Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2003, 09:10 PM   #1
TredWel
High School Varsity

Talking The ol' "Pass-to-yourself" trick play

I never realized Kelly Holcomb could run so fast.

Code:
2-09-CLE24 (05:38) CLE 10 Holcomb pass was intercepted by NED 95 Phifer at the NED36. The interception was returned 0 yards. Tackled by CLE 10 Holcomb.

TredWel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:12 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think even Jim would have a hard time justifying the guy moving 40 yards before the defender moved 1.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:12 PM   #3
samifan24
Pro Starter

Ah, another chance to read between the lines. Will someone do the honors?
Old 12-09-2003, 09:13 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by samifan24
Ah, another chance to read between the lines. Will someone do the honors?

yeah, but this one takes some serious imagination.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Not so fast.. the defender lept to make a great catch, but came down hard. He couldn't get up, but no one had tagged him, until the savvy vet QB realized the ball could still be advanced and jogged up to finish the play.

Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:19 PM   #6
sooner333
College Starter

Well, Phifer, a defensive back wearing a defensive lineman's number intercepts the ball, going back ten yards to try to find some room and blocks, realizes he can't, so he goes back around the other way and is met by Kelly Holcomb who is running with a head of steam and sticks him and the same yardline as the interception.

I can't believe you didn't know that!!!!!!!!
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:20 PM   #7
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Come on, this would be easy. Obviously, the team advanced the football.

Unfortunately, they got greedy and pitched the ball in hopes of gaining more yards. Ultimately Phifer ends up with the ball, ironically, in the same spot where he caught the ball.

Fortunately, Holcomb, who had been trotting to the sideline in hopes of not receiving a beat down from the opposing team, was there for the excuse me tackle.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:23 PM   #8
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

That's good. But I checked the code, and here's what happened...

2-09-CLE24 (05:38) CLE 10 Holcomb pass was intercepted by NED 95 Phifer at the NED36.

Phifer starts up the right sideline, crosses over to the middle at the Cleveland 40. He's met with a vicious hit to the head by Cleveland's William Green, still angry about his 15th suspension for using marijuana.

But Phifer doesn't go down. Disoriented, he starts back upfield the wrong way. At the New England 30, Patriot Ty Law catches him, yells "you're going the wrong way, Roman."

Phifer turns around, dodges a diving tackle from Cleveland's Dennis Northcutt, but Holcomb grabs him by the ankle and takes him down at the 36.

The interception was returned 0 yards. Tackled by CLE 10 Holcomb.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:23 PM   #9
Suicane75
Coordinator

Holcombe heaves the pass a mile high, it bounces off of a defender and high into the air, Phifer gets the jump ball and moves towards the sideline, upon seeing a sea of brown(s) he reverses field, moving backwards. Finnaly he has daylight and scampers 10 yards back to the point of the Interception before Holcombe takes him out.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:24 PM   #10
Suicane75
Coordinator

Jim's is better

Last edited by Suicane75 : 12-09-2003 at 09:24 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:28 PM   #11
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Solecismic

2-09-CLE24 (05:38) CLE 10 Holcomb pass was intercepted by NED 95 Phifer at the NED36.

Phifer starts up the right sideline, crosses over to the middle at the Cleveland 40. He's met with a vicious hit to the head by Cleveland's William Green, still angry about his 15th suspension for using marijuana.

But Phifer doesn't go down. Disoriented, he starts back upfield the wrong way. At the New England 30, Patriot Ty Law catches him, yells "you're going the wrong way, Roman."

Phifer turns around, dodges a diving tackle from Cleveland's Dennis Northcutt, but Holcomb grabs him by the ankle and takes him down at the 36.

LOL
Old 12-09-2003, 09:32 PM   #12
The_herd
College Starter

Who needs radio style broadcasting when we have Jim to give us a hand when we are somewhat lacking in imagination?

Last edited by The_herd : 12-09-2003 at 09:33 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:34 PM   #13
mckerney
Coordinator

I'm guessing that New England declined the Illegal Forward Pass penalty?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:36 PM   #14
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Waitaminute, what year was this? Is this before or after the antigrav boots?
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:38 PM   #15
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

That's right, TredWel could have entered the anti-gravity cheat code.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:42 PM   #16
TredWel
High School Varsity

Ah, I have the answer. I simmed to the end of the season, when I got the following message:

Code:
The league office has decided to suspend Kelly Holcomb of Cleveland for the 2004 season. Holcomb was spotted wearing The Flash's costume, in violation of the league's strict anti-superhero policy.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:44 PM   #17
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TredWel
Ah, I have the answer. I simmed to the end of the season, when I got the following message:

Code:
The league office has decided to suspend Kelly Holcomb of Cleveland for the 2004 season. Holcomb was spotted wearing The Flash's costume, in violation of the league's strict anti-superhero policy.

ahhh. It all comes together.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:53 PM   #18
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Solecismic

And that is why we need in game commentary
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:34 PM   #19
Poli
FOFC Survivor

That Phifer is a smart football player. The ol' Pass to Yourself Play works nearly every time.

Fortunately for his team, Phifer saw it coming and intercepted the pass.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:25 AM   #20
Celeval
Pro Starter

Kelly Holcomb throws the ball downfield to Dennis Northcutt... the ball bounces off Northcutt's hands... off of Ty Law's hands... off the helmet of Quincy Morgan... the pads of James Jackson... and finally Roman Phifer picks it up out of the air, just as Holcomb makes it up to the ball to try and catch it himself. *BOOM*

Tackle by QB Holcomb.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:11 AM   #21
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Roman Phifer blitzes Holcomb causing him to release the ball quickly. The defensive line gets a hand on it deflecting it high in the air. The ball spirals backwards towards them. Holcomb and Phifer simultaneously jump for ball. Phifer gets an inch and comes down with the ball while Holcom is there for the tackle.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:41 AM   #22
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by GoSeahawks
Roman Phifer blitzes Holcomb causing him to release the ball quickly. The defensive line gets a hand on it deflecting it high in the air. The ball spirals backwards towards them. Holcomb and Phifer simultaneously jump for ball. Phifer gets an inch and comes down with the ball while Holcom is there for the tackle.

That fails to explain how the ball went from the CLE24 to the NE36.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 02:19 AM   #23
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Well the Dlinemen intercepting 40+ yards down field is easy.. ever played tecmo bowl.. surely we all have... Dt's can cover a entire field in 5 seconds..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:04 AM   #24
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
That fails to explain how the ball went from the CLE24 to the NE36.

Ahhhh, I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:32 AM   #25
cuervo72
Head Coach

Holcomb, under pressure decides to scramble, and weaves his way to the NE 36. There, he unwisely tries to lateral across the field, but the ball is instead caught by Phifer. Phifer to avoid tackling runs towards the middle of the field, where he is tackled by Holcomb.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:53 AM   #26
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Holcomb, under pressure decides to scramble, and weaves his way to the NE 36. There, he unwisely tries to lateral across the field, but the ball is instead caught by Phifer. Phifer to avoid tackling runs towards the middle of the field, where he is tackled by Holcomb.

True. I guess he could have thrown an illegal forward pass, which would have been declined by New England. So they too kthe interception, which happened 40 yards downfield.

yeah... that's the ticket
Old 12-10-2003, 11:54 AM   #27
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragone
Well the Dlinemen intercepting 40+ yards down field is easy.. ever played tecmo bowl.. surely we all have... Dt's can cover a entire field in 5 seconds..

I think Tecmo originated the zone blitz, damn could those lineman cover!
Old 12-10-2003, 02:30 PM   #28
KevinNU7
College Starter

Just like to point out that Roman Phifer is a linebacker for the Patriots who wears number 95. Just because his number is in the 90's doesn't mean he is on the D-Line