Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2003, 07:47 PM   #1
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Pick one now: FOF2004 or TPF

In light of the new screenshots released over at .400 and for those of us that really can't afford both games (college students) if you had to choose right now, which game would grace your hard drive?

I still have to go with FOF because I have owned every game and just have a loyalty to it but that game over there looks stunning to say the least.

mtaystl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:50 PM   #2
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

FOF, can't take TPF seriously after seeing the screen shots--they have a team in Los Angeles.

FOF based on history. TPF will have to wait for reviews. If it's good, than I'll get it once I have the spare money for it.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:50 PM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

tpf

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:51 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

FOF right now. But, if I had to pick only one, I would wait for reviews. Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to be able to buy both
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:52 PM   #5
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Not enough information to know yet. If I had to pick one, I'd wait for the reviews.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:53 PM   #6
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

TPF. Done did the FOF thing.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:53 PM   #7
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

fof2004... haven't bought a version since tcy...
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:59 PM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'd have to say FOF, for these reasons:

1. You know what you're getting with FOF (for good or bad), and you know the game is solid with realistic statistical outputs.

2. TPF, no matter how well-tested, is going to have some issues to iron out. I believe that Jim will more than likely not release FOF2005 next year (he'll release either TCY and/or a new game, IMO), while TPF will almost certainly release a version in August/September 2004.

Given those issues, I think the best course of action - and least frustrating - would be to grab FOF now, enjoy it, then wait for next year's version of TPF, which could be phenomenal. This year's version could be as well, but I just don't see a 1st generation game with all of the features they want to put into it being that stable.

Of course, I'm buying both, so I can't wait to find out if they will prove me wrong...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:01 PM   #9
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
TPF. Done did the FOF thing.

My thoughts exactly.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:04 PM   #10
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
2. TPF, no matter how well-tested, is going to have some issues to iron out. I believe that Jim will more than likely not release FOF2005 next year (he'll release either TCY and/or a new game, IMO), while TPF will almost certainly release a version in August/September 2004.

Great point there.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:08 PM   #11
Bad-example
College Starter

FOF2k4, easy choice. I know from past products that Jim will put out a product that is fun for the solo player and will have a solid, easy to use interface.

Until TPF proves it can do the same, I will hold off.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:08 PM   #12
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

FOF. It is so hard to get simulations of this sort right and FOF has come closer than any other game I have ever played (I have not played CM). I still remember how cool it was back in the day when I first found this board and the original FOF. (of course it was the "other board" back then. i still don't understand what happened with all that.)
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:08 PM   #13
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

I will be watching the reviews, forum feedback & trying both demos to see which one best fits my preferences.

Why rush into a decision based on little evidence so quickly when neither game has even been set for release yet?
FloridaFringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:10 PM   #14
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

I understand everybody would logically hold off until the releases and both games are reviewed. Im more asking right now who is leading the race.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:12 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

FOF 2004, but I'll work TPF in as long as it's getting praises.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:13 PM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

FOF2K4

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:14 PM   #17
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

There is no race as has been explained several times before. Both sims albeit the same subject are actually headed in two different directions. Where ever they may end up we the customers will win by having choices instead of only one available option.

That having been said. TPF.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:15 PM   #18
FBPro
College Starter

Both
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:17 PM   #19
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

How quickly things change FloridaFringe.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:19 PM   #20
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

Aye, I actually have been leaning toward TPF for a while now but mostly because FOF 2004 hadn't been announced yet. I really enjoyed FOF 2001 but never saw the need to upgrade to FOF4. Point is that something new will be nice so why not go with TPF since I have been following it for so long now and hold off on FOF 2004 as a backup plan if necessary.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:23 PM   #21
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Aye, truth. I like the way TPF looks and Im big on graphics and logos and good stuff like that but im also HUGE on realism in terms of statistics and other variables. I will prolly go with whichever game comes out first because I want one so bad.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:53 PM   #22
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I'll get both, so yeah, I'm not answering the question.

I'm, if anything, more excited about TPF, simply because it's completely new and unknown. I know, however, that I can sit down and play FOF the minute it's done downloading, and play a good solid game. The only bad part is that it's a game similar to all the fof, fof2, fof2001, fof4, all of which I've played. That being said, I have played all 4 of them, and loved 'em all, so I'm expecting the same of fof2004.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:56 PM   #23
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I didn't like FOF4 pretty much at all. I loved TCY, so I guess I like college games more. But I'm not getting 2004 unless I hear that it's the best thing ever. Otherwise I'm looking forward to reading about TPF, and hope that it is good. If after hearing it didn't have too many bugs I pick TPF easy.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:00 PM   #24
TroyF
Coordinator

The thought process on this is very simple. If you can only buy one game, you must wait for the reviews.

The people of this board will have both games disected in a matter of days. Any game killing bugs will be found with amazing speed.

There isn't any reason to throw money on one of them without knowing what you are going to get.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:07 PM   #25
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

TPF. I just couldn't get into FOF4, and I haven't seen any reason why FOF2004 would entertain me anymore than FOF4 did (Why couldn't it be TCY2? ).
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:07 PM   #26
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Not enough information to know yet. If I had to pick one, I'd wait for the reviews.

But Skydog, you at least to have a some type of knowledge of how TPF will be and based on what Jim has described in his chat, TPF *seems* to be in the lead as features and options are concerned. As a beta tetser, I would imagine that you would have some insight.

...Edit;

then again you might be holding back and for all we know, you may be thinking this is the best football sim ever but due to the NDA, you are not allowed to say anything....

Last edited by maximus : 10-27-2003 at 09:09 PM.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:13 PM   #27
maximus
Banned

~dola

oh ya...forgot to give my answer, TPF....
Old 10-27-2003, 09:15 PM   #28
sabotai
General Manager

"TPF *seems* to be in the lead as features and options are concerned"

*Seems* is right. Since TPF is new, it lists every single thing in the game, regardless of how minor, while Jim only lists the new stuff. (And from QS's diary, there seems to be a lot in the game that Jim never "listed" that is new)

If I HAD to choose, I'd choose FOF because I know I'll be getting a statistically accurate sim, and I know everythign else I'll be getting too. BUT, I'll be getting both (as long as they are playable)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:30 PM   #29
Subby
lolzcat

The TPF multi-player features may be better, but I am guessing the FOF game engine will be light years ahead of first generation TPF.

Easy choice, imo...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:31 PM   #30
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby
The TPF multi-player features may be better, but I am guessing the FOF game engine will be light years ahead of first generation TPF.

Easy choice, imo...

I doubt that it (fof2004) will be "light years" ahead of TPF in terms of game engine.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:34 PM   #31
wbonnell
College Prospect

I'll weigh in with my usual refrain. I am as indifferent about football as many of you are about soccer. I play FOF because I enjoy Jim Gindin games just as many of you play championship manager.

FOF2004
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:42 PM   #32
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by maximus
I doubt that it (fof2004) will be "light years" ahead of TPF in terms of game engine.

What do we have in the way of proof of this? While every screen shot I've seen of TPF is impressive from a detail and graphic standpoint, they all have issues dealing with the engine I'm concerned about.

While I'm also sure most of them will be ironed out before the game is released, we have ZERO idea of how the engine will play out right now.

TPF is a first generation title. FOF is heading toward #5. The odds are TPF will have more problems with its game engine than FOF has. Maybe TPF beats the odds. I'm hoping it does. If I could only buy one game (I'll be getting both), I'd wait for the reviews.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:45 PM   #33
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

I just spent about an hour over looking at some screens and the little talk thats going on at .400 forums and I am slowly being lured by the looks of the game. That could be very misleading. I just wish I could find my copy of TCY and play that until these come out!!! damn!
Old 10-27-2003, 09:47 PM   #34
mckerney
Coordinator

Don't have to chose, I'm getting both.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:48 PM   #35
pjstp20
High School Varsity

TPF, right now, but I'm waiting for reviews. I know FOF is solid but it would be nice to try a new, different football sim.
pjstp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:49 PM   #36
JeeberD
General Manager

Can you talk your parents into buying me a copy of TPF too, MC? I can only afford one, and since I have the $5 coupon, I'm going with FOF...

Old 10-27-2003, 09:50 PM   #37
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

As of right now:

FOF2k4 = 11
TPF = 6
both (even though this is illegal) = 4
wait for reviews = 6
Old 10-27-2003, 09:55 PM   #38
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Can you talk your parents into buying me a copy of TPF too, MC? I can only afford one, and since I have the $5 coupon, I'm going with FOF...

Hey, FOF and TPF are both coming from money made by selling alcohol. And I don't even have a coupon.

Last edited by mckerney : 10-27-2003 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:55 PM   #39
sperril
n00b

I will definitely get FOF2k4. The previous games are just too good for me to pass this one up. I will wait for reviews on this message board before I consider TPF.
sperril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:57 PM   #40
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

TPF
Old 10-27-2003, 10:01 PM   #41
mckerney
Coordinator

Though you'd better get TPF, Jeeber.

Kicking your ass in OOTP and FOF just isn't enough .
Old 10-27-2003, 10:09 PM   #42
JeeberD
General Manager

Start talking smack once you've actually done some ass kicking, liquor-boy...

Old 10-27-2003, 10:14 PM   #43
sony
High School JV

Everyone needs to just wait and see.
sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 10:26 PM   #44
sperril
n00b

Quote:
Everyone needs to just wait and see.

That's crazy talk!
sperril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 10:32 PM   #45
Masked
College Starter

I will probably buy FOF2004 within an hour of the late night release (being on the west coast has an advanage sometimes). Many of the new features address the concerns that I had from 2K1 and FOF4. Most importantly, I know that sim engine will produce realistic results. Eventually, I'll probably get TPF if the reviews are positive.
Masked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 10:39 PM   #46
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

I'm sure I'll end up with both, but if I had to choose it would be fof2004 without a doubt. TPF looks like is has some good features, but it will be a long time before it is a reliable sim. I mean, look at ootp5 and TDCB and they both still have major problems, and the .400 boxing game is so plagued with problems one wonders whether they will ever get it out. I know the programmers for these games are different and it's somewhat like comparing apples to oranges, but one thing for sure is it takes a long time to make a truly solid sim -- not a month or so of beta testing. I expect TPF to come out and be very good in some respects, but have some very deep problems (just like ootp5 still has).

In the long run, I think TPF might end up the better game, but right now FOF is a very solid game with more and more improvements every year. There might be things that could be done better, but you know that what you are buying is a first rate sim.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:39 PM   #47
pjstp20
High School Varsity

Yabanci, care to expand on the problems you have with OOTP5? I myself think its the most solid sports sim out there from top to bottom. Just curious.
pjstp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:44 PM   #48
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by yabanci
I'm sure I'll end up with both, but if I had to choose it would be fof2004 without a doubt. TPF looks like is has some good features, but it will be a long time before it is a reliable sim. I mean, look at ootp5 and TDCB and they both still have major problems, and the .400 boxing game is so plagued with problems one wonders whether they will ever get it out. I know the programmers for these games are different and it's somewhat like comparing apples to oranges, but one thing for sure is it takes a long time to make a truly solid sim -- not a month or so of beta testing. I expect TPF to come out and be very good in some respects, but have some very deep problems (just like ootp5 still has).

In the long run, I think TPF might end up the better game, but right now FOF is a very solid game with more and more improvements every year. There might be things that could be done better, but you know that what you are buying is a first rate sim.

Gee, it's a good thing FOF is "perfect"

Seriously, no game is perfect but I don't really see any deep problems with FOF, OOTP or TCY(except the recruit-a-thon). They all have quirks or things that "I" might want changed but nothing major, maybe I'm just easy to please.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025

Last edited by FBPro : 10-27-2003 at 11:50 PM.
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:34 AM   #49
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by pjstp20
Yabanci, care to expand on the problems you have with OOTP5? I myself think its the most solid sports sim out there from top to bottom. Just curious.

Sure, though I should be clearer that you can't really put ootp in the same boat with tpf, tdcb, and the boxing sim, because ootp is in its fifth edition and I agree it is the best career baseball sim out there.

Just off the top of my head, I think ootp still has problems with the scouting system (some screens you see player card through your scout, others through an average scout or even the other team's scout), the financial coefficiant problems, the player development cycle (but this has been vastly improved with the updates), etc. None of these make it unplayable though.

There are others but no sense bagging on ottp here. If you look at the fixes to ootp5 in the various patches that since the game came out, you'll see that major problems have been fixed, and this is a game in its 5th edition. I just think it's unrealistic to think that tpf will come out in its first edition as a rock solid sim top to bottom like ottp and fof already are. I mean, a lot of people believed that tdcb as going to be a rock solid basketball sim before it came out, but we know there were major problems with it.

Anyway, I look forward to buying tpf because it looks great and I want to support them so they can put out another version next year.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 05:07 AM   #50
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

FOF2004 since I didn't get FOF4.

I probably will NOT buy both, not necessarily because of financial reasons, but very simply because I just don't have time to seriously play 2 differents sport sims.

Like someone else suggested, I'll probably wait and buy TPF next year (or TPF2 if it's out)