Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2003, 01:09 PM   #1
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

FOF and IR

I just read an article on Willis McGahee and his possible Activation. Looks like the NFL has a rule:

Quote:
Under NFL rules, Buffalo has until Nov. 5 to determine whether to activate him.

This isn't in FOF, or maybe the rule is more complex. Is it because he was on the injury list at the start of the season? Anyone know the rule? Seems like this could be a good thing to have in FOF. Could add a little more strategy to active status dealie.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:11 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

Yes - this is because he was on the "physically unable to perform" list to start the season. There is no parallel in FOF.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:12 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think this has to do with his being on a "non-football-related" injury list. I know, he injured himself playing football...but for whatever reason, linjuring yourself in a college football game is a "non-football-related" injury.

At least I think that's the answer.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-30-2003 at 01:13 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:42 PM   #4
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I was wondering the same thing, with regards to the Raider who was activated from IR and immediately cut. This was the guy Romo attacked, so I suppose that's considered non-football as well.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:45 PM   #5
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quik is talking about the PUP List. You can be on it for the first 6 or 8 weeks of the season without taking up a roster spot. after that the team needs to cut you, activate you, or put you on IR.

The PUP is like a 15 day DL. once on, you have to ride it to the end.

Non-football related injury is an injury status that affects salary and compensation liabilty and is not linked to the PUP.

Last edited by Fritz : 10-30-2003 at 01:48 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:46 PM   #6
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Yeah, unexplicably punching guys in the face (and ending careers) isn't exactly considered a football-related injury.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:19 PM   #7
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Didn't you see the moron's interview on ESPN? He said he wouldn't blame the concusions for his violent outburst, but then went on to talk about the concusions ad nauseum. He'd wind the thread about violent outbursts throughout the entire interview, relate it as a symptom to concussions, then say how that would be the easy excuse and he wouldn't take it.

They should just drop a cup on the guy and test for every conceivable hormone, pro-hormone, and derivative of such. When they find that he's been stacking 4 different anabolic substances, then he'll have another out.

Interview after the drug tests: "Hey, it could have been the concussions, it could have been decade long abuse of steroids that made me do it. I won't take the easy way out though. Did you know that steroids can cause violent outbursts just like concussions? I'd never use that as an excuse though, besides, it's scientific fact that it happens. I take full responsibility for my actions. The violence the steroids induced in me, the concussions that contributed to it, they are all just facts. I won't deny those facts. I take full responsibility. Obviously I'm a good guy."
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:27 PM   #8
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Quik is talking about the PUP List. You can be on it for the first 6 or 8 weeks of the season without taking up a roster spot. after that the team needs to cut you, activate you, or put you on IR.

The PUP is like a 15 day DL. once on, you have to ride it to the end.

Non-football related injury is an injury status that affects salary and compensation liabilty and is not linked to the PUP.

Yes this is absolutely correct. After a team has played six games they have up to three weeks to either move the player to the IR, activate them, or cut them. PUP players do count against salary cap and they count for players accruing service time.

Micheal Bennett is a great example of this. If the Vikes had put him on IR he would have been paid for this year but it wouldn't have counted against his free agent clock. After his rookie contract was up he would have been a restricted free agent but now he is on track to be unrestricted by the time his contract runs out.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 03:46 PM   #9
Bonegavel

Thanks all for clarifying. Damn NFL rules are a complex beast.

Old 10-30-2003, 03:47 PM   #10
Bonegavel

dola,

and it is probably good that FOF doesn't include it, as it seems very Rare, and would only cause peopel to bitch that it doesn't happen often enough or happens too much.

Old 10-30-2003, 04:09 PM   #11
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
and it is probably good that FOF doesn't include it, as it seems very Rare, and would only cause peopel to bitch that it doesn't happen often enough or happens too much.

This opens up a can of worms really. What do we want from our sports sims? Everyone clearly wants the stats to match up but how many "peripherals" are we interested in? Do we want practice squads? PUP lists? Real incentives to players contracts? Many players have started on practice squads and made the pro bowl later in their career. Almost ever team uses the PUP list on at lesat one player every year so it's not that rare of a thing. What about signing a player to Ricky Williams' rookie contract?

There are obvoiusly many, many, issues coaches and GM's have to deal with that aren't currently simulated. Are we happy with the depth of games like FOF or would we like it to go deeper and take more time per season? I know Skydog wishes he could leave many more features up to the computer so he could happily sim many seasons quickly. A perfect game would let you play at many different levels but I doubt we will be seeing that for a while.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 04:17 PM   #12
Bonegavel

Well, I think Jim alluded to the fact that it is his intention to upgrade the sim over time to eventually add the whole shootin' match.

I, too, would love FOF to simulate all your points and more. I used to grumble that it didn't, but I am slowly understanding that a sim of that magnitude is going to be a long way off. I'm only a third of the way through my expected lifespan, so I hope it isn't that far off.