Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2003, 05:08 PM   #1
mrskippy
Banned

New Laptop and FOF 2004

I'll be getting a new Dell Inspiron Notebook shortly and wondering if I'll be able to install FOF 2004 on it and still have it on my desktop. Will I be able to transfer game files back and forth? As for specs it's a Celeron 2.3 Ghz, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB HD. I imagine the game should run fine.

And since I'm getting a Dell ... can somebody please say the famous words?

mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

1. Yes, I have it on both my desktop and laptop. (I think we get two licenses. I don't have a need for any more than that, so I don't know if there are any more.)

2. Your system specs are fine. Pretty similar to my laptop, except I'm at 512MB Ram.

3. Yes. See the Solecismic F.A.Q. on how to transfer files back and forth.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:19 PM   #3
mrskippy
Banned

Thanks SkyDog.

Also, in terms of RAM and HD space ...

1.) How difficult is it to upgrade RAM in a laptop?
2.) How difficult is it to swap out the hard drive?

I didn't want to upgrade that stuff now, since it should suit my primary needs -- for teacher training and for when I get a class of my own next school year. The games and DVD playing are secondary.

Speaking of DVD ... is it possible to hook the laptop into a classroom television and show DVDs. And in the same respect ... PowerPoint presentations? What will I need to accomplish this. The school's hear have TVs mounted in every room, but VCRs and no DVD players. As an English teacher, I'll get to show movie versions of classic novels and Schindler's List (supposed to be on DVD in February) for when students read "Night."
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:36 PM   #4
fof playa
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mrskippy
...The school's hear have TVs mounted in every room, but VCRs and no DVD players. As an English teacher...

Maybe someone should look over your school's budget and see if there is any resources left to find better English teachers instead of spending all that money on technology.
fof playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:40 PM   #5
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Thanks SkyDog.

Also, in terms of RAM and HD space ...

1.) How difficult is it to upgrade RAM in a laptop?
2.) How difficult is it to swap out the hard drive?

Both are extemely easy. Laptops usually have a little box that you open it upgrade memory without having to take apart the computer. You have to take it apart to swap the hard drive, but it's no problem. Just make sure to buy a size-compatable hard drive.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:45 PM   #6
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

ps, it's really easy to transfer the game back and forth if you get one of those little USB key drives. Those little drives are the greatest invention for people who transfer files from desktop to laptop. I got an 128mb one for less that $20.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:53 PM   #7
mckerney
Coordinator

Agreed on the USB flash drive. Plus the universe file is easily compressed into a much smaller file.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:57 PM   #8
korme
Go Reds

dude
you're getting a dell
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:59 PM   #9
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Speaking of DVD ... is it possible to hook the laptop into a classroom television and show DVDs. And in the same respect ... PowerPoint presentations? What will I need to accomplish this. The school's hear have TVs mounted in every room, but VCRs and no DVD players. As an English teacher, I'll get to show movie versions of classic novels and Schindler's List (supposed to be on DVD in February) for when students read "Night."

I'd see what your school has for digital projectors. My high school had about 10 or so, which was better than watching anything on a TV. Any decent projector you'll be able to hook up a laptop to.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:26 PM   #10
SegRat
High School Varsity

Anyone have any suggestions for me. I put FOF2004 on my laptop. Everything worked fine. Then I put it on my PC. The first time I went to load it up on the PC it said the general manager file was corrupted and to reinstall. I reinstalled it a few times and I get the same problem. I also emailed Jim, but have yet to get a response (unless if he emailed me back today, I am at work now). I really want it on both systems. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:18 PM   #11
Hurst2112
College Starter

did you get your license for your second machine? If you are installing on a new machine, you have to go online to grab your other license. I am sure you did do that so there might be an issue with the other computer's OS.

Also, is there any confirmation that you need a different installer or anything strange like that? I wouldn't think this would be an issue but you never know.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:27 PM   #12
SegRat
High School Varsity

My PC is online when I installed it. Maybe a dumb question but worth a shot, for the second machine I use the same license number as I did for the laptop? Or do I need a second license?

It says I need to reinstall.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:54 PM   #13
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

You need a 2nd one, I believe. You get 2, I believe. Of course..I am just, I believing, my way through this.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:03 PM   #14
SegRat
High School Varsity

Then how and where do I get the second one? I have never had the game installed on more than one machine before.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:36 PM   #15
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoobz0202
You need a 2nd one, I believe. You get 2, I believe. Of course..I am just, I believing, my way through this.

No...you would use the same code as before. Your single code gives you access to two licenses.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:37 PM   #16
SegRat
High School Varsity

Then I dont know what the problem is.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:50 PM   #17
wbonnell
College Prospect

RAM is cheap, to be sure, but since FOF doesn't consume more than about 40-50MB of ram (from what I can tell), 256MB is more than enough. Just make sure to close other memory intensive applications.
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:52 PM   #18
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by HeavyReign
No...you would use the same code as before. Your single code gives you access to two licenses.

Yeah, doesn't he use one license on his Desktop and one on his laptop?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:22 AM   #19
Hurst2112
College Starter

from what i remember from FOF2, you just need to install the program and enter the order number. You should be able to get your OTHER license by doing these steps. I know FOF2 was a long time ago, but the screen looks almost exactly the same when it comes to getting your license.

Perhaps somebody that has got it on 2 computers already has some more in depth info than I.

Be thankful you have it on one computer. Some guys here can't even say that.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:19 AM   #20
SegRat
High School Varsity

Bump - still looking for help.