Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2003, 01:27 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT - The NFL "Jersey Ratio" - and a semi-puzzle

Not long ago, a few friends and I came up with this concept - call it the "Jersey Ratio." Here's the idea:

We know that plenty of fans attending football games like to wear a jersey from their team. Look around the crowd of a typical stadium, an you'll see a sizable share of the fans bedecked in a team jersey of some sort. While some people just get the nameless, faceless jersey (or one with something liek their own name on it), it's clearly much more common for people to wear a jersey of a player that they like or support.

So, for a given player - his "jersey ratio" is the percentage of home team fans, among those wearing team jerseys, who wear that player's jersey (or at least number).

Understand that the player need not be an active player to have a jersey ratio... plenty of people still run around wearing "classic" jerseys of their favorite players from days gone by.

In Washington, for instance, the jersey crowd is pretty well split up among a number of contingents. There are a few current players who get a fair bit of support-- LaVar Arrington (maybe 15-20%), Champ Bailey (maybe about the same), and maybe a bit for the young QB Patrick Ramsey (perhaps 5% or so). Then, there are players who recently departed the team, but the jerseys are still worn due to their owners' sloth, frugality, or perhaps pride. Darrell Green probably gets 10% or so, and Stephen Davis probably has a fair share, too. Then, you can dig back and probably find a smattering of old-time players, too-- John Riggins probably tops that list (Riggins might still have 5-10%), but you'll find a few Sonny Jurgensens and Joe Theismans in the mix as well. My guess is that most NFL cities have a mix of some sort.

And the semi-puzzle...

So, this got me to thinking... what player probably has the highest "jersey ratio" in his home town right now?

I'm sure there's no particular way to say who is right or wrong here, but I have a guess that I think is pretty solid. Who knows, this might be a worthwhile discussion anyway.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:29 PM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

Brett Favre. I would think. Or Mike Vick.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:30 PM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Vick. Maybe Urlacher (hey, I guessed this spelling right!).
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
bigjdotcom01
High School JV

My guess would be Mike Vick.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:31 PM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

Michael Vick sounds like a good choice.

I always like the guys who wear the jerseys of players who no longer play for that team. Going to Colts' games, I always see Faulk and Harbaugh jerseys.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:32 PM   #6
TroyF
Coordinator

In Denver, we have a lot of guys who played in the past. Terrell Davis, Bill Romanowski and Elway may actually have a higher % than any other player.

Leaguewide? Hmmmm. . . Urlacher?

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:33 PM   #7
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I have 3 jerseys my dad bought when I was a kid.

McMahon
McMichael
and the greatest...
Payton
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:34 PM   #8
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'd say Vick, although David Carr would be up there too.

Is this discussion limited to the NFL (as the rules seems to imply)? If not: Mario Lemieux is another one. Who else would you get from the Penguins, other than some Jagr holdouts?

By the way, I thought you couldn't get Arrington jersey's, that he hadn't signed with the NFLPA? Are there really that many people making them themselves?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:39 PM   #9
Celeval
Pro Starter

Vick is way up there - I rarely see any other Falcons jerseys around the streets of Atlanta.

Reggie Ball (#1, Georgia Tech) is another - at least, in comparison to other jersey numbers, not so much in comparison to full crowd.

Kevin
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:42 PM   #10
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok, hometown bias, but I'd say Donovan McNabb. One of the reasons I say this is because in perusing the NFL Shop catalog, I'm always struck by how few options they give for Eagles players. I think this year it might just be limited to McNabb and Staley. And maybe Brian Dawkins (compare that to the Dolphins though, who have about 8 different players available). And I doubt if those Staley jerseys are selling all that well. There might be some Cunningham or Reggie White jerseys floating around out there, but they've been gone for quite a while now.

Carr would be a decent guess too, nobody else from the Texans pops into my mind and the Texans have no history.

edit: wish I had the cataloge here in front of me....oh, and I have an old, cheap Charlie Garner jersey. Funny that this is the second time I've mentioned that to someone today...

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-16-2003 at 01:44 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:43 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

David Carr. No history to compete with.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:44 PM   #12
Bee
Pro Starter

I think Urlacher has the biggest selling jersey, but you'll have quite a few throwbacks from the 85 bears. Vick would probably be my guess, since I doubt there's too many Deion throwbacks.

edit: Just saw David Carr mentioned, that's a good one too. Could be him.

Last edited by Bee : 10-16-2003 at 01:45 PM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:46 PM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hmmm... I was thinking that Brian Urlacher would be my pick... but both Favre and Vick make a lot of sense, too.

Vick hasn't been there long, but geez - who would have been the most common before his arrival? Jamal Anderson, perhaps? Jesse Tuggle?

And in Green Bay, Favre benefits from not only rabid fandom, but also longetivity. Plus, I can't think of any other real standout players there who would give him a real run for his money. Reggie White and Sterling Sharpe probably did okay in their day, but the #4 probably rules the roost.

With Urlacher, it would have to be a function of "no current competition" - I'd guess that the other top figures in Chicago would be Walter Payton and other players from that era - who would want a jersey from anyone who played for the Bears from 1990 to 2000?
Old 10-16-2003, 01:47 PM   #14
Fido
High School Varsity

I agree with Butler - Farve of Vick, but I'd have to give the nod to Farve just because he's been around for so long that the people guilty of "owners' sloth, frugality" are more likely to have one.

Also should throw McNabb into the mix as well.

Last edited by Fido : 10-16-2003 at 01:48 PM.
Fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:51 PM   #15
Franklinnoble
Banned

Re: OT - The NFL "Jersey Ratio" - and a semi-puzzle

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand

In Washington, for instance, the jersey crowd is pretty well split up among a number of contingents. There are a few current players who get a fair bit of support-- LaVar Arrington (maybe 15-20%), Champ Bailey (maybe about the same), and maybe a bit for the young QB Patrick Ramsey (perhaps 5% or so). Then, there are players who recently departed the team, but the jerseys are still worn due to their owners' sloth, frugality, or perhaps pride. Darrell Green probably gets 10% or so, and Stephen Davis probably has a fair share, too. Then, you can dig back and probably find a smattering of old-time players, too-- John Riggins probably tops that list (Riggins might still have 5-10%), but you'll find a few Sonny Jurgensens and Joe Theismans in the mix as well. My guess is that most NFL cities have a mix of some sort.

Actually, La Var Arringtion really shouldn't have ANY jerseys in the crowd at FedEx Field. He still refuses to sign the NFLPA agreement that lets the NFL and the Redskins market his name and likeness. As far as I know, he's the only current player in the NFL to do this.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:52 PM   #16
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I would bet there are more Charger Seau jerseys worn by Charger fans than any current Charger.

Zack Thomas probably leads the Dolphins.

Manning for the Colts.

Eddie George would probably lead the Titans still.

Ray Lewis for the Ravens.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:56 PM   #17
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

The sloth/frugality comment by Quik got me thinking about my favorite activity when spotting football jersey's - rating the riskiness/intelligence of the investment.

For instance: a Clinton Portis jersey looks like it might be synonymous with excellence for the next decade, while anyone picking up an Emmitt Smith Cardinal jersey was simply asking for it.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 10-16-2003 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:58 PM   #18
QuikSand
lolzcat

Re: Re: OT - The NFL "Jersey Ratio" - and a semi-puzzle

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Actually, La Var Arringtion really shouldn't have ANY jerseys in the crowd at FedEx Field. He still refuses to sign the NFLPA agreement that lets the NFL and the Redskins market his name and likeness. As far as I know, he's the only current player in the NFL to do this.

While that is true, I think there's nothing to prevent the local department stores from ginning up and pumping out #56 jerseys with no name... and I see a fair number of them.

But the fact that he's not licensed does probably restrict the number of his... I forgot about that little twist with him. (I don't go to Redskins games, anyway - so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about there)
Old 10-16-2003, 02:00 PM   #19
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
I would bet there are more Charger Seau jerseys worn by Charger fans than any current Charger.

I wonder how long that will conintue to be true? I guess Tomlinson is the obvious guy for right now... but just dosn't seem all that "sexy" (which is certainly part of what sells jersey). Brees? Same deal. I dunno... in five years, Junior might still lead the SD area.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:02 PM   #20
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It must suck to have bought a David Boston Chargers jersey.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:02 PM   #21
JeeberD
General Manager

After being at the Cowboys game a couple of weeks ago I would have to say either Emmitt Smith or Roy Williams. However, the game I went to was the game against Emmitt and the Cards, so that may have brought out a number of Emmitt jerseys that have otherwise been retired.

There were also a surprising number of Joey Galloway jerseys, but I would have to say the largest number of jerseys being worn to a normal Cowboys game would have to go to Roy...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:04 PM   #22
Radii
Head Coach

David Carr sounds like a great choice. My first thought was Vick, but the argument about Houston being a new franchise and having no history to compete with seems like a very strong one.

