Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2003, 09:37 PM   #1
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

Lightbulb FOFC for job networking

Whether talking about what to wear, having companies lay people off or people hopefully having new doors open as soon as the current one closes, it appears that there are a number of us who are either looking for jobs, or perhaps in the position to have jobs to offer. And as we all know, the secret to finding a job in a tough job market is networking.

I live in the Washington D.C. area (having moved here just over a year ago) and am currently looking for a job. For the past year I have been working part time as a private tutor for a small number of families, but I am now looking for a more permanent position. I had a third job interview for a position (GED Instructor for low income and homeless people) earlier this week, and although I believe I did everything correctly and presented myself well, they decided to hire a different person. So I am back to looking through all the classifieds online.

What I need is a connection, a tip, some networking to point me towards a job. And I know I am not the only one. I think using FOFC as a source of networking might be an answer. Now obviously, not all of us are well known here at FOFC (the cost of lurking perhaps), but I still think there are enough people here that some people could find a bit of help.

If we list our location and the type of job we are looking for, it is possible that someone could step up with beneficial information.

As stated above I live in the DC area and am looking for a non-profit job “helping people”. I have a B.A. in English and a Master’s in Folklore (pending completion of my thesis), so I am much more of the “Liberal Arts” type job candidate.

I think this could be the perfect forum for general advice on job hunting, networking, info on open positions, or anything else that will help everyone be able to indulge in buying every text-sports sim that comes out.

Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:40 PM   #2
TroyF
Coordinator

Denver.

I'd like a job as world ruler. No real qualifications, it just sounds like fun.

If that isn't available, I'll take anything that doesn't involve holding up a sign that says "will work for food"

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 06:25 AM   #3
petrochile
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF

I'd like a job as world ruler. No real qualifications, it just sounds like fun.

TroyF

Why sell yourself short with that? Why not go for the Supreme Overlord of the Universe?
petrochile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 06:31 AM   #4
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

If you aren't aware of it, the Federal jobs website is USAJOBS. It is a good database with search and filtering options. It can be a bit tricky getting the hang of it, but I'd recommend you take a peek and see what's out there (especially you, Kam, in the DC area).

One point to keep in mind: Federal jobs are classified by "series" and there are many different series, sometimes very distinct. Don't narrow your search too much until you know what it is you are looking for.

If anyone has any specific questions, drop me a PM and I can try to help you out.