Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2003, 11:38 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's been fun, y'all

Going for a drive. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll find a tree and wrap my car around it.

SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 11:52 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

this is Pat Yellope, David's mother. David left here about 10 minutes ago. Without embarassing him, we are very much worried about him. He was not in the best state of mind.

please, if anybody talks to Dave tonight, please have him call home. We are legitimately worried, and this message scares me. I will be monitoring here if anybody heres anything.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:13 AM   #3
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

SirFoz is fine, just blowing off some steam.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:17 AM   #4
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

"Status: ONLINE!"

liar
Old 10-17-2003, 12:19 AM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

It is possible that he left his computer on FOFC?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:22 AM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just to update what Marmel (is that you Cusefan95?) said. David is Ok.. he just parked the car by some woods, went for a walk.

Joe (my husband) says his hands are a bit raw and bleeding.. apparently Dave well.. took all his anger out against a tree.

I'm just glad he's ok. And I'm sorry for bothering all of you.

Pat.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:25 AM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

MrBug: That's correct. When he went out, I came down to see what was going on and it was left here. I was just hoping someone here had been in contact with him.

I
Old 10-17-2003, 12:26 AM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Sorry.. hit enter..

He's home now. Thank god. Now maybe we can sleep.

Pat Yellope
Old 10-17-2003, 12:36 AM   #9
Suicane75
Coordinator

Damn man, they preempt Friends for one night and this is how you react?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:41 AM   #10
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Man.. thats pretty tasteless Suicane

Seriously Fozzie.. i hope things are ok.. and i'll be praying for you.. if you need someone to talk thats been through alot of junk in their lives just send me a pm.. I'd like to be of some help if i can

Last edited by Ragone : 10-17-2003 at 12:41 AM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:43 AM   #11
Suicane75
Coordinator

She said he was fine
Old 10-17-2003, 01:08 AM   #12
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Hate to be that tree...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:08 AM   #13
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

though I'm glad he's alright.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:10 AM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

That was kind of scary. I thought that he was messing with us at first.

Be safe Foz!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:27 AM   #15
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I hope he's OK.

I also hope this is a lesson. It's not healthy to get so emotionally wrapped-up in things over which you have no control. I love my Mariners (and Huskies) and it pains me when they lose, but you have to be able to keep a healthy perspective.

It sucked when the M's lost to the Yankees in the ALCS two years in a row, but by the time the outcomes were no longer in doubt I was already moving on emotionally. This has been a tough season for my Huskies, but I don't let it ruin the rest of my day when they lose.

Rooting for a favorite team is a great release and can be a bonding experience, but when it's all said and done it's just a game - there's always next season. Your life does not get a do-over though...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 02:02 AM   #16
TroyF
Coordinator

I thought it was a joke as well.

Maybe a mod should delete the thread before he sees this?

I hope you're OK SF.

My most painful loss was the Jags beating the Broncos in the '97 playoffs. I don't think I wanted to wrap my car around a tree, but I was probably in a state of clinical shock. I didn't watch ESPN for a month. Man that loss hurt.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 02:41 AM   #17
Suicane75
Coordinator

Seriously, I didn't mean to be distasteful or mean at all, I was just trying to brighten things up. I remember when Joe Carter hit his shot off of Mitch Williams, I remember feeling alot like I did the moment I found out my grandfather was dead, just a complete emptiness, but it will get better dude, and on some brisk October night in the future when the curse is finnaly lifted, you'll be glad you didn't take on that tree.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:30 AM   #18
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

First off.. I'm sorry about putting my family and also my friends here in a state of worry about my actions.

Now.. about game 7.

It hurts to be the Oracle of Delphi. Ron (VTBub) and myself were talking all during the game, during the break between innings. Later in the game, I joined a chat room with Swaggs, bsak, and other guys from the RWBL.

And I basically pulled a Babe Ruth. I called my freakin shot.

4-0, first and third, 0 out, and we just chased Clemens. Mussina get three quick outs on a K and a DP. I said it to Ron immediately. "That was the high water mark. That was as good as it will get for us".

I knew it wasn't going to be that good the rest of the way. The next couple of innings were a study in torture. The Sox would come close to putting it away, and not do it.

Giambi makes things interesting with two solo shots, and Ortiz crushes one. I really wanted to say.. that's it.. we've broken the Yankees there. But every Red Sox fan alive knew that you couldn't be sure of that till the final out.

