Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2003, 06:27 PM   #1
Easy Mac

Windows ME question

I have my old computer collecting dust in my closet, and would just like to have it around for older games and general crap.

I have a few questions about installing OS's:

1. I tried to use my Windows XP disk that came with my new computer to set up XP on the old computer. It crashed midway through the setup, so I don't think it will work. If I switched the flie system to NTFS, if I format my HD again, can I switch to FAT-32?

2. I can get ME for like $10, but XP is around $100, so I'll be installing that for the time being. I already have 98, but unfortuantely I don't have a dial-up modem, so I cannot connect to the internet to get 98 updates, since it does not seem to support LAN out of the box.

My question is, does ME support LAN out of the box?

And yes, I know ME sucks, but its my secondary computer, so its no big deal... Thinking about trying to overclock it just for the hell of it.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:19 PM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

It's been a while since I installed any version of Windows, but I would think that you'd be able to set up Windows 98 to use your LAN without net access. I assume that there's a NIC (network interface card) in your old machine. As long as you have drivers for it, you should be able to connect it to your LAN.

Of course, the process of connecting it is very dependent on how your LAN is set up, but I'm certain that it'd be possible without net access.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:32 PM   #3
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
I tried to use my Windows XP disk that came with my new computer to set up XP on the old computer. It crashed midway through the setup, so I don't think it will work. If I switched the flie system to NTFS, if I format my HD again, can I switch to FAT-32?

Its possible to switch back but I remember it being more complicated than I expected the last time I tried it a few years ago. You may encounter issues using the normal method.

Quote:
I can get ME for like $10, but XP is around $100, so I'll be installing that for the time being. I already have 98, but unfortuantely I don't have a dial-up modem, so I cannot connect to the internet to get 98 updates, since it does not seem to support LAN out of the box.

My question is, does ME support LAN out of the box?

As far as the network, I believe what you are looking for was added in 98 Second Edition so it should be in ME as well.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1. I tried to use my Windows XP disk that came with my new computer to set up XP on the old computer. It crashed midway through the setup, so I don't think it will work. If I switched the flie system to NTFS, if I format my HD again, can I switch to FAT-32?

Yes, use fdisk first (if you are familiar with it), you can't use the format command with an NTFS drive until it's been deleted, I think. (it's late)

Not sure about ME, I've never used it.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:42 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

Get Windows 98SE.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:25 AM   #6
uglytuco
n00b

Whatever you do, dont put ME on your computer. That was the worst piece of crap Ive ever seen. It was only marginally better than FBPro99, as far as software goes.
uglytuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 06:21 AM   #7
austinm56
n00b

I myself have been useing ME for awhile now, and no problems. Windows ME will distribute your system RAM alot better than any version of 98. Windows 98 will also only allow you to use no more than 1gig of RAM, and thats only if you configure it to do so. (which it still will not perform well, usually 512 is its max)
austinm56 is offline   Reply With Quote