Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-22-2000, 11:42 AM   #1
Subby
lolzcat

Post ***Village II Newsflash***

Davies Set to Retire

Cleveland (AP) - According to news sources, Blaine Davies, the wildly popular 18-year Quarterback for the Cleveland Browns, is planning to retire. The team has called a news conference for 4pm today, and at that time it is expected Davies will make his announcement. In recent interviews, Davies has hinted at retiring, and his recent signing with talent agency William Morris only fueled that speculation. Davies has also indicated his desire to spend more time with his wife and their four young children at their ranch in Wyoming.

Blaine Davies was the number one pick of the Cleveland Browns and the number one pick overall in the 1999 draft. He previously spent 4 years at the University of Utah, and still holds NCAA records in passing yards, touchdowns, and passing rating.

Davies appeared in 5 Superbowls in his 18 seasons, winning 3 (he missed the Superbowl due to injury in 2005). He was named All-league QB 5 times, Offensive player of the year 3 times and League MVP once. In addition, he holds every team passing record, plus league records in Career Passing Yards (59,303), Career Touchdowns (397), Passing Yards in a Season (4,979), and QB Rating in a Season (110.5).

Coach Martin Force, at a recent Shriner's Luncheon, got choked up when talking about Davies, saying, "there is no tougher football player than Blaine Davies. He is a leader of men and comes from a time when men led by example. He has played through concussions, broken bones, stretched ligaments - you name it. And he never asked for a rest or took a play off. If there is one man I would want my children to look up to - someone who is the very embodiment of integrity - it would be Blaine Davies."

Davies should be a lock for the Hall of Fame and will be eligible for induction in five years.

[This message has been edited by Subby (edited 11-22-2000).]
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2000, 06:05 PM   #2
WebEwbank
High School JV

Cleveland (AP) Sources close to Blaine Davies today denied reports that Davies plans to seek a Wyoming Senate seat in 2002.
Speaking without attribution, they said that Davies plans to spend time with his family and work on his golf game.

Widely admired in Wyoming, Davies is seen as a lock for the nomination of either, or both, major parties, should he seek it.

Davies' history of public service, in Ohio and Wyoming, as well as his national visibility as a spokesman for such causes as literacy, good nutrition, and racial tolerance, would be likely to make him an attractive candidate.

Reached at home and asked about his political aspirations, Davies laughed and said,"I just want to watch Lee Clark and Rico lead the team to another Bowl victory."

A well-known lawyer has set up a Davies for Senate Committee in Knockknee, Wyoming, but Davies said that he was unaware of this, and had no comment.
WebEwbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2000, 05:34 AM   #3
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

(AP)

DAVIES set to retire

the city of Cleveland knew this would happen someday but still how strange it feels when the greatest player ever to wear a Browns uniform decides to call it quits.

Cleveland citizen were informed last night on the local news station that future Hall of Famer Blaine Davies, their beloved QB for 18 seasons, was about to call it a career.

Here are some reactions from local people asked about Davies' near-to-be-done-retirement ceremony :

"it's too bad he retires i'm sure he could have played one or two more years. I loved him, an absolute warrior on the field, but I guess sometimes you feel u need to move one"

"simply the greatest. Bar none. I'll never forget him."

"I think he should have done it a year ago...he pretty much wasn't his old self at all last year and the team suffered with him. I'm glad he retires now, gives way to the young guys"

"I mean hey, we're talking about Blaine Davies here ! how can i enjoy seeing him walk away and not being there anymore on sundays ?! are you crazy ?"

"Blaine Davies is the best thing that happened to Cleveland ever"

"His record speaks for itself, no doubt about it he's the greatest QB ever to play. Even greater than Steve Young, i don't know if you remember him, he was a Hall of Fame QB for the 49ers in the 1990's, i know a long time ago...heard he was awesome too..."

The official announcement along with a retirement ceremony is scheduled for 4pm this afternoon.
All Cleveland Browns fans will gather downtown where a gigantic screen as been placed for everyone to follow the announcement.

[This message has been edited by Darkiller (edited 11-23-2000).]
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2000, 08:07 AM   #4
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Who's got the file now ?

can't wait for the Blaine announcement.
Still scheduled at 4pm ?

I'll be in London this WE, be back sunday evenening ; have a great WE !

[This message has been edited by Darkiller (edited 11-24-2000).]
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote