Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2000, 04:00 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

Post QuikSand Football Academy, 2009-

QuikSand Football Academy, continued

The idea behind this team is as follows:

Players will join my team by draft or rookie free agency and will serve me for no more than four years.

I’ve been trading away anyone who remains on contract for their 5th year, and accumulating a few extra draft picks in the process. So far, the team has been solid, but not outstanding. Here’s a rundown:

GM Performance for QuikSand of the QuikSand FootballAcademy

Year Team Eval Perf Diff Proft FrVal Record Playoffs
2002 QFA 54 0 78 79 64 3-13-0 None
2003 QFA 65 43 76 72 71 8-8-0 None
2004 QFA 72 63 75 79 73 9-7-0 None
2005 QFA 77 81 73 79 74 13-5-0 Division Final
2006 QFA 77 83 72 82 71 13-5-0 Conference Final
2007 QFA 73 90 72 68 69 12-5-0 Division Final
2008 QFA 77 86 71 81 71 13-5-0 Conference Final

This brings us up to date. If you’d like to read the thread detailing seasons from 2002 to 2008, here is the link: http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/ubb/...ML/000087.html

Now, on with the show…

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2000, 04:05 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

2009 preseason

I re-sign my scout for another 5 years, which should probably conclude his career. My coach stays aboard. The franchise has been solvent, after getting a boost from a ticket price hike. All is well.

This year, we bid farewell to a number of producers—including DE Roy Temes, DT Sam Rayburn, and DE Jimmy Blackwell—thinning out my DL corps very quickly. We also lose a lot of OL talent-- T Antonio Esslinger and centers Frank Fulton and Jesse Morabito all had good seasons last year as well. We also lose one of our finest breakout players—TE Albert Patterson, as well as. Overall, we lose a lot of bulk—we’ll be looking to add a bunch of heavyweights in this year’s incoming class.

We have to get through an expansion draft, as well. I don’t think I’ll have too much trouble here—not many of our players will be too attractive, I wouldn’t think. We only lose one player—2nd year RB Deon Franklin head to the Raleigh Rollers (another tobacco homage).

I make one big deal, sending away my 5th year players to get Pittsburgh’s #7 overall pick. I hope to grab another anchor-caliber player there, and then add what I need later.

I really could use a top-grade pass rusher with my first pick here, and that’s my first hope. Regrettably, the one outstanding DE goes #2, and the best OT goes #3, leaving me without my top two targets in this year’s draft class. I decide that the next-best OT is the best choice for me—and I’m hopeful that he will not bust despite having quite good current ratings. I’m delighted when the DE who was my second-favorite player left at #7 remains on the board at my #29 pick.

Rnd 1 - Kent Wells, T, Virginia
Rnd 1 - Pete Gilmore, DE, Western Carolina
Rnd 2 - Hugh Vogt, DT, California
Rnd 2 - Orlando Grant, LB, Virginia
Rnd 3 - Ross Gamboa, G, Houston
Rnd 4 - Will Forbes, C, Penn State
Rnd 5 - Ricardo Walters, C, Michigan State
Rnd 6 - Cary Caldwell, DE, Oregon
Rnd 7 - Joel Sankey, LB, Morehouse

A solid draft—I’m very happy with the top picks, and think I did pretty well underneath. I needed help at C, and got two guys—Walters probably starts this year, but Forbes has the better future. My one regret is that I got greedy and passed on a good-looking QB in rounds two through four, hoping to watch him fall—but went in round five. I’ll try to follow what happens to Chester Cote—who my scout ranks as the 2nd best QB in this draft.

I swing a deal with the Bears—they get TE Patterson, and I get their second round pick plus we’ll switch in the first round next season. Patterson fills their top need.

We head into camp with a number of URFA propsects. We get the very bad news—T Kent Wells is, in fact, a total bum. He’s the first major bust this franchise has endured—and it hurts a lot. We get a little boost from third round pick G Gamboa, who looks like he’ll be a major stud in time. However, we don’t get much at the tackle position, and we’ll have to play guys out of position this season.

