Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2003, 03:49 PM   #1
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Mafia

Wow. I haven't had much time to play this yet, but so far I am impressed. This is a test game to see how the new computer works, and my goodness, this game is beautiful. The city, the cars, and the atmosphere of the game really bring you back to the 1930's. Simply amazing.

Gameplay has been a lot of fun, too. You play the role of a ex-taxi driver working his way into the mob. The missions--some driving, some on foot--are diverse, challenging, and fun.

I'll post more later, but so far so good. A big thumbs up.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 11-18-2003 at 03:50 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 03:56 PM   #2
Bee
Pro Starter

A little late on this one aren't you? Didn't this come out like a year ago or something?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
A little late on this one aren't you? Didn't this come out like a year ago or something?

I'm still playing X-COM, and that was released, what, ten years ago?

You should give me credit for getting to this one so quickly.

Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:39 PM   #4
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

It'd be cheaper now wouldn't it?!?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:14 PM   #5
Calis
College Starter

Mafia is an outstanding game..easily my game of the year for last year.

There are some issues, some aggravating AI among other things, but man did I enjoy that game.

The most cinematic game experience I've ever had.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:37 AM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz
I'm still playing X-COM, and that was released, what, ten years ago?

You should give me credit for getting to this one so quickly.

oh yeah, I forgot about that. Congratz on finding a game from this millenium!

I do agree, the game was fun. I ended up losing interest about 2/3rds of the way through the game. Of course, I don't have the attention span to stick with many games anymore. *sigh*
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:25 PM   #7
tucker342
Pro Starter

Mafia is an awesome game. It was close to the top of games of the year for me.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 07:47 PM   #8
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Can someone with no interest in GTA type games but love the theme enjoy this game? It was one of my biggest disappointment when I followed the switch from a FP RPG game to a GTA clone.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 11:33 AM   #9
Calis
College Starter

Definitely.

I don't consider this a GTA clone. It does share the theme of a living type city that you can traverse, but I doubt that is the part you don't like about GTA.

The missions and such don't remind me of GTA. I don't really know how to explain it, but it's different.

It's not at an RPG by any means though, so it's tough to say.

Story is excellent though I thought, and still stands as the game that most feels like a movie I've played. If you like the theme, I imagine you'll like the game.

Completely off the subject here, but Bucc- have you read or seen anything on Spellforce? Some of the folks who worked on Gothic worked on this one, it's supposedly a hybrid RPG with some RTS elements, but the graphics I've seen look outstanding, and I've heard good things from what little I've heard. Might be a winner.

Ok, just had to throw that little threadjack in there.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:25 PM   #10
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I hated this game. If you have no affinity for driving games, stay away.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:59 PM   #11
The_herd
College Starter

I played Mafia for about an hour, quit, and haven't played it since. Gameplay is way to linear and I found the driving sequences quite boring.

Last edited by The_herd : 12-15-2003 at 12:59 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:59 PM   #12
tucker342
Pro Starter

I agree that the driving did get a little bit tedious..... but I still enjoyed the driving, plus I thought the levels were fantastic.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:25 AM   #13
Calis
College Starter

I'm actually not a driving/racing game fan at all and loved it. I can see how the driving would get tedious though, I enjoyed it simply because of the atmosphere that was created, they just did an oustanding job with that I thought.

It is an extremely linear game though, so that's a valid point. Personally though, I didn't expect it to be non-linear at all, so that didn't bother me.

Agree with tucker also, the levels were fantastic aside from some bad teammate AI. The Parking Garage level really sticks out in my mind as being one of coolest things in gaming.

They just announced that a sequel is in the works also, so far no word on what's the deal, but I'll be paying attention to the progress.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:38 PM   #14
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I started playing this earlier this week and I am enjoying it very, very much. It is, however, the most linear game I have ever played. I am up to mission #5 and have found the driving to be fun since in all 3D FP/quasi-FP games, I just love looking at what's around me and this is the first game where I have to pay attention to realistic traffic, stop lights and other rules of the road. I think the world is very immersive (and thank god for the map) while each episode within a mission must be completed successfully from the start, they are fairly short and offer loads of tactical problems to solve.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:39 PM   #15
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I started playing this earlier this week and I am enjoying it very, very much. It is, however, the most linear game I have ever played. I am up to mission #5 and have found the driving to be fun since in all 3D FP/quasi-FP games, I just love looking at what's around me and this is the first game where I have to pay attention to realistic traffic, stop lights and other rules of the road. I think the world is very immersive (and thank god for the map) while each episode within a mission must be completed successfully from the start, they are fairly short and offer loads of tactical problems to solve.

I loved this game. Played it through twice, in fact. Great story, great visual effects...I think I heard they're working on a sequel, which would be great news.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:40 AM   #16
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I played this game last year and really enjoyed it. As another poster stated, it was the first game where you actually had to follow the rules of the road. The cops were a pain if you were so much as caught speeding. Fun game and good story.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:20 PM   #17
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I just got done finishing the final episode after a relentless 2 1/2 weeks of playing. Of all of the (action/adventure/rpg) games I have played, this one probably had the best story. I don't think I had ever gotten so wrapped up in a character. Most, if not all, of the other games I had played in a detached kind of way. Not only did I get involved with the character but with the world as well. It got to the point where I would never nearly every street, building and landmark and while I driving, I would recall past experiences at a place I would drive by. There were some very difficult and frustrating episodes (some of the ones involving intense shootouts) but in all, definitely one of my top 10 gaming experiences and one of my two favorite action games of all time (along with Outlaws). This is the PC version of course (I've heard the console port sucked).
Old 03-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #18
Dutch
"Dutch"

It crapped out on my machine half-way through and I never finished it, for 10 bucks, you might have gotten me intrigued enough to go out and pick it up again (I sold my copy years ago).

But I still remember that moment of my character hanging out in the taxi cab drinking coffee and that baseball bat slams into his window. Scared the heck out of me. It was definately turning into a great PC game story-line.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote