Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-15-2003, 08:07 PM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

KERRY! FUCKING! WOOD!

Okay, that's a horrible thread title, I know, but holy SHIT what an at-bat. That might have saved Chicago's season.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:08 PM   #2
Vince
Pro Starter

I agree.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:26 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

All I can say is, if the Cubs make it, the Sox better make it. I want both, or I want neither of them. Either bring on the end of the world in the next week, or leave everything the way it should be.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:29 PM   #4
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

What a amazing at bat for Wood. It was great that Lieter said just before the hit, "Even if Wood doesn't get a hit, atleast he is raising Redman's pitchcount."

2 seconds later. Gone!
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:36 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

A Cubs win will make me very sad. No way I want to see Sosa in the WS.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:40 PM   #6
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

yeah. i hate nice guys who try hard, too
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:49 PM   #7
Vince
Pro Starter

I'll give the obligatory "Nice guys who use cork?" argument.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:54 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Not a *great* thread title, but at least it's all-purpose.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:55 PM   #9
Vince
Pro Starter

True...true

Edit: Damn does Wood look inconsistent tonight. What's going on?

Last edited by Vince : 10-15-2003 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:57 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

No clue, but I think that has to be it for Wood. 5 IP, 6 runs allowed...get Clement in there for an inning or two, and pray the offense can reach Beckett for a couple.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:59 PM   #11
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Such language...is it really called for?
Old 10-15-2003, 09:00 PM   #12
Vince
Pro Starter

If you were watching the game, then I'm thinking you would know the answer to that question (it's yes, by the way).
Old 10-15-2003, 09:10 PM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

In more ways than one, no less.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:16 PM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

I just don't understand the anti-Sosa sentiment Buc. He helped your boy Mac get that HR record a few years ago. Without Sosa pushing him and helping take the media pressure off him, Mac never gets the record. (he was already showing signs of fatigue from the media in MAY!!!)

Sosa deserves to get there every bit as much as any of the other guys in this series. Corking incident aside, he's been terrific for the game of baseball. It's sad that many people cannot see that.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:17 PM   #15
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
All I can say is, if the Cubs make it, the Sox better make it. I want both, or I want neither of them. Either bring on the end of the world in the next week, or leave everything the way it should be.

With ya. Or more along the lines of "give me a reason to watch the world series (Sox vs. Cubs) or no reason at all (Yankees vs. Marlins)." I'm betting Fox is praying for the former match-up pretty hard.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-15-2003 at 09:18 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:20 PM   #16
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Troy, some people love certain players while others hate certain players - in all sports. Just like with teams. It comes with the territory.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:26 PM   #17
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
Sosa deserves to get there every bit as much as any of the other guys in this series. Corking incident aside, he's been terrific for the game of baseball. It's sad that many people cannot see that.

Sad? Nah. I respect Sosa, he's done a lot for the game. If this was last season, I'd be pulling hard for the Cubs. I just can't bring myself to root for a player during a season he was caught corking.

Kevin
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:27 PM   #18
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
With ya. Or more along the lines of "give me a reason to watch the world series (Sox vs. Cubs) or no reason at all (Yankees vs. Marlins)." I'm betting Fox is praying for the former match-up pretty hard.

It's all good to me - it's the World Series. I just think that if they both have a chance, it's only fitting that they play each other for the true title of ultimate loser. It would be like the Super Bowl and Toilet Bowl, rolled into one!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-15-2003, 09:28 PM   #19
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Troy, some people love certain players while others hate certain players - in all sports. Just like with teams. It comes with the territory.

Maybe so, but to cheer against a specific player, especially one who would get his first chance at a ring, I think there has to be deep hatred.

In your case, I really don't understand why. I know you like Junior Seau. Tell me the difference between Sammy and Junior? Both love the game. Both are intense beyond belief. Both of them have the flaw of being too aggressive. Both of them are considered good guys by MOST media outlets, with each having a couple of flare ups over their careers.

I can think of about 40 players off the top of my head that I would rather not see in a World Series than Sammy Sosa. It really wouldn't sadden me to see any of them there. To be honest, I'd be more sad to see Dusty Baker there than I would Sammy.

TroyF
Old 10-15-2003, 09:33 PM   #20
Ksyrup

I think I'd rather see Sosa win the WS than Luria raising the trophy - even though I'd probably be rooting for the Marlins if they made it.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:34 PM   #21
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Troy, I love you to the death, but man, you can't be objective and analytical ALL of the time?
Old 10-15-2003, 09:36 PM   #22
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
In your case, I really don't understand why. I know you like Junior Seau. Tell me the difference between Sammy and Junior? Both love the game. Both are intense beyond belief. Both of them have the flaw of being too aggressive. Both of them are considered good guys by MOST media outlets, with each having a couple of flare ups over their careers.

And both juiced as well?
Old 10-15-2003, 09:45 PM   #23
Aesyrqwe
High School JV

Woohoo! 9-5 TAKE THAT CUBS FANS!!! TAKE THAT!!!

GO CHI SOX!!!

Marlins ova Bo Sox, Pudge FOR MVP!!!!

-Aes-
#8 Grossman
#33 Tillman
Aesyrqwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:35 PM   #24
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
And both juiced as well?

You have no proof Sosa is juiced. We do have proof your boy McGwire was juiced. He kept the andro right in his locker. The anecdotal evidence, such as someone being juiced suffering more injuries also favors Sosa, who has been amazingly healthy throughout his career.

TroyF
Old 10-15-2003, 10:37 PM   #25
bigjdotcom01
High School JV

Quote:
A Cubs win will make me very sad. No way I want to see Sosa in the WS.

Why not?!
Old 10-15-2003, 10:45 PM   #26
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Sorry to the Cubs fan.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:54 PM   #27
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Sorry to the Cubs fan.

He'll live. There are really only two things that sadden me about this:

1) I hate the Marlins owner.

2) My Grandfather is a Cubs fan. I doubt he makes it to next year (if they'd even win next year anyway) I wish he'd gotten to see his team play in the series. Not to worry, he's just a fan, it won't be the defining moment in his life like it seems to be for some people.

TroyF
Old 10-15-2003, 11:18 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You have no proof Sosa is juiced. We do have proof your boy McGwire was juiced. He kept the andro right in his locker. The anecdotal evidence, such as someone being juiced suffering more injuries also favors Sosa, who has been amazingly healthy throughout his career.

TroyF

Just the fact Sosa was caught cheating, changed my feelings on Sosa as a baseball player.... and that's too bad.

It was a great series and I'm still amazed the Marlins pulled it off.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 11:55 PM   #29
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm guessing you arent found of Wilton Guerrero either Buc?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 12:06 AM   #30
Killebrew
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
1) I hate the Marlins owner.

Yeah, seriously - besides that fact I really have no feelings about Florida at all.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:39 AM   #31
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I love you to the death

That's how I want to go, but if its all the same to you Buc, it won't be with you.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:59 AM   #32
KWhit
Coordinator

All the Sosa apologists confuse me. The guy was caught CHEATING! How can you overlook that?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 08:34 AM   #33
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by bigjdotcom01
Why not?!

For the same reason some folks never wanted to see Elway in the SB or glad that Marino never made it.

I truly do feel for the Cubs fans despite my bias.

MrBug: I'm not fond of most players, past or present. Except for a handful (TGwynn, Bench, Mays, Morgan), idolizing players or even rooting for them was never my thing.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:43 AM   #34
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
All the Sosa apologists confuse me. The guy was caught CHEATING! How can you overlook that?

FOFC'ers dig the long ball.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:48 AM   #35
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
For the same reason some folks never wanted to see Elway in the SB or glad that Marino never made it.

Super Bowl XIX?