Position/Player Current Est Future Est Exp Sgnd
QB Dean McTyer 9 12 3 2010
QB Paul Kahn 5 13 2 2010
QB Frank Foley 5 12 2 2010
RB Wes Acuna 10 12 2 2011
RB Hunter Whiting 6 6 3 2009
RB Ed Dixon 4 11 1 2012
FB Bryce Tyler 13 13 4 2010
FB Charlie Wallace 9 13 4 2010
FB James Emmons 8 11 2 2011
FB Lamont Blair 8 11 2 2010
TE Darnell Oliver 6 9 2 2011
TE Lamar Hampton 4 10 1 2012
WR Glen Carr 13 13 4 2010
WR Quentin Peak 9 13 2 2010
WR Nick Rios 9 10 4 2009
WR Mike Cornett 7 11 2 2011
WR Floyd Hodges 7 7 4 2009
WR Maurice Shepard 7 9 3 2009
WR Jimmy Brown 5 9 1 2012
C Will Forbes 6 13 1 2011
C Ricardo Walters 6 6 1 2010
G Lincoln Donaldson 10 11 4 2010
G Brad Blevins 7 7 4 2010
G Wally Halvorson 6 8 2 2011
G Ross Gamboa 4 16 1 2012
T Marc Wright 9 10 4 2010
T Randy Ellis 5 5 3 2010
T Toby McGee 2 6 1 2012
P Renaldo Bensen 6 10 2 2011
K Tyrell Cox 10 12 2 2011
DE Roman Costello 11 12 3 2010
DE Pete Gilmore 4 14 1 2012
DE Andy Alston 3 5 1 2012
DE Cary Caldwell 1 9 1 2011
DT Joseph Schwartz 18 18 3 2011
DT Kendall Emmons 6 10 3 2010
DT Hugh Vogt 2 15 1 2011
DT Billy Powell 1 11 1 2012
LB Rusty Kirk 12 13 4 2011
LB Orlando Grant 8 14 1 2012
LB Mel Davidson 8 14 3 2009
LB Fernando Dawkins 5 9 3 2009
LB Vince Brothers 4 7 2 2011
LB Joel Sankey 1 9 1 2011
CB Reuben Favre 11 14 4 2009
CB Raymond Haukioja 9 11 4 2009
CB Chris Porter 9 14 2 2011
CB Antoine Dunkin 6 12 2 2010
CB Darryl Johnstone 2 6 1 2012
S Clyde Birk 12 14 3 2011
S Frankie Prescott 8 10 4 2010
S Greg Rison 4 10 2 2009
S Austin Osborne 2 11 1 2012

A costly draft decision leaves me worried about my offensive line for this year—we’ll definitely lose some there. Our running game was troubled last year even with veteran players there, so I’m quite concerned.

QB McTyer has ratings of 50 and 59 in screen/short passes, making those his real strength. (His other pass ratings are 24, 24, 30) He has accuracy of 54, and throwing power of 47. Thi guy is no world-class signal caller, but he’ll have to do for now. I’ll keep the reins in a bit in our game plan, and keep him throwing short and underneath. Regrettably, I don’t see the running game taking a huge step forward. RB Wes Acuna looks pretty decent, but the OL has fallen back a bit, and I have my doubts.

On defense, we should be okay despite losing a lot of bodies up front. DE Gilmore is the key to the defense—he needs to be able to step in and be productive right away. Our coverage team should continue to be a strength.

Again, I have my doubts about this team—but we’ve gone 12-4 for four straight seasons—and I think we could be back in that neck of the woods again.
Old 12-12-2000, 10:39 PM   #3
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quik-

I am just wondering how you draft in this challenge. Do you use the best current attributes, or do you go by best ptotential?

Seeing that the players will only be there for 4 years, I have been assuming that you draft players ready to go their rookie year.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 08:35 AM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

I've been mostly drafting for upside in the first round or two (but keping an eye on current potentials), and then I tend to switch gears a little after that and I start focusing on guys who can contribute right away.