Then the 8th inning. Pedro's still throwing hard.. but he was done inside. Done. Empty. I remember screaming at the TV, pleading with Grady Little to take him out. He is the ace, he was dominant for seven innings, but he has limited reserves. Once that thing hits E, he's done. And it cost us that so-precious lead.

The Yankees tie it up, but get no further. Apparently the curse has a flair for the dramatic. I can't even watch any more. I'm sitting at my computer, listening to the TV audio from the other room, and getting more and more sick to my stomach from the stress.

I actually threw up in the ninth or the tenth from the stress. I half joked/half seriously said "This is what a heart attack feels like" in the chat room.

And then the final dagger. Aaron boone. And I could see it coming from innings away. We were dead team walking at that point. Fans and players both.

And I'm pretty much collapsed in front of the TV, crying when that thing goes.

My grandfather argued with my mom on game 6 back in 86. We had a strict bedtime, but he successfully argued that "How often will the Red Sox win the world series?" He had never seen it. He never saw it.

And it just happens.

Again and again and again and.. well you get the point.

It freakin overloaded me. I went for a drive, stopped the first place I could, walked out a bit so I could be sure no one could hear.. and just exploded. I mean, first class nutty, screaming and punching a tree. I won the fight with the tree, I guess, but you should have seen my hands. scraped raw and bleeding. But there was so much anger, so much adrenaline, that I wasn't feeling it till later.

Now I have to go to work, with hands that are actually wrapped in gauze and tape and try to forget about baseball.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:15 AM   #19
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I have a brother who does the same thing sometimes. After football games he lost in high school, my parents and I would go through emotional torture wondering how he would react. It is no fun waiting to find out if someone you love has hurt themselves because of unchecked passion.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:39 AM   #20
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:40 AM   #21
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I never let myself get too emotionally wrapped up in a game. In fact, just a couple of hours after FSU got embarrassed by Miami this past weekend, we went to a Japanese steakhouse for dinner. The cook was trying to shoot shrimp at us (to catch with our mouths - yes, just like we were seals or something), and his shot at me went wide-right and I even made a joke about it.

It's just a game. Just a game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:50 AM   #22
markprior22
High School Varsity

When I was younger I went ballistic over sports. I'm now 40, and while I still love sports, I don't get too high or too low over the outcomes. I am a lifelong Cubs fan so I can relate to the whole Redsox thing. I found it uncanny how their situation mirrored the Cubs so closely. Anyway...when the Cubs lost, I took it very well.

I don't know what to tell you though...when I used to react the way you do, nothing anyone said could change my mindset. Just remember...as upsetting as it is...it's only a game played by rich people that you have no control over. Enjoy your life.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:00 AM   #23
scooper
College Benchwarmer

I'll tell you what, watching my father die was a heck of a lot harder than watching a Boston College field goal in 1993 or watching Joe Montana do it to the Bengals again in 1989.

I'm a big football guy, and I get emotionally wrapped up in it, but sometimes you have to step back and get some perspective. It's really not that important and if it affects your life that bad when a team loses, its only because you let it.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:02 AM   #24
Ksyrup

...or you have money riding on it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-17-2003, 08:20 AM   #25
Subby
lolzcat

No offense, but...

Get some perspective.

I'm glad you are ok.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:34 AM   #26
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby
No offense, but...

Get some perspective.

I'm glad you are ok.
I agree with Subby on both counts.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:50 AM   #27
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

strange thread
Old 10-17-2003, 08:53 AM   #28
Butter
Coordinator

When Ohio St. lost to Wisconsin last weekend, I was in such a bad mood that my wife and I had a fight that lasted until 3 AM.

I really would've preferred sleeping.

I think taking your rage out on a tree really isn't that bad. However, the "suicidal" title of this thread was probably a tad bit over the top.

Hopefully the Sox will pull it out next year. I think they will. I hate Pedro, but I feel bad for teams and their fans when seemingly bad stuff happens like this for no good reason.... especially against the Evil Empire.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:01 AM   #29
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

Wow, you would think that games are just that. Allowing yourself to get into a fight with your wife (with the aid of your bad mood because of a football game) shows that you need to settle down some.

EDIT: I am not coming across as an asshole (or I am not trying to). Its just that life is FAR to important and short to allow that to happen.

