Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2003, 08:40 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Talking OT: I don't know where you're gonna be next Saturday...

...but I'm gonna be prowling the sidelines at the Georgia Dome----finally!!!!
Quote:
Tigers earn first trip to Dome

By JAY STONE
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer
Edited by SkyDog because this nimrod got the name of one our star players wrong. He called FB Jimmy Coleman "Jemond Miller." There is no one by that name on the Tucker squad. Guess they send the 2nd-team reporter out to cover Saturday games. If Jimmy were a bit player, it would be more understandable, but he's a D-1 kid all the way who has gotten a decent amount of press time in the AJC this year.

LaGrange -- With a symphony playing in the auditorium next door to Callaway Stadium, Tucker's Brandyn Young and Jimmy Coleman appeared inspired by the holiday season to make a little music of their own Saturday night.

Young carried 18 times for 120 yards, including a 9-yard touchdown run, and Coleman's 79-yard scoring run secured Tucker's first ticket to the Georgia Dome with a 29-0 win over Troup.

Tucker (12-1) will face Statesboro (10-2-1) on Saturday at the Georgia Dome with a chance to avenge an 8-7 overtime loss three years ago.

Troup (11-2) found offense hard to come by, managing just 164 total yards, and its chance to keep the game close faded away in Tucker's third-quarter, goal-line stand.

"The defense just stepped it up and made plays," Tucker coach Bill Ballard said. "That was a big momentum changer."

Tucker fumbled away its first opportunity at the Troup 6-yard line but got points after forcing Troup into a punt attempt. After a low snap, Troup punter Courtney Billingslea had difficulty picking the ball up and then tossed it through the end zone for a Tucker safety.

It marked the second consecutive night a safety was recorded at Callaway Stadium, but unlike LaGrange's 2-0 win over Swainsboro on Friday in the AAA quarterfinals, Tucker didn't have to make the safety stand up.

With the temperatures dipping into the 30s, Tucker stayed in the locker room until just before the opening kickoff, and its offense seemed to relish the extra couple of minutes of warmth, moving the ball consistently from start to finish and piling up 466 total yards.

D.T. McDowell's 27-yard touchdown pass to Raejon Alexander and Young's 9-yard run in the second quarter pushed the lead to 15-0 at the half, and the Tigers from DeKalb County had the game under control.

Troup had its best chance in the first half taken away when Tucker's Trey Buice intercepted Tyler Wynn's pass in the end zone with 18 seconds left.

Troup drove to the Tucker 1-yard line on its opening possession of the second half, but Tucker stopped it three consecutive plays to push back the threat.

Tucker then responded with an eight-play, 98-yard drive to put the game away. McDowell connected with Alexander on a 73-yard pass and then snuck in from the 1.

Tucker 2 13 14 0 -- 29
Troup 0 0 0 0 -- 0

Tuc -- Safety (Troup punter Courtney Billingslea threw ball through end zone)
Tuc -- Raejon Alexander 27 pass from D.T. McDowell (kick failed)
Tuc -- Brandyn Young 9 run (Blake Harr kick)
Tuc -- McDowell 1 run (Harr kick)
Tuc -- Jimmy Coleman 79 run (Harr kick)
This has felt a long time coming. This was the third time in the last four seasons that Tucker was playing in the Q-Finals, one game away from being in the Dome, but the Tigers had never gotten over the hump before last night's stirring win. For more info on this magical season, check the dynasty thread that I've posted to chronicle this season.

--Ben

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 12-07-2003 at 08:56 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:50 AM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

So are they now in the semi's, or the championship game? The article doesn't really say...
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:53 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

Semi's are in the Dome. Finals are at the site of one of the two teams. About half of Georgia's population lives in metro Atlanta, about half in the rest of the state, mostly in MUCH smaller towns. The outside-of-Atlanta towns get a big boost when the state title game is there. I don't blame 'em for not being willing to give up a shot at hosting a state title game every other year.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:04 AM   #4
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

My dad might be going to the Dome. I'll probably be on my way out to Augusta for a hockey game.

My dad played for Tucker his first two years in high school, and then his family moved over to Gwinnett and Norcross (actually was probably called West Gwinnett back then) was so bad that he quit football.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 11:29 AM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I will be down the street for tech basketball

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 11:30 AM   #6
The_herd
College Starter

In-Laws will be here, enough said...
Old 12-07-2003, 11:31 AM   #7
Easy Mac

I'll be playing FOF4 in the warmth of my apartment
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 11:32 AM   #8
Ben E Lou

For those in metro Atlanta (actually the entire state I think), the game will be televised, FYI.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:34 AM   #9
digamma
Torchbearer

I'm there.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:14 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

SD - AFAIK, pretty much the entire state can watch both days at the Dome (as well as a couple of the championship games the following week) on any & all of the GPTV stations.

AND

my curiosity caused me to check & sure enough ...

Watch the games Live on the web. Check the game schedule for webcast times.
http://www.gptv.org/gptv/programs/ghsa/football.htm
Old 12-07-2003, 12:15 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dola -- I almost forgot ...

Congratulations Tucker !

Old 12-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #12
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA

Watch the games Live on the web. Check the game schedule for webcast times.
http://www.gptv.org/gptv/programs/ghsa/football.htm
Heh. I had NO idea! Definitely going to put this info in the Dynasty thread!
Old 12-07-2003, 12:19 PM   #13
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Hmm... what time are the games and how much are tickets? I have a good deal of flexibility in my schedule in returning home next weekend.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:20 PM   #14
Easy Mac

Just make sure to dress warmly this time

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:22 PM   #15
Ben E Lou

Tucker will play at 6:00pm on Saturday night. Marist vs. TCC is 6pm Friday night. Here is how it works, both Friday and Saturday:

9am: Class A Semifinal
12pm: Class AA Semifinal
3pm: Class AAA Semifinal
6pm: Class AAAA Semifinal
9pm: Class AAAAA Semifinal

Check the ajc web page for the full schedule.

Tickets are $12 per day.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:24 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

RPI -- Tickets are $12/day, with all five games each day included in the ticket price. I'm not sure, but I don't think you're allowed to do "in and out"; i.e. go for the first game, leave, come back for the fourth game, etc.

1st game kicks off at 9AM, with 12n, 3p, 6p, & 9p scheduled starts to follow.

They're played in class size order, smallest to largest (A through AAAAA)
Old 12-07-2003, 12:24 PM   #17
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Do I assume that the winner of the Tucker game will play the winner of the Marist-TCC game?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:25 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yep Bucc, that's how it will work.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:27 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, in case anyone following this needs another team to follow, I'll endorse Spalding in the AAA semi's.

Until we made the decision to discontinue the broadcasts this year, I'd done radio play-by-play for about half their games since the school opened a few years ago.

And yeah, you're reading that right ... I'd have been working from the Dome Friday if we had continued. I'm very much okay with missing the opportunity but will admit that it's the tiniest bit frustrating to have missed a Final Four season after doing so many much less exciting/interesting seasons.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:33 PM   #20
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
And yeah, you're reading that right ... I'd have been working from the Dome Friday if we had continued. I'm very much okay with missing the opportunity but will admit that it's the tiniest bit frustrating to have missed a Final Four season after doing so many much less exciting/interesting seasons.
I'm impressed that it is only the tiniest bit frustrating.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:12 AM   #21
Ben E Lou

Jon:

Thanks again for the tip on the webcast! There are Tucker alums across the country who will be pleased to know about this.

--Ben