One twist is that it's my general opinion that lots of guys with very good current ratings tend to bust. So, even though some of these players look especially tempting, I've been staying away out of fear. (Just had my first draft bust this season, with a guy with excellent current ratings, of course)

It's definitely a slightly diffrent mindset-- I find myself drafting for "need" a lot more than in previous careers. I used to say I "need" a CB when I only have two stars around. Now, I "need" a CB when I only have two guys on the roster, and only one is worthy of playing time. I'm spending a fair amount of middle round picks grabbing guys who I will need to have step right in and play as rookies-- so you're right, I do look a little more for current skills than I would otherwise.

This challenge has been reasonably interesting, but I'm candidly a little frustrated by the stability of the team. I had hoped that my team would have to suffer a genuine rebuilding, but we've been eerily consistent year to year lately.
Old 12-13-2000, 09:25 AM   #5
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Your right Quik. In theory this challenge should be a good one for the way you like to play. The late round draft picks are quite important, just like in the real NFL.

However, I am very surprised at the regular season records your team is posting. I don't feel that the team is nearly that good (don't take offense, please). However, I am very pleased to see the playoff results. Your team has yet to get to the bowl game. I think to mirrow the real NFL, a team should only be getting to the superbowl once or twice a decade ON AVERAGE. Obviously some teams will make it a few times a decade or more, and some teams will never make it.

I think that as long as you are not making the championship game or superbowl every year like you were with the Ohio Players, then this is a viable challenge that I hope you keep experiementing with. I mean, when you do make it, it should be the pinnacle of your players careers, not just another superbowl you want to win.

By the way, which team are you using?

[This message has been edited by Marmel (edited 12-13-2000).]

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 10:13 AM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

For this career, I QuikSimmed through 2000 and 2001 using re-drafted Atlanta, and started with the 2002 expansion franchise. The team started out in Houston as the Lone Stars, but I promptly renamed it the QuikSand Football Academy. We do get the snappy blue-gray background, though.
Old 12-13-2000, 09:11 PM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

2009 season

We lose Glen Carr for the first few games of the season, but he should be okay—we give him some time off. We head into the season hoping that our offense can improve a bit from last season—particularly on the ground.

Seattle stomps us 15-3 in our opener. We can’t run. We can’t do anything. Awful. QB McTyer gets dinged at the end of the game—he’ll miss some time with turf toe.

We lose to Denver, 24-14. This isn’t good. Kahn plays pretty well in relief, but we do not look good—we cannot run at all. I decide to slide in Whiting as my starter at RB—he can’t be worse than Acuna so far. Whiting is the same style of running—breakaway and not much else. I can’t see how he’d be better—but we’ll give him a shot.

Kansas City is next up at the dunking booth, and they take us 21-14. DT Joseph Schwartz is out for a couple months, and we’re in trouble. Obviously.

Well, we get a 32-28 win over previously unbeaten Indy. QB Kahn and RB Whiting both were solid, and we came back from 14-0 down. We come back and beat KC in the rematch, 26-17, behind a good game from Kahn. 2-3 isn’t exactly what we wanted, but it’s better than 0-3 was. Kahn throws 3 TDs to lead us to a 21-18 win over San Diego, and we’re back to .500 on the year.

We then go on the road to 3-1 Baltimore, and we shred them 31-14. Suddenly, we’re a team that nobody wants to play. Acuna has a good game in relief of Whiting, and I decide to reinstate him as the starter. I also get McTyer back—and though Kahn has done okay in his absence, McTyer is the guy I’ll go with.

We beat the 5-2 Jets by 29-24, behind a solid overall effort, and we’re up to 5-3 on the season. It’s not a total disaster after all, it would appear. Atlanta thumps us pretty badly, but they are 8-1 and we probably had it coming. The run all over us, and we can’t get the fires burning at all.

A win over Denver gets us to 6-4, and we survey the playoff situation. I stand at the top of my putrid division, by a half game over everyone except San Diego. Wonderful. There are six other playoff contenders—all of whom have better records than we do. Looks like it’s either win the division or go home. We’ll have to do it without QB McTyer, who is hurt again and will miss at least a few games. Kahn gets the call once more.

A 10-3 loss to Seattle puts is in jeopardy. The Seahawks lead the division at7-4, and we are in a three-way tie at 6-5. We lose to San Diego in week 13, and that probably wraps things up. Another loss in Carolina, and I’m throwing in the towel. I decide to give Frank Foley a few starts at QB, just to see what he can muster. RB Ed Dixon will get the top spot as well for the final three games. After we win two close games, we remain mathematically alive for the playoffs. We would need a win over Oakland, and some help, but it’s not out of the question.

All the starters are back in, and we get a FG with 2:12 left to win over the Raiders 16-14. We are pathetic… but we are a playoff team. We get the AFC’s sixth seed, and we’ll take on 12-4 Cincinnati in the opening round.

Who knew?

Stat leaders:

QB Paul Kahn: 2,099 yds, 59.2%, 6.43 ypa, 13/7, 82.5
(QB McTyer 5/6 and 77.7, Foley 1/4 and 56.3)
RB Wes Acuna: 127-513, 3 TD (4.0 ypc)
RB Hunter Whiting: 122-371, 3 TD (3.0 ypc)
WR Glen Carr: 56-982 yds, 6 TD (58.9%, 3 drops)
WR Quentin Peak: 70-904 yds, 5 TD (53.4%, 8 drops)
LB Orlando Grant: 103 tackles, 2 sacks
DE Roman Costello: 12 sacks, 2 blocks, 2 hurries
S Frankie Prescott: 66 tackles, 5 int, 1 TD, 33.4 PDQ

Overall Ratings (off/def/avg):
Rushing: 3.1 / 3.7 / 3.7
Passing: 6.6 / 6.5 / 6.6

So this is a playoff team, eh? Whatever.

We cannot run the ball. It’s a top priority for next year. For this year, we’ll hope that the smoke and mirrors hold out for a little while longer—as we head into the tigers’ lair.
Old 12-13-2000, 09:43 PM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

2009 postseason

The Bengals were 12-4, behind a tough running game. They get RB Thomas Jones back from a serious injury, and he’ll be the main weapon against us. They are banged up in their secondary—and that’s the weakness we’ll hopefully go after.

We can’t get much going on our first possession, and punt it away. Cinti gets a quick first down, and then throws quickly—but my ace CB Reuben Favre steps in, grabs it, and takes it to the house! 60-yard TD and it’s 7-0! The celebration is short-lived—they respond quickly with a 58-yard TD pass.

They turn the ball over three times in the first quarter, and we get a long TD pass after the final one. Early in the second quarter, we’re ahead 14-7. Late in the second quarter, McTyer again hits for a TD, and we take a 21-7 lead behind an all-pass offense. We get a late second quarter interception, try a FG, but miss it wide left. 21-0 stands at the half.

The score holds through the third quarter, as our defense at least slows down Cinti running game, and they again turn the ball over. We get it back early in the fourth quarter, and have to punt. The text box is a bit curious…

QFA 18 Bensen punted 44 yards from the QFA25.
CIN 87 McCulloch returned the ball 3 yards to the CIN34.
Tackled by QFA 64 Blevins.
Extra point by CIN 12 Jordan was good.

Well, I guess it was a touchdown—they are now within 7 points.

Fortunately, our next drive erases the doubt—we manage to rumble downfield, showing more consistency than we have all game, and RB Acuna takes it the final 22 yards on a nice breakaway. It’s 28-14, and we have nearly pulled off one big upset! The endgame unfolds, and we tack on two more scores for a 42-14 final. We’ll move on into the next round…

We play in Seattle next. They seem to have our number—they beat us 15-3 and 10-3 this year, each time grinding out the yards on the ground and totally stopping us. Their points ratio is 401-201, suggesting that they are the real deal. This will be a serious uphill battle for our club.

In the early going we look okay, getting a couple of first downs. After they get it back, they quickly go up top and hit for a 59-yard TD pass. Ouch. On their next possession, Seattle gets a TD run from their star RB Galloway to go up 14-0. It unfolds rapidly, they add another 10 points by the half, and it totally falls apart for us. 51-14 is the final toll, and my money is on Seattle to win it all.