Because the Bears have such a great history I wouldn't think it would be Urlacher... I would expect to see a large number of McMahon/Payton/Fridge/Butkis/Sayers and maybe other jerseys floating around Soldier Field sponsered by whoever it is.

The falcons don't have such a history and I could see the argument for Vick holding up simply because of the explosiveness of his popularity in the last couple of years, and the fact that you probably won't see to many retro falcons named jerseys floating around.

But I still think Carr makes the most sense. The only question I'd have, having never seen a Texans home game... how many people wear Oilers jerseys to Texans home games?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:06 PM   #23
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
The sloth/frugality comment by Quik got me thinking about my favorite activity when spotting football jersey's - rating the riskiness/intelligence of the investment.
I got a Craig Berube Leafs jersey for Christmas in 2001. He was traded eight days later.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:12 PM   #24
digamma
Torchbearer

I bet in New Orleans there are still a sizeable percentage of Ricky Williams jerseys.

Celeval, the Reggie Ball percentage would be a lot higher if the Georgia Tech bookstore was not so inept, and did not still market AJ Suggs and Tony Hollings jerseys.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:13 PM   #25
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

What about Corey Dillon? Does anyone even own a Bengals' jersey?
Old 10-16-2003, 02:15 PM   #26
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by digamma
I bet in New Orleans there are still a sizeable percentage of Ricky Williams jerseys.

Not as many as one would think. There are still a lot of Turley jerseys, though. We probably have more people wearing a jersey of an ex-offensive lineman than most teams have people wearing jerseys of current o-linemen.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:19 PM   #27
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Vick hasn't been there long, but geez - who would have been the most common before his arrival? Jamal Anderson, perhaps? Jesse Tuggle?

What about Steve Bartkowski?
Billy White Shoes Johnson?
William Andrews?
Gerald Riggs?
Deion Sanders?

Okay, I'm just jokin' - I'd guess Deoin would be the highest former Falcon.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:20 PM   #28
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

For instance: a Clinton Portis jersey looks like it might be synonymous with excellence for the next decade, while anyone picking up an Emmitt Smith Cardinal jersey was simply asking for it.

Using that logic it was smart of me to buy a Robert Horry Rockets jersey instead of a Hakeem jersey back in '96. Looking back, it wasn't very smart of me at all...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:20 PM   #29
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs

I'm guessing the visiting team probably has more jerseys in the stands than the Bengals.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:20 PM   #30
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

True - with such a small sample size, we might get a 100% there. It's not unreasonable to think that all four fans might have the same jersey.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:24 PM   #31
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

What about the Buccaneers? I would guess it is close between Sapp and Derrick Brooks.

I remember seeing a lot of Patriot Bledsoe jerseys in a home game last year for the Patriots.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:24 PM   #32
Kodos
Resident Alien

Aren't the Bengals relatively well supported vs. Arizona? That stadium shot they showed a couple weeks ago was just pathetic.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:25 PM   #33
Kodos
Resident Alien

My Steve Young Buccs jersey is the talk of the town!
Old 10-16-2003, 02:31 PM   #34
korme
Go Reds

There is an abundance of Dillon's in Cincinnati all the time.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:34 PM   #35
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Aren't the Bengals relatively well supported vs. Arizona? That stadium shot they showed a couple weeks ago was just pathetic.

The Bengals sell out about 4 of the 8 home games per year. The season opener, Steelers, Browns, and usually 1 other.

Thanks to the road fans of the Steelers and Browns, usually... and the cockeyed optimism of most fans for that opener.

Honest to God, I have a Ki-Jana Carter #32 Bengals jersey. I think I gave it to my brother after holding out hope for 2 years. There were probably a lot of Takeo Spikes jerseys while he was around, but Corey Dillon is fairly popular now. But it's a pretty broad spectrum.

Last edited by Butter : 10-16-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:34 PM   #36
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
What about Steve Bartkowski?
Billy White Shoes Johnson?
William Andrews?
Gerald Riggs?
Deion Sanders?

Okay, I'm just jokin' - I'd guess Deoin would be the highest former Falcon.

William Andrews was a friggin STUD of a running back, man to have a fullback like that now.

I'd say Vick has the tops.

Last edited by FBPro : 10-16-2003 at 02:34 PM.
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:35 PM   #37
Butter
Coordinator

BTW, I think Carr is probably right on. Like cthomer said, no historical favorites for that franchise. Unless you've got some Oiler holdouts in the seats.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:37 PM   #38
korme
Go Reds

Dude, does anyone ever get the urge to order one of those custom jerseys and get a player that hasn't been a star player but is still recognizable?

I always thought it'd be cool, to say, get an Artrell Hawkins jersey, but everyone pretty much hates him now, so maybe a Brandon Bennett would be a safer choice.

Or I'd love to get a jersey of any medicore back the Bengals had in the 90's:

Ickey Woods
James Brooks
Eric Ball
Eric Bienemy
Harold Green
Old 10-16-2003, 02:39 PM   #39
korme
Go Reds

Dillon wouldn't win around the league because now that I think about it, I see fairly the same amount of Boomer Esiason jerseys.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:40 PM   #40
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
Dude, does anyone ever get the urge to order one of those custom jerseys and get a player that hasn't been a star player but is still recognizable?

A good friend of mine and a fellow Panther supporter recently purchased a custom jersey with Rod Smart's number and had "HE HATE ME" put on the back of it.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:43 PM   #41
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
I always thought it'd be cool, to say, get an Artrell Hawkins jersey, but everyone pretty much hates him now, so maybe a Brandon Bennett would be a safer choice.

You could get a #27 jersey and have "TOAST" put on the back of it.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:43 PM   #42
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
What about the Buccaneers? I would guess it is close between Sapp and Derrick Brooks.

I remember seeing a lot of Patriot Bledsoe jerseys in a home game last year for the Patriots.

I'm sure there are a ton of Keyshawn Johnson and Mike Alstotts as well. When I was thinking about this before I was guessing that Tampa would actually have the lowest leader in jersey ratio. I bet it is very well split between quite a number of players.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:46 PM   #43
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I'm sure there are a ton of Keyshawn Johnson and Mike Alstotts as well. When I was thinking about this before I was guessing that Tampa would actually have the lowest leader in jersey ratio. I bet it is very well split between quite a number of players.

Replying to my own post... I would imagine the Buccs crowd has all of the following in decent proportions:

Warren Sapp
Derrick Brooks
Keywhawn Johnson
Mike Alstott
John Lynch
Ronde Barber
---
Warrick Dunn
Hardy Nickerson

and the occasional QB jersey of Dilfer, King, or Johnson
Old 10-16-2003, 02:55 PM   #44
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'm about to break down and buy my second ever Jaguars jersey. Leftwich of course.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:57 PM   #45
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'd be surprised if Favre was in the top 5 actually. The are just too many players that people have attachments too. Starr, Nitschke, Green, Driver, Sharpe, White, Butler... I don't have a doubt that Favre's % is tops in the stadium, I don't think it would be in the NFL as a percent.

I'd lean towards Vick, Carr, Moss, Manning. Mostly teams with little or no star players in the past. I'd put Urlacher up there maybe but, I bet there are a ton of Payton/Butkus jerseys in there.

I'd put my money on Barry Sanders having the highest % of jerseys for a player no longer playing though...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 03:13 PM   #46
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by damnMikeBrown
I have 3 jerseys my dad bought when I was a kid.

McMahon
McMichael
and the greatest...
Payton

which brings up an important factor - former stars' jerseys still in the mix.

I think it would be Vick as well, especially with this consideration in mind.

Maple Leafs, I don't think hockey would be a valid alternative - true hockey fans LOVE to wear the jerseys of players a bit farther down on the star scale - role players, goons, etc.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:16 PM   #47
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
I don't think hockey would be a valid alternative - true hockey fans are a bit farther down on the scale - goons, etc.

Damn that's harsh.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:25 PM   #48
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Maple Leafs, I don't think hockey would be a valid alternative - true hockey fans LOVE to wear the jerseys of players a bit farther down on the star scale - role players, goons, etc.
True. Tie Domi outsells Mats Sundin in Toronto. Not sure what that says about us...

That said, there was a time in the late 80s when everyone in Canada owned a Wendel Clark jersey. Every single one of us. Sometimes we'd accidentally all wear them on the same day and it got confusing.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:30 PM   #49
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
True. Tie Domi outsells Mats Sundin in Toronto. Not sure what that says about us...

That said, there was a time in the late 80s when everyone in Canada owned a Wendel Clark jersey. Every single one of us. Sometimes we'd accidentally all wear them on the same day and it got confusing.

the oddest part of this is that you all owned Wendel Clark Lightning jerseys.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:35 PM   #50
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
the oddest part of this is that you all owned Wendel Clark Lightning jerseys.
Wendel Clark never played for the Lightning. He played his entire career in Toronto.

(Slips comfortably back into the pleasant warmth of denial.)