Last edited by vulcan : 10-17-2003 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:05 AM   #30
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I used to be that way about sports, until I reached a certain age (probably 15 or 16) when I realized there was other shit way more important in life. Sometimes you just have to let go; win or lose, your life is going to go on just the same.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 09:21 AM   #31
Ksyrup

Actually, I used to be that way as well. You know when it hit me that I needed to get some perspective, was when I realized I was older than the guys I was cheering for/against. Or now, when guys I remember from my school days have all retired or are reaching that point. Or their kids are or will soon be in the majors.

How old will it make some of us feel that Cecil Fielder's kid is the hottest prospect in the minor leagues right now? Once that hits you, you realize living and dying with a team is (or should be) something that is reserved for people (kids) who have yet to take on any meaningful responsibilities in life. It's just different now.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-17-2003 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:33 AM   #32
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by vulcan
EDIT: I am not coming across as an asshole (or I am not trying to). Its just that life is FAR to important and short to allow that to happen.

Says you. It wasn't about football. And she was in a bad mood for a different reason. My wife and I have had some epic arguments in our time. We also love each other very much. If I want to sulk about a football game for a few hours, I'll do that. If she wants to sulk about... (hell, do women need a reason???) then she'll do that. I don't think it's anyone's place to tell other people when NOT to get angry.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:42 AM   #33
Dutch
"Dutch"

Remember that kid who killed his father or brother when Mike Tyson lost to Buster Douglas? He's still in prsion. I wonder if he's still mad that Tyson lost to Douglas?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 09:43 AM   #34
vtbub
College Starter

A lot of people here in Red Sox Nation were too young for our other moments of infamy, 1978 and 1986. It certainly was a stomach punch loss.

Baseball is a game that can break your heart. It's a slow agonizing thing that takes days and days coming to a head before finishing, unlike a football game that's done in three hours.

I had grandparents that would have begged, stolen, and borrowed for the Sox to have won it all in their lifetime, and they never saw it. It really is a big deal up here.

Last night was nowhere near as bad on the nasty charts as '78 and '86. There wasn't a 14 game blown lead in the summer. They didn't pull of a miracle finish against California, only to go into Shea and beat a team that was much better, and then screw themselves at the last second. It's not even as bad as what happened to the Cubs this week.

They played the Yankees even for seven plus games, we have a lot too look forward to. For those who were too young to remember, I can understand being upset, I got held out of school for a day in the 10th grade in '86.

Lets cut the guy some slack.

Last edited by vtbub : 10-17-2003 at 09:44 AM.
vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 09:43 AM   #35
Dutch
"Dutch"

Dola,

And by the way, wouldn't you feel like a complete jackass if you harmed yourself or somebody else because the Red Sox lost to the Yankees and then next year the Red Sox won the whole thing?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 09:44 AM   #36
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69
Says you. It wasn't about football. And she was in a bad mood for a different reason. My wife and I have had some epic arguments in our time. We also love each other very much. If I want to sulk about a football game for a few hours, I'll do that. If she wants to sulk about... (hell, do women need a reason???) then she'll do that. I don't think it's anyone's place to tell other people when NOT to get angry.

Sorry man. I didn't mean to come acroos that way. Your right, I don't have that right to tell other people when not to get angry. I apologize.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited by vulcan : 10-17-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:48 AM   #37
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:

He doesn't have a right to tell you you can't get angry, but if you post it on a message board, he has the right to tell you that if you fight with your wife because you were upset over a football game(I know you said it wasn't about that, but from your original post, it seemed as if it was) he has the right to say he thinks it dumb.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:50 AM   #38
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by vtbub
Baseball is a game that can break your heart.

Didn't Bobby Grich retire after the 1986 season because of the Angels' loss in the playoffs to the Red Sox? I remember a quote from him about how he hated the game after that series and had lost the will to play anymore.

And of course, there's always the Donnie Moore story...
Old 10-17-2003, 09:55 AM   #39
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
He doesn't have a right to tell you you can't get angry, but if you post it on a message board, he has the right to tell you that if you fight with your wife because you were upset over a football game(I know you said it wasn't about that, but from your original post, it seemed as if it was) he has the right to say he thinks it dumb.

And I have a right to say....

oh, hell, this could go on forever!
Old 10-17-2003, 09:57 AM   #40
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

Like I said Butter_of_69, I apologize. I don't want to come across as an ass to anyone. If we were in person talking, I am sure you would have not takin' it that way. However, it was my fault. I should have stated it differently.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:58 AM   #41
vtbub
College Starter

This postseason reminds me of 1986.

Every game a classic, tons of emotion.

Without a doubt the best month of baseball since then.

With Boston gone, I can enjoy the World Series.

GO MARLINS

Old 10-17-2003, 09:59 AM   #42
sturmie
Mascot

my sports pain went away january 4th, 2003 (twas after midnight, january 3rd) when my Buckeyes (one of my teams) finally brought me joy !

see my history below--my teams are the Buffalo Bills, Sabres, Chicago Cubs adn Ohio State--born in Buffalo, grew up in Chicago-land area, went to school at OSU:

1990--Bills--damn u Norwood!
1991-1993--Bills--damn u everyone else on the team!
1993-1999--Buckeyes--damn u Cooper!
1999--Sabres--damn u Hull!
2003--Cubs--damn The Curse!

yeah, it's been a fun ~15 years in sports for me ...i didn't get too emotional about the Cubbies this year b/c i've been through so much in my "sports life". the pain only lasts a little bit, then it fades.

sturmie
sturmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:07 AM   #43
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by vulcan
Like I said Butter_of_69, I apologize. I don't want to come across as an ass to anyone. If we were in person talking, I am sure you would have not takin' it that way. However, it was my fault. I should have stated it differently.

Don't worry about it, vulcan! I was not really upset by that. I guess my point is that sports are very important to some people, and losses like these are hard to get over emotionally. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with being emotionally into a game, but there is a point where it crosses the line. But people should lay off the "get some perspective" talk. Just because he was incredibly hurt by the loss doesn't mean he doesn't have his priorities straight.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:08 AM   #44
vulcan
In The Penalty Box

Old 10-17-2003, 10:10 AM   #45
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
And I have a right to say....

oh, hell, this could go on forever!

I have the right to say that I once tried to have intercourse with a 60 year old lady. I had just turned 21 and told her I would love to pick her vagina off the floor and go to town. Needless to say, my line lacked the proper refinement to get her to touch my weiner.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:16 AM   #46
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
. But people should lay off the "get some perspective" talk.

Bull. Emotions are OK. Anger is OK, sadness is OK. But taking those emotions out on someone is not. I get angry when my teams blow a game, but God help me if I ever take that anger out on my wife.

Remember, these responses are to a post that alluded to suicide after a sporting event. It may have been made in jest, but the posts that followed indicated that something might really be wrong. Right there is a perfect example of needing some perspective.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:22 AM   #47
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
Remember, these responses are to a post that alluded to suicide after a sporting event.

Actually, most of them have come since he returned and said he beat up a tree. And cried. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see anything really wrong with that reaction.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:31 AM   #48
vtbub
College Starter

Me Either.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:34 AM   #49
sturmie
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
I have the right to say that I once tried to have intercourse with a 60 year old lady. I had just turned 21 and told her I would love to pick her vagina off the floor and go to town. Needless to say, my line lacked the proper refinement to get her to touch my weiner.
hehe .
sturmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:34 AM   #50
Radii
Head Coach

Go for a walk, don't go for a drive. Glad everything is ok. The one thing I have changed about myself in the last 10 years that has helped me the most is controlling my anger. The #2 thing that has helped me the most is, when I do get mad, I go for a walk, I don't get in my car and start driving around. That's dangerous as hell when you're really *that* upset/angry/hurt/depressed, whatever.

And since the question has sort of been posed, I do see a problem with the reaction of going and beating up a tree. Ok, it's very good that you didnt' hurt anyone else, and its good that you kept yourself under control enough to not seriously hurt yourself, but it would seriously worry me that the reaction was there in the first place. It would make me wonder if you could keep yourself under control and not hurt someone else when you were being hurt personally. What happens if you find out your girl is cheating on you? No matter how much I love my Cubbies, that would hurt 10x worse(and it has happened so I know for sure)... if you got that angry/hurt/upset could you keep it under control and not physically hurt her? That's why I don't think the reaction is okay, I think it tells me other things about a person that would make me scared for his safety in other, potentially more volatile situations.

I'm not trying to lecture or talk at anyone specific here, and I don't mean any offense, but that's how I feel about situations like these.
Radii is online now   Reply With Quote