The Seahawks win the Superbowl 41-18 – very impressive. We get no love in the postseason awards listings. Seattle’s RB Timothy Galloway has a monster season: 394 carries for 2,010 yards and 17 TDs—and he claims the superfecta of MVP, SB MVP, 1st team, and OPOY. A couple of Academy grads do well—CB Omar McGregor gets first team, and TE Albert Patterson is named to the second team.

Establishing some legitimacy to our running game is A1 for next year—the quick fix is at RB, I think. I’ll probably go with quantity, but I won’t rule out taking a RB first.
Old 12-14-2000, 08:32 PM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

2010 preseason

Franchise fairly solidly in the black. My coach’s contract is up- and I decide to look around a bit. With this challenge, it’s tough to know what to really look for in a coach—I need my guys to develop quickly, but I also need them to perform well on the field. I go after a pretty balanced guy in Christian Duffy, who has EX with QB and offensive play calling, and a number of strengths. His biggest weakness is oddly with WRs (Fair). He should be a modest step up, and a little younger.

We lose a lot of talent this year—CBs Favre and Haukioja were both solid, but I’ve prepared for their loss. We lose our great pair of FBs in Wallace and Tyler, but have planned there as well. LB Rusty Kirk takes off, and we’ll suffer that loss. WR Glen Carr maybe our most painful defection—we’ll drop down a significant notch with his departure, along with those of Nick Rios and Floyd Hodges. We lose three OL: Wright, Donaldson, and Blevins. All in all—we lose a sizable chunk of quality and quantity.

We peddle away our 5th year players, and add (net) a first round pick (#25) plus two extra third rounders, but we lose our sixth. A decent haul.

With picks #25 and #29 in the draft, I’m shooting to grab two solid impact players who can step in and start. My major need areas are OT, DE, WR, and LB- in something like that order. I’m frustrated with my running game, but I’m not sure if I can leave holes unfilled to draft early there, unless I’m blown away. Ideally, I’d take a WR and either OT or DE in round one, then get a decent DE/OT in round two, and then in round three grab a decent LB plus a couple of BPAs, maybe a running back.

As my pick approaches, I’m disheartened. The two draftable OTs are gone, and DE has been wiped out. WR looks thin, and I’ll have to order off the menu, it would seem. I’ve never done this before, but I decide to risk a first round pick on a player who I like solely because I think he might “break out.” WR Darryl Powell looks like an immediate contributor, but he shows very little potential for future growth. If I’m right, he’ll have a great camp, and be a total stud. If I’m wrong—I just wasted my top pick on a third-round caliber wideout. As his name is called, the QFA fans at Madison Square Garden are screaming and holding their heads, a la Jeff Lageman.

Rnd 1 - Austin Garrett, RB, James Madison
Rnd 1 - Darryl Powell, WR, Colorado
Rnd 2 - Leland Ford, T, Stanford
Rnd 3 - Arnold Collazo, WR, Alabama
Rnd 3 - Will Cooley, C, Arkansas
Rnd 3 - Brenden Peterson, DE, Maryland
Rnd 4 - Jared Diaz, RB, Tx. A&M - Commerce
Rnd 5 - George Graveson, LB, Louisiana State
Rnd 7 - Emmanuel Walls, LB, Southern California

I waited too long at LB, and lost the handful of guys I was watching. I’m pretty disappointed with the draft overall—but if I do indeed get a breakout from WR Powell, I’ll be pleased again. Later round picks were fine, but not spectacular at any point.

We invite a number of undrafted rookies into our camp, and then head into training camp. I’m filled with anticipation—hoping for the best.

WR Darryl Powell… doesn’t budge. He’ll be okay, maybe a starter, but he’s not getting any better (especially with my coach who understands the throwing side, but not the catching side). I do get a nice boom from URFA FB Calvin Pierce—he’ll step right in and contend for major playing time. Other than that, no real news. A pretty weak incoming class—quantity, but fairly little quality.

Position/Player Current Est Future Est Exp Sgnd
QB Dean McTyer 12 12 4 2010
QB Paul Kahn 7 12 3 2010
QB Frank Foley 5 10 3 2010
RB Wes Acuna 9 13 3 2011
RB Austin Garrett 7 12 1 2014
RB Ed Dixon 7 9 2 2012
RB Hunter Whiting 6 6 4 2012
RB Jared Diaz 5 13 1 2012
FB Calvin Pierce 12 12 1 2013
FB Lamont Blair 9 11 3 2010
FB James Emmons 8 9 3 2011
TE Lamar Hampton 6 9 2 2012
TE Darnell Oliver 5 8 3 2011
WR Quentin Peak 10 13 3 2010
WR Darryl Powell 10 10 1 2013
WR Mike Cornett 8 10 3 2011
WR Maurice Shepard 7 9 4 2011
WR Arnold Collazo 6 9 1 2012
WR Jimmy Brown 6 9 2 2012
C Will Forbes 8 13 2 2011
C Doug Cortez 3 12 1 2013
C Will Cooley 2 13 1 2013
G Ross Gamboa 11 15 2 2012
G Wally Halvorson 6 11 3 2011
G Donovan Grimes 3 13 1 2013
T Randy Ellis 6 7 4 2010
T Leland Ford 5 12 1 2013
T Toby McGee 3 7 2 2012
P Dwight Bennewith 8 14 1 2013
K Tyrell Cox 11 12 3 2011
DE Pete Gilmore 10 14 2 2012
DE Roman Costello 10 14 4 2010
DE Cary Caldwell 6 10 2 2011
DE Brenden Peterson 4 10 1 2012
DT Joseph Schwartz 15 15 4 2011
DT Kendall Emmons 8 11 4 2010
DT Hugh Vogt 8 12 2 2011
DT Billy Powell 5 9 2 2012
LB Mel Davidson 10 15 4 2010
LB Orlando Grant 8 12 2 2012
LB George Graveson 7 7 1 2011
LB Ethan Henry 4 6 1 2013
LB Joel Sankey 4 8 2 2011
LB Vince Brothers 4 9 3 2011
LB Emmanuel Walls 2 8 1 2011
CB Chris Porter 9 14 3 2011
CB Antoine Dunkin 7 12 3 2010
CB Darryl Johnstone 4 7 2 2012
CB Desmond McKenzie 4 5 1 2013
S Clyde Birk 14 14 4 2011
S Greg Rison 5 11 3 2011
S Donnie Boone 5 5 1 2013
S Austin Osborne 5 9 2 2012

I don’t think this is going to get better this year than last—I don’t see our running game really improving unless one of these rookies takes off, and our passing game will probably regress with the loss of our top wideout. On defense, we lost an anchor cover corner, and didn’t add any impact players. I don’t like the feel of this one—my “sense of smell” suggests that we’ll be down this year.
Old 12-15-2000, 09:30 AM   #10
Hunter
n00b

In regards to Powell, I did the same exact thing. Except mine was a #13 pick and that wide receiver had actuals in the 38-40 range with absolutely no future potential. After camp, he stayed right where he was and I ate that contract for years afterward.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2000, 11:32 AM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

2010 season

I set up with McTyer as my starter at QB, and I use Acuna as my tailback starter. I’ve got his PT set low, and rookies Garrett and Diaz will both get some playing time, until I get the running game sorted out. I’d prefer for one guy to emerge—but Garrett has lousy endurance, so he might not be cut out for full-time duty. Ugh. I am also displeased with my OL.

On defense, we look okay, but not spectacular. I suspect we’ll be pretty decent against the run—tough up the middle- but we’ll probably be pretty average overall. I don’t think this is that great of a team, and if we start taking injury losses, we may find out that it isn’t very deep either.

We lose MLB Mel Davidson to an early injury, and he’ll miss half the season. Not what we needed—LB is pretty thin as it is.

QB McTyer tries to play through a finger injury, but he cannot, and Kahn comes in during the first game. We lose 30-24 to San Diego, marking an inauspicious start. Rookie RB Garrett gets 17 carries for 73 yards in the losing effort.

A good game from QB McTyer and a clinching kickoff return by rookie safety Donnie Boone seal our first win, 27-24 over Oakland. Kansas City thrashes us 34-14 behind two defensive scores of interceptions. We win at home over Arizona on a last minute FG, 31-28.

We’re 2-2, and we head into Seattle, home of the defending champs. They put a 30-6 hurt on us. QBs McTyer and Kahn both get their chances—and they both are mugged.

We bounce back with a good win over Philadelphia, and RB Garrett has 110 yards and a TD (and no inflation from one big gainer). We lose a close one at Denver, and fall to 3-4 on the year. Our home stand against Seattle is probably the big game now—if we lose, we’re probably done for the year.

Rookie RB Garrett outrushes their superstar Galloway 120-50, and we take the game 19-9, mostly with FGs. At 4-4 we have some hope of getting it going now, and Garrett is emerging as a running back I can count on.

We hold the Giants to 149 yards of total offense, and win 10-0. We win another road game, in the same stadium, beating the Jets 20-17. 6-4 looks a little better, and we have some real hope now, though our running game hasn’t really kept up the pace. We best Denver, and our 7-4 record looks more playoff- worthy every week. Paul Kahn comes in for injured McTyer, who will miss a few weeks.

We lose at home to San Diego, which dents our momentum. Two wins get it back, and we’re up to 9-5 on the season. Right now, that’s good enough for a 3-way tie for the last two playoff spots. My losses have all been in the conference, so I need to win out.

McTyer returns, and throws for 367 yards against Jacksonville, leading us to a 47-14 romp. RB Garrett adds 123 and 2 TD of his own, as our offense plays its best game of the year. Our final game is in Oakland, and they are 9-6—looking to take our potential playoff spot by beating us. We prevail, 27-21, and move into the playoffs at 11-5.

Stat leaders:

QB Dean McTyer: 2,349 yds, 57.4%, 6.36 ypa, 12/10, 75.9
RB Austin Garrett: 173-816 yds, 9 TD (4.7 ypc)
RB Wes Acuna: 75-311 yds, 1 TD (4.1 ypc)
WR Darryl Powell: 74-1,001 yds, 2 TD (55.2%, 8 drops)
S Clyde Birk: 91 tackles, 1 int, 28.6 PDQ
DE Roman Costello, Pete Gilmore: 11.5 sacks each
CB Chris Porter: 58 tackles, 6 int, 33.9 PDQ

Overall stats (off/def/avg):
Rushing: 4.1/ 3.0 / 3.7
Passing: 6.1 / 6.8 / 6.5

The team was about as I had predicted, though I would have forecasted these stats to generate about an 8-8 season or so. We ran a bit better, and we stopped the run well. Our passing game dropped off, as did our pass defense. I’m not thrilled with our chances, to be honest, but we get into the playoffs, which is a measure of reward anyway.
Old 12-15-2000, 12:39 PM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

2010 postseason

First stop, the city than never sweeps, lovely Enwye. We take on the 11-5 Jets—who were led by a big-play QB, Jamal Lewis at RB, and a defense that is now pretty banged up. We have a shot against these guys.

The start off with the ball, move into my territory, and kick a 39-yd FG to lead 3-0. McTyer was picked off in Jets territory to give it back. We return the favor, and take over at our 39. We get a 40-yd FG of our own, and tie it up. Early in the second, they are threatening to break the deadlock, but we get another pickoff. WR Cornett makes two great plays in a second quarter drive, including a 35-yard TD catch to give us the 10-3 lead. McTyer drives un for a late-half FG, and we take a 13-3 lead into halftime. There have been 22 rushing yards in the whole game—and the Jets have 26 of them. Ouch.

In the third quarter, we get a 6-yard carry to push us into positive rushing yardage. They get the ball after a sack of reserve QB Kahn and a fumble, and they take over at our 39. A FG brings them within 7 points. With 4 minutes left, we are racking up the ground yards—up to 17 now. We punt them beck to their 1yard line. They dig out, but only to punt to midfield, and we drive in for a TD to lead 20-6.

With 4 minutes left, they get a good punt return to our 39, and have one last shot to get rolling. We totally stuff them, and take over on downs at our 36. They get the ball back with 2:12 left, and get things rolling—eventually tacking on a TD to make it 20-13 with 1:34 left. We need to get the onside kick… and we do. Our running game being what it is, our three carries yield 3 yards, and we have 4th and 7 from their 35 yard line—tough call with 27 seconds left. We decide to go for the FG… and the 53-yarder is good, sealing he deal. We win it 23-13. WR Cornett had 8-165, TD in the big game, and almost all of that was in the first half when the game was very much in question.

Our next game is in Cincinnati. They were 13-3, behind our old QB Derrick Andrews, a “role player” offense and a stellar D that allowed only 207 points in 16 games. I doubt we’ll move the ball well against them, but big plays could loom large here. We’ll be without McTyer, who is doubtful with a thumb injury.

Both teams’ first possessions go nowhere- a sign of things to come. They get a breakaway run for about 50 yards, which sets up an 11-yd TD pass. We respond with another three and out. The field position battle continues for a while, until we get an interception off Andrews and take over at their 42—our best field position yet. We get a FG out of the exchange, and pull back within 4 points. They get three breakaway runs of 15+ yards to move in for another FG, and it’s 10-3 until halftime.

On the opening drive of the second half, they add a FG. We get in close, but have to punt from their 37, and they rip off a 53-yard TD run on the next drive to put them over 200 yards rushing on the day, and ahead by the score of 20-3. The game is quiet from that point on, they add a late FG and take it 23-3. Their defense was awesome, and QB Derrick Andrews hardly had to do anything but hand off.

Cincinnati loses to Carolina in the Superbowl. Our CB Chris Porter is named to the first team all-pro squad, and DE Roman Costello to the second team. RB Austin Garrett is named Offensive rookie of the year—mustn’t have been a lot of competition. Seattle RB Timothy Galloway again wraps up MVP/OPOY/1TRB honors, with a 1,688 yard season.

Well, we made the playoffs, which exceeded my expectations. I’m unsure what it would take to make this team win it all, but this is getting to be a little tedious. The downside is that the team has rather little personality—once I get to know my players, they are out the door. The upside is that at least I’m not dominating the league every season, which gets tired.
Old 12-16-2000, 02:39 PM   #13
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Exclamation

QuikSand, do you still play this career, or is this another died attempt to make FOF hard for you to deal with?
Anyway, I'm not sure you put these in, but I have some rules you could implent in this kinda career to get it harder:

- Accept trade offers if the particular player is likely to get a strarting job at the new team.
- Contracts will end after the 4th season of any player (so rookies will get 4-year contracts, go try to sign 53 players with this one, it's very hard to deal with!).
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2000, 02:46 PM   #14
QuikSand
lolzcat

Matthijs, I think this career is likely to go into hibernation for now, as I've found it pretty uninspiring.

I'm not sure I follow your suggestion-- are you saying that I ought to have been signing al my rookies to exactly four year deals? (You're right, I have no idea how tough it woudl be to get a 5th round pick to take a four year deal, but I doubt I'd have too much salary cap difficulty-- I didn't thus far in this career)

Regardless, I'm less than thrilled about this concept... and I'm starting a new career to explore a new set of rules.
Old 12-16-2000, 03:20 PM   #15
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Okay, it's your career not mine.

I'm just saying that singing rookies to 4-year deals the way I did was very hard.
I used the following contract formulae:
Bonus Money = 10 times 1st year money
1st year = well, 1st year money
2nd year = 1.5 times 1st year money
3rd year = 2 times 1st year money
4th year = 2.5 times 1st year money
Maybe this doesn't work well in FOF2k1, but it sure was hard in FOF2.

Again, it's your diciscion.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2000, 09:55 PM   #16
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quick Sand:

Great topic/idea and too bad you didnt draft that quaterback in the 4th round last year....anyway i wanted to know if you could possialbly show some key stats for the rookies when you draft them..like breakaway spped short yardage or run/pass blocking or some QB stats...as always you come up with another great idea...good luck
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote