Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-10-2003, 08:05 PM   #1
Castlerock
High School Varsity

FOF2k4: Rookie Holdouts

I just finished a rookie draft. I had one pick in each round (1-7). The ONLY player that is not holding out on me is my 5th round pick. I love the holdout feature but damn... Almost my entire draft class won't sign?

Is this common? I offered mostly short-term, short-money and a couple longer-term, short money.

Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:23 PM   #2
FBPro
College Starter

No, really seems to vary from year to year. Most years the most I have is 1 and often none.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025

Last edited by FBPro : 12-10-2003 at 08:24 PM.
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:38 PM   #3
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I have gotten the impression that if your 1st-round draft choice holds out, it increases the likelihood that your others will hold out.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:40 PM   #4
FBPro
College Starter

I haven't noticed that but I haven't really been looking either.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
nfgrawker22
n00b

never had a rookie holdout all year...yet I always let the scout deal with rookies...
Old 12-10-2003, 09:56 PM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I have had two rookies, both first round picks, in consecutive years, hold out all year. This was with me offering the maximum option, they just wouldn't take it.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:36 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

I've gotten to the point where I start with the 7th round picks, and sign my way upwards. don't know if it actually makes a difference as far as holdouts go, but it SEEMS to.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:20 PM   #8
GabeRivers
n00b

Gotta agree with SackAttack, and out of frustration, I ran a save/re-load test on this. It definitely helps to start at the bottom and work up. There can still be holdouts, but there are less.
GabeRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:53 PM   #9
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Did you know that if you click on a player's agent he has a rating on negotiations? That will help on which offer to use in signing rookies.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:57 PM   #10
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I haven't seen that (the agent rating) make like ANY difference in rookie contracts, personally.

Aside from the first time I've ever played, I've never had a 1st round pick accept the long term deal. Ever.

Maybe I'll run a few tests on draft signees.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:55 AM   #11
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by SackAttack
I've gotten to the point where I start with the 7th round picks, and sign my way upwards. don't know if it actually makes a difference as far as holdouts go, but it SEEMS to.

I do that too.
All is want is the rookies to be in training camp ready to learn and progress. So the more players I have in camp right away, the better.
That's why I begin my the "easiest" ones (late rounders) and then making my way upward.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:44 AM   #12
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

In my career I've had over 100 draft picks. I think there was ONE that I didn't get signed before training camp - and he signed immediately after. There was one I never did sign because he had busted so horribly, and one I wish I didn't sign for the same reason.

Anyway, here's how I've done it:

1) I let the assistants handle signings through late free agency. They usually do a good job but leave one or two left.

2) Then I switch the button to let me take over the signings.

3) 1st and 2nd rounders usually are offered the short years, high money offer on the far right. Other picks are offered the biggest money offer on the board (2nd from the left?).

It's a pain to have to switch that button every year, but I think the results are worth it. Draft picks are very important to me and it's important to get them as much development time as possible to maximize their value.

Last edited by Honolulu Blue : 12-11-2003 at 09:43 AM.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 06:46 AM   #13
Peregrine
Pro Starter

One thing that was funny to see was my one first rounder that held out the entire year, was drafted in the first round again the next year, and turned out to be a complete bust!

I'm going to try to working from the bottom thing though.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 08:58 AM   #14
Castlerock
High School Varsity

I managed to get all but my 1st rounder signed by the start of pre-season. He signed part-way through. For the short-years, big-money option.

I only did that because last years number one pick held out all year.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:05 AM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee Warlord
I haven't seen that (the agent rating) make like ANY difference

I find this to be the exact opposite of my experiences. I can look at the agent rating, and predict with 90% accuracy which deal the rookie will take on the first try.

Plus, you get two cracks at it before training camp, so it's not that bad.

And I do start at the 7th round and work my way up.

I've probably had only 3 players go to training camp without a contract in 23 years. And all of those have signed in the first week of the preseason.

When in doubt, offer option 4.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:19 AM   #16
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

I agree with CThomer,

I offer option 4 when I have a stubborn negotiator for an agent. I have only had one holdout but signed him after training camp.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:23 AM   #17
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
I have gotten the impression that if your 1st-round draft choice holds out, it increases the likelihood that your others will hold out.

I do what cthomer does, and start with the last round pick and work my way up. I have never seen the late round guys not sign.
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:41 AM   #18
MrBug708
Head Coach

If you offer the bottom contract offer, he'll almost always sign
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:45 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Like a lot of others here, I think there's definitely:

a) a hit & miss element of this. I've had 6 of 7 holdout one year & then several years with 1 holdout or 0 holdouts.

and

b) Agent negotiation ratings seem to be a pretty good predictor of reaction to offers. That said, I wonder if anyone has drawn any conclusions about the effect of your history with a particular agent as well as what impact him having multiple players on your team already actually has.

As an aside, am I the only person who actively avoids a particular agent when drafting? Early in my career I ran across one agent who seemed to give me fits (like a 97 negotiation). Holdouts, $$$ deals, the whole bit. When I see his name on a rookie, I just keep right on clicking through, I won't even touch 'em.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:47 AM   #20
SegRat
High School Varsity

I always try to look at the guys signed before and after my picks. I see what the other guys signed for, then based on that I look at the options to sign him. To me it is like a slotted system. This has worked very well for me. I have only had one hold out. The reason for that was because the guys before and after him had not signed their contracts.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:14 PM   #21
Erithtotl
n00b

I also find that the agent rating makes NO difference on 1st round picks. I once had a guy with a SIX rating in negotiations, and I offered the 1st rounder the long term, higher paying contract and he refused. I have NEVER seen a first rounder in the top 15 picks accpet ANYTHING but the short term, high paying contract.

After the 2nd round I find you can have some wiggle room, but the 1st rounders will only accept the most favorable short-term deal in my expeirence, reguardless of agent, and I've played about 35 seasons in two seperate leagues.
Erithtotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 03:18 PM   #22
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Erithtotl
I also find that the agent rating makes NO difference on 1st round picks. I once had a guy with a SIX rating in negotiations, and I offered the 1st rounder the long term, higher paying contract and he refused. I have NEVER seen a first rounder in the top 15 picks accpet ANYTHING but the short term, high paying contract.

After the 2nd round I find you can have some wiggle room, but the 1st rounders will only accept the most favorable short-term deal in my expeirence, reguardless of agent, and I've played about 35 seasons in two seperate leagues.

this is what I've found, too. I've run save and reload tests, and they always take the short, high pay option. I don't even bother with anything else until the 3rd round.

I also start out with 7th round, a habit from earlier versions of FOF.
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote