 01-18-2001, 04:18 PM   #14
FishFan
College Prospect

That's the kind of challenege I am looking for...
Old 01-18-2001, 06:20 PM   #15
Blade6119
Coordinator

I have a franchise going where i can only play with undrafted guys at QB,RB, and WR.....its pretty hard but i got lucky with a breakout back...i cut him the next day......its hard but i also only draft d or O-line so my d is awsome and my good line helps my RB and QB......its pretty tough but we made the fof bowl like the ravens.....its pretty fun and fish... you might try this undrafted rule
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote