Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2003, 11:06 PM   #1
44Niners
In The Penalty Box

Reason 5,128 that Bud Selig is full of shit

At the all-star break in defending his decision to have the game decide WS home field advantage he actually said “we need to know ahead of time which team will have home-field advantage, in order to book all the necessary accommodations”

So as I sit here and watch the Red Sox and Yankees in extra innings and the commentators are talking about how the Marlins are waiting to see where they are going to have to go to play game one, that really shows how ludicrous his comment was.

The team with the best record should have home field, period.

44Niners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 11:24 PM   #2
dacman
College Benchwarmer

I had that same thought about a week ago.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:23 AM   #3
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I think they mean they were waiting as to where they were heading, Boston or New York. I believe that the Marlins took off right away to head to NY. I believe they were actually waiting to take off to wherever they were heading to play.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:24 AM   #4
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Re: Reason 5,128 that Bud Selig is full of shit

Quote:
Originally posted by 44Niners

The team with the best record should have home field, period.

No worries, the Yankees have the best record have home field.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:45 AM   #5
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Thumbs down

I hate:

The Yankees
Grady Little
The Yankees
Eric Gagne
The Yankees
The "Sell-Everybody-For-Cash" Reds
The Yankees
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:59 AM   #6
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why Eric Gagne?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:06 AM   #7
sooner333
College Starter

The only logistical issue would be that they issue all of the playoff tickets before the team makes the playoffs. In this case, we know, but lets say that the A's were waiting on the Giants and Marlins. Well, if the Giants won, SF would have home field and play at home for games 1 and 2 and the A's would be on the road. If the Cubs won, the Cubs would go to Oakland for games 1 and 2. You wouldn't be able to sell all of your tickets in advance the same way. In fact, you wouldn't even know if you were playing at home or on the road in game one that would be played in less than 48 hours.

Not that I don't think it could be done, but there is at least some stock in what Bud says.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 02:53 AM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

I don't think that's much of an issue, personally. They sell tickets to the LCS without knowing exactly what the matchup is going to be, and there's PRECISELY the same issues between the LDS and LCS as there are between the LCS and World Series. You don't know which team is going to have the home field advantage in the LCS until the games are played, so that should throw a monkey wrench into ticket sales, shouldn't it?

Doesn't seem to have hurt Chicago or Florida - or, to a lesser extent, Atlanta (I say lesser since about half of those crowds were Cub fans).

If they're having trouble with hotel accomodations for the World Series, all that means is that too goddamn many corporate sponsors are being invited to attend the games, and not enough tickets are being set aside for the fans.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:11 AM   #9
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by SackAttack

If they're having trouble with hotel accomodations for the World Series, all that means is that too goddamn many corporate sponsors are being invited to attend the games, and not enough tickets are being set aside for the fans.

That's a major problem with me and the NFL's Super Bowl. If I buy season tickets to my team and they go all the way, why the heck couldn't I pay face value prices, and why do corporations and "rich" people get them. I think each team should be given atleast 70-80% of the game tickets, or less if not that many ticket holders, and have them to sell to season ticket holders.

Last edited by SunDancer : 10-17-2003 at 03:13 AM.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:15 AM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by SunDancer
I think each team should be given atleast 70-80% of the game tickets...

If each team got 80%, that'd be 160%.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I know what you meant. They could also be used as incentive to buy season tickets for the NEXT year, for that matter. Why does Coca-Cola need 100 tickets? Sheesh.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:44 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They could also be used as incentive to buy season tickets for the NEXT year, for that matter. Why does Coca-Cola need 100 tickets?

I don't know how it is in other markets, but in Atlanta, that'd pretty much be the same thing.

The majority of season tickets are bought by corporate interests anyway.

Heck, I've probably sat in a half dozen season ticket seats in the past decade, every one of them belonged to a corporate entity. And I've never known a single "regular person" who has Braves season tickets, even before they moved to Turner Field.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:57 AM   #12
Samdari
Roster Filler

Re: Reason 5,128 that Bud Selig is full of shit

Quote:
Originally posted by 44Niners
At the all-star break in defending his decision to have the game decide WS home field advantage he actually said “we need to know ahead of time which team will have home-field advantage, in order to book all the necessary accommodations”

Did he really say that??? About replacing a system in which league would host the series was known years in advance with one in which it would be known months in advance? Is Bud not familiar with the concept of relational mathematics?